Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aurora Prospects 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

Thick haze here in monaghan, I can barely see the sun setting. Pity but at least Ive seen it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

we just don't have a bright moon to contend with (87% illuminated tonight) but I'm sure its as hazy all over the country as it is where I am, easterlies are generally not good for visibility.

Very misty the last few nights at Dublin airport location. It's not looking good at all for the next day or two at least. No good at all for meteors or the moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

So far just a moderate storm. Kp 6. Needs to be stronger than that for aurora to be visible here.

So far just a moderate storm. Kp 6. Needs to be stronger than that for aurora to be visible here.
    Won't make any odds with this cloud we have now, always the way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Won't make any odds with this cloud we have now, always the way :(

Thanks for that, am in Wicklow but thinking of heading north, will sit tight for more reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

So it's not looking good is it for tonight?
    Around Leinster if it makes any odds.

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    So it's not looking good is it for tonight?
    Around Leinster if it makes any odds.

Dry tonight with clear spells. Mist and fog will become widespread overnight, with some dense fog in places around dawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭highdef

Cloud is moving from south to north. There is a clearance moving northwards at the moment and is currently stretching from around the Galway to Dublin line. It's not completely clear in the clearer area but better than the muck over the past few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

What is kp index at the moment? In Finland and sky has cleared but can't get my usual sites to load on phone.

Wanna know if its worth my while cycling outside city limits. I'm at 63 degrees latitude.

• Advertisement

SWPC_Aurora_Map_N.png

Not looking good for here then

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

will it possibly extend down more if the storm gets stronger? i don't have a clue about these things

Reports of faint aurora visible as far south as Norfolk and Oxfordshire in the UK at the moment, so should be visible here too if there are any clear skies up north.

Meanwhile in Sweden...

BxW94FMIcAIjwpd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

So i'm sitting here in the car overlooking a beac in Donegal. When do i give up waiting for the cloud to clear? I can see the occasional star and the moon popping out from behind clouds but that's it :(

Faint aurora reports from east Donegal on twitter.

Faint aurora reports from east Donegal on twitter.

It appears to be clearing here in Narin, so i'll wait it out a bit longer

The only Aurora I will see tonight will be the Aurora of the Dublin airport runway lights. :mad:

Cycled 6km out of city. Too cloudy and moon is very bright. Cycled back home again and cloud has cleared. Car would be handy at these times. I ave seen them from city centre before but I think I will turn in as its heading for 2am here.

• Advertisement

Looking better.

lhaOZw5.png

I don't remember seeing such a high probably reaching that far south on this graphic before.

Looking better.

lhaOZw5.png

I don't remember seeing such a high probably reaching that far south on this graphic before.

Is now the time to be looking yeah? Heard 1am yesterday.

Lmao_Man wrote: »

Yep now and over the next few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Clear sky's here but urban lighting hampering any chance of seeing anything :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

delw wrote: »
    Clear sky's here but urban lighting hampering any chance of seeing anything :(

Where are you? .... North dublin here, heading to tara hill

If I see nothing then at least I'll enjoy the drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

I'll be looking north for the next few hours hoping it stretches down towards us...Now if my neighbours would just go to bed and turn off their f-ing lights that would be great

• Advertisement

Kp 8 is forecasted at the moment. Subject to change.

Ax34QzD.gif

Looking better.

lhaOZw5.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Where are you? .... North dublin here, heading to tara hill

If I see nothing then at least I'll enjoy the drive :)
    Yeah north dublin city
    Take care on that drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Aurora watch are saying it's not gonna happen. I'm in norway and nowt. Might save you a drive.

Well it is happening in east Finland. Massive display I can even see it in city centre. All throughout the sky' wish I was away fromthe light pollution.

• Advertisement

Auldloon wrote: »
    Aurora watch are saying it's not gonna happen. I'm in norway and nowt. Might save you a drive.

You must be in the wrong part of Norway! This is from someone in Norway tonight...

BxXfg8TIIAApECG.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

can't see anything from here, misty sky and moon too bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Just back from sally gap/laragh. nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Nothing in Tipperary elusive aurora

Well it got up to Kp 7, was the strongest geomagnetic storm of the year. But it sounds like viewing conditions were pretty poor here.

Some great pictures here.

http://spaceweathergallery.com/aurora_gallery.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I had a fantastic view last night... of fog/mist.

10655439_713836938698829_4664615475957668721_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Urfa

Hey is anyone heading out for a look tonight??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Yes, will be heading up north from Wicklow, hoping for a good weather/aurora forecast.

Yes, heading for Malin Head. Mixture of sun & haze here atm....hopefully stays clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Urfa

O great might chance it again so!! I went to the hill of tara last night but theres far too much light polution from navan town. Anyone any other suggestions? Im not familiar with the area and traveling from Dublin!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

about what time should I hope to see something? (rural Mayo)

Im not sure, think the main event is over...

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

fits wrote: »
    Im not sure, think the main event is over...

Yeah it is but rte have got my hopes up again:

Astronomy Ireland has said that there is a strong chance people in Ireland will catch a rare glimpse of the Northern Lights tonight.
    The spectacular display of multi-coloured solar waves were expected to light up the dark sky yesterday but dense cloud led to poor visibility.

Astronomy Ireland's David Moore says there's a 90% chance people will tonight see the aurora.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0913/643491-northern-lights/

Only kp2 right now. Lovely clear skies here though so might be worth keeping am eye on. But I suspect main event is over.

After a lovely sunny day here marlin Head it has clouded over again :( if i hear it's clear further south i won't be happy (and will be sorely tempted to get in the car & go home!)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 userofnames123

morebabies wrote: »
    Yeah it is but rte have got my hopes up again

Anyone know what time is best to look out for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Really want to optimise chances of seeing this am in Tipperary any suggestions of where to head to?

Its all quiet right now. Wouldn't get the hopes up too high for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mdogg88

What are the chances of seeing the aurora in the kildare area tonight? or where should I drive to give me the best show? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Learn to take everything out of David Moores from AI's mouth with a lorry load of salt.

Advertisement