Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,278 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Enjoyed that. Fury, while not at his brilliant best, was still excellent and a class above Wilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I don't know how you could come away from that fight thinking Furys conditioning was poor. If anything that fight was a testament to his great stamina - literally like a tailor made fight to showcase his stamina. He was down twice in the 4th, recovered from it and systematically battered Wilder for a couple of rounds. He was literally chasing him around the ring in the 10th round to unload combinations on him - and took some very dangerous shots himself which he easily shrugged off.

It's hard to go all in on Wilder to finish him off because he always has the punchers chance - he has the most lethal right hand in the whole division and needs just one punch to flatten you. He put Fury down twice tonight and he would not only put down but keep down any other fighter in the division, no question. If he tries to go all in on Wilder and doesn't put him down then Wilder can take him out with a counter right. There is no heavyweight that would be able to throw punches straight up with Wilder tonight like Fury did and beat him at his own game. None.

Usyk doesn't have the skill advantage to beat Fury and has all the disadvantages of reach, height, weight. It's a terrible matchup for him. Like even if you hated Fury you would say that the skill is somewhat equal but any level of objectivity and Fury is better technically than Usyk along with all the other advantages. Fury wins easy.

If Whyte beats Wallin (and I actually don't think he will, I have that as a Wallin upset) then Whyte is the mandatory challenger so we will see if Fury is bothered with that fight. If I were him I wouldn't be.

There isn't a real fight out there for Fury. If Joshua decides to fight Wilder (possible) and beats him (very unlikely) then maybe the Fury fight happens but Fury doesn't fight a Joshua just off a loss. Joshua doesn't beat Usyk if he fights him again so that definitely isn't the path to Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just to revisit the Lennox Lewis vs today. I am absolutely convinced now he obliterates all them. Wilder would not have made it past 3. And Fury would have been tagged a lot cleaner and harder by Lennox Lewis..taken out no problem. He would also obliterate Usyk and AJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Nothing wrong with Fury's conditioning, that's an absurd thing to say IMO

Fury got stronger as the fight went on, Wilder was gassing more and more but still was a punch away from winning himself...but I do agree Fury was sloppy and made it more work than it should of been, but it had nothing to do with his conditioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,635 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not in anybody's camp but you clearly are in Fury's camp and that's very clear with the following line from your post which I laughed hard at. 'Fury is better technically than Usyk'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Completely different fight than the one we watched tonight. Fury has height and reach and the rough house tactics would be a sight to behold. Quicker hands Fury. I reckon it’s a very close match up.

I can only assume that you are finding comedy based off the Cunningham fight? That's literally all you've got to 'laugh hard at'

You've come on here, talking about Furys conditioning which was so far off the mark it's hard to believe you watched the fight, or have any understanding of the sport - now you're laughing hard at Fury being technically better than Usyk, as if it's completely preposterous. Please. This has to be a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭lolie

Really enjoyed that fight, lovely finish by Fury but kudos to Wilder for lasting till the 11th. Seems like Fury got a bit complacent after R3 and nearly paid the price for it.

Also Weisfeld scored R10 10-9, should've been 10-8.

A penny for the thoughts of Mark Breland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

The two knockdowns obviously took some steam out of fury but his stamina held up and wasn't an issue.

Wilder got it all wrong coming in so heavy and big questions about his stamina and conditioning should be asked.

No one can say anything about deontay Wilders heart he took some absolute bombs off fury and has nothing to be ashamed of a fantastic slugfest.

I don't think fury was at his best but was still too good for deontay on every level and he should best usyk, he is far too big and the technical gap is alot closer than usyk Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Not really. The first round and then the 10 / 7 skewed the cards a bit. Fury was in full control

Nothing. literally

Snubbed fury when he came to corner and then walked out before result was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fight for the ages I thought one of the best I've seen now at heavyweight.

I thought Fury wasn't at his best but was still good enough and outfaught wilder. Again Wilders best hope of victory was the KO and he nearly got it, not many would have got back up after that. Fury's power of recovery are excellent. Great fight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I agree re usyk. It would be a great fight. Fury is very big probably too big for usyk. He's not big like flat foot one trick poney joshua..he can actually box

Can you imagine the build up to the fight. 2 headcases at it. Look forward to it.....hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Delighted, prick wilder shows his colours once again. Laughable to question fury's conditioning, dont know what fight some people were watching. Also wouldn't be convinced of any heavyweight past or present , besting fury, he would have to be nailed to the canvas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

He was, it wasn't the best Fury. Out of the ring for so long probably didn't help.

Do you rate him any higher now?

Mike tyson circa late 80s

Fury wouldn't get a second chance to get up

MIke Tyson too small, simple as. Furys the man, have been saying it with years.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

First I saw of Fury was the first John Mcdermott fight which I thought mcdermot won, apparently Fury wasn't training and just turned up and fought. Amazing how far he's come.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Remember sitting in the local pub years ago, think it was furys first fight and think he had irish shorts on, thought he was big and and awkward, didnt imagine he would get this far to be honest. After wlad, mind changed forever. Muscles don't win fights, fury has that traveller stamina, crazy engine for man his size.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Fury stops AJ with relative ease imo. Not a hope AJ takes heavy shots like Wilder did and continues. Wilder clatters AJ as well I think.

I think Fury is simply to big and unlike AJ he can properly box so won’t let Usyk get close enough to make it much of a contest.

Fury has had his issues but deserves enormous credit for the way he has come back the last few years, it’s really impressive and no doubt he could have competed with the best in any era.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wilder is getting a lot of flak for putting on weight, but in fairness it probably kept him in there longer than otherwise, given tactic of Tyson tying him up and leaning on him right from the start.

I don’t see Fury being beaten by the current crop of HWs. I assume he’ll fight Whyte next, although Arum will also want to keep building his profile in the US. There’s no urgency in the Joshua fight now, can see that dragging on for another couple of years, especially if Usyk wins his rematch.

Wilder is probably the most interesting fighter in the division. He’s been in some real tear-ups with Fury and Ortiz previously. Very hard to call his chances, but would love to see him fight Joshua, Whyte and Usyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Surprised that anyone is questioning Fury's conditioning. He's a 280lb man in a slugfest, getting dropped twice and still bouncing on his toes afterwards. To me he looks like the best conditioned fighter in the division. Usyk the only other guy in the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fury’s conditioning a huge key to last night’s win. I think a point was made that he was unable to sustain attacks on a clearly ready to go Wilder, and this was seen as poor conditioning

• Advertisement

Don't agree at all. To say Fury is possibly the best heavyweight in history after one title defence is laughable. Unless you're joking.

He's certainly the best lately

Advertisement