Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Seed and plant swap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭macraignil

Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus) is in season again for root harvest. More information at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWXvY7lTqE

Growing well in North Cork area it is the variety called fuseau and has smoother skin than some others. Looking to swap for anything that will look nice in a fairly exposed garden as landscaping new garden this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Gunnera manicata if someone fancies it Dublin or Laois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Paulownia wrote: »

Blast it. I'd love some of that... One of my favourites. But pesky dublin is hours of driving away. You're not coming to Cork anytime I'd guess.

pwurple wrote: »
    Blast it. I'd love some of that... One of my favourites. But pesky dublin is hours of driving away. You're not coming to Cork anytime I'd guess.

I will be in Cork sometime and bring you some, pm me, are you somewhere near the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

Anyone know where I could buy a mimosa pudica? (Sensitive plant)
    Need it as a gift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Adrianno28

Need it as a gift

Not exactly what youre looking for but close!!! :D

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/acacia-dealbata----mimosa-tree/acacia_mimosa

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

Adrianno28 wrote:
    Not exactly what youre looking for but close!!!

As you said, not quite, but appreciate the reply! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Chili plant seeds. Bought some Madagascan or birds tongue chilis in a supermarket in France last year. Brought them home and dried the seeds. I only need half of them, probably 20 left. Let me know if anyone wants. These are hot hot hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I was able to buy sensitive mimosa seeds online and while back. Can't remember from where, but it grew easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Paulownia wrote: »
    Isn't that very similar to the giant rhubarb (Gunnera tinctoria) which is such a problem on the West coast, esp Achill?

Is there a danger of Gunnera manicata getting out of control too?

Need it as a gift

you could grow it from seed easily, I did once and had dozens of plants, hard to keep it alive on a windowsill though, it really wants a tropical greenhouse in winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

leck wrote: »

Is there a danger of Gunnera manicata getting out of control too?

Apparently not. It's seeds appear to be infertile in Ireland anyway. So it can only move very slowly, by extending the rhizomes outwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

recedite wrote: »
    Apparently not. It's seeds appear to be infertile in Ireland anyway. So it can only move very slowly, by extending the rhizomes outwards.

I have had it for thirty years in my garden and I only have found one seedling in that time. Otherwise I propagate it by division.
    I also have a tiny version of Gunnera, not sure what the type is but the leaves are only an inch or a little more wide which has not really spread at all in the time I have it. It came from Edinburgh botanic garden where there was a large clump.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm looking for a couple of 'old-fashioned' (ie 1970's :)) houseplants - cuttings or babies will be fine. Does anyone have any of these:

Senecio Rowleyanus - String of Pearls, Rosary plant, Irish beads or similar names (looks like long strings of green/white beads) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Senecio_rowleyanus_potted.jpg/450px-Senecio_rowleyanus_potted.jpg

Tolmiea menziesii - Piggyback plant - leaf has baby plant growing from the base of the leaf
    http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/piggyback-plant.html

Kalanchoe daigremontianum - Mexican hat plant, mother of thousands - succulent with lots of tiny plants growing round the edge of each leaf.
    http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/mother-of-thousands.html

Not sure what I can swap, have only spider plants and tradescantia at the moment. Have Japanese anemones, violets, wild strawberry plants (potted) and a few other things that root well.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

Hey looksee, my mother has the rosary plant if you're still wanting :)

Hey looksee, my mother has the rosary plant if you're still wanting :)

Thanks! will pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thought I'd ask the folks on this thread - the beechgrove gardens show on BBC showed them planting cuttings this morning so I guess it's a good time of year for it.

Can I use any plant for this?

Also, do I need to overwinter these indoors? Don't have a green house

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Here's a link to the factsheet for this episode. Details are on page 11.

http://www.beechgrove.co.uk/module_uploads/2/Factsheet2015prog17compressed.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 OscarKane

If you have any ideas of Gardening, plants, ideas, suggestions, tips & tricks and more? Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

@looksee

Hi! So for lateness. Still got you in mind for the rosary vine. Rooting was awful. Potted a couple up now to see if it will get going. Expect them.... eventually! Cheers
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

OscarKane wrote: »
    If you have any ideas of Gardening, plants, ideas, suggestions, tips & tricks and more? Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

Wrong thread but you'll need to be more specific to get any sort of useful answer/any answer

@looksee

Hi! So for lateness. Still got you in mind for the rosary vine. Rooting was awful. Potted a couple up now to see if it will get going. Expect them.... eventually! Cheers
    S

Thanks for that GardeningGirl, you are very good to go to the trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

I have tons of open pollinated seed saved this year including wheat linseed Tom's chilli sweet pepper peas beans quinoa lettuce etc. Open to swap for other open pollinated veg.

iainBB wrote:
    I have tons of open pollinated seed saved this year including wheat linseed Tom's chilli sweet pepper peas beans quinoa lettuce etc. Open to swap for other open pollinated veg.

Hey, fair play to you. I'm interested in growing quinoa as a protein source. I'm a veggie. How do you find it? Where are you located and do you have it under cover? Thanks a mill :)

Hey, fair play to you. I'm interested in growing quinoa as a protein source. I'm a veggie. How do you find it? Where are you located and do you have it under cover? Thanks a mill :)

I am in north Dublin. it grew amazing with a tons of seeds per plant. I am supper impressed with it only grew a test bed of 2m sq this year but next will scale up bit time.
    It was not under cover at all and well suit to our climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 OscarKane

At local seed exchanges, you can give and receive hard-to-find and unusual garden seeds and plants, such as rare heirloom vegetables. You can also save money that you would have spent on more common, trusty-dusty plants.

OscarKane wrote: »
    At local seed exchanges, you can give and receive hard-to-find and unusual garden seeds and plants, such as rare heirloom vegetables. You can also save money that you would have spent on more common, trusty-dusty plants.

Have you a link to them?
    I am looking everywhere for seed swap groups

• Advertisement

iainBB wrote:
    I am in north Dublin. it grew amazing with a tons of seeds per plant. I am supper impressed with it only grew a test bed of 2m sq this year but next will scale up bit time. It was not under cover at all and well suit to our climate.

Sounds great Iain, will definitely try it. Would you please be interested in exchanging some seed?
    I have some rare heirloom broadbean seeds or loads of flower seeds and so on.
    How did your tomatoes go?
    All I can say myself is green chutney, LOTS of green chutney -_-

Advertisement