Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beasty's sweaty plaster cast - the road to recovery 2014/5/6/7.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Well done Beasty, good to see you finishing races and placing again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Well done Beasty, I was driving the trailing car for your race, and I saw you and a few others get up the road, never did see you again, I stayed with the remnants of the main bunch for the rest of the race. Your race was all over the road, there were small groups everywhere and it had blown apart totally within a lap or so.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They added a new group this year, making 7 in total. The Blue group now sits below the Greens, and yesterday they combined the 3 slowest groups - Red, Purple and Blue, with the Blues and Purples in the same race, and the Reds scoring points independently

Many of the Reds are in their 70s (with one or two in their 80s) which resulted in a few struggling particularly on the drags even during the first lap.

Having said that when the guys initially broke I could see them not too far up the road and thought it may all come back together again. I bridged over quite easily but we did then work incredibly hard certainly for that lap and a half when I was with them and were out of sight quite early on. When I was eventually caught by the second group we were told the gap was 2m 20s with less than half a lap to go and it sounds like it was at least another 3 minutes to what remained of the main group

There was a very wide range of ability in that race although I suspect that a few will end up being promoted to the Green group fairly quickly. In an ideal world, from my personal perspective if the break had not started until halfway round the 2nd lap I think I would not have blown up as I did and could have been competing at the end. Having said that it was exactly the sort of workout I needed

Funnily enough I am feeling a bit of a reaction today. Yesterday the legs were in bits but they are OK now. However the head's not quite right today. I'm sure it's a combination of the exertion from yesterday and the fact I had spent 20 of the previous 30 hours or so travelling through 8 time zones! Will be spending the rest of the day snoozing in front of the telly.....

Beasty wrote: »
    They added a new group this year, making 7 in total. The Blue group now sits below the Greens, and yesterday they combined the 3 slowest groups - Red, Purple and Blue, with the Blues and Purples in the same race, and the Reds scoring points independently

Many of the Reds are in their 70s (with one or two in their 80s) which resulted in a few struggling particularly on the drags even during the first lap.

Having said that when the guys initially broke I could see them not too far up the road and thought it may all come back together again. I bridged over quite easily but we did then work incredibly hard certainly for that lap and a half when I was with them and were out of sight quite early on. When I was eventually caught by the second group we were told the gap was 2m 20s with less than half a lap to go and it sounds like it was at least another 3 minutes to what remained of the main group

There was a very wide range of ability in that race although I suspect that a few will end up being promoted to the Green group fairly quickly. In an ideal world, from my personal perspective if the break had not started until halfway round the 2nd lap I think I would not have blown up as I did and could have been competing at the end. Having said that it was exactly the sort of workout I needed

Funnily enough I am feeling a bit of a reaction today. Yesterday the legs were in bits but they are OK now. However the head's not quite right today. I'm sure it's a combination of the exertion from yesterday and the fact I had spent 20 of the previous 30 hours or so travelling through 8 time zones! Will be spending the rest of the day snoozing in front of the telly.....

You looked one of the strongest in the group while you were in sight, you spun up the drags with what seemed like minimal effort and bridged handy over to the break which swiftly disappeared for good, 63km is a long enough return race, its longer than most A2/3 offerings to date this year, I find the Sat spin with a bit added before or after is a great one for building the endurance, that and the Lampy spin on a Thurs morning.

Once you get your endurance legs I think you'll score plenty of points in with those 2 groups, danger you might even get yourself upgraded!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »

Once you get your endurance legs I think you'll score plenty of points in with those 2 groups, danger you might even get yourself upgraded!
    It's taken me 6 years to get relegated to that group and I'm not going to give it up easily!!

I suspect that's my first ever points in a Sunday race, and I've always been better suited to 40km on a Tuesday evening. However my target for this year is 1/30th the distance of Sunday's race. The endurance will do me good. Last year I think I typically lasted through no more than 20 mins or so of real effort. On Sunday I probably slogged it out for more than twice that time - I remain a "trackie" at heart but maybe I'll end up focussing more on Points races than the Pursuit this year!

• Advertisement

Back out in the 2nd IVCA race this morning. Wasn't sure how I would go as I started a course of antibiotics on Friday for an ear infection

It had been pretty wet overnight but more overcast when warming up. That was soon to change though. Distance was pretty much the same as last week - 3 laps of around 65km in total

We rolled out neutralised up a hill that turned out to be the location of the finish line, although at that stage we were guessing exactly where the race would finish as this course had not been used "in anger" before (it will feature in a Setanta special into vets racers that was filmed at the backend of last season though)

I initially sat towards the back, with the intention of preserving energy, both as a result of not knowing whether the antibiotics would affect performance but also in the knowledge I blew up on the 3rd lap last week. I was still a bit cautious though spending a bit of time on the outside of other riders giving me a relatively clear view of what was going on ahead. I did move up halfway round the first lap though and spent pretty much the rest of the race in the front 10 or so.

I was feeling very comfortable except for the effect of the rain and spray which made everything more challenging than last week. Unlike many others I never felt the need to get out of the saddle and was happy spinning up the hills (which were few and far between)

Into the final lap and initially some thought of not competing the finish due to the conditions. There were probably 15 or so of us remaining in the main bunch and I decided to stick with it. The big unknown though was where exactly would the finish be. Most of us guessed it would be on that initial hill, but I had assumed towards the top so when we turned towards it I was happily spinning along towards the back of the group. Then perhaps 50-100m out I saw the chequered flag and thought I'd better make my move. I picked a few off but really did not push myself anywhere near as hard as I could. Another 100m and I could probably have been competing for top 3 slot as I suspect I was probably one of the stronger ones on the hills.

Anyway, there's always next week (which will be on the hilliest circuit the vets use - the Curragh). It's a bit bizzare, but indicative of the weight I've lost (as well as the fact I'm in an "easier" group this year), but I never thought I would be looking forward to the hillier races!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

The big unknown though was where exactly would the finish be. Most of us guessed it would be on that initial hill........

Except the poor lad from Bray Wheelers who went straight instead of turning up the hill. He was about 100metres off the front at that stage and may have been caught anyway!!

I had done 3 Wattbike sessions in the week, but had struggled, either as a result of the ear infection or the antibiotics I had been taking to clear it up

Antibiotics finished on Friday so hopefully clear of them by the time the race started at 9 this morning.

Weather - According to the car it was 5 degrees. The Garmin says 2-4. Either way the 30-40 km/h Easterly created a chill factor that took it well below zero when into the wind. Continuous cloud cover as well as a shower or 2 made the conditions trickier particularly as there was mud on the road in a couple of places.

4 laps that would total 69km. The hilliest course the IVCA use, so tactics were going to be interesting. I decided that I would avoid joining any breaks during the first couple of laps, with a view to saving energy. Plan was to spin up the hills as much as possible and hopefully still have something left at the end.

From leading out at the start I settled into a position in the front 3 for pretty much the first half lap. One of the other two guys was pushing harder although I was certainly holding my own amongst the 3 of us doing the work. The faster guy then created a bit of a gap and 4 others breached over. I decided to stay in the group given how early it was in the race. Then we hit the hills at the back of the circuit. The 5 up front had increased their lead and I tried pushing on, spinning reasonably comfortably. Alas by the top of the hill I turned round to see there were only 4 of us left in the chasing bunch. We had a little rain but missed the worst of the storm. We did have to put up with spray thereinafter though.

The 4 of us worked well for the next half lap, although 2 of us were doing most of the leading. Then one of the other 2 decided to push on harder up the hills. We let him go and the 3 of us who remained continued working. By this stage I was the strongest of the 3 and when we go to the hills I narrowed the gap and eventually brought one other guy over to the one who had broken away. We were though down to 3 and we worked together for the next lap and a half, although 2 of us were putting in the vast majority of the efforts. The 3rd guy was working hard enough jus to stay with us.

We got onto the final lap - half way round the guy who had broken earlier pushed on and I was in no state (or indeed mood) to close him down this time. When we got to the main hill I saw initially a solo rider and then a couple of racers in the distance and hoping they were from my own race pushed on and closed them down. Alas they had been dropped from a faster race, although during the course of that hilly section we did eventually catch one of the original 5 who had broken away. There was only a couple of km to go at that stage and when we got to the final 500m or so I pushed on leaving the other 2 behind to take 6th (I think!).

Definitely pleased with the result, particularly given the difficulty of the circuit. I managed to spin up every hill and never got out of the saddle, other than to stretch the legs, throughout the race. 3 races into the season. First 3 post-crash races completed, and placings of 7th, 8th and 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

You also had the best Jersey of the day ;)

daragh_ wrote: »
    You also had the best Jersey of the day ;)

I'm getting a bit skinny for that one so it suited me to wear it over a thick (and warm!) top

Still have a few more lined up for the rest of the season.....

(problem's going to be getting helmets, gloves, overshoes and Garmin covers to match mind!)

• Advertisement

Didn't race on Sunday following a bit of a relapse on Saturday with dizziness setting in during the evening. Fortunately I was feeling fine by Sunday evening and went out for an hour then, following it up with a commute today.

Had previously done the Club league prologue TT last Wednesday. The results were largely used to determine who would race in the "A" and "B" leagues for the season. Hence although at the time I was simply assuming I finished in mid-table mediocrity, it turns out I actually finished 4th in the "B" league. Due to clashes with the track league I may not do anything more this year in the club league other than rest on my laurels with never having finished outside the top 4....

That also provides an opportunity to brag about all my racing so far this year. It started with 6th place in my age group in the LVRC Omnium championships in February. 3 IVCA races have resulted in 7th, 8th and 6th places, and Wednesday's result now means I've finished in the top 10 in all 5 races so far this season:p

Won't be racing next weekend as I've some track sprint training in Derby lined up. I'll also miss the start of the track league but will hopefully be back and raring to go in the next IVCA race a week on Sunday.

That's good to hear, B league rival hangs up road bike after TT 4th in search of track glory.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

That's good to hear, B league rival hangs up road bike after TT 4th in search of track glory.....

I'm still wondering what you are doing in the b league! Saw you last night and thought you had picked up the wrong number

stecleary wrote: »
    I'm still wondering what you are doing in the b league! Saw you last night and thought you had picked up the wrong number
    He's a vet now - there to pass on his expertise to the youngsters, although that does assume he can keep up with them.

What's more important though, well in the context of this thread anyway, is why the hell have they promoted me to semi-limit?:eek:

He's a vet now - there to pass on his expertise to the youngsters, although that does assume he can keep up with them.

What's more important though, well in the context of this thread anyway, is why the hell have they promoted me to semi-limit?:eek:

What happened to your Strava account Beasty, was trying to get a look at the power you were putting out in the Vet's Curragh race only to find you seem to have done a disappearing act!

What happened to your Strava account Beasty, was trying to get a look at the power you were putting out in the Vet's Curragh race only to find you seem to have done a disappearing act!
    Trying to keep all my training data secret. I may well be there, but not necessarily where you might expect me to be...:p

Stats on the Curragh, 2hrs 15 mins average excluding zeros 208w, normalised 226w

First lap, NP=245w over about 32 mins

Been doing some sprint training in Derby over the weekend.

Saturday was flying 200 technique. We did a couple of 100m efforts followed by a flying 200 to seed us for some head to heads on Sunday

We had no opportunity to try out the track ahead of our efforts and this was my first experience of the new Derby velodrome. First lap I moved up to the blue line for minor panic to set in when I had a wobble on one of the bends. Anyway I carried on without further incident hitting a peak power of 680w with 10s at 582w in the effort. After that I discovered a couple of others had a similar experience on the bend - we had discovered the infamous Derby ridge.

2nd effort I was a little cautious at the ridge but still felt the front wheel go a little. They timed this effort at around 6.8s, equating to something like 13.6 over 200m (although most riders were to subsequently show a little tail off in the second half when we were timed over 200m) - that would have equalled my PB

Final effort and I got my build up OK, but only managed 14s, although I had splits of 6.99 and 7.01s (and it is quite usual for me when I do get splits to be almost even)

So onto Sunday and the head to heads. I was the slowest qualifier and my first race would be against the girl who was second slowest. She would be leading and my plan was to leave a gap of 4-5m and then rush it late on. Alas the plan failed miserably with my opponent catching me unawares a lap out to take the win. Interestingly though I did manage to hit a peak power of 889w with a 20s average of about 700w (10s @ 822w) - quite an improvement on all my qualification efforts.

2nd head to head and our roles were reversed. Plan was simple. No-one had tried it so far and the first one to give it a go often wins - all out from the start. Worked to perfection with my pursuiting skills coming to the fore, so now it was 1:1. Peak was 920w, with 30s at 671w (10s @761w) - again significantly better than any of Saturday's efforts

3rd race was a 3-up. I was third in line against the girl I was 1:1 with and another who was faster and much more experienced than either of us. Plan was to try and force my way into 2nd as the 3rd rider hardly ever wins. Alas the other 2 were having none of it so plan B kicked in and I moved quickly into first and from a 2 and a half laps out just pushed on. The faster girl came past me in the home straight but my tactics had certainly worked better than in the first race. This time peak power was 830w with 60s at 577w (10s @ 760w))

Final race was another 3-up this time with me leading with the girl I had been up against in all rounds and another guy who had shown quite a bit of speed in beating the girl who had won the 3rd race although he was inexperienced at sprinting. This time the tactic was to stay at the front al all costs. Basically try and keep it as slow as possible but push on if anyone attempted to overtake. Leading off I looked round. The other 2 were there but seemed to be busy chatting to each other. I later discovered they were saying something along the lines "he won't try that again". Another 20m or so and I looked around again and they were still dawdling. Sod the plan! Plan B kicks into action. Drag race to the line. The new guy managed to catch my back wheel but not before my front one had already reached that line!! My tactics may not have been particularly cunning, but definitely effective... This time peak power was 825w with 50s at 622w (10s @707w)

In one of the races I led on the "flat" at a marginally faster cadence (and therefore speed) than I did in the flying lap with a steep downhill start! My head to head performances were far superior to any of the time trial efforts. Plenty of food for thought there, with maybe needing to work on cadence, or possibly using a higher gear or maybe more likely both to improve my flying 200 time. There is clearly quite a bit of improvement in me - just need to find a way of delivering it. The whole weekend (which included a very informative physiology talk from one of the specialists employed by the GB paracycling squad) was great experience and hopefully will help in future sprint efforts, be it indoors on the track or outdoors at Sundrive or the end of an IVCA road race.

3 weeks since the last road race and today's wet and windy 70km was likely to be a bit different from last Sunday's indoors 750m efforts.

I hatched my cunning plan on the way over. Although draggy the Kentstown circuit should suit me. However with little in terms of long efforts for 3 weeks the idea was to basically hide away in the group and perhaps wait until late on - ideally it would be a bunch sprint and I would have a chance to try out my newly discovered sprint tactics.

Alas things did not entirely go to plan. I drove the circuit when I arrived and there were some very bad potholes in at least 3 places, spreading across the full road width in one case. Taking into account the poor weather I was having 2nd thoughts about competing but went ahead and signed on.

Then we were informed it would be a handicap, basically blowing my plan altogether. The problem with races like that is I typically will do my fair share of work and more. Today was no different and I did some long pulls around the circuit, particularly on the flatter sections. Early on the 2nd (of 3) lap it became clear that one or two guys were getting frustrated that a large number in the group were not contributing. My own view was we were going too hard for many in the group and they were struggling to hold on. It was still early in the race and the handicaps in IVCA races are actually set very well - certainly better than I've ever seen in open races with groups staying away or only being caught very late on.

My own view is it's better to keep the group as large as possible until the catch is made then it can be a case of everyone for him/herself. Alas others in the group had different ideas and just as I had been doing some decent efforts to help keep the pace up about half a dozen or so broke away. I did not react immediately as TBH I didn't want to do all the work in dragging everyone back on. By the time anyone else did show some interest I looked back to see there were only 2 of us left! Anyway as another joined us I did some big pulls and at one time thought we would be able to get back on when we came to some of the descents.

What I did not realise was my HR was peaking at a level I’d never seen before. Only on looking back did I see it hit 192, and averaged 190 for over 30s at that point suggesting it was not down to a spike in the recording – that’s 5bpm higher than I had previously recorded. No wonder then that’s where I blew up. I knew we would have no chance of getting near the points although I hoped I may latch back on to what had become 3 ahead of me. However it also became clear that was a forlorn hope and with my back starting to play up and my wrist becoming quite numb, I headed in after 2 laps. A good all-round workout and certainly should stand me in good stead for next week and beyond when hopefully my cunning plans will deliver results.

Thanks go to Brendan Culleton for the following image of me in pre-race contemplation:

Although I did a TT in the club league a few weeks ago, that was on the road bike. Tuesday was the first time I had done one on the TT bike since the accident (although I have done a few pursuits on the track, they involved being in the aero position for less than 3 minutes at a time)

It was a vets 10 miler on a course I am familiar with - the Black Bull course through Batterstown

In the warm-up the TT position did feel a little unusual, and indeed quite uncomfortable in a way that I did not recall from prior to the accident. Certainly being on a rough road was quite a contrast to a smooth velodrome surface

Anyway, I got to the start, albeit not fully aero - it was chilly enough not to use a skinsuit.

Looking through the power records I was actually not too far adrift from what I was doing 3 years ago on the outward leg. However a headwind and overall incline meant my time was looking quite slow. Approaching the turn I was really starting to feel the wrist and shoulder and thereafter that just got worse. The power dipped from 260-270w on the way out (plus a bit more when getting up to speed), to nearer 240w until 2km from home when I raised it back up to 260w. For a lot of that return journey my right hand was resting on rather than gripping the bar. 2 days later and I can still feel the discomfort in the wrist and shoulder.

My time was 26:32, over 2 minutes slower than I had previously achieved. Conditions were far from ideal and I think a few were quite a way behind their PBs. My average power was just shy of 260w, perhaps 25w or so down on my PB, but that should only be worth 40-50s. That's certainly the highest I've put out over 25 minutes+ since before the accident. Certainly there are also some aero gains to come, but the main issue for now is getting a more comfortable position as there is no way I could complete a 25 miler if I get the same type of reaction in my arm

Back to monasterevin today - the scene of my second road race of the year when I discovered some climbing legs. Alas they had disappeared by today. It was another mini CP and the first lap was 3-4 minutes faster than last time. I was back to my old habit of staying out of trouble either at the back or riding outside others leaving myself over-exposed to the wind. My power output during the 35 minutes it took to do that first lap was on a par with other races so far this year and it did feel hard

Coming towards the main climb at the start of the 2nd lap I felt well positioned. Alas I lost a number of places as we turned a corner to start the climb. As last time I stayed in the saddle and spun away, although it was definitely feeling harder. Unfortunately I found myself boxed in by some slower riders and by the time I had extracted myself the main bunch was already some distance away. I tried in vain to get back on. Indeed I put out my strongest power of the day over the next 8km or so. 3 of us, including Jimm, regrouped for a while and I pulled in at the end of the second lap

Hopefully I'll be back on track (Sundrive to be precise) by Wednesday evening

• Advertisement

Been struggling a bit with the shoulder and the back was playing up on Monday, meaning there was no way I would even consider the vets race on Tuesday

However track racing is much shorter and the surface is smooth so yesterday evening saw my seasonal return to the track league

I had been warned we had a new but very fast youngster in the group and so it turned out with him taking the 8 lap progressive race. I went from a lap out but everyone must have stayed close enough and 3 came past me in the last 20 metres or so - probably only lost 3rd place by not much more than the width of a tyre

Having taken 4th in that race I expected to face quite a handicap in the 1km handicap race. The handicapper looked kindly on me though and I ended up in the front group. Hugh gave us our tactics before hand - work to stop them catching. So I let him lead for half a lap then basically went for it. 750m is my sort of distance and I knew that was my best chance. One guy came up alongside me in the home straight but I pushed on and he faded, so my first win of the year was secured.

Next up was the kierin - 5 of us behind the derny and I settled into last place. As it was about to pull off I moved up alongside man 2. Unfortunately the guy at the front then decided to pull up the track forcing me to swerve to avoid him. When I got past him I though the only thing I could then do was go for it which I duly did. Again though i got caught in the final 20m or so and finished 3rd

Final race was a hare & hound combimned with the ladies. The handicapper did not look as kindly upon me this time and I was in the last group. Worked hard for 5-6 laps but it was clear that gadetra's group was not going to be caught so I eased up and cheered her on to her 3rd or 4th victory of the evening.

Yesterday I was back at the Curragh for a vets race, Same distance as we did the 3rd race of the season when I managed to take 6th place, although this time the weather conditions were immeasurably better

There was a frantic start and even when things settled down we were still going at a fair pace. As it turned out we did the first lap over 3 minutes faster than last time and were not that much slower than the 2 "faster" races. Indeed all 3 races seemed to break up on the first lap. As we crested the main hill for the first time I became detached and then worked with one other guy to catch another who had been dropped. The 3 of us worked hard to close down the front group and after we were joined by a 4th we made some serious inroads into their lead. Alas after some hard TT-type efforts on the flat I struggled up the next incline. I knew my chances of any points were pretty much gone if I could not manage to get back on by the time we topped the main hill again, but it soon became apparent I would not make it

With another 10m TT due tomorrow evening I decided to save the legs and eased off, packing in once we reached the start finish line again. Overall my NP over 63 mins or so was 245w with 260w over the first 35 mins or so, which was certainly pushing the limits at present. Still felt relatively fresh afterwards so hopefully I'll be able to improve the TT time from 2 weeks ago, provided the shoulder holds out (and I did feel it a little yesterday, although it was more the wrist playing up with it going quite numb after about 45 mins)

Another vets TT last night.

The day did not start well when I left my phone at home. Anyway it wasn't as if I needed it and I headed off towards Battertown and the Black Bull circuit. Traffic was horrendous on the M50, but I still managed to get there with plenty of time to spare.

No-one else was there when I arrived - maybe others had been held up. Then I thought maybe I had the wrong course. Without my phone I could not check so I drove off to the meeting location for another nearby circuit and again there was no-one there. Maybe I had go the dates wrong? Perhaps tonight was supposed to be a road race? No use if it was as I only had the TT bike with. Sh!t, my head is starting to play games with me again:(.

Headed back to the Black Bull sign-on location and still no-one there. Sod it, I'll just race myself! Headed into Batterstown to park up and sort myself out. After the major suffering with my arem and shoulder last time I had dropped the saddle a centimetre and also sloped it down slightly. I had turned the bars up a little and lowered the presssure in the tubs to try and make things a bit more comfortable.

Everything set and I headed back to the start. By doing the full outward leg and returning to Battertown I would not complete the circuit but should have some useful data to compare with last time. It turned out the wind was stronger but more southerly making it almost a crosswind. That made it a little disconcerting as I was heading to the start line but I thought if it was too bad I could simply stop again in Batterstown.

Anyway started and dropped onto the TT bars. This time it did feel more comfortable and the lower profile alleviated some of the wind issues. Was certainly not full gas but near enough and completed the outward leg in just under 13 minutes. Looking back my power was down on last time but the time was quite a bit faster. The wind was stronger but not so much in my face which may help explain that.

Back to Batterstown I and pulled up just after 3/4 distance. Although I was feeling the arm a little it was no-where near as bad as last time. Speed was faster (probaby 30-40s when extrapolated over the full distance) and power was lower (about 12w) meaning I must have been quite a bit more aero, although the discomfort last time must also have been a factor.

Headed home and eventually established the IVCA had been runnung a TT but over at Kilcock. Looking back it's not a bad thing that I did the Black Bull course as that has allowed me to get some sensible comparitives between the 2 efforts this year and a steer on what I may need to do to improve my times further.

Back to Kentstown this morning for what will probably be my final Sunday race before the British Track Masters in early July. Between now and then training will be more track focussed

The format today was the same as last time I did this circuit 3 weeks ago - a mini CP. There would be 8 in the group ahead and 12 of us chasing them down.

During the first lap we probably had 4 or 5 of us doing the vast majority of the work with one or two more chipping in when they could. There were a few more very notable by their attempts to hide from putting any effort in. Didn't bother me too much as this was as much about getting a good workout for me. I did some longs stints, particularly on the flat and the declines, but also managed to hide enough to recover when required. About halfway round the 2nd lap we saw the group ahead, but had already been informed that 3 had broken away from that group. I worked to bring us up to that group only for the other "workers" plus a couple of "hangers on" to push on just as I was starting to take some shelter from the enlarged group. By the time I got round the slower riders the others had got away. I made some effort to bridge over but eventually resigned myself to working with the guys we had just caught and did that for the rest of the race

Coming up to the final sprint we were caught by the scratch race and I eased back to allow some space between the groups. That meant I left my sprint until later than I had wanted and was caught by one guy, although I suspect there were no points at stake anyway

Probably my best workout since the accident particularly as I felt I still had something left at the end. Overall NP over just under 2 hours was 226w compared to 220w over 85 minutes last time. Over the first lap it was 249w (last time 232w) and the 2nd 226w (210w)

Next up - hopefully my 2nd track league outing on Wednesday

Relatively quiet week as this was supposed to be my last "easy" week ahead of the GBR Track Masters in another month. A couple of level 1/2 commutes, 50 mins out with the kids yesterday and an hour working on cadence today, plus the track league on Wednesday

First race was a 10 lap "progressive" - 3 laps controlled before the race "opened up". The 2 guys leading the league broke away in the final lap and I had to settle for 3rd.

Next up the 1km handicap. This time I was in the middle with one other - the 2 fastest 50m behind and 4 others 50m ahead. Tried to close down the 4 in front and made some inroads but that stalled when I let the other guy take the front. May have made it if I had stayed in front for the full 1st lap but I would have had nothing left anyway, so no points this time.

Then on to the win & out. The 2 fast guys broke away and I close them down but they went again. Unfortunately the 2nd fastest won the first sprint meaning I would have to beat the fastest if I wanted to win the next one. Looked around and there was no-one with me and closed the guy down. Didn't want the others to catch up so ended up leading out in the next sprint lap and he managed to get past me in the final few metres - only a couple of inches in it but I had to face up to another 3 laps. Worked to stay away and looking over with a lap to go I was probably half a lap ahead so could take that final lap a bit easier

Onto the final race - the Italian pursuit and I had the fastest guy in my team. I would take the penultimate half lap and leave the final surge to him. In the end we had too much left to do and missed it by a few metres

Next week I hope to make an impact in the vets RR on Tuesday night, then it's the track league on Wednesday and the Duane Delaney Track GP on Saturday. So far only 6 have entered my group, but there's usually a last minute rush of ringers...

Been a bit of a hectic week

Tuesday evening IVCA race - advertised as 2 laps of the short Summerhill circuit, but turned into 3 and 50 km in total. Hid most of the race knowing I was due to be doing the track league on Wednesday. Probably 15 or so still in the group coming into the final kilometre and I was sat at the front half a bike length behind the guy on the inside. Was trying to control the pace but overdid it - should probably have gone faster and was caught unawares when someone jumped. Still felt very strong as I crossed the line in 7th

Wednesday's track league started with an unknown distance - between 3 and 12 laps. I guessed it would be quite short as they were trying to cram a lot in that evening. Hence as we approached the lap board each time I made sure I was near the front. I went on a bit longer than I anticipated and it was the end of the 6th lap that the bell rang. I pushed hared but was overtaken by 3 others in the home straight so failed to pick up any points

Next it was 3 up sprints and I was up against 2 kids. I failed to trouble the scorers leaving the others to battle it out

Then it was a 8 lap handicap. The good news was I was in the front 5 with a lead of maybe 300m over the 4 chasers. We worked very well as a group and the others hardly made any inroads. There were 3 of us left in the end and I took 2nd

Final race was a 10 lap scratch when the efforts of the 2 days were starting to taken their toll so again no points

Then did a commute on Thursday and a prep WB session for Saturday's racing on Friday

Then Saturday was the Duane Delaney Track GP. We raced in our usual league groups although had one or two extras turning up. The fast kid from our group did not enter and after a couple of no shows we had 8 in our group

First was the flying 200. Slightly disappointed with 14.4s, but happy enough with 3rd

Then it was 1 mile - about 3.5 laps. I managed to avoid any work until late on and went from just over a lap out. Was expecting someone to come up alongside in the home straight but it never happened and I too maximum points to then be leading by 1

We then had a 10 lap scratch. I knew there were 3 good endurance riders and I tried playing some mind games, basically taking the wheel of any of those 3 moving up towards the front. One other guy broke after a couple of laps and built up a lead of maybe 50m or more but we gradually reined him in. Pushed hard again from just over a lap out but knew no-one was likely to take me in the back straight so I made sure I was keeping something in reserve. Unfortunately I moved slightly out of the sprinters lane in the final bend and someone came up inside me. I pushed again in the home straight but he held on to take it by not much more then 10cm. That put the pair of us in equal 1st place in our group

Finally we had the 500TT and once again I made an abysmal start ending up in 7th place (albeit 3s or so faster than last year). That was enough to take 2nd in the group and equal 5th overall. Just a pity they didn't have a first vet award!

In terms of work done and overall effort this has been the hardest week since the accident. I'm feeling it a bit in the legs and the back was playing up yesterday but otherwise I'm OK

Anyway my travels have brought me to Scotland (with a bike or two in the car!) so no racing this week (or indeed next when I'll be in Spain) but a bit of focus on preparation for the GBR track masters at the start of next month

Spent Thursday travelling over to Newport with the GBR Masters starting on Friday with the sprint

I had entered all 5 events but was uncertain how far I would make it as I had been on antibiotics all week for an ear infection. It's the 4th time since my accident that the ear has blown up (almost literally!) like that, and I am now wondering if it's possibly caused by all the damage as that was the side of the face that was smashed up worst. I've also suffered from sinus issues for many years which may be contributing to the problems, Anyway I'll now arrange to visit an ENT specialist in the hope of finding out what's going on.

Friday turned into a very long and strenuous day, despite having to make only 3 efforts. First was the TT and my time of 13.6 matched my PB from a few years ago. I did try and focus on keeping to the black line and feel there is more to come. I had also pushed up the gearing trying 100"+ for the first time, although it's pretty clear I need to work more on cadence, and that will be a focus over the winter

The 1st round draw had me against the fastest as my time was shown as slowest. However they had a review and suddenly I realised I was not slowest at all meaning I would be up against 2nd fastest who is also a team mate in my UK team.

He started high and drew me up the track, albeit only slightly. Afterwards he told me I went marginally above the red line and he dashed underneath me. Gave me the fright of my life as he knocked against me as he came past for an easy win.

I originally though the repechage would be a 2-up and planned to go from the start. It was though a 3-up and I was starting from the fence. I stayed high round the first bend and with us basically 3 abreast I decided to go for it. The other 2 got straight on my wheel meaning it became a drag race and they both came past with just under half a lap to go. Probably 10 hours for 3 races and with all the warming up and down I was pretty shattered when I got back to the hotel

Saturday morning was the TT and the daunting start gate. As usual a pretty poor start and as usual I took last, but my time as again not too far away from my PB and I'll claim victory over those who failed to turn up!! After that I felt a twinge in my back. It had been showing some signs of problems earlier in the week when I'd been practicing starts. Hopefully it would settle down for the scratch race later on in the day

There were 19 of us signed on for the scratch which was due to be run over 32 laps/8km. I stayed near the front to start but pulled up the track rather than take any turn at the front. That encouraged 2 or 3 attempted breaks and eventually one of them stuck. Again I did not want to work to close it down and again I was caught out. This time 3 of us ended up stranded (with one or two already dropped). I reckon I could have closed the gap down early on but knew if I did so I would have nothing left. hence I focussed on winning our "mini race". We worked until about 3 laps out when we were lapped by the breakaway. I thought we were being called in to avoid getting caught up in the main group sprint but the other 2 pushed on. There was a gap of over 20m when I decided to try and catch them again and I caught them with a lap to go but only had enough left to take one of them. Still there were 3 or 4 behind me in that race.

I had not been feeling well all day and was having some balance problems on the rollers. I decided I was going to try and d the pursuit on Sunday but the way things were getting dragged out and the way I was feeling I would probably not be sticking around for the points race.

So this morning it was the 2k. 13 entered, but only 8 of us turned up. That's 5 scalps anyway!! Plan was to try and take it easy over the first half and pick it up in the last 4 laps if I had anything left. By the end of lap 3 I was dying. I felt as if all the stress of the weekend and probably the effects of the illness were catching up. Only looking back at the data do I see I actually did pick things up in the 2nd half. 2m 46.6 was a disappointing time, but given the way I was feeling I probably should not complain. Comments from others were that conditions were a little slow and Manchester is more suited to pursuiting. the time was slightly faster than I did at the same track in February, but I feel as if there remains plenty of room for improvement. Looking at my start I actually went very fast when out of the saddle, perhaps 10-15% faster than when I dropped onto the aero bars. I stayed pretty much on the red line and I reckon if I can get down to the black and even out the effort more I could break 2m 40s, but that will clearly have to await another day. I did manage to beat my opponent by 5s and there was another slower so I did claim 6th (and not last!) place...

Getting off the bike it was clear my back had gone properly this time and its just got worse since, so I suspect it's going to be a matter of getting some physio when I get back to Dublin

25+ years of back problems including 4 operations, the last one nearly 15 years ago. Although I get these spasms perhaps once or twice a year, today is the first time it's prevented me getting into work since that last operation! Had physio on Monday and have another session lined up tomorrow. Hoping I'll be able to loosen things up a bit on the WB later, that's if I can manage to get out of the house and into the gym.....

The back spasm I suffered was probably the worst I've experienced. However like last time this hit me (in September) the recovery, once it started over the weekend, has been remarkably rapid. 3 years ago I would probably have continued suffering for perhaps a month. Now I can get over these bouts in half that time

I put that improvement down to the core work I've been doing. Weekly pilates for the past 18 months or so is really showing its benefit

Only problem now is I seem to have picked up a bit of a head cold! However better now than when I'm fully back. Hopefully both ailments will have cleared up sufficiently by the weekend to allow me to get on a proper bike

• Advertisement

So the back spasm has improved in the sense I am now walking upright, although I am getting sciatica down my leg which has the odd sensation of pain combined with numbness

Last night I made my return to the track league. In theory the endurance events should have suited me but it soon became clear I was struggling, partly down to the lack of effort over the past couple of weeks, partly down to been a little reticent trying to avoid exacerbating my back problems, partly down to this virus which was seeing me struggle particularly towards the end of the races and partly because a load of very fast newbies seem to have materialised!

First event was a points race. I was competitive in the first sprint taking 4th, but struggled in the second and eased off before the final one. Next up was the kierin where I managed to position myself quite well after the derny dropped off but was swamped in the home straight.

I lowered my gearing for the devil and that did improve things. I got my efforts right in the first 4 sprints but then felt I had had enough and eased back just to get a second wind and a spurt in the home straight saw me through. I was cooked by then though and did not contest the next one. However my 3 minute power was pretty decent.

Was thinking about giving the final scratch race a miss but fading light reduced it to 6 laps and I decided to give it a lash. Stuck around for 5 laps but again did not compete for the sprint - normally I'm just getting warmed up by the last event and my strength tends to show but last night I was clearly struggling

I'll see how I am on Sunday and may give the vets race a go, but expect to drop out after a couple of hard laps if I do

Advertisement