Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-11-2019, 21:37   #1
Chet T16

4 bed house with 5 bedrooms

We had our house valued today with a view to selling in the new year. Originally the house was a 4 bed dormer with detached garage, soon after it was built (early 90s) the first owners converted the garage and joined it to the house, adding two rooms.

When we bought it there was 4 bedrooms and it was listed as such. The additional rooms being used as a study and a second sitting room. We have changed the usage now with the two rooms in the extension becoming bedrooms and an original smaller bedroom becoming my office.

The estate agent today said we could only sell it as a 4 bed as that's what it originally was. Why is this? Is it a planning thing? Can we do something to change it? For selling should we not have 5 rooms as bedrooms?

Thanks
Advertisement
07-11-2019, 21:47   #2
Bdjsjsjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet T16 View Post
We had our house valued today with a view to selling in the new year. Originally the house was a 4 bed dormer with detached garage, soon after it was built (early 90s) the first owners converted the garage and joined it to the house, adding two rooms.

When we bought it there was 4 bedrooms and it was listed as such. The additional rooms being used as a study and a second sitting room. We have changed the usage now with the two rooms in the extension becoming bedrooms and an original smaller bedroom becoming my office.

The estate agent today said we could only sell it as a 4 bed as that's what it originally was. Why is this? Is it a planning thing? Can we do something to change it? For selling should we not have 5 rooms as bedrooms?

Thanks
There is a variety of spec you have to meet for a bedroom like window size etc. I'm not sure if this is what they mean.
07-11-2019, 22:09   #3
riclad

When you sell the house, there will be photo,s of each room,
and details of size, eg house is 900 sq ft.
it will not make any difference to the sale price.
it will be listed as a house with x no of rooms and 4 bedrooms .
There may be a technical reason why a downstairs room cannot be listed as a bedroom .
maybe it has no windows ,
or the windows cannot be opened in the event of a fire .
07-11-2019, 22:12   #4
appledrop

Yep it cant be classed as bedrooms for fire + safety reasons usually.

Very common with converted attics. People may use them as bedrooms but if they dont have ceiling height + actually fire escape cant be classed as bedrooms in any sale.
Thanks from:
07-11-2019, 22:27   #5
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledrop View Post
Yep it cant be classed as bedrooms for fire + safety reasons usually.

Very common with converted attics. People may use them as bedrooms but if they dont have ceiling height + actually fire escape cant be classed as bedrooms in any sale.
I understand the OP that the converted garage is what the new bedroom is. Not the attic as it was originally a dormer.

One the converted garage complies with the requirements for an additional bedroom then you can call it that. Make sure it’s set out as a bedroom for the viewings and photos.

I personally think the EA is wrong here.
Get the opinion of another EA.
Advertisement
07-11-2019, 22:44   #6
appledrop

No I'd still say cant be classed as bedroom whether attic or garage if it doesn't meet planning/ fire safety regulations.

I was just using attic as an example as more common one.
Thanks from:
07-11-2019, 22:57   #7
appledrop

OP when buying the house did you not get all the documents about the garage extension. This should have outlined all the conditions e.g if non habitable living space etc.

You have to be very careful with attic/garage conversions in Ireland + if they meet all regulations.
07-11-2019, 23:38   #8
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledrop View Post
No I'd still say cant be classed as bedroom whether attic or garage if it doesn't meet planning/ fire safety regulations.

I was just using attic as an example as more common one.
Hence why I said

Quote:
One the converted garage complies with the requirements for an additional bedroom then you can call it that.
I’d like more detail from the OP but it’s very easy to class a converted garage as a bedroom.

Firstly it’s exempt from Planning under certain circumstances.
Then the fire safety requirements are means of escape and alternative means of escape. Once one escape is into the hallway and the other is by way of a compliant window (0.33 Sq. M and min. 450mm wide) then your sorted.
There are of course other building regulations to comply with to class it as a habitable room such as Part L, Part F (room height) etc

I’ve seen many, inspected many and certified many so easily done OP. Just sounds like you got a bad EA by the statement “you can only sell it as per what the house originally had”.

As the poster above mentions, chase up the planning files. For a detached garage to be connected to the house, then there should be a record of Planning.

Also when you bought, your surveyor should have picked up on the alterations and then stated that the certs of compliance or exemption be produced as part of the sales pack.
Thanks from:
07-11-2019, 23:41   #9
Chet T16

From a completely biased and uninformed point of view I could see no issue with them being classed as bedrooms. 2 of the original bedrooms were downstairs with similar windows (4ft with large openings). Of the two extra rooms one has an additional large bay window and the other has a sliding door.

I just know from experience house hunting and scrolling down daft that a 5 bed with stand out against a 4 bed.
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 11:03   #10
pwurple

Our estate agent said that as well, that our downstairs en suite bedroom (with a disabled sized toilet etc) would not be classed as a bedroom for valuation, because it wasn't upstairs.

The odd thing is, when we bought the house though, it was a bungalow and it was the only bedroom. It met every kind of standard about fire access, height, insulation, windows, planning etc according to our engineer and solicitor. It wasn't a no-bedroomed house. We put on the two storey extension with upstairs bedrooms a few years later

So, tbh, I think estate agents just have some rules of thumb on this.
Thanks from:
08-11-2019, 12:00   #11
Envelope436

From a buyers perspective it is easy to see when space has been converted to a bedroom - so even if it is being sold as a 5 bed, once I look at something i can tell it was originally a 4 bed and view it is a such.
08-11-2019, 12:53   #12
ronoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envelope436 View Post
From a buyers perspective it is easy to see when space has been converted to a bedroom - so even if it is being sold as a 5 bed, once I look at something i can tell it was originally a 4 bed and view it is a such.
How much more of a valuation boost would a 5th bedroom actually be? I would assume a lot less than the jump from 3 to 4.
08-11-2019, 13:03   #13
Doop

As long as there is no issue with the rooms being utilised as habitable rooms as per the building regs then there is no reason they couldn't be called bedrooms.

I would question the estate agents reasoning on that one.

Realistically I'm not sure it would affect value but it may affect potential purchasers from coming to see the property ie looking for 5 bed so wont see a four bed. But I would imagine the market of people only looking for a 5 bed is slim seeing as such properties would be thin on the ground. A four bed with an office may of more interest to some...
08-11-2019, 13:11   #14
riclad

You will get a good price based on the size of the house,
there are very few buyers looking for a 5 bed house,
3-4 bedrooms are enough for most people .it would look odd to have a bedroom right beside a kitchen .most of the price of the house is based on location,size of the house,does it have a new kitchen etc
Thanks from:
08-11-2019, 13:13   #15
scamalert

What's on BER cert ? recently getting new one seen that on mine its 4bedroom, even thou one would be closet size at best. maybe office or smth, as long as theres windows radiators think any room could be called bedroom. so really not for estate agent to decide.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion