Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s wrong with flat pedals on a road bike?

• 12-04-2021 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I know this topic reoccurs every few years but I’m wondering if current thinking has changed.

What is “wrong” with flat pedals on a road bike?

I’m not going to race, ever. And couldn’t care less about it looking weird/wrong/uncool etc.

I have no interest in pulling up on the pedal, it’s not something I’m likely to learn (or need to) after 25 years of commuting on flat bar hybrids and road bikes. I’m not convinced clipless pedals are more efficient unless you’re an elite cyclist, I’ve read arguments for and against.

So, flats with pins and decent grippy soled shoes? Any reason not to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Why not.

If its what you want go for it.

There are no rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There are no rules.
    *ahem*

https://www.velominati.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Why not.

If its what you want go for it.

There are no rules.

Well that’s what I thought until I mentioned it in company and the harassment started, just as well I’m thick skinned!

endacl wrote: »

Haha, they sound like great crack :)

quenching wrote: »
    Well that’s what I thought until I mentioned it in company and the harassment started, just as well I’m thick skinned!

Just have some tap dancing music ready on your phone for the moment they get off their bike and clip clop around :)

• Advertisement

I ride studded mtb flats on my road bike these days. A few others here do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Open toe clips with no straps are a good compromise, giving you ability to push forward and no issues clipping in and out.

endacl wrote: »

This gets thrown at me regularly, I’ve lost track of my long list of infringements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I got as far as #23...

For more on riding fast downhill see Rule #64 and Rule #85.

Enfilade wrote: »

As have I on my commuter hybrid and have never slipped a foot off a pedal, ut I’ve been harangued into clipless on the road bike. I’m swapping them over for the next spin. Might wear baggy shorts too...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Enfilade wrote: »

Same here on my main bike which is a cx. Was on SPDs for years but prefer the studded flats for mixed road and light off road. Still getting PBs on strava regularly so hasn't affected speed and no issues slipping off pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

smacl wrote: »
    Same here on my main bike which is a cx. Was on SPDs for years but prefer the studded flats for mixed road and light off road. Still getting PBs on strava regularly so hasn't affected speed and no issues slipping off pedals.

Yeah, but all those PB times are *not clipped in asterixed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I have flat pedals on one of my road bikes. I took the clip ones off for commuting. Easier to hop on and off at shops etc.

My gravel bike has double sided pedals for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Regret not having flats on the gravel bike after a few rustiness (and being lazy about tyre pressure) caused comedy falls at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I know this topic reoccurs every few years but I’m wondering if current thinking has changed.

I’m not going to race, ever. And couldn’t care less about it looking weird/wrong/uncool etc.

I have no interest in pulling up on the pedal, it’s not something I’m likely to learn (or need to) after 25 years of commuting on flat bar hybrids and road bikes. I’m not convinced clipless pedals are more efficient unless you’re an elite cyclist, I’ve read arguments for and against.

Apart from not looking pro, while you're not, nothing. What's more, poorly fitter clipless might be harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why bother with the road bike at all then OP as you said your not racing or anything just out for the jaunt.

Genuine question what's the point in having that bike at all. Why not just get a commuter or some hybrid variant.

If someone wants to handicap themselves with flat pedals on a roadbike sure knock yourself out but realise that it does lose you power and create more effort . That's just the facts.

It's no some rage against rules or anything you are just putting more effort on yourself.

Open toe clips with no straps are a good compromise, giving you ability to push forward and no issues clipping in and out.

This matters only in sprinting. Medium term performance is not affected at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

You may need narrow shoes. Chainstays on a road bike are comparatively short, so shoes with wide soles (like runners) may hit the chainstays.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

listermint wrote: »
    Why bother with the road bike at all then OP as you said your not racing or anything just out for the jaunt.

Genuine question what's the point in having that bike at all. Why not just get a commuter or some hybrid variant.

If someone wants to handicap themselves with flat pedals on a roadbike sure knock yourself out but realise that it does lose you power and create more effort . That's just the facts.

It's no some rage against rules or anything you are just putting more effort on yourself.

Looking at the following GCN clip, it doesn't seem that clear cut

Road bikes have a load of advantages over hybrids beyond the pedals, e/g/ personally I wouldn't be without drop bars for any long spin given the option. Setting up a road bike for whatever style of cycling you're into is entirely reasonable IMHO. I think saying not being clipped in is a handicap is a bit of an exaggeration at best for many leisure cyclists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

listermint wrote: »
    this has no bearing whatsoever on what sort of bike the OP chooses to ride.
    there are many other reasons (s)he might choose a road bike which don't encompass pedal choice or power output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was out for a spin on my mountain bike recently and on the on-road sections I was surprised at how little difference there was in my average speed compared to my road bike, despite flat pedals, big knobbly tyres, front suspension and the non-aero ride position (the bike is 3kg heavier too).

Having said that, I definitely "feel" the benefit of being clipped in when climbing and being able to push forward and pull up on the pedals. Whether it's any faster, I don't know or really care that much. The downside is I'm always slightly worried about falling over if I fail to unclip, particularly on very steep sections where if you're not pedalling, you stop dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I don't think I'd go so far as to say you need to be an elite cyclist to feel a benefit from clipless. I generally ride at anywhere from 25-40kph so I'm from from a highly trained roadbiker, but when I went clipless about 3 yrs ago I felt it easier straight away to put down power and I got a little bit faster.

Having said that, if you don't feel the need for them, then there's no reason to have them. They are a bit annoying if you just want to breeze down to the shops and back in your regular shoes. I use double sided ones so I can clip in when I want, and I can just use the flat side when I'm on a relaxing spin out and about with Mrs D and the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've an uncle who bought the pedals (Look) but refused to buy the shoes. He does a lot of cycling, including many sportive and does the Ring of Kerry every year... in Look pedals... and runners....:eek:

I've tried. He simply will not be told:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

smacl wrote: »
    Looking at the following GCN clip, it doesn't seem that clear cut

Road bikes have a load of advantages over hybrids beyond the pedals, e/g/ personally I wouldn't be without drop bars for any long spin given the option. Setting up a road bike for whatever style of cycling you're into is entirely reasonable IMHO. I think saying not being clipped in is a handicap is a bit of an exaggeration at best for many leisure cyclists.

It takes more effort to cycle the same speed and or distance . I found especially on inclines.

Therefore it's a handicap . I'd rather expend less effort personally . But that's just me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hang on OP, you want to wear runners while out cycling on a road bike :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My commuter has flat SPD pedals. Easy for clipping in and out commuting and I can walk around in the shoes. Plenty of people use these for leisure cycling as well.

"proper" cycling shoes tend to be stiffer. So for a longer ride, you might have more comfort from a SPD-SL / Look type pedal with corresponding "proper" cycling shoes.

I've been through a wide variety of pedal types (and bikes!). Initially on my road bike I used the regular type clipless ones, these annoyed me with the clip clopping around when not on the bike. Then I started using the recessed mountain bike style as below, which has a flat side too for best of both worlds.

Shimano-A530-SPD-Touring-Clipless-Pedals_15541_1_SuperSize.jpg

I found these great, and they remain on my road bike.

However I have a nice touring bike now and I use that mostly (well I will be having my first ride today in over 6 months cause of Covid), I have a wide platform mtb pedal, as below. To be honest, I have not found a big difference between being clipped in or using this type of pedal, I have never slipped off them, and on long rides on my touring bike they are far more comfortable and practical.

aHR0cHM6Ly9pbWFnZXMucm9zZWJpa2VzLmRlL2dldF9pbWFnZS8_dD1FRDEwMzVGMDdGRTc1NjU3NkM4RjA3RkEzOERGMEI1RQ.webp

I would say to go with whatever you like unless in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sure maybe throw on a pair of GAA shorts while you're at it :pac:

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Sure maybe throw on a pair of GAA shorts while you're at it :pac:

Take that smirk of your face, it went out of fashion years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

On my touring bike I have these Rose flat pedals with Salomon trail running shoes. The shoes have stiff soles compared to runners so they are comfortable for cycling all day. The pedals have cartridge bearings rather than cup & cone - there is probably about 20,000 km on them now and they are still running smoothly with hardly any play.

Advertisement