Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

Of course it is. Buying a second-hand house, the estate agents will always try and push you to the last penny.

I don't think all EAs push to the last penny. Once they have a decent offer they want to close the deal. An extra 5K on the purchase price means little enough for the EA in extra fees.

I called an EA multiple times about a property a few weeks ago without receiving a call back. It then went sale agreed. There were obviously in the later stages of the process. I doubt the seller would have been impressed to hear there were other interested buyers that were excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 catsnow

Meraf wrote: »
    are you buying cash or loan ?

If loan then get approved by bank

Hi Meraf,

I am a cash buyer, so I don't need any bank approval. I am interested in the price range as I received a quotation from a company for 460 euro and it seems a bit too much to me, but I might be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

CarMc wrote: »
    Have you drawdown your mortgage already? Has it been transferred to their solicitor?

Yes and yes.

Jay D wrote: »
    I’m sorry to hear your predicament But glad you still have your place. Would probably feel the same as you if I was in that dilemma with nowhere to go.

I’m coming at it from the opposite side of things and the buyer is dragging heels a bit now. 3rd closing date coming up next.

Oh and don’t even talk to me about ‘solicitors not hearing back from other solicitor’. It’s really hard to believe they can go so deathly quiet at such critical points in the process. I do agree that the date should be set in stone. Although is there a mechanism to sue for charges if a closing date has passed and you are out of pocket as a result of the other side not sticking to the agreement?

I think solicitors have a lot to answer for. I partially blame my own solicitor because a few times during the process I had to really push her to do things and I'd say the other side have no respect for her at all. I was asking this but again she was reluctant to give a straight answer and only mentioned the 21 notice on vacating the property. If I was in court for a parking ticket I'd probably end up getting the chair with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Does anyone know what the story is for transferring ESB/Gas over without having buyer’s full details? It’s obvious I just need to ring up to end my own with meter reading but not sure if they’ll leave it for a day or two without disconnecting for the new person buying the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Yes and yes.

Isn't it technically your house then? If so, are they trespassing? I'd be telling them that at the door. Maybe they don't realise you own it on paper now.
    Solicitor may not have made it clear to them. There are a few insurance issues to start with, if they are in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Does anyone know what the story is for transferring ESB/Gas over without having buyer’s full details? It’s obvious I just need to ring up to end my own with meter reading but not sure if they’ll leave it for a day or two without disconnecting for the new person buying the house.

I had this when leaving rental accomodation recently so I guess it's the same story. I cancelled Electric Ireland online and if I remember correctly the electric was due to be shut off 24 hours later or something like that. I believe once you enter the meter number you are charged up to what you owe there and then. That being said it was many months ago and I may be misremembering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Meraf wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Currently i'm bidding for apt and I have suspicions that agent is playing phantom bids. Can I ask agent to show me proof that there are other bids ?

Many thanks

Would also like to hear an answer on this as well if anyone can comment..

Sesame wrote: »
    Isn't it technically your house then? If so, are they trespassing? I'd be telling them that at the door. Maybe they don't realise you own it on paper now.
    Solicitor may not have made it clear to them. There are a few insurance issues to start with, if they are in your house.

I was trying to clarify that this with my solicitor without much success. As I said before my solicitor is very poor.

It’s only natural neighbours would be informed ? I’m selling and I will tell the neighbours about who is buying they have lived next door to the house for 50 years old couples on both sides and I feel out of respect and to allay fears they have a right to know

If I buy a house, I believe it's up to me what I tell the neighbours about myself and my business.
    I didn't appreciate all the neighbours in my last house knowing everything about me, before I moved in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

bubblypop wrote: »
    If I buy a house, I believe it's up to me what I tell the neighbours about myself and my business.
    I didn't appreciate all the neighbours in my last house knowing everything about me, before I moved in!

Precisely. Absolutely none of the new neighbours business until/if you make it their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spicebagnoveg

Hi everyone, myself and my partner are currently in the process of getting our first home.

Our situation is; we have AIP, HTB and Deposit all ready. We're just waiting for the houses to launch.

From my understanding, the next thing we need to do is get a letter of offer from the bank. But in order to do so, we will need an address of the home and value of the home.

The new builds we're currently looking at is Barnwell Park and my question is, once the houses are launched and it's available to book. Is the AIP letter, HTB and deposit enough for the Estate Agent? or will they require me to get a Letter of offer first?

Sorry if this seems like a noob question, it's our first time as buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

For further on down the line. Ask your solicitor about a 'subject to finance clause' to protect your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Anyone looking at houses on the Western side of Cork City? I drove around a bit today. Had seen Steeplewoods advertised over the last year or two. It was mainly big detached houses when it launched. Drove in to it today for the first time and it seems to have changed to alot of semi detached. Also drove up to Reldare at the poulavone end of the Model Farm Road. Nice houses but the gardens, so so small. Would love a detached in Reldare but they are €595k. Too much for us. It's so disheartening. I'd say we will have to leave the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

Anyone looking at houses on the Western side of Cork City? I drove around a bit today. Had seen Steeplewoods advertised over the last year or two. It was mainly big detached houses when it launched. Drove in to it today for the first time and it seems to have changed to alot of semi detached. Also drove up to Reldare at the poulavone end of the Model Farm Road. Nice houses but the gardens, so so small. Would love a detached in Reldare but they are €595k. Too much for us. It's so disheartening. I'd say we will have to leave the city.

Cork is very disheartening in general at the moment I think. Our search is different to yours but its just a battle to find anything we love or see potential in & everything is bidding wars. We're taking a break from it all for a few months because I'm withered from it all! I actually don't want to see something I love come on the market because the prospect of another bidding war is giving me the shivers. I hope you find something without having to move out of your search area. Its hard to visualise being happy in your home at times like this but it will be a distant memory in the hopefully not too distant future!

Smiley11 wrote: »
    Cork is very disheartening in general at the moment I think. Our search is different to yours but its just a battle to find anything we love or see potential in & everything is bidding wars. We're taking a break from it all for a few months because I'm withered from it all! I actually don't want to see something I love come on the market because the prospect of another bidding war is giving me the shivers. I hope you find something without having to move out of your search area. Its hard to visualise being happy in your home at times like this but it will be a distant memory in the hopefully not too distant future!

Hi Smiley, are yee looking outside the City, to be honest I'd say we will move out. Try and not go further than 20 miles. Would love Ballygarvan area but prices are nuts. The thoughts of bidding wars 🙄. We are going to park it for a year and see what happens. Have you seen any price drop while bidding in the last few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

Hi Smiley, are yee looking outside the City, to be honest I'd say we will move out. Try and not go further than 20 miles. Would love Ballygarvan area but prices are nuts. The thoughts of bidding wars ��. We are going to park it for a year and see what happens. Have you seen any price drop while bidding in the last few months?

We're looking in the eastern suburbs, older type houses. Its cr4p. Anything remotely interesting that comes on theres a rush of viewings & agents telling us we need to act quickly if we want to secure the house. Its too much pressure for me as we won't be moving again so like you, I'd say we'll sit on the fence as well for a while & keep saving. A friend of mine was looking around Ballinhassig & stocks are limited also so they're going to wait it out as well & hope for things to improve! Price drops seem to be rare & if they do drop, theres a reason for it!

Smiley11 wrote: »
    We're looking in the eastern suburbs, older type houses. Its cr4p. Anything remotely interesting that comes on theres a rush of viewings & agents telling us we need to act quickly if we want to secure the house. Its too much pressure for me as we won't be moving again so like you, I'd say we'll sit on the fence as well for a while & keep saving. A friend of mine was looking around Ballinhassig & stocks are limited also so they're going to wait it out as well & hope for things to improve! Price drops seem to be rare & if they do drop, theres a reason for it!

It is crap. Buy something old and spend the next 20 years fixing it because you have no money left after buying the bloody thing. Ballinhassig in our search area too. Looking at low to mid 500,000s for a solid family house. Even if they came down 5 or 10% it would be a great help. Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Hi everyone, myself and my partner are currently in the process of getting our first home.

Our situation is; we have AIP, HTB and Deposit all ready. We're just waiting for the houses to launch.

From my understanding, the next thing we need to do is get a letter of offer from the bank. But in order to do so, we will need an address of the home and value of the home.

The new builds we're currently looking at is Barnwell Park and my question is, once the houses are launched and it's available to book. Is the AIP letter, HTB and deposit enough for the Estate Agent? or will they require me to get a Letter of offer first?

Sorry if this seems like a noob question, it's our first time as buyers.

More than enough. AIP and 3-10k to book it will do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 catsnow

Hi everyone,

looking for recommendations on companies for a pre-purchase survey in Dublin that are reliable and ask a reasonable price. I am a cash buyer, so no need to get bank approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sijo1982

Just need an advice

Received AIB approval in principle through eMortgages (after submitting all documents nearly 6 weeks)
    Asked us to submit property and solicitor details ( done a month ago) also submitted deposit receipt

Received a message from AIB that final check for letter of offer issue ( on 10 September)

Still waiting for letter of offer

Will they decline my mortgage on this stage?

Sijo1982 wrote: »
    Just need an advice

Received AIB approval in principle through eMortgages (after submitting all documents nearly 6 weeks)
    Asked us to submit property and solicitor details ( done a month ago) also submitted deposit receipt

Received a message from AIB that final check for letter of offer issue ( on 10 September)

I’d say you’re ok. We’re still waiting for 2 weeks now from KBC for our loan offer. Broker expects it early next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭ElitesTeam

I see AIB require home insurance on purchase house, How can we provide proof when you don't own it yet to get it insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Glory83

ElitesTeam wrote: »
    I see AIB require home insurance on purchase house, How can we provide proof when you don't own it yet to get it insured?

I believe they require that before drawdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Just need an advice

I wouldn't panic. Going through the same process, albeit slightly further along. You need to just constantly call them and hassle them to get anywhere. Their levels of customer service is absolutely horrendous. We have been delayed weeks by AIB alone at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

We received contracts into our solicitor last week, anyone care to give a rough estimate of draw down periods from when you receive contracts?

There was no issues found with the contracts btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭ElitesTeam

We received contracts into our solicitor last week, anyone care to give a rough estimate of draw down periods from when you receive contracts?

Out of interest how long since sale agreed did it take to get them?

Once you sign I would expect within a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

My solicitor is so frustrated right now. Seller's been pushing and pushing me to sign and draw down, we're ready to go, and her solicitor isn't responding. If they've gone on holiday this week I'm actually going to cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Once both parties have signed, drawdown is usually requested at that stage. It took us 1.5 weeks to get funds, that was with PTSB.

Edit: that's assuming everything is in place such as mortgage protection, home insurance, final payslip etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

ElitesTeam wrote: »
    Out of interest how long since sale agreed did it take to get them?

Once you sign I would expect within a month

We received contracts about 6 weeks after sale agreed.
    Thanks a month is what I thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Just wanted to get a bit of advice on conveyancing costs. Discussion boards are saying a flat fee of about 750 should be possible but could be up to 1500. i have done someone shopping around this morning and I'm getting some huge quotes of 2000, even up to 4,000. Nothing near the lower figures. Am I being unrealistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

How long before anyone got offers on their homes mine is up since Thursday and four viewings on Friday . I’m in a panic cause no offers yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

How long before anyone got offers on their homes mine is up since Thursday and four viewings on Friday . I’m in a panic cause no offers yet

It's only Monday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not much patience have you, weeks for decent offers. People will have get surveys done, look at it multiple times etc.

But it depends on a huge range of factors. If is a bad deal you won't get any. If its on ok deal, you'll get some, if its a bargain you'll get loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Just wanted to get a bit of advice on conveyancing costs. Discussion boards are saying a flat fee of about 750 should be possible but could be up to 1500. i have done someone shopping around this morning and I'm getting some huge quotes of 2000, even up to 4,000. Nothing near the lower figures. Am I being unrealistic?

No

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/legal-fees-and-charges-when-buying-a-house.html

Just lots of overpriced "professionals" out there. Take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

It's only Monday :pac:

Patience isn’t my best quality 😂. It’s a good deal on at a lower amount to attract attention

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Just need an advice

That means it's gone from the application processing unit to the underwriters, in my case that took two weeks. As long as your claim isn't on a tightrope I'd say you have nothing to worry about. AIB really sped up once we got past this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I wouldn't panic. Going through the same process, albeit slightly further along. You need to just constantly call them and hassle them to get anywhere. Their levels of customer service is absolutely horrendous. We have been delayed weeks by AIB alone at this stage.

I got the upfront AIP from AIB 6 weeks ago and submitted the requested documents 5 weeks ago, which are still being reviewed. Have 18 days left to sign contracts or will lose the appliances on a new build, not hopeful of AIB being able to get anything done with letter of offer within next 18 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BrosnanL27

Hi all, does anybody know if H2B has to be used as part of the deposit for a new build or can it be drawn down at any time (preferably later into the sale after the deposit has been paid out of our own savings)? Thanks

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I got the upfront AIP from AIB 6 weeks ago and submitted the requested documents 5 weeks ago, which are still being reviewed. Have 18 days left to sign contracts or will lose the appliances on a new build, not hopeful of AIB being able to get anything done with letter of offer within next 18 days.

Check with your solicitor. The builders are usually ok regarding this and wont cancel your appliances

• Advertisement

We received letter of offer . Atlast ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

You just have to keep ringing and ringing them and asking for things to be escalated. It is incredibly frustrating.

A small amount of money (not given actual figure) to be transferred from the buyer to buyer solicitor. All other stuff from bank in and ready to close. Was told Friday buyer was transferring money over to their solicitor. Still nothing in bank of their solcitor today. Would you be within your rights to threaten to relist the property? Given closing date after closing date is being missed?

It's just delay after delay with this process. Really sick of it. Also solicitors and estate agents knowing each other was a big mistake. Never again. Clicky pack of jokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Would you be within your rights to threaten to relist the property? Given closing date after closing date is being missed?

Have you served a 21-day warning notice making time of the essence?

No, is that what I need to? As mentioned the solicitor is super clicky with other solicitor and EA. Not fighting my corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 Meraf

Danger781 wrote: »
    Would also like to hear an answer on this as well if anyone can comment..

Continuation to the story - Agent called me today saying that if I give owner extra 5k they are happy to sell me apt :)

I told them no - thank you but no . Apt required investment and yet EA underpriced asking price just to get bidding war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 Meraf

i got my quote 1500 plus costs letters etc...

Don’t worry. My letter of offer issued by AIB 8-10 working days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Contracts were finally received, almost 2 months after going Sale Agreed!
    Our solicitor has a few minor issues with the contract, so there'll be a bit of back-and-forth before we sign, but nothing that worries me.

I'm asking the auctioneer if white goods will be included - they have a lovely American-style double fridge that I'd love! I can just buy my own if it's not included in the sale, but any money we can save would be wonderful - and I doubt those fridges come cheap :eek:

With any luck it'll all be sorted in a few short weeks. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

jokettle wrote: »
    Contracts were finally received, almost 2 weeks after going Sale Agreed!
    Our solicitor has a few minor issues with the contract, so there'll be a bit of back-and-forth before we sign, but nothing that worries me.

I'm asking the auctioneer if white goods will be included - they have a lovely American-style double fridge that I'd love! I can just buy my own if it's not included in the sale, but any money we can save would be wonderful - and I doubt those fridges come cheap :eek:

With any luck it'll all be sorted in a few short weeks. Fingers crossed!

A friend of ours fought to have the fridge left there when they bought. They argued it was kind of custom made, or hard to get and would significantly take away from the look of the kitchen if removed.

Best wishes in your new place.

Advertisement