Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

They just keep popping out kids so get to stay....

The 2004 referendum on citizenship took away the automatic right to Irish citizenship for children born in Ireland.

sabat wrote: »
    Exactly-if the whole point of the refugee system is to help people then the way it's being operated currently-bringing or inviting them to the opposite end of another continent-is the worst possible use of the available funds and resources and is depriving the genuine cases. Just take that €1M given to a single solicitor mentioned earlier-that could provide food for a couple of thousand refugees for a whole year. The €3.5M a month in the thread title is enough to run several schools and clinics in these countries. Why not spend the money where it has the most impact and you know that 100% of the cases really need it?

Yes, I agree, it is much better to help in their own countries. People dont want to have to leave their homes if they dont need to.

Unfortunately it often doesn't work or isnt feasible to do it. The west attempted to intervene in Syria before things got worse which failed. There is no point in building schools in a warzone when the people have bigger things to worry about than getting an education.

Yurt! wrote: »
    To be honest this. The time from submission of application to first and second appeal needs to be slashed big-time.

- First hearing within 30 days;
    - Upon rejection, appeal hearing within 60;
    - Hight Court appeal if it comes to it within 90.

They can have their bags packed at the High Court and be ready for their deportation flight if they are rejected at that stage.

This is needed because of the numbers of spoofers in the system. I speak here of the Georgians, Albanians, Pakistanis (and other safe countries) that are coming from safe circumstances and are clogging up the system.
    #

Yea, I agree. I think its important to have an appeals process and to deport those not suitable for refugee status, but the turnaround time of the courts is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Newstalk tearing into grealish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

fisgon wrote: »
    "the majority of asylum seekers" are engaged in criminality and fraud?

Where is your evidence of this? You don't have any, do you? You don't have any because it is not in any way true - the opposite is in fact the case, asylum seekers are the least likely of any group in society to be engaged in criminality.
    You have absolutely no evidence of this, and basic psychology about how people without means behave would completely suggest you are wrong. Also its well acknowledged many asylum seekers to other countries are often fleeing prosecution for crimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

lola85 wrote: »
    Newstalk tearing into grealish.

Sometimes the truth hurts, easier to call him a racist than admit he’s right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

In my eyes he only said what alot of people are feared to say. He should be commended for speaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The 2004 referendum on citizenship took away the automatic right to Irish citizenship for children born in Ireland.

True but fcuk all are deported once they have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

In reality the appeals process is so long that kids are a few years into their schooling by the time a final rejection decision is made.

We've seen this several times. A social media campaign is mounted with pictures of the kid swinging a hurley and claims from the school principal that he's as Irish as All-Ireland Sunday and the GPO. Simon Harris and various other TDs make an appeal on Twitter for compassion and the Justice Minister's hand is forced.

That's the way it goes.

I don't wish to be hard-hearted. But a country needs an enforceable immigration policy. The softness by which we deal with cases and the length it takes is likely a big 'pull factor' for many non-refugee refugees.

The whole situation sucks, especially for the kids caught in the middle. But the parents are putting them in this bind at the end of the day. I wouldn't dare take a child to Australia or the US with the knowledge I'm bringing them into a country they may have to leave because of my folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

In my eyes he only said what alot of people are feared to say. He should be commended for speaking out.

Listen, your not even allowed to *think* that some asylum seekers may be chancing their arm, never mind going ahead and say it out loud in public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Another 16 (all males in good health from Asia), today likely to add to the he hotels bill.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1121/1094266-rosslare/

Seems a long way to go from SEAsia or somewhere, to Rosslare Europort via Belgium.

Was only a chance discovery was made by a ferry staff member who heard banging from inside the truck (on a scheduled Stena Line ferry from France).
    Looks like Cherbourg etc, needs additional staffing otherwise build more (non-tourist) hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

These 16 illegal immigrants from Asia should be deported today, I mean asap, within 24hrs of arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Another 16 (all males in good health from Asia), today likely to add to the he hotels bill.

Seems a long way to go from SEAsia or somewhere, to Rosslare Europort via Belgium.

Was only a chance discovery was made by a ferry staff member who heard banging from inside the truck (on a scheduled Stena Line ferry from France).
    Looks like Cherbourg etc, needs additional staffing otherwise build more (non-tourist) hotels.

And have passed through multiple safe country entry points, including Belgium ffs, so should have claimed Asylum there.

Send them back to the first safe country and let them claim asylum there.

The decision was made to keep going rather than turn back to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's only going to get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

The decision was made to keep going rather than turn back to France?

Probably because Stena won't have to pay the bill for accommodating them or funding their countless appeals as they milk the asylum seeking system over the next decade.

Of course if the Government had a pair of balls, it would simply apply the Dublin Regulation and promptly send them back to Herr Macron, as that's where they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

But they clearly don't have balls!! More of my tax money going to waste on these illegal immigrants when it could be used for more beneficial purposes. Maybe even something irrelevant like the health service for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

But remember the script...coffin ships...the Irish travelled the world etc etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Mirror confirmed an early guess that they were 'SE Asian' (so not Chinese/Japanese or anything).

Also "All the individuals are reported to be in good health and have been moved to a 'private passenger lounge' on the ship where their wellbeing is the focus..."
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/breaking-up-16-people-found-20928303
    Upgraded already, to private/1st class quaters, must be like winning the jackpot, roll out the green carpet.

Recently a harbourmaster in nearby Zeebrugge said they only bother to check one in every 4-500 containers. Perhaps that gives some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I had an ambulance which was to bring my 85 year old mother to hospital for a serious procedure cancelled on me this morning.. So there on the news I see ambulance after ambulance going through the double doors in Rosslare.. Ridiculous carry on in this country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I had an ambulance which was to bring my 85 year old mother to hospital for a serious procedure cancelled on me this morning.. So there on the news I see ambulance after ambulance going through the double doors in Rosslare.. Ridiculous carry on in this country

Well hold your TDs to account at the next election and vote for another party and tell your TD that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

All of these migrant findings are likely going to increase the Tories margin at the election, and a hard(er) Brexit.

I seriously doubt it's a coincidence and hope I'm wrong.

Likes of sky news pushing the story:

https://news.sky.com/story/16-people-discovered-in-trailer-on-cherbourg-rosslare-ferry-11866381

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

As long as we are a prosperous country and there are poor sh*tty countries like the ones they come from, we're always going to have people trying to get in.
    The journal comments seem to be a bunch of people angry at these people for trying to sneak into a country. I'm pretty sure I'd consider doing the same if I was from whatever sh*thole they came from. Don't blame them for seeking wealth and a better life, if it's the methods our Gov use to deal with immigration you have a problem with, get mad at them or use your vote for someone who might change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Thats a bit at odds with the Stena statement on RTE, why are the ambulances being dispatched?

Stena Line said: "All the individuals are reported to be in good health and have been moved to a private passenger lounge on the ship where their wellbeing is the focus of our employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

As long as we are a prosperous country and there are poor sh*tty countries like the ones they come from, we're always going to have people trying to get in.
    The journal comments seem to be a bunch of people angry at these people for trying to sneak into a country. I'm pretty sure I'd consider doing the same if I was from whatever sh*thole they came from. Don't blame them for seeking wealth and a better life, if it's the methods our Gov use to deal with immigration you have a problem with, get mad at them or use your vote for someone who might change things.

What does Ireland or the UK offer that France or Belgium doesn't in terms of seeking wealth and a better life?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

Will be interesting to see is this an Irish or UK haulage company involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    What does Ireland or the UK offer that France or Belgium doesn't in terms of seeking wealth and a better life?

Lifelong benefits , medical cards and social housing along with commit serious crimes and still be given asylum and get to stay on a permanent basis and don't have to make any effort whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

KrustyUCC wrote: »

We speak English, I'd say that's one of the main draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well hold your TDs to account at the next election and vote for another party and tell your TD that.

Spot-On!

Can't see Verona Murphy's campaign being anything other than greatly assisted by this latest bout of opportunism.

The sensible,and entirely reasonable approach would be....

Look after them shipside,no disembarkation and delivered directly back to The Cherbourg Gendarmerie,along with an invoice to cover the cost of the entire show.

However,in the absence of either we shall have to endure the "official line" as per Taoiseach Varadakar.....
    "After that of course there will need to be a response that involves the police, involving the gardaí, because as you know human trafficking is illegal and then we'll need to see what happens with the people who come ashore. They may wish to claim asylum, which they are entitled to do, or they may wish to be returned to the safe country from which they came.

"But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But the initial response will of course be a humanitarian one to make sure they are alive and in good health and I understand that they are."

.....I'm particularly fond of the line...."they may wish to claim asylum" as it reminds me that we are nearing Pantomine season..."Oh yes they will....:)....Oh no they won't :mad:"

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

We speak English, I'd say that's one of the main draws.

Perhaps,but if the South East Asian reports are true,then they may well speak better French than the French themselves ?...

Dien Bien Phu to U2....

https://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/vietnam-in-photos/123676/inside-the-new-dien-bien-phu-museum.html

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement