Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What’s wrong with flat pedals on a road bike?

• 12-04-2021 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I know this topic reoccurs every few years but I’m wondering if current thinking has changed.

What is “wrong” with flat pedals on a road bike?

I’m not going to race, ever. And couldn’t care less about it looking weird/wrong/uncool etc.

I have no interest in pulling up on the pedal, it’s not something I’m likely to learn (or need to) after 25 years of commuting on flat bar hybrids and road bikes. I’m not convinced clipless pedals are more efficient unless you’re an elite cyclist, I’ve read arguments for and against.

So, flats with pins and decent grippy soled shoes? Any reason not to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Why not.

If its what you want go for it.

There are no rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There are no rules.
    *ahem*

https://www.velominati.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Why not.

If its what you want go for it.

There are no rules.

Well that’s what I thought until I mentioned it in company and the harassment started, just as well I’m thick skinned!

endacl wrote: »

Haha, they sound like great crack :)

quenching wrote: »
    Well that’s what I thought until I mentioned it in company and the harassment started, just as well I’m thick skinned!

Just have some tap dancing music ready on your phone for the moment they get off their bike and clip clop around :)

• Advertisement

I ride studded mtb flats on my road bike these days. A few others here do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Open toe clips with no straps are a good compromise, giving you ability to push forward and no issues clipping in and out.

endacl wrote: »

This gets thrown at me regularly, I’ve lost track of my long list of infringements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I got as far as #23...

For more on riding fast downhill see Rule #64 and Rule #85.

As have I on my commuter hybrid and have never slipped a foot off a pedal, ut I’ve been harangued into clipless on the road bike. I’m swapping them over for the next spin. Might wear baggy shorts too...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Same here on my main bike which is a cx. Was on SPDs for years but prefer the studded flats for mixed road and light off road. Still getting PBs on strava regularly so hasn't affected speed and no issues slipping off pedals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭fat bloke

smacl wrote: »
    Same here on my main bike which is a cx. Was on SPDs for years but prefer the studded flats for mixed road and light off road. Still getting PBs on strava regularly so hasn't affected speed and no issues slipping off pedals.

Yeah, but all those PB times are *not clipped in asterixed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I have flat pedals on one of my road bikes. I took the clip ones off for commuting. Easier to hop on and off at shops etc.

My gravel bike has double sided pedals for the same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Regret not having flats on the gravel bike after a few rustiness (and being lazy about tyre pressure) caused comedy falls at the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I know this topic reoccurs every few years but I’m wondering if current thinking has changed.

I’m not going to race, ever. And couldn’t care less about it looking weird/wrong/uncool etc.

I have no interest in pulling up on the pedal, it’s not something I’m likely to learn (or need to) after 25 years of commuting on flat bar hybrids and road bikes. I’m not convinced clipless pedals are more efficient unless you’re an elite cyclist, I’ve read arguments for and against.

Apart from not looking pro, while you're not, nothing. What's more, poorly fitter clipless might be harmful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why bother with the road bike at all then OP as you said your not racing or anything just out for the jaunt.

Genuine question what's the point in having that bike at all. Why not just get a commuter or some hybrid variant.

If someone wants to handicap themselves with flat pedals on a roadbike sure knock yourself out but realise that it does lose you power and create more effort . That's just the facts.

It's no some rage against rules or anything you are just putting more effort on yourself.

Open toe clips with no straps are a good compromise, giving you ability to push forward and no issues clipping in and out.

This matters only in sprinting. Medium term performance is not affected at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ARX

You may need narrow shoes. Chainstays on a road bike are comparatively short, so shoes with wide soles (like runners) may hit the chainstays.

listermint wrote: »
    Why bother with the road bike at all then OP as you said your not racing or anything just out for the jaunt.

Genuine question what's the point in having that bike at all. Why not just get a commuter or some hybrid variant.

If someone wants to handicap themselves with flat pedals on a roadbike sure knock yourself out but realise that it does lose you power and create more effort . That's just the facts.

It's no some rage against rules or anything you are just putting more effort on yourself.

Looking at the following GCN clip, it doesn't seem that clear cut

Road bikes have a load of advantages over hybrids beyond the pedals, e/g/ personally I wouldn't be without drop bars for any long spin given the option. Setting up a road bike for whatever style of cycling you're into is entirely reasonable IMHO. I think saying not being clipped in is a handicap is a bit of an exaggeration at best for many leisure cyclists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this has no bearing whatsoever on what sort of bike the OP chooses to ride.
    there are many other reasons (s)he might choose a road bike which don't encompass pedal choice or power output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was out for a spin on my mountain bike recently and on the on-road sections I was surprised at how little difference there was in my average speed compared to my road bike, despite flat pedals, big knobbly tyres, front suspension and the non-aero ride position (the bike is 3kg heavier too).

Having said that, I definitely "feel" the benefit of being clipped in when climbing and being able to push forward and pull up on the pedals. Whether it's any faster, I don't know or really care that much. The downside is I'm always slightly worried about falling over if I fail to unclip, particularly on very steep sections where if you're not pedalling, you stop dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I don't think I'd go so far as to say you need to be an elite cyclist to feel a benefit from clipless. I generally ride at anywhere from 25-40kph so I'm from from a highly trained roadbiker, but when I went clipless about 3 yrs ago I felt it easier straight away to put down power and I got a little bit faster.

Having said that, if you don't feel the need for them, then there's no reason to have them. They are a bit annoying if you just want to breeze down to the shops and back in your regular shoes. I use double sided ones so I can clip in when I want, and I can just use the flat side when I'm on a relaxing spin out and about with Mrs D and the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've an uncle who bought the pedals (Look) but refused to buy the shoes. He does a lot of cycling, including many sportive and does the Ring of Kerry every year... in Look pedals... and runners....:eek:

I've tried. He simply will not be told:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

smacl wrote: »
    Looking at the following GCN clip, it doesn't seem that clear cut

Road bikes have a load of advantages over hybrids beyond the pedals, e/g/ personally I wouldn't be without drop bars for any long spin given the option. Setting up a road bike for whatever style of cycling you're into is entirely reasonable IMHO. I think saying not being clipped in is a handicap is a bit of an exaggeration at best for many leisure cyclists.

It takes more effort to cycle the same speed and or distance . I found especially on inclines.

Therefore it's a handicap . I'd rather expend less effort personally . But that's just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hang on OP, you want to wear runners while out cycling on a road bike :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My commuter has flat SPD pedals. Easy for clipping in and out commuting and I can walk around in the shoes. Plenty of people use these for leisure cycling as well.

"proper" cycling shoes tend to be stiffer. So for a longer ride, you might have more comfort from a SPD-SL / Look type pedal with corresponding "proper" cycling shoes.

I've been through a wide variety of pedal types (and bikes!). Initially on my road bike I used the regular type clipless ones, these annoyed me with the clip clopping around when not on the bike. Then I started using the recessed mountain bike style as below, which has a flat side too for best of both worlds.

Shimano-A530-SPD-Touring-Clipless-Pedals_15541_1_SuperSize.jpg

I found these great, and they remain on my road bike.

However I have a nice touring bike now and I use that mostly (well I will be having my first ride today in over 6 months cause of Covid), I have a wide platform mtb pedal, as below. To be honest, I have not found a big difference between being clipped in or using this type of pedal, I have never slipped off them, and on long rides on my touring bike they are far more comfortable and practical.

aHR0cHM6Ly9pbWFnZXMucm9zZWJpa2VzLmRlL2dldF9pbWFnZS8_dD1FRDEwMzVGMDdGRTc1NjU3NkM4RjA3RkEzOERGMEI1RQ.webp

I would say to go with whatever you like unless in a race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sure maybe throw on a pair of GAA shorts while you're at it :pac:

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Sure maybe throw on a pair of GAA shorts while you're at it :pac:

Take that smirk of your face, it went out of fashion years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ARX

On my touring bike I have these Rose flat pedals with Salomon trail running shoes. The shoes have stiff soles compared to runners so they are comfortable for cycling all day. The pedals have cartridge bearings rather than cup & cone - there is probably about 20,000 km on them now and they are still running smoothly with hardly any play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My wife bought a Liv Langma bike recently. The Shimano cranks had a warning sticker on it which said " this crankset must be fitted with pedals equipped with a Clipless system" or words to that effect. Not an issue for her, as she uses clipless pedals, but a strange one all the same.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    My wife bought a Liv Langma bike recently. The Shimano cranks had a warning sticker on it which said " this crankset must be fitted with pedals equipped with a Clipless system" or words to that effect. Not an issue for her, as she uses clipless pedals, but a strange one all the same.

Wonder is it something to do with small frame sizes and a clipless pedal not allowing your toes to be too far forward in the event they catch the front wheel when turning?

I've seen similar warnings relating to max tire sizes on some cx/gravel bikes as a clipping hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I had Shimano Saint pedals on my road bike for a few years, savage pedals. Serious grip with the adjustable pins. Downside is they cut through my favourite pair of casual shoes...

As long as the pedal has grip and isn't just plastic or a flat metal nub then I don't see an issue.

I have double sided mountain bike pedals but the flat side has next to no grip and they're as heavy as the Saint pedals were. Apparently the newer model has pins though.

That said I'm more comfortable with clipped pedals as I never slip off in the wet or on a bumpy road. I'm more confident pushing power through especially when out of the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

No reason at all, do whatever you prefer. My preference is for clipless pedals for certain, having tried both extensively, but if you prefer flats then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Wonder is it something to do with small frame sizes and a clipless pedal not allowing your toes to be too far forward in the event they catch the front wheel when turning?

I've seen similar warnings relating to max tire sizes on some cx/gravel bikes as a clipping hazard.

That sounds plausible alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wish clipless weren't called clipless cause its causes confusion doesn't it - i mean you clip into them don't ya?

It takes more effort to cycle the same speed and or distance . I found especially on inclines.

Therefore it's a handicap . I'd rather expend less effort personally . But that's just me

For long stretches of open road, I'd prefer to be clipped in. Anything that's stop / start, not so much particularly for the likes of corners on hills, e.g. turning right here. Main one for me is mixed on and off road, where I'd be a lot more confident attempting more awkward bits of off road on flat pedals. The couple of percent efficiency I wouldn't notice personally, but I don't cycle competitively and place a lot of value on comfort.

I've tried combo flat/SPD pedals and they really are the worst of both worlds in my experience. Decent double sided platform SPDs like the M424 work fine as a flat pedal in anything but the thinnest sole shoes and don't leave you playing pedal roulette when you are clipping in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

I use spd pedals on my road bike. Handy to walk in when I get off the bike and easy to clip in and out.

I am not interested in racing either, but I noticed a real benefit once I swapped from flat pedals on long spins. It is not about pulling up on the pedal and maximising power output, it is just that you don't have to think about keeping your foot on the pedal. You may not consciously notice it but you are keeping your "up" foot on the flat pedal so it is ready to push down on the down stroke. This takes only a tiny bit less effort when clipped in. But a "tiny bit" (to use the scientific term) less effort on every pedal revolution adds up over a 3/4 hour ride to being less tired at the end of it.

Maybe that is all in my head and maybe it is just a placebo effect, but even if so - why not? It took me a few hours to get used to clipping in and more importantly to clipping out, but once that was done the benefits last forever.

But as others have suggested - you do you. I will never shave my legs, but clipless pedals are well worth it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

It's your bike. Use whatever pedals you want. Wear whatever shoes you want. Go out and enjoy your cycle, and unless you're actually falling off the bike, don't mind anyone telling you "you're doing it wrong"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im the same, Shimano XT 8000, by far my fav cycling accessory or after market addition or whatever you'd call it, they're the perfect way to give yourself the option of shooting down to the shops without having to change shoes, I tried every other well known pair before settling on them and they were all torture, like literally a flawed design that hurt your feet even the other Shimanos. Prices are flying up on them though, literally 100% increase on when I last bought a pair:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-xt-t8000-spd-trekking-pedals/rp-prod156186?gs=1&sku=sku570233&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgtWDBhDZARIsADEKwgPUVTRI2KZxppCyeWaeDNTfFFes0JrnZHuSCxR4sHojkRRUxMHuPbEaAntMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ill be trying those Decathalon rip-offs next time I think.

Cant believe that GCN video though, Ive never disagreed with them more. I wouldn't go near the Wicklow mountains without being clipped in, Id have to get off and walk just to get out of Enniskerry if I tried to do it on flats.

ARX wrote: »
    On my touring bike I have these Rose flat pedals with Salomon trail running shoes. The shoes have stiff soles compared to runners so they are comfortable for cycling all day. The pedals have cartridge bearings rather than cup & cone - there is probably about 20,000 km on them now and they are still running smoothly with hardly any play.

Excellent, I’m sure I had similar on a Raleigh Chopper in the 70’s, I’m getting a set for my road bike!

Thanks all for the varying opinions. I’ll keep an open mind on the potential benefits of clipless pedals but I’m going to give flats a try for a while. I’m struggling to get comfortable with clipless, happy enough that I won’t fall off (did that enough times many years ago), but also happy that I’m not going to slip off some good flats with decent soled shoes.

Now where did I put those GAA shorts????

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Green is Growing

There's nothing wrong with it OP. I've got shimano MTB pedals on the gravel bike. It's just more versatile for me because ill often abandon the bike and walk for a bit.

I also wear ould shítty new balance runners while cycling and just a plain black jogging tshirt. I know I'm a good cyclist and can tackle some insane hills no problem and cycle for hours.

There's so many different styles and disciplines when it comes to cycling, so do whatever works for you and feels best.
    For me pedals are probably way down the list of whats important.

But I know what you're saying regarding other cyclists. This is definitely one of the more snobby sports I participate in. Lots of sneering and fanatics galore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing wrong with flats. The only time clipless are really of benefit is climbing (with effort) or sprinting, at any other time, the difference is negligible if it even exists at all.

Flats just look sh1t unless its a BMX or MTB but once you get over that hurdle, they are grand.

cletus wrote: »
    It's your bike. Use whatever pedals you want. Wear whatever shoes you want. Go out and enjoy your cycle, and unless you're actually falling off the bike, don't mind anyone telling you "you're doing it wrong"
    this man speaks the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with flats. The only time clipless are really of benefit is climbing (with effort) or sprinting, at any other time, the difference is negligible if it even exists at all.

Flats just look sh1t unless its a BMX or MTB but once you get over that hurdle, they are grand.

I have clipless on all my bikes, and on the rare occasion I use flats I find that cycling in the rain kind of sucks with them. Not having to put in any effort to make sure your feet don't slip off a flat pedal is a big plus in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

There’s certainly nothing wrong with flats and if you’ve been commuting on road bikes for 25 years as mentioned, then you certainly should have a good idea what works well for you. Clearly whatever works for you can’t be wrong. As a few have alluded to, flats are better for commuting in many people’s opinion. I find I’m a safer cyclist commuting with flats as I don’t try to avoid clipping out/putting foot down.

I think though your question is more akin to “why do ‘road biking enthusiasts’ (leaving racing out completely) almost all use clipless pedals and why do some of them think it’s wrong to use flats”. If that’s the question then I think for the first part it’s likely that most will tell you it’s more comfortable and/or easier to apply consistent power over long distances with clipless pedals. My own view is that the fixed position is supportive and with the right set-up over time it facilitates you to build muscles needed for long distance endurance in your legs. The rigidity helps with the specialisation.

For the second part of the question, why do some think flats are wrong, I think it’s a mixture of just going along with the accepted wisdom that clipless are better over long distances and also (but more rarely in my limited experience) the snobbery about “the rules” etc. For the last group it’s best to just ignore them. Almost nobody takes this seriously and if they do it’s not your issue.

Still though, don’t be surprised if your choice would raise some eyebrows on a group ride (much like it would if you choose to wear those gaa shorts!) but almost nobody really cares so long as you are keeping pace safely.

What I do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Recently bought a decent road bike as I enjoy short high intensity climbs of the hills in my locality(Up around viewpoint in South Dublin). I'd previously been doing this with a steel frame Surly cyclocross bike and I find it tough to get up to the top without stopping a couple of times. Anyway I've never used clipless pedals/shoes so I toyed with the idea of finally getting them. The bike shop fitted flat pedals for free when giving me the bike so while I was still thinking over clipless pedals/shoes I have done a few big spins with the flats. It's been several weeks now and I think I'm just going to stick with the flats. I'm not looking to get a KOM or cover long distances in as short amount of time as possible, I just enjoy cycling for fitness/weight loss so if flat pedals mean more effort then I guess that's a good thing for me. Who knows, I may still get them in future and realise what I've been missing out on all this time

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I started using spd last year as I bought a decent bike, defy advanced 2 2020.
    I'd never go back to runners. It's better for your legs, hips etc, more power and you feel part of the bike.

I have double sided spds. I fixed the bike the other day and took it around the estate in runners. When I was coming around the corner, I put power into the bike and my foot slipped on the pedal with my runners and I nearly snapped my ankle, never again.

Anyone in runners still should give the spds a go. I can get off the bike and walk anywhere too which is good as my cycling shoes are as comfy as runners either way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement