Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst miscasting role

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,725 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nicholas Cage in every movie he’s been in except Raising Arizona.

Going back in time, but Keanu Reeves as Johnathan Harker (dracula)

Going back in time, but Keanu Reeves as Johnathan Harker (dracula)

Or as Don John in Much Ado About Nothing.

One of the best worst miscasting moments ever though is Mickey Rooney in Breakfast At Tiffany’s. Up there with John Wayne in The Conqueror, total car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

The woeful Sofia Coppola in Godfather 3, she was a last minute replacement for Winona Ryder who would have been perfection in the role.

Or as Don John in Much Ado About Nothing.

One of the best worst miscasting moments ever though is Mickey Rooney in Breakfast At Tiffany’s. Up there with John Wayne in The Conqueror, total car crash.

Or as Chevalier Danceny in Dangerous Liaisons

And I love me some Keanu films to be quite honest. Point Break, Matrix, John Wick, Bill and Ted, Speed, Constantine, and 47 Ronin are all in my DVD/BLU collection

But he was never comfortable looking in period pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

BrenMar wrote: »
    The woeful Sofia Coppola in Godfather 3, she was a last minute replacement for Winona Ryder who would have been perfection in the role.

Godfather 3 is piss anyway, don’t think it matters.

Kevin Spacey as a Dublin gangster loosely based on Martin Cahill in Ordinary Decent Criminal.

Yes thank you, that movie is awful mainly due to Spacey.

Tom Hardy in Locke. I don’t know whether he was just terrible in the role or just the whole movie sucked. I cringed a few times when his character spoke about construction sites.

Speaking of worst Irish character miscasting, have we had Tom Cruise in Far and Away yet? Or Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away? Or Brad Pitt* in The Devil’s Own?

* Nobody say “Brad Pitt in Snatch”, that was classic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Richard Gere in The Jackal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Speaking of worst Irish character miscasting, have we had Tom Cruise in Far and Away yet? Or Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away? Or Brad Pitt* in The Devil’s Own?

* Nobody say “Brad Pitt in Snatch”, that was classic :)

He sure was, boss :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

silverharp wrote: »
    The guy they got to play Solo ,lacked any kind of swagger

I actually thought he was hugely likable. You just had to pretend he wasn't Han Solo.

Time to roll out The Nicolas Cage Matrix :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not the bees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Nonsence, John Voight in the General.

Thought he was terrible in it. Nailed the accent, but chewed the scenery all over the place.

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Daniel Craig as James Bond and Tom Cruise in the Mummy.

Agree with Anne Hathaway being a terrible Catwoman.

2. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Liam Neeson in anything

3. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Nobelium wrote: »
      Liam Neeson in anything

Careful, he might try and find you and when he does...

The dude who hammed it up as Euron Greyjoy.

4. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

tgdaly wrote: »
      Tom Cruise in any film ever

Naw this is totally wrong. He’s a perfectly serviceable actor and very good in some roles - Tropic Thunder is my favourite. Bad in one or two like Eyes Wide Shut, but that’s the movie in general.

If you haven’t watched Tom Cruise because you don’t rate him you’ve missed out on some very serviceable blockbuster and sci fi - from Mission Impossible, War of the Worlds, Minority Report, Jack Reacher, Edge of tomorrow. And more.

In fact if he’s in a stand alone movie like live die repeat/edge of tomorrow it’s probably a good un. He has his pick of scripts.

5. Advertisement
    6. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Naw this is totally wrong. He’s a perfectly serviceable actor and very good in some roles - tropic thunder. Bad in one or two like Eyes Wide Shut, but that’s the movie.

If you haven’t watch Tom Cruise because you don’t rate him you’ve missed out on some very serviceable blockbuster and sci fi - from Mission Impossible, war of the world’s, minority report, Jack reacher, live die repeat etc.

In fact if he’s in a stand alone movie like live die repeat it’s probably a good un. He has his pick of scripts.

Christ, Live Die Repeat all because the American audience couldn't wrap their mind around (On the) Edge of Tomorrow

7. Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Nicholas Cage in the remake of the Wicker man. A desperately bad remake made worse by Cage who was cast in a role that was totally unsuitable for him.

8. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Christ, Live Die Repeat all because the American audience couldn't wrap their mind around Edge of Tomorrow

The former is the better name. Anyway that’s what it is called now on home release.

9. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

That said a spectacular bit of miscasting is Cruise in Interview with the Vampire.

10. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

The former is the better name. Anyway that’s what it is called now on home release.

It really isn't. It doesn't suit the tone of the film at all

11. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

How dare you. You're on "the list" now. You've made a powerful enemy.

12. Advertisement
    13. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

he was also good in Con Air, but yeah, a lot of his performances were wooden duds.

14. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Nobelium wrote:
      he was also good in Con Air, but yeah, a lot of his performances were wooden duds.

How dare you.

15. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How can you imply he wasn't good in Face/Off

tumblr_lugc52TtAi1qznfdeo1_500.gif

16. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Henry Carvill: Superman

17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Cushtie

xabi wrote: »
      Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

Can't read the books now without seeing him. Didnt even watch the film as his casting ruined it for me. always had a Hugh Jackman type image of the character.

18. Advertisement
    19. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Edge of tomorrow is fantastic. Cruise can be very good in the right role.

20. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

tusk wrote: »

Brilliant actor, but stereotyped into certain roles.

21. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Cushtie

tusk wrote: »

Agreed that he is a fantastic actor. Just having read the books first his casting ruined it for me.

22. Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I think it was previously mentioned, but Daniel Craig as James Bond has never felt right. The movies themselves, including Craig, are mostly very entertaining but they have never felt like authentic Bond movies, and it's primarily because of Daniel Craig. He just doesn't have the natural air of sophistication needed to pull it off imo.

Also, Hathaways cat woman was horrendous.

23. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Quandary wrote: »
      I think it was previously mentioned, but Daniel Craig as James Bond has never felt right. The movies themselves, including Craig, are mostly very entertaining but they have never felt like authentic Bond movies, and it's primarily because of Daniel Craig. He just doesn't have the natural air of sophistication needed to pull it off imo.

Agreed, Craig comes across more like a nightclub bouncer. Brosan was also out of depth in that role as well though. Difficult role to cast correctly.

24. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

MfMan wrote: »
      This x 1,000. Throw in Di Caprio and Matt Damon for good measure.

Being more specific, I could never take Henry Fonda as bad guy Frank in Once Upon A Time In The West. A lifetime of playing upright, morally correct characters never seemed too far away from the surface.

Christ, I would love to see who you think is an average actor if Cruise, Di Caprio and Damon are all poor.

Cracked.com had a list this week of roles that should have been played by someone else. Most of them are actually incorrect in my opinion but as someone who absolutely loved the games Timothy Olyphant was completely wrong for Hitman. Granted, the film was garbage too.

Edit;

Link https://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_2550_19-roles-that-should-have-been-played-by-somebody-else/

25. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

It really isn't. It doesn't suit the tone of the film at all, it's light and inconsequential.

26. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Russell Crowe in Les Misérables - ruined the whole film as he can’t sing!

27. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

It really isn't. It doesn't suit the tone of the film at all, it's light and inconsequential.

You going to keep posting this until I agree?

Let’s all just agree to the main point. Cruise is often in good movies and he’s good in those movies.

28. Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

....... wrote: »
      That was a weird one.

And he sort of became, not bulked up, but leaned and ripped for it. He actually looked like someone who had a believable gym physique (as opposed to a Wolverine type physique). But Adrien Brody, in Predators? Just.....why?

Also badly cast in that film was Topher Grace (yer man out of That 70s Show).

I actually thought he was fine in that role, something different and much more believable than say the Dutch character (as great as he is).

The gravelly voice was a bit naff though.

Predators is a hugely underrated Predator flick and much MUCH better than the utter tripe that is The Predator.

29. Advertisement
    30. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭amacca

MfMan wrote: »

I could never take Henry Fonda as bad guy Frank in Once Upon A Time In The West. A lifetime of playing upright, morally correct characters never seemed too far away from the surface.

I'd have to disagree with that. I though he was pitch perfect as an utter c u next Tuesday!

Then again I approached that one fresh without preconceptions etc (hadn't seen many of his previous films so didn't associate him with playing any particular type of character)

31. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Al Pacino in Revoloution. Great actor in the right role but terribly miscast in this.

32. Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
      Tom Hardy in Locke. I don’t know whether he was just terrible in the role or just the whole movie sucked. I cringed a few times when his character spoke about construction sites.

Have to disagree on this.

An excellent movie and in my opinion one of Hardys finest performances.

33. Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Not a movie but i'll throw it out there anyway!

Aiden Gillen as John Boy in Love/Hate.

Simply not believable as a hard man top dog Gangster boss.

34. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Meg Ryan as a US army helicopter pilot during the first Gulf war in Courage Under Fire.

Courage Under Fire doesn't seem to be discussed much anymore but it is a very compelling 90s military mystery/investigation thriller with an absolutely next level performance by Denzel Washington. It has themes of duty, honor and guilt. It also features a young Matt Damon in a supporting role who got dangerously thin for the part.

Meg Ryan's character plays a vital role but is woefully miscast. I don't mind that she was mostly known for romcoms until that point because plenty of actors are talented enough to make the jump to another genre. Melissa McCarthy in the recent Can You Ever Forgive Me springs to mind. But Meg Ryan simply wasn't very good. She is overacting massively with a stupid exaggerated southern drawl. I'm surprised the director didn't ask her to tone it down a few notches.

The movie is still worth a watch though especially for Denzel.

35. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd. He apparently based his singing voice on David Bowie who would have been much better in that role because he's actually English, a fine actor and a top class singer.

36. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

You going to keep posting this until I agree?

Let’s all just agree to the main point. Cruise is often in good movies and he’s good in those movies.

More that it looks like my phone posted, while I was chatting to someone, but went back to the previous screen and I completed the sentence I was typing.
      I was wondering why you were getting snarky! Didn't cop the almost duplicate post til now

37. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Not a movie but i'll throw it out there anyway!

Aiden Gillen as John Boy in Love/Hate.

Simply not believable as a hard man top dog Gangster boss.

I thought the same about John Sheehan. Too pretty.

38. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

brilou23 wrote: »
      Colin Farrell as Alexander the Great

1:15 into this clip. Brilliant. :D

39. Advertisement
    40. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

There’s actually no reason for Alexander not to be played with an Irish accent. He didn’t have an American accent either. Or a British one. Or whatever people think would be normal.

Advertisement