Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

• 11-11-2017 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Continuing on from previous mega thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

repost for new thread

DOXwFYRWkAAscsT?format=png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Rikand wrote: »
    repost for new thread

DOXwFYRWkAAscsT?format=png

Positive from O'Neill there with O'Dowda starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Cant complain about the team
    Long to come on when the Danish legs tire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Solid team, no complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,501 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is Glenn Whelan dead?

Nah he's just nearly 34 and playing in the Championship.

I'll be happy if we see him at some stage as it'll probably mean we are protecting a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Delighted with O'Dowda getting a start, said it during the week wouldn't surprise me if MON gave him a start with his form in his last three league games.

Randolph being immense

Hopefully we can nick some thing
    Go Cyrus

Surely wes has to start on tuesday
    We need some creativity

May need to drop Brady. Leave O Dowda start again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

I'd give my left nut to have Kerr in charge again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Theres no point in talking about Wes starting ...............Its obvious he is not in O Neills plans .

Theres no point in talking about Wes starting ...............Its obvious he is not in O Neills plans .

We need to win
    We need a threat
    We need an alternative to hoofball

Think long should start too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This stat I saw on the BBC surprised me:
    This is the first time that the Republic of Ireland have failed to score in an away international since November 2014. They had found the net in each of their last nine on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Guffy wrote: »
    I'd give my left nut to have Kerr in charge again.
    Why ?
    (Sorry if I am missing something obvious here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

This stat I saw on the BBC surprised me:

Could come back to bite us in the arse on Tuesday not getting an away goal tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Denmark should be ashamed of their approach when they have a player like Eriksen at their disposal.

Would have ripped us apart if they played any football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just get Paddy Power on to sponsor Bentner to score an own goal in the next game and show off his Paddy Power boxers.

Paddy can afford a few pounds to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Denmark should be ashamed of their approach when they have a player like Eriksen at their disposal.

Our players are top level pros.

Put 8 of them in front of you and you need a bit more than Eriksen.

• Advertisement

Our players are top level pros.

Put 8 of them in front of you and you need a bit more than Eriksen.

Imagine if Georgia had an Eriksen.

Not much chat about it, but Randalph was absolutely excellent again.
    Well done that man.

No world class saves tonight, but dealt with everything very well. And a clear man of the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

You're really doing a disservice to how well we can frustrate the life out of an opponent. We've kept clean sheets against far better sides than them in recent years. We got tactics spot on for our extremely limited talent pool.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    You're really doing a disservice to how well we can frustrate the life out of an opponent. We've kept clean sheets against far better sides than them in recent years. We got tactics spot on for our extremely limited talent pool.

I haven't taken anything away from our defensive performance. I'm talking about Denmark and their tactics - hitting long balls for 90 mins when they have a world class assist machine in the middle of the park. How many long balls does it take the Danish management to realise it's not working?

If we don't score first on Tuesday then I would really worry.

I know that seems obvious.

I just don't see how this team, in the way it's set up, could come back from going a goal down in a situation where away goals are important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

noodler wrote: »
    If we don't score first on Tuesday then I would really worry.

I know that seems obvious.

I just don't see how this team, in the way it's set up, could come back from going a goal down in a situation where away goals are important.

We've only conceded 4 in our last 10 competitive fixtures so there's a pretty decent likelihood we don't end up in that situation.

I've every faith on management based on multiple positive results against good sides that we'll scrape through in utterly unconvincing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Rekop dog wrote: »
    We've only conceded 4 in our last 10 competitive fixtures so there's a pretty decent likelihood we don't end up in that situation.

I've every faith on management based on multiple positive results against good sides that we'll scrape through in utterly unconvincing style.
    If we win this tie that's another higher ranking team we've got the better of under MON, there's nothing unconvincing about it.

Who will blink first on Tuesday? Martin O'Neill or Age Hareide?

My money is on MON and Ireland to prevail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

TheCitizen wrote: »
    If we win this tie that's another higher ranking team we've got the better of under MON, there's nothing unconvincing about it.

Who will blink first on Tuesday? Martin O'Neill or Age Hareide?

My money is on MON and Ireland to prevail.
    Correct me if I am wrong but I thought he who blinks first in that situation was on a downer;)

We better not give them two away goals or we will have to bring on Dumbpy’s Irish / Barcelona / Real Madrid players .:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its the great football manager ( Dumby) and all his great Irish /Barcelona / Real Madrid players that I am taking the pee out of there really .

O ‘ Neill plays Anti - Football a lot of the time and its just as well that football is decided on results and not style or artistic impression because :eek:

Daryl Murphy is what he is . One of the reasons O ‘ Neill has him in the team is for set pieces ; Offensive and defensive . Sadly he is about as mobile as a dump truck ( nearly ) We could do with Shane Long in red hot form for the way we are trying to play but sadly he is going through a bad spell ( medium to long bad spell )

For us to play a whole lot differently (successfully anyway ) with that squad we would need an Ericksen / Alaba / a quality above what we currently have .

Lets say we were playing half decent football and were out of contention in groups how much interest would there be . The purists would probably be happier and living in hope but a lot of supporters would lose interest and skedaddle . The Dumbys would be having a field day and get the manager sacked .

We are definitely one really quality midfielder (probably 2 ) and also 1 or two quality forwards short of being a good squad . With Stephen Ward no spring chicken we could do with a good left back as well .

I would not advise any neutral to watch Ireland .

Lets see how we get on the next day . If we can nullify Ericksen are Denmark all that ? If they score we are going to need 2 so we certainly are going to have the option of going attacking the next day so perhaps we will see if this team can play successful attacking football .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

This. I fully get the need at times to keep things tight and I’m also aware that we aren’t a team blessed with the greatest talent. A 0-0 away is not to be sneezed at (even if I personally think we will regret not going for an away goal)

However, there is no excuse for the half dozen times a game (and it happens every game, even against Moldova) where a ball comes to a center back or center mid who has a bit of time, but he just gives it the big agricultural boot forward.

Take a touch and play it to a team mate. Even a pass to a full back who does no more than play it down the line would be an improvement and give Murphy/Long some hope of chasing down the ball.

The instruction to hoof it has to be coming from the sideline. A player hoofing a ball when he has time and space would be ‘hearing about it’ at Sunday league level, never mind at International level.

We aren’t world beaters by any stretch but the players are capable of playing far better football than the are, and still getting the same or better results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Some of the stuff on here is ridiculous. People need to take a step back for a minute and get a grip.

I've given MON plenty of stick in the past. Many times this campaign where I was disappointed in him. But not last night.

I'm all for positive football - but away from home against equal or better teams should be about being difficult to beat, and not taking risks with the ball.

At home the onus is then on you to take the initiative, which granted we haven't done thus far in the campaign. But every game where we now don't push on is met with Dunphy led criticism about play-style.

Jose Mourinho plays the exact same football in away games against big teams. He was being praised for it against Liverpool a few weeks ago.

Tuesday we are at home, and if the performance isn't better it's then that the criticism should be given and questions asked.

Mokuba wrote: »

Jose Mourinho plays the exact same football in away games against big teams. He was being praised for it against Liverpool a few weeks ago.

Wasn't he slated for the same tactics when he lost to chelsea a week later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Some of the stuff on here is ridiculous. People need to take a step back for a minute and get a grip.

I've given MON plenty of stick in the past. Many times this campaign where I was disappointed in him. But not last night.

I'm all for positive football - but away from home against equal or better teams should be about being difficult to beat, and not taking risks with the ball.

At home the onus is then on you to take the initiative, which granted we haven't done thus far in the campaign. But every game where we now don't push on is met with Dunphy led criticism about play-style.

Tuesday we are at home, and if the performance isn't better it's then that the criticism should be given and questions asked.

We took the initiative against serbia at home and got beaten.

We took the initiative against serbia at home and got beaten.

We played poorly against Serbia.

• Advertisement

Why ?
    (Sorry if I am missing something obvious here)

Ah i always felt Kerr got a raw deal. Ya when we took the lead he had a tendancy to stand off ,which cost us v Isreal in particular. But it was the last time i was proper excited to watch an Irish game. Then again i could just be remembering it as better than it was given the tripe we've had since.

I'll say one thing though, and i don't know if there is any truth to Duff's comments last night re game prep, but a Kerr team would have analysed Erikson's play in the build up to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

i cant see much hope on Tuesday
    The managment only know one way and thast defend and have absolutley no plan for when we get the ball ,
    We defend well and just hope for a stroke of luck ,
    They won't have a clue how to approach Tuesday ,
    If we do manage to win , How do people think wed play in the finals ?
    We are hearthbreaking to watch under MON

Guffy wrote: »
    Wasn't he slated for the same tactics when he lost to chelsea a week later?

Not even close , United try to keep the ball when they get it a bit better ,We all know we cant attack teams whoch is fine but our ball retaintion is worse than a bad sunday leauge team ,
    Also Denmark where a long ball team hardly Chelsea , They kept giving it back to us and wed just boot it back to then,
    it was one of the most awful displays of passing iv ever seen ,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

One thing that needs to improve for Tuesday is the delivery for set pieces

Thought Brady was poor enough last night with the set pieces,only once did we get a chance from a delivery when Duffy had that half chance

So we need to practice penalties for the next day then.
    Brady to take one, not sure who else would be a regular penalty taker.
    Long maybe. Hendrick has a good shot on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

We will need to play like we did at home against Serbia only hopefully this time we win.

Last night imo was advantage Denmark. We dont score many goals so the game on Tuesday will be tough. We can play i just hope we do play. They score first and it could be a long night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Not much chat about it, but Randalph was absolutely excellent again.
    Well done that man.

No world class saves tonight, but dealt with everything very well. And a clear man of the match.

After the match last night I said something similar to the lads I was with. Two of them were jumping down my neck; Randolph is weaker than our benched goalies, Westwood playing better and has been constantly playing well at Championship level, Rob Elliot playing at a PL club.

Usually the lads talk sense but this time I thought they were talking absolute sh**e. I think Randolph has done very well with the No 1 jersey. He’s barely put a foot wrong, and for that reason I don’t think dropping him could be justified. He’s a good shot stopper and does well to communicate and organise his defence. I’d like him to play the odd short ball and feel he’s a bit slow sometimes, but I assume they’re his orders from above.

Nice to see I’m not going mad and that in general we agree Randolph is playing well. The lads must’ve been smoking something last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Notorious wrote: »
    After the match last night I said something similar to the lads I was with. Two of them were jumping down my neck; Randolph is weaker than our benched goalies, Westwood playing better and has been constantly playing well at Championship level, Rob Elliot playing at a PL club.

Usually the lads talk sense but this time I thought they were talking absolute sh**e. I think Randolph has done very well with the No 1 jersey. He’s barely put a foot wrong, and for that reason I don’t think dropping him could be justified. He’s a good shot stopper and does well to communicate and organise his defence. I’d like him to play the odd short ball and feel he’s a bit slow sometimes, but I assume they’re his orders from above.

Nice to see I’m not going mad and that in general we agree Randolph is playing well. The lads must’ve been smoking something last night.

Didn't he get man of the match, thought he had a great game myself.

Not even close , United try to keep the ball when they get it a bit better ,We all know we cant attack teams whoch is fine but our ball retaintion is worse than a bad sunday leauge team ,
    Also Denmark where a long ball team hardly Chelsea , They kept giving it back to us and wed just boot it back to then,
    it was one of the most awful displays of passing iv ever seen ,

The headlines on the back pages were critical of his play v chelsea. Just glanced at them at work, didnt read the articles so not going to argue the point.

I agree with you though, Denmark aren't Chelsea. But it feels like, no matter who we play, we set up as you would expect a minnow to set up. Are we really that bad? In the away leg first shouldn't the priority have been to score one moreso than not to concede? A 1-1 at least gives us a little wiggle room. A 0-0 has Denmark as firm favourites to go through. I mean there's always the point that at least we didnt loose 1 or 2 nil i guess. Its just so deflating watching Ireland play.

blinding wrote: »
    Its the great football manager ( Dumby) and all his great Irish /Barcelona / Real Madrid players that I am taking the pee out of there really .

O ‘ Neill plays Anti - Football a lot of the time and its just as well that football is decided on results and not style or artistic impression because :eek:

Daryl Murphy is what he is . One of the reasons O ‘ Neill has him in the team is for set pieces ; Offensive and defensive . Sadly he is about as mobile as a dump truck ( nearly ) We could do with Shane Long in red hot form for the way we are trying to play but sadly he is going through a bad spell ( medium to long bad spell )

For us to play a whole lot differently (successfully anyway ) with that squad we would need an Ericksen / Alaba / a quality above what we currently have .

Lets say we were playing half decent football and were out of contention in groups how much interest would there be . The purists would probably be happier and living in hope but a lot of supporters would lose interest and skedaddle . The Dumbys would be having a field day and get the manager sacked .

Dumby!

Ha ha. That's Dunphy, isn't it? You called Dunphy "Dumby".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ya that something I would like to see as well,play a short ball out to full backs,change it up a bit,but that is not our style

he got Man of the match and hasnt put a foot wrong for Ireland but at club level hes been the worst of the 3 for sometime,
    Christie hasnt been our best right back at club level either , Mark Doherty has been playing better than him for a good 18 months , Mon will stick with them untill they let Ireland down which is probably the correct call

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I made the exact same point about Mourinho in relation to style of play on this thread after that Liverpool stalemate. I know this place is full of Man U and 'pool fans. I don't go into the Man U threads, if you do you get rounded on by their fanboys. Does Mourinho come in for criticism from Irish Man U fans on here for implementing that style of play with far more expensive players to get results?

I watched the panel last night, Brady who didn't last long as a manager himself whingeing as usual. Damian Duff had the temerity to say under Trap we played better stuff at times or something to that extent? That's a total fabrication.

Under MON like many others I wish we could be more expansive in our play but we've defintely been more positive under him than we ever were under Trap. When we got to the Euros under MON we played decent ball v Sweden, Italy and France. Under Trap we drew our way to get to the Euros never beating anyone better ranked than us and when we got there we went out with a whimper. We were pathetic in Poland. So Damian Duff and Liam Brady can stop rewriting history for a start when they're sitting there on the panel.

Let's see what happens on Tuesday. I think we needed a goal last night to tip the tie in our favour. As it stands the tie is still 50/50.

Age Hareide deploys a similar style of play, as does managers like Mourinho. The team with the most courage on Tuesday night will prevail. I'm siding with us there.

If we get to Russia and the shackles are off we can play a bit of football again like we did in France, and not like we didn't do in Poland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ignoring (and neither agreeing or disagreeing with your overall post), I was just want to pull you up on that point.

Mourinho was criticised, and highly in some quarters for the approach to the Liverpool game, both by fans and media.

He had no interest, really, in winning that game against a Pool team that were leaking silly goals with a team that was well able to take it to the opposition.

Anfield or not, it is 11 v 11 and he should have shown a bit less caution in that game.

It's just a sidepoint. Club football in a league, especially so early in a season, is a completely different dynamic than qualifying group international football, never mind playoffs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement