Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

rsh118 wrote: »
    It seriously cannot be said enough, for anything over 2 hours get the Bose Noise Cancelling headphones. I've the QC25s and I will NEVER be able to fly without them again. It's like being able to switch the engine noise on and off. Incredible.
    ive no problems just using regular in the ear earphones in blocking out background noise.

but on the app thing, if your airline does it right, like Lufthansa, you dont even need an app. You just click a link on the chick page or confirmation email to download the boarding pass into the inbuilt Apple Wallet or whetever the android equivalent is. Couldnt be easier.

My own unwritten rule.....

Aisle seat has the extra room towards the middle of the plane
    Window seat has the window / 'wall' to lean against......therefore....
    Middle seat gets two armrests.

Also, PMT - Passport, Money, Tickets.....in order of importance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

When in Dublin Airport heading to the States, and your in Wrights of Howth buying the rashers, sausages & pudding to bring stateside, At the till they'll ask to see your boarding card, and if you are U.S.A. bound, they can't sell you the good stuff.

Tell them your OH has your boarding card, she's on her way down to the gate, and that your on flight EI (any EU/UK flight number leaving at roughly the same time, that you'll have previously scouted) to Birmingham/Amsterdam/Kerry.

Give them an old wink & a nod, they'll do their magic and you've got breakfast for the next few days!!

Don't do this. You will be caught and possibly fined, even if it's just a harmless ham sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

faceman wrote: »
    Don't do this. You will be caught and possibly fined, even if it's just a harmless ham sandwich.

Too true. I think the only reason they let me off was that I actually wrote on the form that I had the sausage! "What do I have that isn't permissible", I asked. "Oh, the sausages? Can you tell me why they're not OK?" They told me. "May we throw this away", they asked, and I hastened to say, "oh, yes, I had no idea, I'm so sorry". Basically they could tell I was horrified and had no intention of violating any laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

rsh118 wrote:
    Didn't pay for an exit row? Flight not too packed? Move as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off. I spent 12/14 hours to Rio sat in a lovely exit row, legs straight, headphones on, happy as Larry.

Flights need to have exit rows occupied too. So cabin crew will look for people to fill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

When in Dublin Airport heading to the States, and your in Wrights of Howth buying the rashers, sausages & pudding to bring stateside, At the till they'll ask to see your boarding card, and if you are U.S.A. bound, they can't sell you the good stuff.

Tell them your OH has your boarding card, she's on her way down to the gate, and that your on flight EI (any EU/UK flight number leaving at roughly the same time, that you'll have previously scouted) to Birmingham/Amsterdam/Kerry.

Give them an old wink & a nod, they'll do their magic and you've got breakfast for the next few days!!

Forgetting about the nod & wink stuff, why would anyone want to bring food with them to the US? Can you not go a few days with sausages? They hav literally hundreds and thousands of thing to try for breakfast. you're on holiday, live a little

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Dodge wrote: »
    Forgetting about the nod & wink stuff, why would anyone want to bring food with them to the US? Can you not go a few days with sausages? They hav literally hundreds and thousands of thing to try for breakfast. you're on holiday, live a little

Never underestimate the desperation of long-term expats wanting a "taste of home". My husband literally learned to make his own rashers and sausages while he was living with me in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I actually like getting my bag taken off me and put in the hold. In fact, I bank on it now! Most airports are quick and the bag is waiting for me once i walk there (which is generally on the way out anyway) Just keep a small bag with books, music, snacks etc with me.

Much more comfortable IMO

It's really handy. If you fly
    with Ryanair and have a bag to check in anyway, ask to can you put your hand luggage in the hold while checking in the bigger bag. I've done this the last 5 or 6 times no trouble. Fly through security, wander around the shops and have food without having to lug a bag around.

Just get the essentials out first in a small carrier bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Mr.S wrote: »
    You just need a smartphone, download the airline's app (eg Ryanair) and just follow the on screen instructions, its basically like checking in online, but you do it on your phone, and instead of printing a boarding pass, your pass is generated on your phone which still gets scanned :)

Very handy

does it work for multiple tickets that were bought by the same person? literally can the buyer with 1 phone let many people in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

Turtle_ wrote: »
    The seats recline because the airline are bringing you from A to B in reasonable comfort, not to provide you with a mobile office. Personally I find it horrendously uncomfortable to keep the seat fully upright for any length of time. Business class is designed exactly for people who want to work whilst travelling - more legroom and office type facilities to allow you to work, and comfortable seats so that you can rest if you need to and go straight to work when you arrive.

I'm not going to put myself through discomfort on a long haul flight just so you can work.

well I was going to reply with something like that, but I though i'll get into a debate over holidays vs. work. I feel the same way - I am usually going on holidays, I like to relax etc. I need to recline a bit.

I will say my pet bug bear is when the person behinds you hangs off the top of your seat to haul themselves up. I nearly suffered whip lash one time and I called the person behind me on it. he told me he couldn't get by my reclined seat. He proceeded to use my headrest as a grab rail for the rest of the flight and on the 4th count I told him I would report him asap. there's no easy answer, he was fat, I was tired (and I have stress fractures in my back) it was a 9 hour flight.

I solved it myself - I usually fly stand by as my partner works in an airline - but I hadn't that time. the air hostess gave me a seat up in 1st class. I could hear him complaining all the way up the aisle. demanding an upgrade etc. I chuckle to myself - employees look after employees

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

At the security scanners, a massive queue of single men or business travellers will be much quicker than a small group of old folk/families/women/spanish students etc.
    *awaits sexism accusations* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

benjamin d wrote: »
    At the security scanners, a massive queue of single men or business travellers will be much quicker than a small group of old folk/families/women/spanish students etc.
    *awaits sexism accusations* :P

100% agree with you. and i'm a woman.

avoid at all costs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Dodge wrote: »

Yeah, try telling my sister I'm coming over but not bringing Supervalu (nee Quinn) fresh dread as well as superquinn sausages.

I got caught the very first time I went to America, and since then have been about 10-15 times and brought sausages/bread/King Crisps with me every time! Sometimes checked, sometimes in carry on, sometimes both!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Yeah, try telling my sister I'm coming over but not bringing Supervalu (nee Quinn) fresh dread as well as superquinn sausages.

Mmmm...love the smell of fresh dread in the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

There should be reclining law. Flight under 2 hours? No need to recline!

Over 2 or at night, recline after your meal. I'll happily at this stage after too many crushed meals on 14 hour flights, hang over the front of the seat and tell the langer in front to please unrecline while then lean over their meal

Refusal? Now quite happy to ding the cabin crew and explain very politely. Definitely you will always get what you need if you are polite and willing to speak to those in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

By design, you are in an airport for a ridiculously long time prior to flight - and its almost impossible not to spend, be it on a couple of pints, or some grub, or whatever. The DAA have an Executive Lounge where you can stay for up to 3 hours (regardless of ticket or airline), have a couple of glasses of wine/beer/whiskey etc, have soup and cheese and biscuits, complimentary newspapers, tea/coffee etc etc. All this in a comfortable, quiet lounge. It cost €20, and I think its fantastic value. (I think you're 'restricted' to 2 drinks, but I say some people pinning the g&ts).

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Take my word for it, I was in it 3 weeks ago, and herself an I just about finished a bottle of wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I was not aware the DAA lounge did alcohol.

They absolutely do. Don't abuse it but you can easily and discreetly have more than two drinks if you want them. Be warned, the spirit dispenser refills really really slowly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah it does alcohol. It's in my opinion a slightly better option then the Aer Lingus lounge. Although that would not be hard in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

An easy one to remember. Water, drink loads of the stuff. I fly with Delta a lot and they give you bottles of the stuff. Hate having to ask for another little cup, not enough to keep fresh and hydrated on a 7 hr flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

faceman wrote: »

But it's part of our culture !

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

One of the reasons I actually really like Ryanair is because of their non-reclining seats:)
    And speaking of seats, try and sit still in yours as no one likes a shuffler, especially on aircraft seats where the pop-up tables are attached to the back of them. You don't want to be responsible for causing a spillage for the passenger sitting right behind you:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Not really a tip
    but a little thing from my perspective
    if you do want to recline your chair
    at least make sure the person behind you is not 6ft + in height
    I'm 6ft 5 and my knees do be already squeezed against the seat as is, as soon as someone reclines, it actually hurts my knees and staying in that position for long haul flights can do damage.

Most people infront who recline I always try to switch seats if possible with a family member or even try to buy an emergency seat for the extra room.
    But when thats all impossible I have no choice but to ask you to put your seat back to the proper position.
    Never had a problem from people who I asked and I always said sorry for the inconvience, but their was one prat who told me to f off, had to call the stewardess down and see if I could move, she couldn't move me and had to ask him to fix his seat to the proper position, he got quite rowdy over it and was embarrassing for me and most likely for him.
    If anything they need to remove the reclined feature from short haul flights
    and for long haul flights at least accomodate the seats for people who are above 6ft, its not like being 6ft nowadays is something amazing and you only see once.

Which reminds me
    Anyone have any idea what british airways seats are like? off topic i know maybe you could pm me, im going to vegas in september through them and I need to know whether to book an emergency seat or not ha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'm also with the people in the camp of liking the Ryanair philosophy of non reclining seats. Ok they most likely do it to cut down on costs..firstly the price of the seats to buy with that feature and secondly the associated maintenance over the years ie. on the recline mechanism and replacement parts.. Whatever way you look at it most airline seats when reclined provide in theory the person in that seat with more room and comfort (not sure myself, see below) and the person behind them with less room and discomfort. Kind of a weird trade off. As regards the recline itself I never do it. I just find that the seats in the general recline position put you at an unnatural angle, not lying back and not sitting up and to me personally it's not all that comfortable or natural a feeling.

Since the thread is about tips and what not... if you must recline your seat please do it slowly & gently. i paid 4.50 for that tiny can of Heineken, not to be worn on my jeans ! Also I dislike the whole grabbing the headrest of my seat to hoist your fat ass up out of yours :P

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Honestly, hanging is too good for anyone who reclines on a 1 hour flight. Speaking as a tall person that is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

First Up wrote: »
    If you want to increase the chances of having an empty seat beside you, book Row 13. For some reason. a lot of people seem to think that they are more at risk of crashing - or not surviving a crash - in that row than anywhere else.

Yes it's true. There have been many incidents where only Row 13 crashed but the rest of the aircraft was unaffected. It's the same as Business Class arrives an hour earlier than Economy on long haul flights.

ive no problems just using regular in the ear earphones in blocking out background noise.

I have had the bud type earphones which also had noise cancelling. It makes a huge difference.

The headphones supplied in Business are usually noise cancelling.

Do not smuggle food. There are reasons why it's not allowed. Some things can be taken if you check. I brought some Dulse back to Australia. It had to be commercially packed in sealed bags. I declared it and had it inspected. They passed it after looking it up on the system. If they had said it had to be destroyed that was the risk I took.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

2Mad2BeMad wrote:
    Which reminds me Anyone have any idea what british airways seats are like? off topic i know maybe you could pm me, im going to vegas in september through them and I need to know whether to book an emergency seat or not ha

Look at netflights.com.

Advertisement