Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End to homelessness group on Facebook

Options
  • 17-11-2019 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Just thought I’d share this, it has 60k members and looks like lots of people are planning a march on the 5th of December. I think it’s about time people hit the streets. But I’m not sure how this problem is solved. This group appears to have gained momentum.
    Thoughts ?

Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/487072738687586/?ref=share

Also I’m in no way affiliated with organisers etc of this group and I’m a long time poster here but just thought I’d share as I joined the group and keep reading posts and it makes for pretty depressing reading how badly some are struggling.
    It actually put me in bad humour this morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

It’s always on a weekday, surprised they have any annual leave left in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It’s always on a weekday, surprised they have any annual leave left in December.

How else can they attract the usual rent a mob type protester?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

wednesday and thursday is the best day to do a protest because everyone has gotten their dole and the students are still around.

EDIT : from the welfare website
    The Christmas Bonus will be paid during the week starting 2 December 2019.

Thats going to be some session lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

In what way do people think marching will help end homelessness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

There a massive problem. It's not right. Solutions don't seem to be forthcoming quick. Seen tents outside the Aviva by the Dodder in Ballsbridge this morning. They seem to be popping up everywhere and it's becoming normalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Counter march is required pronto. This country is very generous to those in need.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1117/1092457-focus-ireland-homeless-children/

Had to laugh reading this today.

It says the number of kids born into Homelessness is on the rise.
    Of course it is, if Tom and Mary keep adding more kids to increase they're revenue stream and they didnt have the means to house themselves the kids are invariably born into it too.

What I found funny though was that they say the only solution is to build more social housing.
    The solution is actually to consider what mechanisms in our welfare society are leading to people having kids they cant afford and maybe look to find a solution there since its causing issues like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1117/1092457-focus-ireland-homeless-children/

Had to laugh reading this today.

Of course it is, if Tom and Mary keep adding more kids to increase they're revenue stream and they didnt have the means to house themselves the kids are invariably born into it too.

What I found funny though was that they say the only solution is to build more social housing.
    The solution is actually to consider what mechanisms in our welfare society are leading to people having kids they cant afford and maybe look to find a solution there since its causing issues like this.

Those who are paying their own way for their big mortgage cannot afford to have kids or any kind of a life really.

Heartily sick of the gimme brigade now. Sorry if that offends the SJWs or whoever, but honestly, the pendulum needs to swing back to those who look after themselves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There are many that don't want to be housed or were so terrible they were removed for ruining other people's lives.

The biggest issue is there are way to many charities and it's amazing many don't seem to realise these are big business and pat their CEO nice sums of money and others too.

Look at the amount caught scamming, it's always forgotten.

The government actually gives out huge sums to a lot of these charities too but wages take up a huge amount of the money coming in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Got sick of hearing "Jacinta has been living in a hotel room with her 3 children for the last 14 months, she is 5 months pregnant with er 4th child with no house in sight."

Go f*ck yourself Jacinta. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    There a massive problem. It's not right. Solutions don't seem to be forthcoming quick. Seen tents outside the Aviva by the Dodder in Ballsbridge this morning. They seem to be popping up everywhere and it's becoming normalised.

Every city in the world has homelessness. It's no worse in Dublin than anywhere else.

If one has a roof over their head then they ain't homeless....

The word homeless is used way too much....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Every city in the world has homelessness. It's no worse in Dublin than anywhere else.

Yes, I agree but it seems to getting out of hand. We are always going to have homeless, thats a fact. I'm using my eyes and what I see as I walk around the city every day. The increase in numbers is evident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Well if all 60k of them let one homeless person move in with them then that'll solve a good bit

And they will get lots of likes on their inevitable post bragging about how woke and humble they are

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Its becoming a major issue in the city now...coming home from work on the bus the other night and seeing lines of single tents along the inner wall of the grand canal and it was baltics out......you gotta feel sorry for these people.

I really hate the "end homelessness" argument. You can't just give the majority of homeless a house as they have no life skills and they will destroy it. Have any of ye ever seen the inner workings of a homeless hostel? It's like Beirut. Whilst I agree a lot can be done for them, the money would be better put into addiction services and mental health.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Its becoming a major issue in the city now...coming home from work on the bus the other night and seeing lines of single tents along the inner wall of the grand canal and it was baltics out......you gotta feel sorry for these people.

You do realise people use tents in the Antarctic and other such places.

They have sleeping bags also.

Some of these people are doing so due to the rents which in itself is another story with such extortionate prices.

Some of these people don't want help or it suits their lifestyle such as drink and or drugs and so on.

Sure there are people in tents in killiney too, actually only around the corner from Eddie ervines old house....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

In fairness there’s a lot more the government could be doing with the problems we’re facing but obviously nothing happens overnight. There is clearly a rental market completely out of control. And pricing is getting ridiculous, put aside social housing for a second.

Take a man who has divorced recently. Where is he going to live ? When his kids and wife live in the house he pays for. It’s not always a case of social welfare bums looking for an easy life. There’s plenty with genuine problems. I think people giving out about the social welfare bums and putting all homeless into this category is just convenient for the government because we aren’t focusing on the actual issue and that’s lack of supply and the reason that is, is because regulations for building is too strict, the tax on vacant property is not high enough, and the tax taken from your standard LL is too much to make it worth renting out property or seeing it as an investment opportunity. Landlords are selling up and you’ve got the reits buying up to capitalise on your standard 9-5er.
    It’s an absolute shambolic disaster.
    I lived abroad and I didn’t see the issues as bad as here. It was another European city but we shouldn’t settle for the ridiculously high taxes we pay on absolutely everything. I do understand there’s worse countries but that’s not an argument that’s a lazy way of brushing the issue aside because you can’t be arsed. We should be striving to be a great country.
    I do think we could do with slowing down on the intake of immigrants because we clearly haven’t got a handle on this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Got sick of hearing "Jacinta has been living in a hotel room with her 3 children for the last 14 months, she is 5 months pregnant with er 4th child with no house in sight."

Go f*ck yourself Jacinta. :mad:

If she was doing that in the 1st place, there'd be fewer kids to house ;)

There is a serious issue with the Government supporting rent via HAP and other supports in that a close to 1Bln a year is being spent with no actual return or capital infrastructure/housing growth.

A 1 billion a year spend would translate into a massive bond if finance was sought at even a 2% coupon.
    It would allow near immediate inroads into multiple council waiting lists if those funds were used to build.

The issue arises however that solely "social" housing estates tend to become endemic with anti-social behaviour and other issues.
    The days of large scale "corporation" estates are gone, finding a building model that will allow a mix of social and affordable housing is needed.

Then the issue becomes one of enforcing tenancy agreements, of ensuring tenant responsibility and of course the comensurate Landlord responsibility of good maintainance and so on.

Finding a way to move that @1billion into building accomodation rather than subsidizing rents will allow significant building to take place.

Thats not an issue a mid-week march will address though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Christmas is coming so the usual celebrity suspects will be up for this.
    If one has a roof over their head then they ain't homeless.... The word homeless is used way too much....

The overuse of the term is doing nothing for the genuine cases. Hate the use of the term "crisis" also.
    I lived abroad and I didn’t see the issues as bad as here.

Where did you live? Lived in NY and Houston and Dublin is paradise in comparison when it comes to poverty or homelessness.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »

Where did you live? Lived in NY and Houston and Dublin is paradise in comparison when it comes to poverty or homelessness.

I lived in Finland as I mentioned above just another European city. I’ve been to Berlin a few times and isn’t nearly as bad. We shouldn’t be looking at other cities to judge how bad the problem is.
    When rent is averaging at a full months salary we have serious problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It’s an absolute shambolic disaster.
    I lived abroad and I didn’t see the issues as bad as here. It was another European city but we shouldn’t settle for the ridiculously high taxes we pay on absolutely everything.

Bollox!
    I have not been in a single major European City that doesn't have worse homeless issues than Dublin, or any Irish city.

I spent 4yrs living abroad, and aside from that travelled regularly and fairly extensively across Europe on a professional basis.
    Yes the visibility of the homeless numbers have jumped drastically and dramatically in recent years.

But I'm just back from Birmingham this morning, and if you want to see a Homeless crisis I'd suggest a look at our closest neighbour before decrying Ireland and our current issues as a crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

banie01 wrote: »
    Bollox!
    I have not been in a single major European City that doesn't have worse homeless issues than Dublin, or any Irish city.

I spent 4yrs living abroad, and aside from that travelled regularly and fairly extensively across Europe on a professional basis.
    Yes the visibility of the homeless numbers have jumped drastically and dramatically in recent years.

But I'm just back from Birmingham this morning, and if you want to see a Homeless crisis I'd suggest a look at our closest neighbour before decrying Ireland and our current issues as a crisis.

Was in Manchester last year and the homelessness there was something we noticed. Seemed worse than Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

I lived in Finland as I mentioned above just another European city. I’ve been to Berlin a few times and isn’t nearly as bad. We shouldn’t be looking at other cities to judge how bad the problem is.
    When rent is averaging at a full months salary we have serious problems.

Rent is ridiculous for minimum wage workers, students, young graduates trying to get a start etc. How are they supposed to manage really seems like no one cares. Have nieces and nephews in college or just graduated and the rent costs are just staggering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

It is also annoying me. At first I felt sorry for the members but now it seems to be a 'who has it morenbad' competition.

Everyday I'm seeing stories of fully able bodied people that don't work. Waiting ten years on a house from the council, with four kids and playing the 'poor me' card..

Obviously some are genuinely homeless but there's alot of shxt.. People purposely not working, sponging from the government, saying oh poor me I'm waiting ten years for a free house.. Yet I keep having kids..

Bollox!

According to Wikipedia UK has double the amount of homeless as us and the US has quite a bit less than us.
    Again this is nothing to go by. Why compare ourselves with other countries ? I mean that’s not addressing the issue.
    The rental problem is out of control and this needs to be tackled head on. This is why your seeing homeless getting worse in recent times. We are feeling the effects of the unstable rental market imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Average house price in Dublin is 375,000. Average rent is now 1,400. We have a low wage economy that doesn't benefit workers. There's the problem right there.

But some want to blame people living in tents in Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dublin is not as bad for homelessness as most other cities I have visited recently.

It's just the megaphones have been out here for the last couple years by the usual groups on this specific issue.

These people want 'forever homes'. I leave it to the contributing majority of society wether they believe that is a good idea or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Was in Manchester last year and the homelessness there was something we noticed. Seemed worse than Dublin

Manchester has a massive issue with drugs. 'Spice' is a huge problem there for some reason. The number of homeless people around Picadilly Gardens is scary.
    Blaizes wrote: »
    Rent is ridiculous for minimum wage workers, students, young graduates trying to get a start etc. How are they supposed to manage really seems like no one cares. Have nieces and nephews in college or just graduated and the rent costs are just staggering

We've lost two lads of late in work. They've had enough of the cost of renting and they've decided to move to abroad for work. Both of them are software engineers with plenty of experience.

• Advertisement

Bollox!

I understand you’ve been travelling on a professional basis well done for that but the stats are all over the internet and some of these countries don’t actually have as bad homelessness.
    Here’s a list of cities doing better than ourselves.

Germany
    Finland
    Spain
    Italy
    Norway
    Portugal
    Poland
    Romania.

Where have you actually travelled in Europe ?

Advertisement