Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rain,Strong Winds In East & Flooding Overnight Thurs 13th /Friday 14th November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That second pic could be Cork I'd say Maq - O' Keeffes bread is made in Cork...just guessing, could be anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

The band of rain currently moving NE through the country appears to be intensifying and enlarging a bit. Looks like it'll be arriving in the already well soaked capital around rush hour. This band of rain is separate to the other area of heavy rain due tonight.....I'm getting a feeling come tomorrow morning, there's gonna be some very serious issues due to flooding, particularly in eastern areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

D847C41CDD804A2D9FA1A80C160C7E5A-0000324468-0003695160-00951L-E40187D118E34CD7B6BBEB9A79407A1C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

You can see the next deluge that will be pushing up from the south tonight on satellite.

anim_ir_color.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

This will be clearing within the next hour from Dublin. Overall not as bad as parts of East Meath, North Co Dublin and Louth but a lot of excess water none the less and this could be an issue later on tonight when more pulses of rain move up across the southeast, midlands and east of the country. The water table is pretty full at this stage.
    The sun is shining at last, but where we are here in Dunboyne the water table is already at levels similar to the rain storms we had last January/February.
    And we have another full night of this ahead.
    I'm dreading what we will be facing first thing in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

That looks scary!!! ^^^^^^^ :eek::eek::eek:

7431820C8D964C0891BC0BEAEE6A5FD8-0000324468-0003695161-00875L-5EAA69DAB73641088BD1065FD1BD2174.jpg

You can see the next deluge that will be pushing up from the south tonight on satellite.

Will this be more exclusively an east coast event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

leahyl wrote: »

crossing fingers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think the few hours respite from rainfall in the east will do any good, the mountain run off is only getting going. Towns along the Liffey and Slaney rivers in particular will have a bad few days ahead. Enniscorthy, seen above, Leixlip flooded already too.

• Advertisement

northgirl wrote: »
    crossing fingers :)

Oh no, I love a good wet and windy night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Oh no, I love a good wet and windy night :D

Me too it's the trek to work in the morning torture is offputting!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Next system just off the south coast now. http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Clear skies here now. 25.8mm since midnight.

Eastern half of the country should see most of the heavier rain from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

We've an underground pit in work. Had been waterproofed and no issues for the last 4 years. It's flooding now as the sheer volume of water must have been too much.

Supplier in Dunshaughlin is out of all 30 of their water pumps. We're heading to Blanch centre to pick up the last one from there from another supplier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

flooding around Dunshaughlin is really bad, possibly the worst in 40 years. Haven't seen floods like this since the early 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

back roads around Maynooth atrocious condition. primary school yard was like the aquatic centre. flooded. the relentless rain stopped about an hour ago. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Radio Freak

The rain cleared here in Castleknock about a hour ago which was spot on. Nice sunshine with some nice blue sky. When are we expecting the next batch of heavy rain to hit The capital?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The rain cleared here in Castleknock about a hour ago which was spot on. Nice sunshine with some nice blue sky. When are we expecting the next batch of heavy rain to hit The capital?

Another fairly intense period in about 90 mins / 2 hours, then a break until perhaps 9 or 10pm when heavy rain will arrive again and last much of the night.

Lashing again in Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

My sister was watching the thunderstorm tonight move in over the old head of kinsale today at lunchtime, she says while watching the front move in, it looked like the sea water was being 'sucked up' into the clouds. A kind of wall of water. She had to get the binoculars to look closer and even then swears she saw the same thing, like a waterspout but the whole line of the storm front.

I saw the same front move in but over land. Have to say it was black and low hanging, like the clouds were on top of the house, with really heavy rain and thunder and lightening. But I didnt see anything like she did.

So. we are wondering, is there something that can look like this from a distance? And if so, whats it called?

Bear in mind we have seen waterspouts off the old head and about 10-15 years ago.. and this was nothing like that.
    What did my sis see today? Any clues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Roads around bandon, innnishannon, belgooly and kinsale all closed off this morning.. maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Another fairly intense period in about 90 mins / 2 hours, then a break until perhaps 9 or 10pm when heavy rain will arrive again and last much of the night.

That next band due soon is breaking up fairly rapidly now south of a line from Galway to Dublin....good news!

D6705E2480304F95B29C75660AE019D6-0000324468-0003695163-01024L-76CE90CB4D1E4ED8829B332E5742E4EF.jpg

Nice sunset this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Gonzo wrote: »
    flooding around Dunshaughlin is really bad, possibly the worst in 40 years. Haven't seen floods like this since the early 80s

Is it still like that Gonzo? Dont fancy driving through Dunshaughlin village later on getting home of the village is flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

Lash the pictures up guys and girls 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A nice end to an awful afternoon, I recorded 29.2mm in Tullow.

JanuarySnowstor said it was standard fare :p

15161267364_e416454b03_b.jpgsunsetnov13

• Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tonight with an on shore wind the east coast may be spared some of the more intense rainfall. Not so inland in the south east.

12-779PUK.GIF?13-12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

was there thunder and lightening in cork city this afternoon?

also met eireann map is showing thunder and lightening for the south east. how true is that?

• Advertisement

HIRLAM wants to send the heaviest rain further west than the other models, at least in the early part of the night anyway.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement