Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Assistant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just reading a bit more about the nextion displays, where did you get it? Amazon? They look interesting as a control interface.

They take an SD card which is formatted with the used-designed layout then receive a UART in to input the values and text for each of the predefined elements. Pretty cool. Might look into obtaining one as a way of getting the kids to stop turning on the boiler to heat water when it already there and waiting. feckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭JayBee66

On a related note, for the Solcast integration my HA outputs "Today", "Tomorrow" and "The Day After". How would the code above be altered to yield new day labels for the three PV forecasts?

On a Nextion?

You would have to import the equivalent sensor (such as sensor.energy_production_tomorrow_2 which I have for the basic Forecast.Solar integration) over the to Nextion. You import them onto the ESP32 like so, for example:

sensor:
      - platform: homeassistant
        id: office_temperature
        entity_id: sensor.tsr_ah_kitchenlower_air_temperature
      - platform: homeassistant
        id: downstairs_trv_temp_median
        entity_id: sensor.downstairs_trv_temp_median

Then work them into whatever layout (via suitable printf statements) you composed on the Nextion via the editor mentioned on the esphome page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

Is a Ring subscription still needed to access your cameras in Home Assistant.

Just got notice they are upping the sub price by a dollar per cam.

Just started a long overdue process to setup Frigate and install some other cameras around. Plan on replacing my Ring doorbell and a floodlight cam, find there is an awful lag in detecting movement and the notification.

If the sub isn't needed, I'd move the floodlight cam to a less important area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've never had a sub and have full access to mine in HA using the Ring-MQTT addon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭poker--addict

My gate opening via phone entering a zone near my home has stopped working. I am not sure where to start with a fix?

😎

Using the newer proximity features? Did you set it up as an automation? If so go into the automation and click "edit in YAML" and then post the text here.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

After quite a while using Lidl gateway with their plugs and bulbs I have finally gotten around to setting up HA, all I had on the Lidl setup has been transferred over and is working as it should. Happy with it all so far and excited by the new possibilities it will allow for. Was getting really fed up of each time Lidl smart gear was in store it was, the gateway, the plugs and the bulbs again and again.

So this might be considered a heads up, another newbie that might have questions has joined! :-)

I have a couple of the Lidl smart plugs, strips and led strips. Can't fault them at all.

Them and IKEA are a great source of cheap kit without shopping in China, but I have found some of the their stuff temperamental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

I agree, had no issue with the Lidl stuff, just wanted access to other items, motion sensor, switches etc. If the were released here I might not have jumped. Picked up a few smart tech stuff on clearance in woodies a few months back, had had ordered a few items from Amazon, all ZigBee, but none would work with the Lidl gateway, unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks - using a motion sensor to check for postbox opening.. so i know to check for deliveries if im out etc.. was thinking could turn on a hue light to a certain colour or something to notify post has been delivered? I've no problem setting up HA automations just trying to think of a sensible thing to do - can you send an email from HA handy enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

You could set up a push notification to your phone. I have a few automations that notify me that way.

thanks yeah thats all i need really. it would push to the home assistant app?

got that working with a hue motion sensor and automation in ha.. works a charm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Shoog

I have an issue which is going to turn into a life sucker.

I recently accepted a set up Home Assistant updates and this included the ESPHome plugin. All my devices on ESPHome upgraded and then I noticed that one of them had broken. What seems to have happened is the update changed the name of the device to something entirely random and then promptly stopped talking to the device. The update seems to have made the device drop off the network as well so I thought the best way to get it back was to reflash the Firmware and this worked in getting it back on the network - but nothing appeared in the ESPHome addon. I suspect this is an issue with it having generated a new API for the device in the random assigned update. I had a similar experience before and I had to use the ESPHome website to recover the device - but I can no longer remember the procedure.

UPDATE: I have now managed to get it to appear in the ESPHome addon - but it wont configure because the API doesn't seem to match (the API is in the YAML file but its not using it). As I said before I suspect this is because once HomeAssistant has associated a MAC address with an API it will not allow the API to change and will never forget that API going forward.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Not an ESPHone user, but have a snoop/grep around /config/.storage - there might be some references to the old devices/MAC addresses there.

Final getting time to check why my gate automation is not working. Any help?

id: '1694451677077'
    alias: Gate Triggered by entering 300m zone
    description: ''
    trigger:

• platform: zone
      entity_id: person.FIRSTNAME_SECONDNAME
      zone: zone.approaching_home_300m
      event: enter
    • platform: zone
      entity_id: person.FIRSTNAME_SECONDNAME
      event: enter
    • platform: device
      device_id: f37cfbace46812aa9b4f768e5c95er78e
      domain: device_tracker
      entity_id: 9bdf029d01386b1adaa6b64f999e0b6b
      type: enters
    • platform: device
      device_id: b81f54e1a77c3eedd3cf1d0b36605f7e
      entity_id: 3f8ed3b29b4ecf62002da2eff5fb8622
      type: enters
      condition: []
      action:
    • device_id: 0bb4fba9e328ab3175225d08df63c2c8
      domain: cover
      entity_id: 2200e482835d7893bd5adcf23f039402
      type: open
      type: close
      mode: single
    • id: '1694674515839'
      alias: 'P brake release, gate open '
      description: ''
      trigger:
      • platform: state
        entity_id:
        • binary_sensor.model_y_ma_parking_brake
          to: 'off'
          for:
          hours: 0
          minutes: 0
          seconds: 1
          attribute: attribution
          condition:
      • condition: device
        device_id: 7c604d9f43bdf8e56d946f25a1d714cf
        entity_id: 6f87162d9da4529b9696e9f77add4c45
        type: is_home
        action:
        type: open
        type: close

This was working but stopped after HA stopped after an extended powercut (IP changed i think)

Would device IDs or similar have changed during same powercut?

😎

Are you using a VPN to connect your mobile into the home WiFi network or how is the connectivity happening between the mobile and the server? Or do you just have the HA cloud enabled?

I have a setup with cloudfare tunnel. Would not be expert in this setup - followed instructions.

😎

• Advertisement

And is that tunnel still connecting? Do the sensors for the devices / people show that they are being detected at the gate? And then the same for that parking brake sensor.

hi yes, in the logs I can see phone detected, parking brake detected etc at the correct times

😎

Then you probably need to look at the traces for the automation to work out what's going wrong.

https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/automation/troubleshooting/

Configuration warningsInvalid config for 'proximity' at configuration.yaml, line 41: value must be one of [<UnitOfLength.FEET: 'ft'>, <UnitOfLength.KILOMETERS: 'km'>, <UnitOfLength.METERS: 'm'>, <UnitOfLength.MILES: 'mi'>, <UnitOfLength.YARDS: 'yd'>] for dictionary value 'proximity->homezone_1km->unit_of_measurement', got 'km on'

😎

Seems there has been some changes impacting units, and a new integration for proximity too. https://community.home-assistant.io/t/proximity-sensors-2024-not-working/708763

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭andydurnin

Just got my home assistant green about 1 week ago. What would be the best things to do with it when starting out with it?

Start with your lights and any smart switches you have. They are as straightforward to setup as they get (for the majority of manufacturer's anyways). Once you get your head around those, then start adding other sensors and devices.

Then start thinking as to what automations you want for your house, this part is, for me, the toughest part as I can never decide on what rules I want to apply, and often change some of them.

As you start adding devices, have a think as to your layout and how you want them all to display on your phone/ tablet. Check out Everything Smarthome on YouTube, he has a few videos reviewing some fantastic looking dashboards, some insanely complex but many are achievable for a beginner.

Finally find out how to backup and restore your setup, and do it regularly, esp after adding a load of devices or automations. Mistakes are quite easy to make at the start, or even after a few years😬, so you will be so glad of having a recent backup saved to your laptop that you can easily restore if you F up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

For anyone woken unexpectedly this morning by an alarm...

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/118688

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jackod20

Hello folks,

Just wondering if anyone have any integrations or add-ons for sport such as GAA,Hurling,Football,rugby to display scores,upcoming matches etc etc

Also wondering if there are any Ireland specific addons? RTÉ, Met Eireann, etc etc

Does anyone have GTFS-R working for Ireland for realtime information?

I have HACS so no issues with custom repos

The problem is support - there aren't many out there coding add-ons so development-wise a lot of that stuff tends to be in limbo. I dont bother with regional stuff like that and just focus on mainstream stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

There is one for Met Eireann, and it works very well. That's the only local one I know of. Other Irish organisations don't seem to ever bother offering an API.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jackod20

It is a real shame as other countries such as the UK, France, Netherlands and Norway have API's galore with tons of addons, features, power monitoring and more readily available whilst here, the TfI API doesnt seem to give realtime information from all the testing, configuring, some more configuring and still cant get it to work, i think i am **** out of luck so.

Ordered most of my smart home sensors and lightbulbs from Aliexpress and mostly use Aqara stuff as it works perfectly, I don't mind the longer wait time compared to Amazon.de as Aliexpress is much cheaper. Next goal is to get the 8 Cat5 drops put into the house, was quoted about 800e just for the cable install, will have to buy all the wall plates, terminators and more so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭championc

Is there a reason for CallMeBot not to work from within HA ? I cannot for the life of me get it to work 🙄

Hi ya, did you get that to work? I was looking at it, wondering if it's worth signing up for?

I have it working outside of HA, just not from inside it

I setup a standard HA notification and a CaklMeBot. The HA notification arrives, but I never get the CaklMeBot.

There are tutorials online which I have followed, and which appeared to be working, but nothing ever arrived to my phone

You might have more success with Whatsapper. I haven't used it myself but it basically uses the WhatsApp Web APIs to send messages. I think there is a corresponding integration in HACS to expose it as a notify service.

https://github.com/alexbelgium/hassio-addons/tree/master/whatsapper

But that would send messages from my account to others. CallMeBot sends from them to me.

• Advertisement

Ah right. How come you can't just use the HA App for notifications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just wondering if anyonce can help as to why this automation did not run and what I did wrong in setting it up.

alias: Discharge Battery
    description: ""
    trigger: platform: time
    at: input_datetime.saturday_discharge
    condition:condition: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.solarman_battery_soc
    above: 30
    action:service: script.solis_test
    data: {}

I created a helper for it to run every Saturday at 8am.

I see nothing in the logs it did not appear to run at all but will run manually.

Any help would be appreciated.

input_datetime.saturday_discharge has both a date and a time component. The date looks to be in the past as well, so that will never trigger.

Perhaps change the helper to a time only helper, and add a condition that the day of the week must be a Saturday?

Thanks Jonathan

Just got a chance to look at it again and forgot I was using the simple scheduler addon so just added a task at 8am Saturday to enable discharge by calling the script to change from self use to time of use.

service: script.appdaemon_passthrough
    data:
    action: inverter_write_holding_register
    register_addr: "{{ 43110 }}"
    register_value: "{{ 35 }}"

I have the charge and discharge times set on the inverter.

Then I created an automation to avoid the batteries completely running out before 9am before I can charge from the grid free of charge.

alias: Disable Discharge 15%
    description: ""
    trigger: type: battery_level
    platform: device
    device_id: 1f5534720341be55385dd8ea5d660601
    entity_id: 631a521c23d7f4377dc76a5b88b7e411
    domain: sensor
    below: 15
    for:
    hours: 0
    minutes: 0
    seconds: 10
    condition: []
    action:service: script.solis_disable_grid_charging
    data: {}

Good stuff. I haven't used Simple Scheduler, but I do use the Scheduler integration for setting up "disposable" tasks/reminders (it has an option to delete after executing). That whole area could do with improving in HA IMHO.

It really could. I had completely forgot I had setup Simple Scheduler well over a year ago when I could not figure out how to create a schedule based on a day and time.

It was only when I went digging again after your reply I realised how the other Saturday tasks ran without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭mjatkey

Guys, I'm finally starting to take on HA and am adding my smart devices and recent solar inverter to it so far so good. Currently only using API info for the Solis inverter need to do a bit more reading and video watching before I go down the direct control route.

Quick question some of my Tuya devices only show limited or no info (entities) although phone Tuya APP shows much more info, for instance this is an energy monitor device but in HA I only see two sensors which when I click into either I get entity unavailable.

I've tried all forms of Tuya on HA, Local, extended and normal with no real joy, I have the Tuya developer account set up and can see the devices within that, is it just that they are "fake" Tuya devices and I'll never be able to fully integrate them ito HA, its not a biggy as I can run scences on the phone APP any way?

Thanks

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

I have a few Tuya devices setup and working in HA. It was clunky to setup and every 6 months I need to request a trial extension for the API's.

https://developer.tuya.com/en/docs/iot/Home-assistant-tuya-intergration?id=Kb0eqjig0utdd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭mjatkey

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I'm bland new to home assistant. I have it running on a VM on windows. So far so good. I have built a few dashboards.

I am thinking of getting a HA Green. Does anyone have experience ordering or using the Green?

havent used green but i bought a dell micro pc to use last year. Lots of power and no issues. Big step up from pi hardware

• Advertisement
Advertisement