Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

America's Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Cheers!

Like Dublin Bay, except that they're doing 20kts, and look like they're standing still :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

You can see the frustration on oracle trying to get up on the foil (or at least one hull flying) and get some speed. Now where's that 'adverse' tide gone when you need it?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Cheers!

Like Dublin Bay, except that they're doing 20kts, and look like they're standing still :eek:

My OH (who knows nothing about sailing) has been watching this with me, and he commented that they are going very slow.

I reminded him that possibly the fastest I've ever sailed is about 10 knots.

It's weird how slow it looks at that speed
    You can see the frustration on oracle trying to get up on the foil (or at least one hull flying) and get some speed. Now where's that 'adverse' tide gone when you need it?!

NZ seem to be foiling much better?

Good grief they are now speculating on tv about whether or not they will finish on time :(

are they racing both races if kiwis win this or leaving it at 13 races?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

are they racing both races if kiwis win this or leaving it at 13 races?

If kiwis win this, then it's all over.

Do both teams have to finish in forty minutes does anyone know?

Oracle now over a minute and 45 seconds behind haven't yet hit the second mark.

Stheno wrote: »
    If kiwis win this, then it's all over.

Do both teams have to finish in forty minutes does anyone know?

Oracle now over a minute and 45 seconds behind haven't yet hit the second mark.

eh, I like racing in light airs. GO team oracle (for this race :-/)

With normal racing rules only one boat has to finish in the time limit for there to be a finish awarded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Some very weird sounds coming off the mics on lads on the grinders. Sounds like their not grinding but brought the wife in instead

Predictions are that this race will run out of time, but the wind is supposed to pick up for the second race

Larry elison has some scandal on mother nature & has the pics to prove it

• Advertisement

abandoned :(

The language was interesting from the kiwis!

Quote of the day. "****in arseholes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lets be honest unless Race 2 goes beyond the timelimit Oracle have no chance in these light winds.

The language was interesting from the kiwis!

That was tame

neris wrote: »
    That was tame

Funny though :)

fcuking wifi **** **** work fffs

• Advertisement

Ray Davies - "stop asking me f****** stupid questions"

I want one of those flip-down tablet thingies for when I do pit/nav!

That interview with dean barker & spithill is getting tedious now

That interview with dean barker & spithill is getting tedious now

First time I've seen it :D

But what struck me (not having watched any of this before tonight, mind you, so forgive me) was that I really don't understand how these mad multihulls work - I can barely, if at all, tell if they're going up- or downwind :eek:

That brief shot of the Aussie guy when they were all 18 (missed the year) on the monohull with a spinny flying makes me wish that they'd do this on "normal boats", I for one would find it much more entertaining (given that sailing is the least spectator-friendly sport I can think of!)

That brief shot of the Aussie guy when they were all 18 (missed the year) on the monohull with a spinny flying makes me wish that they'd do this on "normal boats", I for one would find it much more entertaining (given that sailing is the least spectator-friendly sport I can think of!)

Aw no those iacc boats were just bigger pigz then the 12s. The best thing one of those yokes ever did was crack in half in the 95 cup in the middle of the race.

First time I've seen it :D

But what struck me (not having watched any of this before tonight, mind you, so forgive me) was that I really don't understand how these mad multihulls work - I can barely, if at all, tell if they're going up- or downwind :eek:

They do those interviews after every race, they are a bit tedious.

I'd have no idea if they were up or downwind if it weren't for the commentary

Anyway start of race two and they are getting better speed.

Go NZ!

• Advertisement

Sweet start tnz nice driving

They do those interviews after every race, they are a bit tedious.

I'd have no idea if they were up or downwind if it weren't for the commentary

Anyway start of race two and they are getting better speed.

Go NZ!

I was reading that once they start foiling the difference in the apparent wind angle when going upwind versus downwind is only 4 degrees....

Feck valid protest by the Americans?

Yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Wow. Awesome end to that leg. Thought the protest was wrong though.

Feck valid protest by the Americans?

Yup

When u saw, the on board shot didn't look like kiwis were wrong but helicopter shot showed big direction change by oracle

errlloyd wrote: »
    Wow. Awesome end to that leg. Thought the protest was wrong though.

It's so hard to call from footage... when I saw it first I was a bit like "ah he just threw the helm over so he COULD protest"... but camera angles are a funny thing

more of those dodgy noises!

more of those dodgy noises!

They are worse than usual, and in addition to usual, there is some severe heavy breathing (least that's what it sounds like) that is audible.

Wonder what "interesting" rte people are, being interviewed on late late. Who ever they are im sure there not worth turning this off for

Here can someone clarify. This was best of 17, but because USA losses two points new Zealand only actually need 8 to win it. Did they change it to first to 9.

• Advertisement

yes. if they need to do 2 extra races they will

Good race by Oracle

Feckin hell. You wouldn't want to have a social life on a friday or saturday night for this

I'm RO tomorrow for DBSC.... it'll seem very tame in comparison :D

Holy God - day 11 :eek:

4 day regattas on amateur yachts knocks the stuffing out of me! I'd be worn out being a spectator at that, never mind a sailor :eek:

4 day regattas on amateur yachts knocks the stuffing out of me! I'd be worn out being a spectator at that, never mind a sailor :eek:

I was thinking about this earlier, from what I can work out, they race about 4 miles per leg, so that's approx 15-20 miles per race, in forty minutes.

And the way they seem to just hop across the boat makes it look easy, until you remember they are running the distance of a tennis court each time

They don't go drinking after though

They don't go drinking after though

:pac::pac::pac:

True enough...... :D

I was thinking about this earlier, from what I can work out, they race about 4 miles per leg, so that's approx 15-20 miles per race, in forty minutes.

And the way they seem to just hop across the boat makes it look easy, until you remember they are running the distance of a tennis court each time

They race the equivilant or longer of the longest course possible in howth on a wednesday night which is around 10nm not sure dbsc longest course

• Advertisement

I love how much sky big up sports. In analysis they have it marked as the "pivotal penalty" the penalty meant nothing at all!!

They race the equivilant or longer of the longest course possible in howth on a wednesday night which is around 10nm not sure dbsc longest course

Not sure about evening racing, but the longest Saturday courses are about 13 miles. I don't think I've ever sent any fleet on one of those.

Still amazing that it's forty minutes that it takes them :) In light wind!

I love how much sky big up sports. In analysis they have it marked as the "pivotal penalty" the penalty meant nothing at all!!

easier to blame it on that than go into what actually went wrong...

They were going "slowly" downwind at 20 knots. I've never been out in anything bigger than an SB20, but I'd fairly sure I've never sailed 20 knots.

got to get a J80 up on a plane in about 20-25kts of wind once, definitely was doing in excess of 20 knots... Was an experience for certain. Can't imagine what 50kts is like.

• Advertisement

Well when those guys are foiling on the windward hull at 40 kts, they're probably 7 or 8 metres off the water.... I'd say it feels more like flying than sailing....

Well when those guys are foiling on the windward hull at 40 kts, they're probably 7 or 8 metres off the water.... I'd say it feels more like flying than sailing....

I watch them running across the boat at those speeds and am just amazed.

What time is kickoff tomorrow? Might have to tune in again, that was good crack tonight!

What time is kickoff tomorrow? Might have to tune in again, that was good crack tonight!

coverage starts ats 9pm race is off bout 915

Today, in what looked to be the last race of the America's Cup, Emirates Team New Zealand was enjoying a lead approaching a while in light winds.  Just minutes from the finish line, the race comittee signaled a race abandonment.  Profanity was heard on board the New Zealand boat as they started preparing for the second race of the day.

In an after race interview with Larry Ellison we found out just why Oracle Team USA has seemed to have been living a charmed life over the last several days.

Gary Jobson:
    "Larry, it's been amazing in the last serveral days.  Races called off for too much wind while you were losing.  Races abandoned because they were past the time limit.  This string of luck just can't continue.  Do you have any comments?"

Larry Ellison:
    "Well Gary, we knew the luck was going to sling our way.  Just a couple days ago we added a new team member to the payroll.  He's a creative guy and he's really given us an edge in every area - design, wind prediction, he's really been instrumental to our recent success."

Gary:
    "We haven't seen any new sailors on board.  Who is he?"

Larry Ellison:
    "God."

Gary:
    "Excuse me?"

Larry Ellison:
    "God.  I mean, money really isn't an object, because I'm Larry Ellison.  I had his direct number.  We concluded the deal in just a couple minutes.  He did mention that he's been wanting to talk to the New Zealanders for a while but really hasn't had a chance."

Gary:
    "Really?"

Larry Ellison:
    "Yeah.  Something about them and their sheep.  No idea what that's about."

Gary:
    "I see....."Quote

• Advertisement
Advertisement