Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

America's Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On that last start, why didn't Oracle just push the others off the start mark? Or is that not allowed? Seems like they had the perfect angle to do it :confused:

Are there any actual Americans on the USA team :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    On that last start, why didn't Oracle just push the others off the start mark? Or is that not allowed? Seems like they had the perfect angle to do it :confused:

Too much apparent wind to head up maybe?

Oooh, I got into all sorts of trouble recently doing my YM exam for using the expression "right of way". Tut tut. No boat has "right of way" - well, according to my examiner anyway, and who was I to argue with him :D - my defence was that it was racing talk - he's a pure cruiser.

Right, back to the racing :D

Ye Gods - the acceleration :eek:

• Advertisement

Oooh, I got into all sorts of trouble recently doing my YM exam for using the expression "right of way". Tut tut. No boat has "right of way" - well, according to my examiner anyway, and who was I to argue with him :D - my defence was that it was racing talk - he's a pure cruiser.

Right, back to the racing :D

haha yea, spend too much time on the YM stuff and you have to be careful not to spout it while racing. Doing the practical exam?

Back on topic: Come on NZ, put this to bed!!!! ARGH

At this rate oracle will keep the cup!

haha yea, spend too much time on the YM stuff and you have to be careful not to spout it while racing. Doing the practical exam?

Back on topic: Come on NZ, put this to bed!!!! ARGH

Yep, did (and got - hurray!!!) the offshore practical :)

The poor grinders, doing all the hard work, aren't getting much credit from the commentators!

The poor grinders, doing all the hard work, aren't getting much credit from the commentators!

Yeah... All the hard work and by the sounds of it.. A little extra curricular work?! :eek: :D :P

• Advertisement

Kenny Read being asked which boat he'd want to be on if he wanted to win...

I'm not sure which one I'd want to be on if I'm honest! Probably OTUSA.. They're doing the hard graft getting out practicing and it's working, they're faster and slicker on the water consistently.

Kenny Read being asked which boat he'd want to be on if he wanted to win...

I'm not sure which one I'd want to be on if I'm honest! Probably OTUSA.. They're doing the hard graft getting out practicing and it's working, they're faster and slicker on the water consistently.

What's with the Kiwis not practicing??? The mind boggles.... you're the at the tippy top end of your game, with millions (billions?) of dollars' worth of boat at your disposal, and you decide to have a lie-in rather than practice starts :confused:

Why is the wind limit changed from 20 to 23.3?

Jesus, are the Kiwis TRYING to throw it away :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,394 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Repeat of what NZL did in the last race, really didn't work for them at all, should have closed up a bit further when they had the speed

Not complaining though, great 2 races today and more racing to look forward to

Why is the wind limit changed from 20 to 23.3?

something to do with the tidal flows, i think - read that somewhere today

It's like watching the Annalise Murphy race all over again. If it didn't work the last couple of times... STOP doing it. ARGH.

Well, that ties up tomorrow evening :-o

Awww crap, just realised I'll be working tomorrow evening :eek:

If I can resist (or avoid) seeing results, I presume the races are available as replays?

Think so, they all seem to be there in the youtube channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So we get into the murky world of the team who won the most races losing if OR can pick up 2 more wins but not close it out, that's a messy one.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    So we get into the murky world of the team who won the most races losing if OR can pick up 2 more wins but not close it out, that's a messy one.

It'd hurt alright, but it wouldn't be unfair or murky.

They cheated - they were penalized. If they are first to 9 wins on the water but lose the cup because of cheating, well, that just crystalizes the punishment. Teams (and their members) might think twice in future cups when looking back on that. Do they want to be responsible for their team losing despite winning more races...?

ETNZ have port entry on 3 of the last 4 races, including todays 2, going to make it hard for Spithill to win the start, is OR fast enough to make a pass?

Inquitus wrote: »
    is OR fast enough to make a pass?

They seem to be. Looking at the stats from yesterdays races they were faster all over the course. NZ really need to exploit any lead they get or mistakes OR make.

I got home in time for it! (only to find it delayed, of course!)

What's all this port entry business about? Sorry but I'm still playing catch-up on all the rules, I'm sure all this was explained at the start of the series! I get what actually happens, but how is it decided who does what entry?

I felt so sorry for the Kiwi driver last night, he looked so dejected being interviewed - he reminded me of the poor Mayo players! I'm really hoping they can pull it out of the bag tonight :)

Looking like we will only get one race in tonight at best. Wind is light and direction is still poor.

Nicely done by Oracle, good start

It's mad how they can just drop the helm and have time to leg it across that distance to the other wheel without the boat skewing at all - I wonder do they have a lock of some sort that they set before they run?

NZ just aren't going to do it this time either, are they??!!

Very like yesterdays first race, maybe a bit closer

Usa seems to have 2-3knts advantage on Nzl a lot of that leg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

The races are a but of a procession. 1st at the windward mark wins the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

If the kiwis loose this it,ll be the sailing equivilant of the english bottoling it in a penalty shoot out

Some comeback though, I'd take a few processional races if it came down to a final race decider, heavier wind tomorrow might mix it up a bit more than today

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's mad how they can just drop the helm and have time to leg it across that distance to the other wheel without the boat skewing at all - I wonder do they have a lock of some sort that they set before they run?

From what I've been able to make out, one of the crew who legs it over to the other side first takes the helm temporarily until the helmsman shoots across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Dean Barker just looks completely deflated.

Stheno wrote: »
    From what I've been able to make out, one of the crew who legs it over to the other side first takes the helm temporarily until the helmsman shoots across

Yup, tactician does.

I think the Americans are just downright faster. No two ways about it. NZ need to find a way to foil easier or they're done.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Dean Barker just looks completely deflated.

Those interviews just having been beaten (again) must be pure torture!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yup, tactician does.

I think the Americans are just downright faster. No two ways about it. NZ need to find a way to foil easier or they're done.

Yeah the Americans seem to be putting in (or rather have put in ) the work to figure out where they were going wrong.

NZ seem to be doing the definition of insanity - taking the same course of action and expecting a different result.

What was the wind like last night? Most of the times I've seen Oracle win, it's been in lighter winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Stronger winds tomorrow so maybe that's what the kiwis need.
    Oracle seems to have their number in the lighter winds now.

OK, I'm doing a bit of advance planning here....

I'm DEFINITELY working Wednesday evening, but may be able to watch t'internet.... anyone know how much data watching youtube uses???

I'd be either watching on my phone, or tethering to the laptop/tablet, and I don't have a whole pile of a data allowance....

Hence I'll be screaming loudly at the laptop tomorrow evening, willing the Kiwis to just get on and WIN the bloody thing :D

The stronger winds have to be an advantage to them, like dloob said, the yanks seem to have it sussed in the lighter breeze....

They also need to work on the starts!

OK, I'm doing a bit of advance planning here....

I'm DEFINITELY working Wednesday evening, but may be able to watch t'internet.... anyone know how much data watching youtube uses???

I'd be either watching on my phone, or tethering to the laptop/tablet, and I don't have a whole pile of a data allowance....

A fair bit to be honest, a 20 minute race would eat data

Sorry :(

There are two races scheduled for tomorrow though, you never know !

• Advertisement

They also need to work on the starts!

Actually I was just thinking about this and comparing it to some of the races last week, Barker was much more aggressive at the starts (at least to my untrained eye) I remember one race where he was very aggressive coming up to the first mark, and being protested by Oracle (was not upheld) and it seems like he's being much more cautious the past few races I've seen.

Right, I definitely won't be able to watch this tomorrow - so those Kiwis had better organise themselves and win this bloody thing tonight! I can't miss a last-race showdown tomorrow!!! :eek:

I was doing a bit of reading about the whole thing today (trying to figure out
    the rules, mostly!) and Grant Dalton seems to be the missing link... when he's on, they win, when he's not, they don't. (this may not be a hard and fast rule, but it's not far off) But he's been awol the last few days. They need to find him, quick, haul him aboard and tie him to the mast!!!

I'd like them to be done with it at this stage. I'm unwell and don't want to have to stay up for both races.

Oh FFS, you'd see better in C3 in Dublin Bay!!! It won't be over with this race, or I'll eat my mainsail.

Right, I definitely won't be able to watch this tomorrow - so those Kiwis had better organise themselves and win this bloody thing tonight! I can't miss a last-race showdown tomorrow!!! :eek:

I was doing a bit of reading about the whole thing today (trying to figure out
    the rules, mostly!) and Grant Dalton seems to be the missing link... when he's on, they win, when he's not, they don't. (this may not be a hard and fast rule, but it's not far off) But he's been awol the last few days. They need to find him, quick, haul him aboard and tie him to the mast!!!

Yeah they've won more with him on than off, problem is that at his age he finds it hard to last two races.

That start was a shocker.

Has anyone ever skittered across the trampoline and overshot the runway?? :eek:

I keep waiting for it to happen!

Aha, their lucky mascot is back!!! Much good it did them in the start, mind you......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

yeah that start was a bit of a shambles

Lol imagine! A couple went overboard after a close call on ETNZ in one race/practice, just slid over the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Someone did that last week got picked up by a chase boat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement