Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭standardg60

KilOit wrote: »
    Looked at some Yucca on the net but couldn't really see the exact one here. i just want to know if i killed it, i chopped the dead woody stalk thing off and cut loads of dead leaves, like to know exactly how to care for it or if it's salvageable

Could be one that caught me out before..
    Beshornernia yuccoides
    And it did look like this year's flowering stem that you cut off!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

that's not a reason on it's own to dig up a plant, to be fair. i wouldn't mind some for my garden, but i'm not that keen on the idea of digging it up in sites i do see it in.
    It's growing up against my back wall and I'm planning on putting in some shrubs this year

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

Hi everyone. I was at the plant fair yesterday in Glin castle and came across this tree. The flowers are like they were drawn using a Spirograph or something, such an even pattern. Any idea what it is?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Gazanias, perhaps?
    gazania-flowers.jpg

Hi everyone. I was at the plant fair yesterday in Glin castle and came across this tree. The flowers are like they were drawn using a Spirograph or something, such an even pattern. Any idea what it is?

It's a mature camellia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oops, I missed the "tree" part. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

Could be one that caught me out before..
    Beshornernia yuccoides
    And it did look like this year's flowering stem that you cut off!

That looks very like it.
    that photo was last year when it bloomed, it was bone dry when i cut it.

Can you tell if i murdered it?
    Note the new growth at the bottom but will the main plant grow another stem?

No, she's grand, don't worry - they're as tough as old boots. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

Thanks guys on the camellia

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Can someone tell me what this tree is?
    It has popped up in a number of places in my garden. It would seem like an odd type of tree for previous owner to plant. Pretty sure it is found growing wild along roads.

• Advertisement

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what this tree is?
    It has popped up in a number of places in my garden. It would seem like an odd type of tree for previous owner to plant. Pretty sure it is found growing wild along roads.

Have you pyracantha growing nearby?
    Roots close to the surface can send up suckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Have you pyracantha growing nearby?
    Roots close to the surface can send up suckers.

There is a small hedge 10-15m away alright that looks similar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats this growing out of my cordyline?

unknown.jpg

Its flowers, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

New Home wrote: »
    Its flowers, perhaps?

Yup, it's flowering. Mine is doing the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone know what the two plants in the attached are? I sowed them a couple of weeks ago and have lost the little packets.

I think they are carrots and onions?

Thanks!

It's a bit early, but tomatoes (at the front) and courgettes/ pumpkins/ squash (at the back*)?

Edit: *Could be cucumbers, too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Stheno wrote: »
    Anyone know what the two plants in the attached are? I sowed them a couple of weeks ago and have lost the little packets.

I think they are carrots and onions?

Thanks!

Not carrots or onions. The ones with the hairy stems and skinny leaves are tomatoes. The others are courgette or cucumber.

Called it. :cool:

:D

Would be interesting to see them now, a couple of days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rebecc29

Anyone have any advice of how to get moss out of your grass? My garden seems to be half and half at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

rebecc29 wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice of how to get moss out of your grass? My garden seems to be half and half at the moment!

Weed and feed appears to be working for me

Called it. :cool:

:D

Would be interesting to see them now, a couple of days later.

Think you guys were right will post another pic in the next day or so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I have three plants/weeds I would appreciate help identifying.

mp3guy wrote: »
    I have three plants/weeds I would appreciate help identifying.

1) Possibly dandelion
    2) I think it's Willowherb
    3) Not sure

1. Not dandelion, but it produces smaller yellow flowers that are quite similar looking. Can't remember the name, though.
    2. Willowherb
    3. Plantago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,920 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

1 could be cat's ear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

1. Not dandelion, but it produces smaller yellow flowers that are quite similar looking. Can't remember the name, though.
    2. Willowherb
    3. Plantago

Is Plantago Narrow leaf plantain by another name?

Plantain, yes, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Thanks for the answers so far, these look correct. Rosebay Willowherb to be exact?

Someone has suggested to me number 1 is narrowleaf hawkweed?

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    Rosebay Willowherb to be exact?
    Yes.

Advertisement