Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Well done Yosse h - in case others haven't seen it there is now the facility on the parkrun Ireland site to send donations via paypal - http://www.parkrun.ie/aboutus/donations/

You can specify in the comments section as to the name of your local or chosen parkrun and they will recieve 85% of your donation and 15% will go to the New Event Fund.
    There is a little technical difficulty to the donations appearing on the site and on the home site of the chosen parkrun but that should be fixed shortly

Also I believe that will be some good news on the Club Tee-Shirts next week - :-)

and finally :-) for Strava parkrun users there is now a parkrun Ireland club on Strava Clubs
    http://www.strava.com/clubs/parkrunIRL

If you look at the results pages for the various parkruns you can now see who is has linked their parkrun and Strava accounts...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Amigaman wrote: »
    Also I believe that will be some good news on the Club Tee-Shirts next week - :-)

Finally to be made available to those in Ireland, retrospectively too I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

ballina ( mayo ) had its first parkrun last weekend , got a lovely morning for it , youl get it hard to find a more scenic run, photos are on runmayorun page on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bouli73

shame there is not one in Limerick. I know there is one in Killaloe but too far out. it is an event that would great support if it were there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

bouli73 wrote: »
    shame there is not one in Limerick. I know there is one in Killaloe but too far out. it is an event that would great support if it were there

http://www.parkrun.com/about/start-your-own-event

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 kmjones77

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Firedance wrote: »
    you could, but I think the idea here is to raise funds for 'parkrun'. Its free for us to use but its not free to operate, I guess this is our way to contribute and you get a nice wristband or keyring code for the contribution.

I understand what the idea is. I'm not sure how much goes back to ParkRun Ireland as ERS make an annual contribution to ParkRun UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

Downtime wrote: »
    I understand what the idea is. I'm not sure how much goes back to ParkRun Ireland as ERS make an annual contribution to ParkRun UK.
    I'm told, for purchases to Ireland, the contribution goes to parkrun Ireland, not the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

plodder wrote: »
    I'm told, for purchases to Ireland, the contribution goes to parkrun Ireland, not the UK.
    It seems not, I emailed them earlier after downtime raised the point, they've just confirmed the proceeds go to parkrun uk, so apologies downtime, its not supporting local parkruns at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

It seems not, I emailed them earlier after downtime raised the point, they've just confirmed the proceeds go to parkrun uk, so apologies downtime, its not supporting local parkruns at all.

No worries - the Wiggle Adidas stuff goes to Ireland I believe. Nice kit in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

I checked it with the country manager for parkrun Ireland. So, I'm pretty sure it is correct.

plodder wrote: »
    I checked it with the country manager for parkrun Ireland. So, I'm pretty sure it is correct.
    Hopefully the guy that replied to me was wrong! Lets investigate and try to get the right info.
    No parkrun for me for the next 2 weeks then I want to have a bash at ardgillan, the views make up for the hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'm pretty sure I heard an interview with one of the top Parkrun guys about 6 weeks ago and he said that any money raised in Ireland stayed in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I heard an interview with one of the top Parkrun guys about 6 weeks ago and he said that any money raised in Ireland stayed in Ireland.

Sure that I heard the same thing too on one of The parkrun Shows.

Not inconceivable that all the cash gets sent to the parkrun UK bank account, but just need a simple break down of how many barcodes they posted to Ireland and then it's parkruns problem to sort out how much cash goes where rather than ERS having to bother with figuring that out, it really isn't their problem what parkrun global wants to do with the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Has anyone tried the Popintree parkrun in Ballymun? How would it compare to any of the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

thehamo wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Popintree parkrun in Ballymun? How would it compare to any of the others?

Similar to St. Anne's, flat, 3 laps, nice park, easily accessible from M50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I was up in Belfast at the weekend and gave ormeau a go.
    Pretty good course with just a little drag in a couple of places.
    The course is outlined with timber waymarks and also have fixed km markers which were spot on.
    Fully recommend anybody in the city for a weekend to get out and join them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Has anyone done the Kilkenny one and what's the consensus?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No, but hopefully over the Christmas

adrian522 wrote: »
    No, but hopefully over the Christmas

Might see you there so!
    off topic but do you know anything about a Christmas morning run starting at the Parade?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No, I know absolutely nothing about running in Kilkenny, but might be interested if that was actually happening.

adrian522 wrote: »
    No, I know absolutely nothing about running in Kilkenny, but might be interested if that was actually happening.

It's on the Harriers' website but all it says is Christmas morning run at 11..

Could be just a club run or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Kilkenny parkrun is a fantastic location , particularly for parkrun tourists - stay centrally in one of the hotels and just rock on up to the castle at 9.15 warm up , run and a nice cup of coffee at the outdoor cafe at the main castle after the run... - the route itself is 2 and a half laps of the park where you face a hill climb on the 2nd 4th and 5th k , the 1st and 3 k are flat and slightly downhill and quite fast , surface is good throughout but doing that hill 3 times is a killer :-) so dont expect pb's..., lovely parkrun looking forward to booking another weekend away in the new year and doing it again ...Garinne and team are super friendly so dont forget to say hi...

Well I certainly wont be staying in a hotel, from KK originally but the rest if it sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

So, what new events will we see in 2015? I see Tralee parkrun is due to start on Jan 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

So, what new events will we see in 2015? I see Tralee parkrun is due to start on Jan 24th.

Tralee, Sligo and New Ross early in the year. Tralee's website is now live

http://www.parkrun.ie/tralee/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Tralee, Sligo and New Ross early in the year. Tralee's website is now live

http://www.parkrun.ie/tralee/

That's great progress! I made some inquiries about getting one going in Cork city but it went nowhere. I was told that some anchor group with funding was needed which I thought was strange as I understood it was all done by volunteers :confused:

opus wrote: »
    That's great progress! I made some inquiries about getting one going in Cork city but it went nowhere. I was told that some anchor group with funding was needed which I thought was strange as I understood it was all done by volunteers :confused:

I think that funding is needed to buy the bar code tabs, scanners, watches, lap top etc, I know with other park runs they've gotten some support from their local county council. Did Parkrun HQ not go into those details and suggest ways to get the funding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

opus wrote: »
    I was told that some anchor group with funding was needed which I thought was strange as I understood it was all done by volunteers

If you are still interested in setting up a parkrun in Cork I would get back in touch with parkrun HQ, something has got lost in translation somewhere along the line with the above quote. Funding should be relatively easy to put in place for a parkrun in Cork, the funding may already be there just waiting for a local team to come together.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement