Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

cdaly_ wrote: »
    This is probably the best thing you can do to improve your road experience.

Don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but in case you are I don't literally mean cycling along the white line in the middle of the road.. I find if I do not totally hug the ditch but just move slightly out to the right (would be less than 2 cyclist cycling abreast)drivers seem to slow down more while passing.if I stay tight to the ditch it gives them extra space to fly past me and the on coming traffic.. It has happened to me numerous times and specially by trucks. I am definitely not advocating cycling in the middle of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but in case you are I don't literally mean cycling along the white line in the middle of the road.. I find if I do not totally hug the ditch but just move slightly out to the right (would be less than 2 cyclist cycling abreast)drivers seem to slow down more while passing.if I stay tight to the ditch it gives them extra space to fly past me and the on coming traffic.. It has happened to me numerous times and specially by trucks. I am definitely not advocating cycling in the middle of the road.

He's not being sarcastic at all.

I try and leave at least a metre to my left when cycling so I am about in the middle of my lane.

This way if a car is to overtake me they have to actually overtake me in the same manner they would a car. Much safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I try and leave at least a metre to my left when cycling so I am about in the middle of my lane.

This way if a car is to overtake me they have to actually overtake me in the same manner they would a car. Much safer.

Exactly. I position myself where I would place my front left wheel when i am driving. It seems like a good rule of thumb.
    This also counts when passing parked cars etc, It helps stop you getting "doored" and people pulling out in front of you.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Brits out testing eyesight. AFAIK theres no process for AGS to do the same.
    https://twitter.com/TISPOLorg/status/1019172645634535425

Graph is non sense to be fair. Less than 10% of a second difference top to bottom, and scaled to make it look shocking. Old people are probably not going as fast any way.

TBH I used the wrong one, the proper one had issues with hotlinking (scaled like crazy). If you look at the studies though the delta is significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I didn't read any sarcasm from it and would echo the sentiment. you should cycle out from the kerb - my advice is to cycle as far out as you feel makes you feel most comfortable / safest. I always cycle a decent bit out and find that it discourages the majority of would-be close passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would agree here, generally it should be the centre of the lane in between the verge and centre line. But this can be variable and if you have a consistent route you'll figure out the best positioning soon enough. Too many cyclists cycle to the absolute left of the lane, leaving them open to close passing and without space to maneouvre around obstacles such as potholes and debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I would agree here, generally it should be the centre of the lane in between the verge and centre line. But this can be variable and if you have a consistent route you'll figure out the best positioning soon enough. Too many cyclists cycle to the absolute left of the lane, leaving them open to close passing and without space to maneouvre around obstacles such as potholes and debris.

This is one of the reasons women report more close passes and bullying behaviour on the roads; they tend to cycle closer to the verge/gutter and are consequently more likely to be passed dangerously. I've seen figures for it but CBA digging for them.

It's interesting that this behaviour, which at its core is rooted in conscientious road use, encourages bad behaviour in drivers. To be safe you have to be assertive and appear to the uninitiated as an a*sehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think when you are seen as blocking a lane by a motorist they are much more likely to punishment pass. See it regularly happen to people. Depending on the road it is a good idea to either be close to the curb or in the middle of the lane. if there is no room to pass position yourself to take the lane. It really doesn't take much to antagonize motorists but best to avoid it where you can whether right or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I tend to move out from the kerb more when I can see there is oncoming traffic to stop anyone behind me thinking, "I could squeeze through there".
    There is also a short stretch on my commute that has about 20 manhole covers and drains over 50 meters so I always take the lane there.
    The more I cycle the more I sense when I need to take the lane in order to avoid danger. I used to worry about holding people up but now I'm much more focused on getting home safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I think when you are seen as blocking a lane by a motorist they are much more likely to punishment pass. See it regularly happen to people. Depending on the road it is a good idea to either be close to the curb or in the middle of the lane. if there is no room to pass position yourself to take the lane. It really doesn't take much to antagonize motorists but best to avoid it where you can whether right or wrong.

I believe the UK police recommend you cycle at least 75 cm away from the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I think when you are seen as blocking a lane by a motorist they are much more likely to punishment pass.
    The term "punishment pass" seems too flippant a description for behaviour which puts people's lives at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

The term "punishment pass" seems too flippant a description for behaviour which puts people's lives at risk.

true, it also implies that the cyclist has done something wrong that they are being punished for. road rage would be far more apt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had a bizarre one earlier where a 'wtf are you doing' look and hand gesture from me earlier led the motorist in question to basically challenge me to a bout of fisticuffs.
    he overtook me around a blind bend, which led to my exasperated throw of the hand, and within seconds was driving alongside me spewing profanity at me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

had a bizarre one earlier where a 'wtf are you doing' look and hand gesture from me earlier led the motorist in question to basically challenge me to a bout of fisticuffs.
    he overtook me around a blind bend, which led to my exasperated throw of the hand, and within seconds was driving alongside me spewing profanity at me.

I mean if you'd just go and pay that road tax he pays, he wouldn't mind so much. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was a northern reg car, so he can't even claim to pay it for the road he was on!

• Advertisement

it was a northern reg car, so he can't even claim to pay it for the road he was on!

I had a northern reg Astra skim past me on the airport roundabout a few weeks ago. Gave a bit of a "Ah come on pal" shout. He jammed on the brakes and started screaming a fairly impressive list of expletives at me.

this was an angry builder in a land cruiser who was shouting at me.

at one point he seemed to be pulling in in front of me, and i was worried that he was trying to box me in, so i braked. he braked too, so i shot up his inside, and next thing had him alongside again shouting 'SO YE WANNA STOP, D'YE? YE WANNA STOP?' - in a clear 'i believe you are interested in a bout of fisticuffs, and i would be rude to refuse such a kind offer' manner.

going by the size of him, one single punch from him would have made me forget my own name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Yesterday morning - in Portlaoise station ticket office. Pedal took a good chunk of skin off my leg and there's a bruise that looks like a map of the Six Counties!

i s**t you not.

There's a scrote who every morning comes haring through the car park on his bike - rides his bike into the ticket office and on to the platform.

He then dumps the bike wherever he gets on - by the door - and alights at Monasterevin, riding along the platform again.

Reported him to station, tweeted Irish Rail live and complained on IE webite but nothing.

at one point he seemed to be pulling in in front of me, and i was worried that he was trying to box me in, so i braked. he braked too, so i shot up his inside, and next thing had him alongside again shouting 'SO YE WANNA STOP, D'YE? YE WANNA STOP?' - in a clear 'i believe you are interested in a bout of fisticuffs, and i would be rude to refuse such a kind offer' manner.

going by the size of him, one single punch from him would have made me forget my own name.

I learned to drive in a Toyota SpaceCruiser - they're big lads. Scary driving by one of them later in small vehicles!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yesterday morning - in Portlaoise station ticket office. Pedal took a good chunk of skin off my leg and there's a bruise that looks like a map of the Six Counties!

i s**t you not.

There's a scrote who every morning comes haring through the car park on his bike - rides his bike into the ticket office and on to the platform.

He then dumps the bike wherever he gets on - by the door - and alights at Monasterevin, riding along the platform again.

Reported him to station, tweeted Irish Rail live and complained on IE webite but nothing.

Its funny, if I attempted to ride through a station I would get yanked from my bike. I got pulled off and given a bollicking for standing on a pedal and rolling through.

As a matter of interest, did the injury come from this guy hitting you? Story is a bit disjointed so can't tell if its the same story. Did he at least say sorry?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its funny, if I attempted to ride through a station I would get yanked from my bike. I got pulled off and given a bollicking for standing on a pedal and rolling through.

As a matter of interest, did the injury come from this guy hitting you? Story is a bit disjointed so can't tell if its the same story. Did he at least say sorry?

Yes, I was standing talking to the guy who sells the papers and he came riding in and clipped me.

I said "excuse me kind sir, may I ask you to alight your steed ?" (paraphasing now obviously! :D) and he told me to f**k off!

I suspect he's related to the staff somehow.

Guys do that on the platform at Heuston all the time, I don't see a problem - you're controlled but moving quicker if you're in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

next thing had him alongside again shouting 'SO YE WANNA STOP, D'YE? YE WANNA STOP?' - in a clear 'i believe you are interested in a bout of fisticuffs, and i would be rude to refuse such a kind offer' manner.

Are you sure he wasn't flirting with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Did you get a good look at him, could it have been Ronnie Pickering in a new vehicle? Hope you got the reg and reported him, maybe once they have 5+ reports against his plate they'll actually do something about him.

buffalo wrote: »
    Are you sure he wasn't flirting with you?
    maybe he was, it was a thick accent so i may have misinterpreted his intention.

Did you get a good look at him, could it have been Ronnie Pickering in a new vehicle? Hope you got the reg and reported him, maybe once they have 5+ reports against his plate they'll actually do something about him.
    northern reg, not sure how that changes what the gardai could do.

. I got pulled off

Good start to the day tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

who the f*ck's that? :pac::D

Felexicon wrote: »
    Good start to the day tbf

Thank you for going there - I had the reply "do it more often then son" but thought better!!

Stay safe on your travel lads and lasses!

Damn it, coming through Stillorgan this morning, overtaken on a turn by a left turning vehicle. lucky I was turning as well or I wouldn't be here. I let a road and the look of confusion on the drivers face was shocking.

I mean FFS, I waited behind the two turning vehicles, so they had to have waited behind me, and then accelerate stupidly to even attempt it. I am really just shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

rides his bike into the ticket office and on to the platform

Does he buy a ticket? Serious question. Sounds like he doesn't, and that he's just cutting out 25k or so of his commute for free. You should video him next time for us and tweet it to Irish Rail

p15574 wrote: »
    Does he buy a ticket? Serious question. Sounds like he doesn't, and that he's just cutting out 25k or so of his commute for free. You should video him next time for us and tweet it to Irish Rail

I don't know for certain but to be honest I would very much doubt it.

I've send stills and video to Irish Rail - might try one more time. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

Damn it, coming through Stillorgan this morning, overtaken on a turn by a left turning vehicle. lucky I was turning as well or I wouldn't be here. I let a road and the look of confusion on the drivers face was shocking.

I mean FFS, I waited behind the two turning vehicles, so they had to have waited behind me, and then accelerate stupidly to even attempt it. I am really just shocked.
    Something similar happened to me recently and I think it happened because I had signaled to turn left. The problem was, it was on to a minor road with very poor surface and I normally would avoid all the crap by cycling in the centre of it. So, luckily I wasn't going fast. It made me think, why am I bothering to signal left turns at all, when this is what happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

plodder wrote: »
    Something similar happened to me recently and I think it happened because I had signaled to turn left. The problem was, it was on to a minor road with very poor surface and I normally would avoid all the crap by cycling in the centre of it. So, luckily I wasn't going fast. It made me think, why am I bothering to signal left turns at all, when this is what happens?

The only time i will now signal a left turn is... if there is a car waiting to move out from that left turn and nobody behind me.

So few cars bother to indicate, I wonder why I make an effort to on a bike :confused:

plodder wrote: »
    mloc123 wrote: »
    The only time i will now signal a left turn is... if there is a car waiting to move out from that left turn and nobody behind me.

So few cars bother to indicate, I wonder why I make an effort to on a bike :confused:

The lane I was in was a left or straight ahead. I was near center of the lane as there were two cars waiting already and its on a hill so no point going inside. There was another cyclist behind me, who was going straight on, but slammed on his brakes when he seen the driver turn across me. So the driver had to go round this cyclist (we were all going from stop), and turn across me but would have been sitting behind us at the lights. As far as she could have been able to tell, we were both going straight ahead (not that it matters, who the **** in their right mind overtakes on a junction).

Just frustrating, and then the look of confusion, as if to say, why did he shout.

Also highlighted my current viewing angle on my camera is not suitable as my hands on the brake actually masked the car the whole way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mloc123 wrote: »

I do try my best to indicate on the bike, like when pulling out to turn right, but there are situations where keeping your hands on the bars and near the brakes is the safest option.

had a funny one yesterday on the way into work - up newtownpark avenue, saw a white van up ahead reversing out onto a driveway and swing as he did so, so he ended up parking half on the grass verge, half in the cycle lane. i wasn't moving all that fast, so it was another 10 seconds before i got to him, but i pulled out into the middle of the road in plenty of time for him to have a clear view of me in his wing mirror.

needless to say, just as i was pulling alongside, he gunned the engine and drove off - no indicators - pulling out in front of me. the chap in the prius behind at least gave me a 'WTF was that for' sort of sympathetic look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Does this class as a near miss or just plain stupidity... Lol

https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/videos/2188685301160460/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

ewc78 wrote: »
    Does this class as a near miss or just plain stupidity... Lol

https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/videos/2188685301160460/

Its just bizarre. What did she think was going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

benjamin d wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons women report more close passes and bullying behaviour on the roads; they tend to cycle closer to the verge/gutter and are consequently more likely to be passed dangerously. I've seen figures for it but CBA digging for them.

It's interesting that this behaviour, which at its core is rooted in conscientious road use, encourages bad behaviour in drivers. To be safe you have to be assertive and appear to the uninitiated as an a*sehole.

That's probably true in some cases, but I just think some people just find women easier to bully purely because they know it’s unlikely they’re going to get a dig in the face.

I cycle one of my in to school every day. There’s a small part of the commute where there’s no cycle path and we go on the (massively wide) footpath. Nobody has ever said a word to me. Ever.

My wife has done it four times and twice she’s had men roaring at her to get off the footpath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

Its just bizarre. What did she think was going to happen

Probably setting up for a big claim...... will say that she shouldn't have been able to get through the barriers...... and she'll probably get a payout

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's probably true in some cases, but I just think some people just find women easier to bully purely because they know it’s unlikely they’re going to get a dig in the face.

I cycle one of my in to school every day. There’s a small part of the commute where there’s no cycle path and we go on the (massively wide) footpath. Nobody has ever said a word to me. Ever.

My wife has done it four times and twice she’s had men roaring at her to get off the footpath.

I said it's one of the reasons.

Was your wife with the kids too? I've told both adult men and women to get off the footpath several times when they've barrelled towards me, but I don't mind if they're chaperoning kids.

If your wife was alone I'd say it's fair enough, if she was with the kids and therefore tipping along slowly then that's not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Worst day in about ten years of cycling today.
    Nearly got taken out twice on the way to work. Nearly got taken out once on the way home.

Spotted two cyclists down on the way to work, Clonskeagh road and another kid down with the fire brigade pulling in near St Killians. There was a crowd attending them, so no point in stopping.

when i was eight years old, i was cycling through blanchardstown village - on the footpath, probably on my strika - and a garda stopped me, asked me what i was doing, and ordered me to use the road.

i vaguely remember my mum being so angry she was talking about ringing the garda station about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

when i was eight years old, i was cycling through blanchardstown village - on the footpath, probably on my strika - and a garda stopped me, asked me what i was doing, and ordered me to use the road.

Same thing happened me, sent to the shops by the mother, grabbed the sister's bike, tore down the road, mounting the footpath beside the shops. The Garda car was a Vauxhall Victor I think, showing my age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

benjamin d wrote: »
    I said it's one of the reasons.

Was your wife with the kids too? I've told both adult men and women to get off the footpath several times when they've barrelled towards me, but I don't mind if they're chaperoning kids.

If your wife was alone I'd say it's fair enough, if she was with the kids and therefore tipping along slowly then that's not good.

I may not have explained the situation properly Benjamin, when I said she "done it four times" I meant she's done the school run four times with our little boy on the bikes. That's her, and the six year old on the footpath traveling at about 6kph to 10kph max. She was with the kid each time. I actually know one of the men to see, I pass him every day and he hasn't a word to say to me when I cycle by with my son on the 10 metre wide empty footpath. He's not even on the path, he's some sort of car-park attendant for the local catholic church. He roared at her from the carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I may not have explained the situation properly Benjamin, when I said she "done it four times" I meant she's done the school run four times with our little boy on the bikes. That's her, and the six year old on the footpath traveling at about 6kph to 10kph max. She was with the kid each time. I actually know one of the men to see, I pass him every day and he hasn't a word to say to me when I cycle by with my son on the 10 metre wide empty footpath. He's not even on the path, he's some sort of car-park attendant for the local catholic church. He roared at her from the carpark.

You should start doing wheelies up and the down the footpath outside he car park to catch his attention, see if he says anything (which he won't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

rushfan wrote: »
    Same thing happened me, sent to the shops by the mother, grabbed the sister's bike, tore down the road, mounting the footpath beside the shops. The Garda car was a Vauxhall Victor I think, showing my age.

One of the first Garda patrol cars, that I drove, was a Vauxhall Victor.
    You're only a chap.

amcalester wrote: »
    You should start doing wheelies up and the down the footpath outside he car park to catch his attention, see if he says anything (which he won't).

I'd report him to his boss and point out it is an odd thing he thinks it is OK to shout at women shepherding kids but not men. Two wrongs do not make a right, or was Jesus just messing about that bit. If you wanted to go full throttle on the complaint, you could ask the Priest does the Catholic Church still believe it is OK to bully women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Had a taxi driver behind me yesterday as i was bringing my daughter home from creche. We right turned off the main road with him behind us patiently waiting as we crossed the main road and he followed and he waited as we cycled around parked cars etc and I was going to give him a big wave and thanks but then he proceeded to do the most dangerous move I could have imagined. On the next corner with parked cars on my left and and oncoming car he decides he wants to overtake me (despite being so patient earlier and if he waited another 4 seconds the road was completely clear). So the oncoming car has to jam on the brakes, the taxi swerves in on top of me and nearly takes my front wheel out. it was a matter of inches. I yell a few expletives and just cannot figure out his mentality. So he is driving slowly so i follow him instead of heading to my house in case i can catch him to ask what was he thinking. I see him park up ahead and proceed but he clearly must see me in his mirrors as he heads off again when I'm about 50m away. He obviously knew he was in for a bollocking. I was so mad, confused, frightened for my daughter. He risked her life for literally 4 seconds of time. Incredible stuff. Professional driver indeed.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement