Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-11-2019, 22:15   #31
scamalert

how the hell window are to small in that pic ? the ones on roof in attic would be 3rd the size on most houses, and those are on first floor, even a good kick would take out entire frame if one was in any danger.

BTW floors look nice and black skirting while not a fan but seems done well.
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 22:45   #32
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet T16 View Post
It's the same as the two downstairs rooms
Measure them and see if they comply.
I gave you the reasons earlier as to how you can classify them as bedrooms. I’m on your side, remember.

Just giving you opinions based on the photo, but measure them in real life.
08-11-2019, 22:47   #33
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamalert View Post
how the hell window are to small in that pic ? the ones on roof in attic would be 3rd the size on most houses, and those are on first floor, even a good kick would take out entire frame if one was in any danger.

BTW floors look nice and black skirting while not a fan but seems done well.
It’s not the whole window you measure. It’s only the opening section that can count towards the area of 0.33 Sq. M, 450mm wide and 750mm tall.

It’s measured while opened too, so the effective clear opening. You have to discount the frames, handles etc
08-11-2019, 22:58   #34
scamalert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
It’s not the whole window you measure. It’s only the opening section that can count towards the area of 0.33 Sq. M, 450mm wide and 750mm tall.

It’s measured while opened too, so the effective clear opening. You have to discount the frames, handles etc
thats actually very small window needed, 50cm total just went to measure my window like in OP pic, and its closer to 60cm with frame just on the part that opens.

thou to just get back i dont see any radiators in the room, might be out of reach of picture could that be contributing factor more likely.
08-11-2019, 23:01   #35
kceire

Quote:
thats actually very small window needed, 45cm total just went to measure my window like in OP pic, and its closer to 55cm without any frame just on the part that opens.

thou to just get back i dont see any radiators in the room, might be out of reach of picture could that be contributing factor more likely.
Open the window fully.
Then measure the clear opening.

The total area needs to be 0.33 Sq. M. With the width a minimum of 450mm of clear opening. That means the height has to be at least 750mm but can be bigger.

The basic old school test and I’ve seen this been done on site over the years, is to see if a 450mm square cube can fit out. That would be a rule of thumb.
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 23:05   #36
scamalert

Quote:
Open the window fully.
Then measure the clear opening.

The total area needs to be 0.33 Sq. M. With the width a minimum of 450mm of clear opening. That means the height has to be at least 750mm but can be bigger.

The basic old school test and I’ve seen this been done on site over the years, is to see if a 450mm square cube can fit out. That would be a rule of thumb.
ok i might measured wrong as a bit hard to follow on pic with an angle, so would he need to measure the one on the right that has another opening at the top if so, then yes i could see it could be a bit short of 75cm height.
08-11-2019, 23:16   #37
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstaSte View Post
That's a bedroom.
I agree

Quote:

Fire regs etc only come into it with attic conversions generally (access/escape).

I don’t agree. Fire regs are applicable to all habitable rooms within a dwelling. Whether that be smoke detection, fire doors, alternative means of escape etc

Not just attics.
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2019, 23:21   #38
InstaSte

Quote:
I agree

I don’t agree. Fire regs are applicable to all habitable rooms within a dwelling. Whether that be smoke detection, fire doors, alternative means of escape etc

Not just attics.
Note I said the word generally, if a room is of standard ceiling height and you have the obvious safety measures in place, a room is a room. Floor area doesn't matter (think box room, bar attic)

I guarantee 90% of agents wouldn't cop a non conforming room other than a converted attic.

A double fronted 3 bed semi? That'll be a 4 bed if you want to call it that.
08-11-2019, 23:56   #39
kceire

Quote:
Note I said the word generally, if a room is of standard ceiling height and you have the obvious safety measures in place, a room is a room. Floor area doesn't matter (think box room, bar attic)

I guarantee 90% of agents wouldn't cop a non conforming room other than a converted attic.

A double fronted 3 bed semi? That'll be a 4 bed if you want to call it that.
I agree. And have stated that in my first posts on page 1 of this thread
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-11-2019, 00:02   #40
scamalert

attic would be generally worse as depending on amounts of windows doubt any of them are45cm length and usually have opening that's on sides of the middle so can only open vertically which leaves few maybe 20cm/sq gap, yet somehow its seems ridicilous that ground floor window would be as not safe.

that aside when conversion was done was there any inspection carried, paperwork issued to terms of how room is classed.

as do believe agents would have no clue aside taking pictures that make places larger then they are and posting adds.

try different company as those estimates etc are free from them and see what another has to say, about that, as their main skill set.
09-11-2019, 00:12   #41
kceire

Quote:
attic would be generally worse as depending on amounts of windows doubt any of them are45cm length and usually have opening that's on sides of the middle so can only open vertically which leaves few maybe 20cm/sq gap, yet somehow its seems ridicilous that ground floor window would be as not safe.

that aside when conversion was done was there any inspection carried, paperwork issued to terms of how room is classed.

as do believe agents would have no clue aside taking pictures that make places larger then they are and posting adds.

try different company as those estimates etc are free from them and see what another has to say, about that, as their main skill set.
Attics are different.
The area of opening remains the same, but with a Velux now, it can be 60mm from the floor, so lower. It also has to be top hung.

Once the Velux is opened it creates a massive opening to escape onto the roof or be rescued, one the correct window is picked, a 980x780 top hung version would be more than suitable.
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 00:57   #42
scamalert

Quote:
Attics are different.
The area of opening remains the same, but with a Velux now, it can be 60mm from the floor, so lower. It also has to be top hung.

Once the Velux is opened it creates a massive opening to escape onto the roof or be rescued, one the correct window is picked, a 980x780 top hung version would be more than suitable.
im not well versed in all the options but do know that in my attic hinges are setup mid frame from both sides, so that leaves tiny gap where head wouldnt fit trought, as they open vertically so any lenght is half. Now wont argue theres different options to those and mine are dunno 10-15 years old.
09-11-2019, 09:06   #43
kceire

Quote:
im not well versed in all the options but do know that in my attic hinges are setup mid frame from both sides, so that leaves tiny gap where head wouldnt fit trought, as they open vertically so any lenght is half. Now wont argue theres different options to those and mine are dunno 10-15 years old.
Sounds like you have centre pivot ones.
Only one needs to be too hung to aid escape.

Make sure they don’t swing both ways. Mine are centre pivot and
Top hung.

Last edited by kceire; 09-11-2019 at 11:12. Reason: Ehh spelling
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 09:17   #44
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Only one needs to be too hung to aid escape.
I would have thought being "too hung" might hinder escape
(3) thanks from:
09-11-2019, 11:03   #45
scamalert

yeah both of them centered so windows can open only vertically, but that aisde point as OP situation seems different, so would be more interesting to hear if hes right or not, since room seems fine well at least from the photo.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion