Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-04-2019, 12:00   #31
PukkaStukka

Planning notice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg notice.jpg (137.9 KB, 156 views)
Advertisement
30-04-2019, 15:01   #32
Morini

Increasing from 252 -> 328 units, fewer houses, more apartments?

There was a recent ABP decision (http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/249206.htm) on a different development in Donabate, where the recommendation was to increase the density beyond what Fingal CoCo had approved. Its possible that having seen this, the Semple Woods developer sees an opportunity to squeeze out more money, and squeeze in more people?

One of the main justifications for this decision is the proximity to the rail station. Another recommendation was a reduction (!) in the number of car parking spaces, again due to proximity to the rail station.
Thanks from:
30-04-2019, 15:05   #33
tomfoolery60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkaStukka View Post
Planning notice
That's under the strategic/fast track plan so it'll be up on ANP rather than Fingal if I understand it correctly. Cheers for the info!

Should be here when it's updated with a link to website with the planning documents: http://www.pleanala.ie/shd/applications/index.htm

Can't see it up yet though.
Thanks from:
01-05-2019, 15:48   #34
Brendan Malarkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery60 View Post
That's under the strategic/fast track plan so it'll be up on ANP rather than Fingal if I understand it correctly. Cheers for the info!

Should be here when it's updated with a link to website with the planning documents:
Can't see it up yet though.
Basically they are replacing all the houses in phase two with apartments and increasing the number of units by 77.

This is what the planning application says:

"The proposed amendments result in an increase in the number of permitted units from 251 to 328 (an increase of 77 no. units).

The proposed amendments include the replacement of 35 no. permitted house units and 62 no. permitted apartment units in apartment blocks 1, 2 and 3, with 174 no. apartments with balconies (67 no. one bed units, 87 no. two bed units and 20 no. three bed units) in 5 no. apartment blocks."

All planning documents are available to view on the donabateshd website.
01-05-2019, 21:40   #35
LotharIngum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morini View Post
Increasing from 252 -> 328 units, fewer houses, more apartments?

There was a recent ABP decision (http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/249206.htm) on a different development in Donabate, where the recommendation was to increase the density beyond what Fingal CoCo had approved. Its possible that having seen this, the Semple Woods developer sees an opportunity to squeeze out more money, and squeeze in more people?

One of the main justifications for this decision is the proximity to the rail station. Another recommendation was a reduction (!) in the number of car parking spaces, again due to proximity to the rail station.

Council have been approaching and striking deals with REITS to lease as many properties as they can buy for 25 years guaranteed. So REITS are then going to builders and buying in bulk. Houses but preferably apartments.
Council encouraging builders to apply for higher density with more apartments with the promise of easy approval.

Council tells builders to apply for more density and more apartments.
Council grants permission.
Council gets REITS to buy on promise of guaranteed rental by council for 25 years.
Its a big circle jerk.

And Donabate is ground zero. Balbriggan too. No doubt it will spread further afield.

That planning will be granted at semple and then they will all or at least the vast majority in the end be council houses but owned by a REIT with the tax payer footing the bill and regular buyers pushed out of the market.
And these estates will be easily 75% council houses and apartments by the end of this process.

That is the new strategy for housing. I have been told by a close relative actually working on the project.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-05-2019, 20:35   #36
PukkaStukka

https://donabateshd.ie/description-of-development/
10-05-2019, 09:52   #37
Sleepy

Unless a solution is found to increasing capacity on the already over-crowded Northern Commuter Line (something CIE are saying can't be done without major works in Connolly), this is a disaster waiting to happen. Sure, Semple Woods is close to the train station but that's not much use to residents if they can't use the train.
25-08-2019, 20:27   #38
albernazj93

Does this mean the won't build the apartments anymore?

"Glenveagh Homes Ltd’s application to replace 35 houses and 62 apartments with a higher-density alternative was rejected – despite the advice of the board’s own inspector."

Have you guys heard something related to this news? Have I understood it correctly?

This sounds good news as I'm buying a house in Semple Woods and did not like the fact they were changing houses for apartments as it would make the village overcrowded.

PS. I can't post the news link as I am a new user. Howerver if you google it there will be a site called dublingazette.
26-08-2019, 01:58   #39
PukkaStukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by albernazj93 View Post
"Glenveagh Homes Ltd’s application to replace 35 houses and 62 apartments with a higher-density alternative was rejected – despite the advice of the board’s own inspector."

Have you guys heard something related to this news? Have I understood it correctly?

This sounds good news as I'm buying a house in Semple Woods and did not like the fact they were changing houses for apartments as it would make the village overcrowded.

PS. I can't post the news link as I am a new user. Howerver if you google it there will be a site called dublingazette.
The developer has two options. They can build as per their original planning permission or resubmit a fresh application which somehow addresses the reasons for the refusal on the recent one.

Personally I think they’ll resubmit a fresh application because if it’s granted, they’ll sell whatever is built to the REIT who has bought a lot of the development already.
Advertisement
17-09-2019, 10:57   #40
kingfisher_

Semple Woods lacks safe pedestrian access to Donabate town and rail station.

Semple Woods lacks safe pedestrian access to Donabate town and rail station. The current footpath between Donabate town and Semple Woods ends abruptly by the filling station. Residents are forced to walk on the main road. Hearse road is very narrow and speeds limit is 80km per hour.

Public statement from Corina Johnston about this mater is below.

"Serious safety concerns must be urgently addressed - Johnston:

Corina Johnston Labour Party Local Area Representative for Donabate and Portrane is calling on Fingal County Council and Glenveagh Properties to urgently address serious safety concerns arising from breaches of planning conditions associated with the Semple Woods Development on the Hearse Road.

Johnston said “The Donabate Local Area Plan states that prior to any units being sold or occupied in the Corballis West Development a continuous footpath connecting the Hearse Road development to the village shall be provided. Despite residents moving into the development in recent weeks the continuous footpath and toucan crossing, which also forms part of the planning permission, has not been completed.

Residents are obliged to walk to and from the village and the train station without the footpath and toucan crossing. This is a serious safety issue and is totally unacceptable. Residents are extremely concerned for their safety when walking along this road and demand action by the council. The safety of residents must be a priority.”

Johnston said “Fingal County Council have informed me that there is an on-going planning enforcement case on this matter and a Warning Letter has been issued to the owner of the lands. This is totally inadequate. Fingal County Council must now instruct the developer to commence these works immediately to ensure the safety of residents in accordance with the planning conditions. This work should be carried out during the night as the Hearse Road is currently closed at night to facilitate other infrastructural works. This is an ideal opportunity for the developer to complete these works with minimal disruption to the wider community”
20-10-2019, 17:02   #41
bilbot79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotharIngum View Post
Council have been approaching and striking deals with REITS to lease as many properties as they can buy for 25 years guaranteed. So REITS are then going to builders and buying in bulk. Houses but preferably apartments.
Council encouraging builders to apply for higher density with more apartments with the promise of easy approval.

Council tells builders to apply for more density and more apartments.
Council grants permission.
Council gets REITS to buy on promise of guaranteed rental by council for 25 years.
Its a big circle jerk.

And Donabate is ground zero. Balbriggan too. No doubt it will spread further afield.

That planning will be granted at semple and then they will all or at least the vast majority in the end be council houses but owned by a REIT with the tax payer footing the bill and regular buyers pushed out of the market.
And these estates will be easily 75% council houses and apartments by the end of this process.

That is the new strategy for housing. I have been told by a close relative actually working on the project.
Your prediction is 75% social housing?
20-10-2019, 20:49   #42
Stopitwillya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbot79 View Post
Your prediction is 75% social housing?
Really like this estate and thinking of buying here as just got a job in Dublin city centre. However very worried about this. Surely this is not allowed.
20-10-2019, 20:56   #43
bilbot79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopitwillya View Post
Really like this estate and thinking of buying here as just got a job in Dublin city centre. However very worried about this. Surely this is not allowed.
People are funny sometimes. The previous poster would have us believe there is an elaborate plot by the government to sabotage our dreams by tricking us into buying houses in the new Darndale. Seems a bit far fetched to me.

Internet people can be very negative and, safe from scrutiny, can say the most outlandish things.
Thanks from:
08-11-2019, 22:36   #44
Bargain_Hound

I have posted about this before, in another Glenveagh development thread. We bought in one and sold within a year. The number of social houses was staggering. Fine in majority of cases but we got unlucky with travelers next door to us. Didn’t take long before a few undesirable behaviors occurred and we said enough is enough. Buyer be warned.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion