Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But, but, but the gardai were wearing balaclavas, not their hats?!?!

I wonder if someone was having a shyte on the street would the Garda have had to use his bally to catch it, since he didn’t have his hat??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The government have just pushed this too far, what did they expect I’m surprised it took this long. I hope it blows up on a scale a multiple water protest, this scandal is infinitely bigger! Fair play to those occupying the properties, it’s a hell of a lot more than most are doing about this housing catastrophe, I suppose they should just wait for another few years though ? And according to the Irish government, things will be ok. L! O! L!

You want anarchy yeah?

No law and order and every scrote can do as he pleases?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You want anarchy yeah?

What anarchy was there during the water protests?

Even the Gardai commended the protests in the city centre considering the amount of people in attendance.

A few years on and some people are still trying to demonize those who stood up to FGs water privatisation plans.

It's over lads, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Even the Gardai commended the protests in the city centre considering the amount of people in attendance.

A few years on and some people are still trying to demonize those who stood up to FGs water privatisation plans.

It's over lads, move on.

and our children's children will thank us for it

Have you ever felt the need to thank your grandparents for any of our public services :confused:

I just thanked mine for the odd tenner here and there, and the annual Christmas tin of roses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does gardai getting assaulted and spat on whilst protecting water meter installers doing their job count as anarchy?
    What about scumbag intimidating water meter installer and following them home and posting their details on facebook?
    Yes because the water system will be even better then :rolleyes:

It's over lads, move on.

Link to FGs water privatisation plans?

Does gardai getting assaulted and spat on whilst protecting water meter installers doing their job count as anarchy?
    What about scumbag intimidating water meter installer and following them home and posting their details on facebook?

You wish to redefine the meaning of anarchy? Be my guest.

Besides, no matter how nasty any of the above sounds, it pales in comparison to an actual government TD who was part of a government wanting to introduce water charges - attacking one of his own constituents in a bar with a broken glass all in the name of the water protests.

In comparison we seen a TD who was in opposition to the govt introduce water charges arrested and conspired against by several gardai in a farcical court case that wouldn't have been out of place in a straight to tv movie.

Now, despicable and all as both scenarios were, I'd not use hyperbole such as anarchy, so you and your other spin doctors go take your hyperbole for a sunday drive or something.

Your water services will thank you for it.

You wish to redefine the meaning of anarchy? Be my guest.

Besides, no matter how nasty any of the above sounds, it pales in comparison to an actual government TD who was part of a government wanting to introduce water charges - attacking one of his own constituents in a bar with a broken glass all in the name of the water protests.

In comparison we seen a TD who was in opposition to the govt introduce water charges arrested and conspired against by several gardai in a farcical court case that wouldn't have been out of place in a straight to tv movie.

Now, despicable and all as both scenarios were, I'd not use hyperbole such as anarchy, so you and your other spin doctors go take your hyperbole for a sunday drive or something.

Your water services will thank you for it.

Still waiting on your link?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

You want anarchy yeah?

the scrotes are doing as they please, easy solutions and they are happy with the status quo. (Im referring to FG and FF obviously) I know people who have never claimed welfare living in f*cking garages, there is a thread on boards about a lad living in a van, while trying to save for a house. This isnt just about the homeless believe it or not, its about hard working people totally and utterly f*cked, because its suits FG and their mates best, I voted for them on multiple occasions, not again!

This is the problem here, they adopt an outrageous position on probably the most important thing there is, shelter, the others are total economic incompetents and will no doubt blow the welfare state up even further, no wonder the place is a joke!

On housing, people thinking there should just be a "do what you want approach' despite the cost to society, get real! we live in a bloody society, or at least we are told we do. Hoarding property during a housing catastrophe is like hoarding food during a famine. Those people doing it are societies, @Im alright jacks" I couldnt care less for them, let them make money other ways! They pushed it way too far as usual here and the only thing that will make them deviate, is people power! Its disgusting that it had to go this far and that is entirely on the government. Eoghan Muphy saying it cant be fixed over night, no ****! BUT they have been in power for 8 f**cking years!

WASTERS given houses for free, guaranteed incomes, what stress do they have?! |(I think some deem these the vulnerable) Yet low and middle income earners left in a poisonous position, with a worse standard of living!

the below article hits the nail on the head!

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/north-frederick-street-looks-like-proof-that-the-system-is-conspiring-against-the-people-1.3628003

https://www.cooperative-individualism.org/churchill-winston_mother-of-all-monopolies-1909.htm

The Mother of all Monopolies
    Winston S. Churchill

[From a Speech Delivered at King's Theatre in Edinburgh on 17 July 1909]

It is quite true that land monopoly is not the only monopoly which exists, but it is by far the greatest of monopolies - it is a perpetual monopoly, and it is the mother of all other forms of monopoly. It is quite true that unearned increments in land are not the only form of unearned or undeserved profit which individuals are able to secure; but it is the principal form of unearned increment which is derived from processes which are not merely not beneficial, but which are positively detrimental to the general public.

Land, which is a necessity of human existence, which is the original source of all wealth, which is strictly limited in extent, which is fixed in geographical position. Land, I say, differs from all other forms of property in these primary and fundamental conditions.

Nothing is more amusing than to watch the efforts of our monopolist opponents to prove that other forms of property and increment are exactly the same and are similar in all respects to the unearned increment in land.

• Advertisement

the scrotes are doing as they please, easy solutions and they are happy with the status quo. (Im referring to FG and FF obviously) I know people who have never claimed welfare living in f*cking garages, there is a thread on boards about a lad living in a van, while trying to save for a house. This isnt just about the homeless believe it or not, its about hard working people totally and utterly f*cked, because its suits FG and their mates best, I voted for them on multiple occasions, not again!

This is the problem here, they adopt an outrageous position on probably the most important thing there is, shelter, the others are total economic incompetents and will no doubt blow the welfare state up even further, no wonder the place is a joke!

On housing, people thinking there should just be a "do what you want approach' despite the cost to society, get real! we live in a bloody society, or at least we are told we do. They pushed it way too far as usual here and the only thing that will make them deviate, is people power! Its disgusting that it had to go this far and that is entirely on the government. Eoghan Muphy saying it cant be fixed over night, no ****! BUT they have been in power for 8 f**cking years!

WASTERS given houses for free, guaranteed incomes, what stress do they have?! |(I think some deem these the vulnerable) Yet low and middle income earners left in a poisonous position, with a worse standard of living!

the below article hits the nail on the head!

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/north-frederick-street-looks-like-proof-that-the-system-is-conspiring-against-the-people-1.3628003

Wow you seem to be angry with everyone and every party, your post is all over the place.

Can you tell me in one sentence what you are on about?

Still waiting on your link?

Why?

So you can tell me that the link doesn't mean what it says, etc etc etc, blah blah blah?

The water protests worked, they were fairly successful imo - they forced FGs hand in suspending them, the rest is history.

My guess is this is what ldbatterim is referring to when he mentioned them.

Why?

So you can tell me that the link doesn't mean what it says, etc etc etc, blah blah blah?

The water protests worked, they were fairly successful imo - they forced FGs hand in suspending them, the rest is history.

My guess is this is what ldbatterim is referring to when he mentioned them.

Em no.

I just am asking for a link to your claim.

I’m taking from your lack of a link you are in fact talking absolutel bull**** like 99% of these anti government nonsense groups.

I think the best one was water meters give you cancer.

Bunch of morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wow you seem to be angry with everyone and every party, your post is all over the place.

Can you tell me in one sentence what you are on about?

the government are ideologically opposed to state owned housing, they are making hundreds of thousands of people lives a misery, so a handful of their mates primarily, can benefit. It also helps that hundreds of thousands of their voters are homeowners and or landlords.

the government are ideologically opposed to state owned housing, they are making hundreds of thousands of people lives a misery, so a handful of their mates primarily, can benefit. It also helps that hundreds of thousands of their voters are homeowners and or landlords.

Hold on.

You just ranted that waters are getting housed for free?

Are these waters living in misery?

What mates?

Who are you referring too?

I don’t understand your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,493 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The protesters are very interested in finding out the background of Gardai. I would be interested to find out whether some of the protesters come from families who own property which is empty a lot of the time, like holiday homes.

Or maybe some of them have parents who are landlords, or have property abroad. It would be a bit hypocritical if this turned out to be the case, and I don't think they would appreciate their holiday homes being invaded by a mob.

Em no.

I just am asking for a link to your claim.

Why would I bother digging up links to things you are already well aware of, as you have already discussed them in other threads?

Reasons to believe the water services were to privatised?

We had numerous references to how customers data would be sold (which the govt later pulled citing as an 'error' and the 'privatisation being ultimately envisaged" in the eurostat letter.

Plenty of things to point to privatisation which were always an "error" or "didn't mean what it looks like"

The only thing we have that it would never be privatised was the man reassuring us it wouldn't. Because the man never tells lies or talks through his hoop.
    I’m taking from your lack of a link you are in fact talking absolutel bull**** like 99% of these anti government nonsense groups.

I think the best one was water meters give you cancer.

Were they dressed like Isis terrorists when they said that?:D
    Bunch of morons.

They exist on both sides of every argument.

Why would I bother digging up links to things you are already well aware of, as you have already discussed them in other threads?

Reasons to believe the water services were to privatised?

We had numerous references to how customers data would be sold (which the govt later pulled citing as an 'error' and the 'privatisation being ultimately envisaged" in the eurostat letter.

Plenty of things to point to privatisation which were always an "error" or "didn't mean what it looks like"

The only thing we have that it would never be privatised was the man reassuring us it wouldn't. Because the man never tells lies or talks through his hoop.

Were they dressed like Isis terrorists when they said that?:D

They exist on both sides of every argument.

So you have no link to your claims FG were going to privatise water.

So you were talking bull****.

At least we have established that and can move on.

So you have no link to your claims FG were going to privatise water.

So you were talking bull****.

At least we have established that and can move on.

They're all liars....

Former minister who set up Irish Water says 'forces' at work to privatise company

Wheelibein says so.

Now, for fear of derailing the thread any further, I will leave you at it.

Dunno why you bother though, the water charges ship has sailed, and if yourself and seths sentiments are correct "anarchists won".

Now as much as I would like to go around arguing years old points with you on a Sunday afternoon, the sun is shining here in the south east, and alas I must go off with my wife and enjoy a pint or two overlooking the sea. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That says the opposite of what you actually think it says.

It is a letter from the Irish Government to Eurostat effectively saying why did you mention the possibility of privatisation in your last letter when we have made it clear by including a requirement for a plebiscite in the legislation that privatisation is off the table unless the people decide otherwise?

Of all the thin straws that the conspiracy theorists cling onto, that was the thinnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It's over lads, move on.

Not quite in context but on topic, I note that the RTE 1200pm news bulletin suggests that the Gardaí have initiated a criminal enquiry into the posting of an image of a member of the Gardaí on Facebook after Frederick St.

Looks like the keystones have learned big from Jobstown and are going after the spongs who try to go after serving Gardaí and their families on social media.

Hopefully they will succeed and out these nults and that they do time for those despicable tactics.

Jobbo might have been a Phyrric victory for Murphy and the bullhorn brigade, looks like the keystones are much better prepared now, and not before its time.

It has taken a few years but the true nature of the serial protesters in Ireland is slowly been revealed.

The revelations of racial abuse by protesters last week was another low point, quickly followed by the disgusting attempt to intimidate a Garda by revealing his name and address on one of their Facebook pages.

Are there really any decent people out there who want to be associated with these kind of protests? Can the likes of Paul Murphy, Mick Barry, Clare Daly, Mick Wallace, the Shinners and the rest of the politicians who give succour and support to the protesters really continue to do so?

And still there are the usual suspects defending them on here. That doesn't bother me as much, because they are people hiding behind an anonymous profile and you don't know whether they are doing it just to be provocative (there is at least one that produces the same stock of links and gifs about the government no matter the subject, and I am convinced s/he has no interest in genuine debate, just in upsetting people). But the politicians, have they no decency?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

blanch152 wrote: »
    It has taken a few years but the true nature of the serial protesters in Ireland is slowly been revealed.

The revelations of racial abuse by protesters last week was another low point, quickly followed by the disgusting attempt to intimidate a Garda by revealing his name and address on one of their Facebook pages.

Are there really any decent people out there who want to be associated with these kind of protests? Can the likes of Paul Murphy, Mick Barry, Clare Daly, Mick Wallace, the Shinners and the rest of the politicians who give succour and support to the protesters really continue to do so?

And still there are the usual suspects defending them on here. That doesn't bother me as much, because they are people hiding behind an anonymous profile and you don't know whether they are doing it just to be provocative (there is at least one that produces the same stock of links and gifs about the government no matter the subject, and I am convinced s/he has no interest in genuine debate, just in upsetting people). But the politicians, have they no decency?

Quite correct B.

A few things I noticed is that Murphy and the rest of the bullhorn brigade have been’ fairly absent’ from the front lines of engagement in this ‘campaign’ .

They would seem to prefer to stoke things up from a ..what’s the military term..a remote location?

As I write I hear Horan bleating about balaclavas on Marion Finucane but not balancing it with the activities of a number of those who attended the ‘eviction’ and the follow up activities.

Quite correct B.

A few things I noticed is that Murphy and the rest of the bullhorn brigade have been’ fairly absent’ from the front lines of engagement in this ‘campaign’ .

They would seem to prefer to stoke things up from a ..what’s the military term..a remote location?

As I write I hear Horan bleating about balaclavas on Marion Finucane but not balancing it with the activities of a number of those who attended the ‘eviction’ and the follow up activities.

The lack of common decency among some of our political representatives is staggering. A little bit of respect for the difficult job the Gardai have to do wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

The protesters are very interested in finding out the background of Gardai. I would be interested to find out whether some of the protesters come from families who own property which is empty a lot of the time, like holiday homes.

Or maybe some of them have parents who are landlords, or have property abroad. It would be a bit hypocritical if this turned out to be the case, and I don't think they would appreciate their holiday homes being invaded by a mob.

That would be similar to Asia argento being outed for statutory rape and derailing the #metoo movement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hold on.

You just ranted that waters are getting housed for free?

Are these waters living in misery?

What mates?

Who are you referring too?

I don’t understand your point.

We have 2 distinct groups of parasites that are causing the rest of us unneeded grief.

Parasite A: People who use the dole as a way of life, who have never contributed an iota of effort to benefit their community or wider society.

Parasite B: The wealthy elite. People who are slum landlords. People who pay minimum wage and offer zero hour contracts. Vulture funds. Lately Fine Gael, Labour, Fianna Fail, the leaders of SIPTU

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

DChancer wrote: »
    A free forever home is not a right, nobody has the right to demand that "someone else pay for all my stuff"!

Why do we have a right to demand free healthcare and free public education, then? Who decides which rights are legitimate and which ones are not? Should all healthcare and education be private, and therefore if someone can't afford it well tough sh!t, they can die of treatable cancer while their kids never learn to read and write?

I know you don't agree with the above statements. I'm making them to illustrate how absurd it is that you're making absolutist statements about something else essential for living not being a right, when I'm pretty sure you'll readily agree that healthcare and education are, indeed, rights which are provided for by the state for those who can't afford them.

P_1 wrote: »
    We have 2 distinct groups of parasites that are causing the rest of us unneeded grief.

Parasite A: People who use the dole as a way of life, who have never contributed an iota of effort to benefit their community or wider society.

Parasite B: The wealthy elite. People who are slum landlords. People who pay minimum wage and offer zero hour contracts. Vulture funds. Lately Fine Gael, Labour, Fianna Fail, the leaders of SIPTU

What wage do you propose for everyone seems you don’t think there should be a minimum?

I presume without a minimum wage everyone is on the same wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Because it was 20 times cheaper to build back then.

Is that corrected for inflation? And in either case, why can't we tackle those costs today as a democratic society?

Advertisement