Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

image hopefully attached.
    growing at the base of a couple of sycamore and ash in the lawn.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could be tiger lily - I'd leave it there just to see what it is, curiosity would kill me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

New Home wrote: »
    Could be tiger lily - I'd leave it there just to see what it is, curiosity would kill me. :p

i'm looking at it for 3 years - yet to see it flower. directly in my line of sight from work desk.
    it'll stay for this year

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try to dig around them when they die back, and see if you find anything bulb-wise, maybe they just need to be moved to a better position (for them) to bloom. For instance, we had Jerusalem artichokes at the back of the house (North) for YEARS and they never flowered - Not. One. Single. Bloom. We then moved some to the front (South), and since then every single year we get loads of sunshine on stalks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Hi,
    Can someone tell me what the plant in the photos is?
    It takes over a bed around this time each year. Low level and sprawling.
    Starting to think I’ll get rid of it although it looks ok. Just seems to take over.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Any flowers? Reminds me a bit of bindweed.

The leaves aren't what I'd associate with bindweed... somehow they remind me of honeysuckle, but the leaves aren't quite right for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Shaunoc wrote: »
    image hopefully attached.
    growing at the base of a couple of sycamore and ash in the lawn.
    Maybe a euphorbia...
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1527/8799/products/Euphorbia-Galaxy-Glow-PP-28761.i-12357.s-65527.r-1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1556116775

• This looks like a Vinca or Periwinkle, often won't flower in shade

I don't think it's them, either - I have them in a vase in front of me (and plenty of them in the garden) and both the stems and the leaves are quite different. Of course, it could possibly be a different variety...

• Advertisement

Another photo.

Not sure about flowering tbh. I don’t recall it flowering but I could be wrong.

My suspicion is Japanese honeysuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭standardg60

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Another photo.

Not sure about flowering tbh. I don’t recall it flowering but I could be wrong.

My suspicion is Japanese honeysuckle

Yep I'd agree with honeysuckle

Yep I'd agree with honeysuckle

The next question is - is it something that I should remove? It seems to be a invasive species in some countries. Like I said it has to an extent taken over a bed on one side of the garden. It is a bed however that I haven’t gotten around to doing much with yet though. It does also seem to only really come to my attention around this tome of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes definitely a honeysuckle, I had a pretty varigated/mottled one with the oak-like leaves. Either give it something to grow up (like a tripod or obelisk) or move it to beside a fence.

Edit - doh, I knew there was something wrong with that...not acorn-like, oak-like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭blackbox

Varta wrote: »
    Here we go.

Flowering currant.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭private

North County Dublin, near the sea. Held up with wires.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

any idea what this is, loads of them have appeared in the border, but I don't remember planting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

angeldaisy wrote: »
    any idea what this is, loads of them have appeared in the border, but I don't remember planting them?

That looks like houttuynia cordata. Pretty leaves etc but very invasive - which is why you don't remember planting them. For that reason might be best grown in a pot/planter etc.

private wrote: »
    North County Dublin, near the sea. Held up with wires.

That is cissus striata, a useful evergreen climber for screening.

lottpaul wrote: »
    That looks like houttuynia cordata. Pretty leaves etc but very invasive - which is why you don't remember planting them. For that reason might be best grown in a pot/planter etc.

Yep Joseph's coat for obvious reasons, and the roots spread like bindweed, was all the rage about twenty years ago and I'm still trying to dig it out of gardens. Really needs spraying off if you want rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭private

That is cissus striata, a useful evergreen climber for screening.

Thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Not sure if this is a weed or not. I pull it up each year because I didn't plant it but it keeps coming back. Not sure if it's safe for he dogs.

It's poisonous, but we had dogs (and cats, and other animals) for years and they never went near it. It's known as Lords-and-Ladies, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Arum Maculatum, etc. It does spread easily.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Julian Thundering Ham

Likewise, while poisonous our dogs never touched it - not that they ever ate any garden plants. It's a great addition to any woodland wild flower area.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Thanks, think i will try and dig it out again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,920 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yogibear77 wrote: »
    I pull it up each year because I didn't plant it
    that's not a reason on it's own to dig up a plant, to be fair. i wouldn't mind some for my garden, but i'm not that keen on the idea of digging it up in sites i do see it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

Trying to figure out what this plant is. awful picture i know.
    It has long leaves and large flowering stalk that's completely dried out.

480100.jpg

A yucca, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

New Home wrote: »
    A yucca, probably.

Looked at some Yucca on the net but couldn't really see the exact one here. i just want to know if i killed it, i chopped the dead woody stalk thing off and cut loads of dead leaves, like to know exactly how to care for it or if it's salvageable

• Advertisement

If it's a yucca (like I suspect) that tall dead part is just the stalk of the dead flowers. It doesn't bloom every year, and IIRC some varieties live many many many years, then they flower once, and die straight after that. But yours looks too small/young to be one of those. They're very tough plants.

Advertisement