Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/nearly-5-500-asylum-seekers-to-be-housed-in-new-direct-provision-centres-across-ireland-1.4091325

So I see in the IT this morning that we're to take in and accommodate nearly 5500 asylum seekers (3762 applications so far this year alone) across the country at a cost of €320 million over the next few years.

The 16 lads found in a trailer coming from Iraq and Iran via war torn Cherbourg :rolleyes: are apparently among the first to get looked after (even though they thought they were going to the UK).

Now admittedly, I had a busy day yesterday so I guess I missed the news alert where we've solved the housing crisis, addressed the massive costs of living for ordinary workers and people commuting from 2 counties away to Dublin because of the aforementioned crisis, finally fixed the mess that is the HSE and primary care, addressed insurance hikes that affect the same ordinary people and close businesses, and all the other issues in this country?

Because otherwise I don't see how taking in more dubious asylum seekers is going to benefit anyone here - and make no mistake, as citizens and taxpayers we are certainly entitled to expect that these people should offer some positive benefit to our country and communities, not just add more pressure on already inadequate services and welfare costs.

Don't forget the almost €1bn a year in foreign aid we spend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,684 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There’s a good number out there. I don’t endorse any in particular. Go on YouTube do a search and see what ya come up with

Wow that is next level vague secrecy. 'search youtube' :pac:

You can name them without endorsing them. IF you are claiming they are a legitimate alternative political parties with published proposed policy documents then name them.

What's with the cowardice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The confidence and supply agreement makes a farce out of our political system. The two major parties agreeing to agree. A sham

It's very comfy for them, our wonderful political class, divide the spoils, sod democracy. Leo might be perfectly happy with Michéal the meek to replace him, if he can virtue signal his way to some big cushy EU / UN role.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,356 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boggles wrote: »
    Wow that is next level vague secrecy. 'search youtube' :pac:

You can name them without endorsing them. IF you are claiming they are a legitimate alternative political parties with published proposed policy documents then name them.

What's with the cowardice?

I’ve answered your question and have said I’m currently researching the options myself.

IF I am in a position to endorse any of the parties I will let you know!

But there’s certainly alternative options to vote for next time which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The shameful lack of compassion expressed on thread is fairly depressing. Hopefully it’s simply a circle jerk of bitter nut jobs and not representative of the Irish as a whole.

I actually 100% agree that we have a duty to help and offer asylum to those in danger and distress.

But these 16 men on the boat from France past through at least 10 safe and peaceful countries on their way from Iraq.

Thats not seeking asylum, thats shopping around.

• Advertisement

I’ve answered your question and have said I’m currently researching the options myself.

IF I am in a position to endorse any of the parties I will let you know!

But there’s certainly alternative options to vote for next time which is a good thing.

You keep saying that but you won't name them.

Unless you are referencing sad little neo nazi wannabes and all out racist scum?

One would want to be a next level dullard to spoil your vote on those absolute fúcktards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OK how about this then...

Dear FG (and any other party staffers that may be reading - based on that thread last night, we know you're probably out there)

As a tax paying citizen of this country, I have serious concerns about the current policies around immigration, asylum seekers and economic migrants.

I wholeheartedly agree that those in genuine need of refuge deserve our sympathy and support (until it's safe for them to return home or they can support themselves here), but any cases where the claim is found to be fraudulent, or people arriving from safe countries should be rejected unless they apply via the numerous legal means to enter our country.

I further take issue with the apparent secrecy that surrounds many of the decisions in this whole topic, where the questions and concerns of local communities are dismissed as "racist" or xenophobia by those given a platform in our largely one-sided media reporting, and where no clear account can be given for how the new arrivals will be housed and integrated into these areas.

I am also conscious of the realities of being a small island with significant domestic problems in housing, costs of living, health care, waste and inefficiency that we have yet to tackle in any sort of effective manner.
    In short, we need to be conscious of the fact that there is only so much we can do for those elsewhere (and noting the significant sums we spend on foreign aid in addition to resettlements here).

I would fully endorse any member or party who undertakes a full review of this topic with the above considerations in mind. We cannot put ourselves in a situation where we make our existing problems worse, and we cannot expect (nor are we obligated to) solve the problems of every country in difficulty or person who arrives at our shores.

Our response must be proportionate, considered, and clearly in line with the wishes of the citizens and communities who will be most affected by the decisions that are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

anyone voicing any questions or concerns of any kind about any aspect of immigration policy is an out and out racist, bigot, xenophobe and reads a couple of pages of Mein Kampf before bed.

There’s plenty of options out there boggles.

Can tell you I’m actively looking at a few different options.

Won’t be voting any of the mainstream parties next time and I get the sense many ppl will be joining me on this.

RTÉ news Facebook page do not have the ferry story even though it was the first report on 6.1 and 9 news. Are they afraid that the public comments wouldn’t align with what they want?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

Can tell you I’m actively looking at a few different options.

Won’t be voting any of the mainstream parties next time and I get the sense many ppl will be joining me on this.

I don't think your sense is up to much.

There isn't. A couple of mentally ill God bothering racist scumbags who will attract a minimal amount of dullards.

You clearly know that, that's why you are too chicken to name them.

There isn't. A couple of mentally ill God bothering racist scumbags who will attract a minimal amount of dullards.

You clearly know that, that's why you are too chicken to name them.

Not at all

And when ppl raise serious concerns over the issue only for the debate to descend into crass pig ignorant name calling and accusations of waffen SS goose stepping around Ireland, it’s not going to get better any time soon :/

Ppl are sick to the pit of their stomachs over what’s been going on.

As I’ve said none of the mainstream parties will even begin to address the issue adequately.

Hence-alternatives !

Always a good thing in democracies.

Not at all

And when ppl raise serious concerns over the issue only for the debate to descend into crass pig ignorant name calling and accusations of waffen SS goose stepping around Ireland, it’s not going to get better any time soon :/

As I’ve said none of the mainstream parties will even begin to address the issue adequately.

Hence-alternatives !

There isn't any credible alternatives, just mentally ill scum bags.

If they were credible you would have named them by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Not at all

Hence-alternatives !

Please don’t say you think Barrett and his crew of troglodytes are a viable alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭enricoh

Many countries in Europe that have experienced the joys of multiculturalism now have right wing parties that get significant votes.
    10 or 20 years ago they didnt exist or else got a few cranks voting for them.

All parties here n vast majority of the media want to close down any debate on immigration imo.
    Peiple are sick of parasites, our own and imported, casey got 23%, he was on 1% when he brought up travellers.
    Surely that says there's an opening for an economically right wing party?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

These guys should be sent back to France, which last time I checked was a relatively safe country.
    These "poor lads" (if you listen to the Morning Ireland bleeding heart brigade) have according to some reports caused a €1,000,000 worth of damage to the lorry cargo.
    They should be charged with this property damage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

These guys should be sent back to France, which last time I checked was a relatively safe country.
    These "poor lads" have according to some reports caused a €1,000,000 worth of damage to the lorry cargo.

Yeah, put straight on a ferry back from whence they came. That'd get the message across. Somehow or other though, they're likely to be still here in 10 years time, either appealing decisions against them or simply just dissipated illegally into their communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

enricoh wrote: »
    Many countries in Europe that have experienced the joys of multiculturalism now have right wing parties that get significant votes.
    10 or 20 years ago they didnt exist or else got a few cranks voting for them.

All parties here n vast majority of the media want to close down any debate on immigration imo.
    Peiple are sick of parasites, our own and imported, casey got 23%, he was on 1% when he brought up travellers.
    Surely that says there's an opening for an economically right wing party?
    It is not about being right wing or left wing. Its Fine Gael and Fianna Fail making correct decisions based on the resources available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Give it time.
    And yes the problem at the moment is that the ones probably against the "open borders take them all in lunacy" are the God bothers and loonies who would bring us back to the good old 1950s.

And yes most of the ones backing ayslum seekers/economic migrants are as good as open borders because they always refuse to say how many is too many.
    There is never a cap mentioned just how people are deserving.

But Peter Casey was the lesson.
    A no hoper guy often not able to adequately argue his point, but yet going from around 1% to over 20% in a couple of weeks, with no political party behind him, with the entire media lambasting him just for calling a spade a spade as regards travellers and their total preferential treatment when it comes to things like housing, was a lesson in what a lot of Irish people really think.

The thing is if someone clued in, with media savvy and some charm takes the reigns they can make hay.
    There are a lot of people really pi**ed off with all the mainstream political parties in this country.

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Give it time.
    And yes the problem at the moment is that the ones probably against the "open borders take them all in lunacy" are the God bothers and loonies who would bring us back to the good old 1950s.

And yes most of the ones backing ayslum seekers/economic migrants are as good as open borders because they always refuse to say how many is too many.
    There is never a cap mentioned just how people are deserving.

Who is "open borders"?

The narrative that we take in "too many" is demonstrable false, we do less than bare minimum, we don't even take the share we have signed up for.

No “credible alternatives”

Wow. In a democracy no alternatives.

A real insight into your warped views.

this is the cr*p that just ruins a sensible debate and turns ppl off

No “credible alternatives”

Wow. In a democracy no alternatives.

A real insight into your warped views.

this is the cr*p that just ruins a sensible debate and turns ppl off

Lol. You want a debate about "credible alternatives" but you are too cowardly to name them.

Get up the yard.

Lol. You want a debate about "credible alternatives" but you are too cowardly to name them.

Get up the yard.

Usually they are open about their support for the cosplay fascist.

Usually they are open about their support for the cosplay fascist.

What are you on about?!

Here’s the usual rubbish trotted out

Same with achill and other protests.

The d4 media elite conjuring up visions of goose stepping ss marching around Ireland.

Everyone sees through that crap these days.

Absolute rubbish and pig ignorant about the actual reasons ppl are opposed to more asylum seekers and migrants coming in.

What are you on about?!

Here’s the usual rubbish trotted out

Same with achill and other protests.

The d4 media elite conjuring up visions of goose stepping ss marching around Ireland.

Everyone sees through that crap these days.

Absolute rubbish and pig ignorant about the actual reasons ppl are opposed to more asylum seekers and migrants coming in.

Cosplay fascist. Just say it.

Just from talking to ppl during my daily work tasks (traveling salesperson here) - I get to talk to a huge variety and cross section of society daily - a real privilege.

There’s HUGE disillusionment with the mainstream parties on the migration issue.

Ppl from all ages and sections of society have made that clear to me.

A sense it’s a runaway train almost ?

Ppl are looking for big changes.

Just from talking to ppl during my daily work tasks (traveling salesperson here) - I get to talk to a huge variety and cross section of society daily - a real privilege.

There’s HUGE disillusionment with the mainstream parties on the migration issue.

Ppl from all ages and sections of society have made that clear to me.

A sense it’s a runaway train almost ?

Ppl are looking for big changes.

So you are a walking poll now?

These "poor lads" (if you listen to the Morning Ireland bleeding heart brigade) have according to some reports caused a €1,000,000 worth of damage to the lorry cargo.

I heard about the property damage also

They should be pursued through the courts for the full amount to compensate the companies involved.

• Advertisement

So you are a walking poll now?

Off topic but since u asked ! Core part of my role is to build up rapport and establish good relations with managers staff and customers of the stores I am involved in.

Advertisement