Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i was going to purchase a Lenovo but heard of this before - glad i went with the Google version. In fairness its flawless and sits great in the kitchen. Love the ability to broadcast to it when in work from my iPhone. Youngest boy loves it that feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's a pity because the Lenovo is a far nicer device. Like everything they do, they just release things and forget about them unfortunately though.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

i suppose the question really is, is it the Lenovo that is the issue or is it a Google Assistant issue ? All working fine this morning, it seems to do this slowness thing in the evenings, not really during the day. I tried some voice commands from Google Home on my phone last night, to turn lights on, and that didnt work either. Which points towards a wider issue with Google Home / Assistant rather than Lenovo unit itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My minis that had disappeared have now just as mysteriously reappeared, but the broadcasting issue still remains.

Whenever I broadcast, it only goes through the main device in the dining/kitchen area.

The 3 mini's work perfectly in every other way, even linked to separate Spotify accounts,.

I know it's a trivial minor thing, but it's a bugging issue for me now that they just aren't working the same way as the rest of them are.

Anyone any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

My minis that had disappeared have now just as mysteriously reappeared, but the broadcasting issue still remains.

Whenever I broadcast, it only goes through the main device in the dining/kitchen area.

The 3 mini's work perfectly in every other way, even linked to separate Spotify accounts,.

I know it's a trivial minor thing, but it's a bugging issue for me now that they just aren't working the same way as the rest of them are.

Anyone any advice?

Have you tried turning them off and back on again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

mx5ire wrote: »
    i suppose the question really is, is it the Lenovo that is the issue or is it a Google Assistant issue ? All working fine this morning, it seems to do this slowness thing in the evenings, not really during the day. I tried some voice commands from Google Home on my phone last night, to turn lights on, and that didnt work either. Which points towards a wider issue with Google Home / Assistant rather than Lenovo unit itself.

I dont think its Lenova, mine was perfectly fine until a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

At it again this evening, next to useless. Fine this morning. Voice also working fine on a couple of phones - so while it might not be a hardware fault it does appear to be more Lenovo specific.

mx5ire wrote: »
    At it again this evening, next to useless. Fine this morning. Voice also working fine on a couple of phones - so while it might not be a hardware fault it does appear to be more Lenovo specific.

I just tried to add something to my shopping list using the Lenovo and it didnt respond, I have a google mini upstairs and tried that and it said I cannot answer personal questions about you.

This I think is a google problem and not Lenovo specific

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

R.O.R wrote: »
    Have you tried turning them off and back on again?

Um. Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Um. Yeah.

Well, that's the extent of my 1st line IT troubleshooting knowledge exhausted :pac:

Did you move any of them around at any point, or do some of them get very occasional use?

I had an issue with a Mini when it was moved from the family room to the office (replaced by a GH in the family room). Kept falling off the network from the office and only way to get it back was to unplug it for a reset.

Can't remember what eventually fixed it, but I made a point of asking a question every day when I was near the office, and it's been fine for the past few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Um. Yeah.
    Did you try disable band switching on your router for the google home devices.... I had hellish issues until i jumped onto that fix. Solved all issues and now all three solid connections and broadcast with no issues.

My Lenova display seems to be back working normally now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Anyone able to set a reoccuring radio alarm for a specific station? I would like to wake up to talk sport radio each workday but if i ask it to set a reoccuring radio alarm it picks a random station (trip hop expectations!) and doesnt give me the option to pick talksport. If i set a once off radio alarm i can specifiy talk sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Anyone able to set a reoccuring radio alarm for a specific station? I would like to wake up to talk sport radio each workday but if i ask it to set a reoccuring radio alarm it picks a random station (trip hop expectations!) and doesnt give me the option to pick talksport. If i set a once off radio alarm i can specifiy talk sport.

“Wake me at 7am with RTÉ Radio 1 every week day morning” works for me. I know that’s not the station you’re looking for, but try swapping out the RTÉ radio 1 part for Talk Sport Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

It's preventing you from listening to Alan f**king Brazil every morning. That's not a problem. That's a feature. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone got the Lenovo "Clock" yet?

Need a clock for the bedroom for morning timekeeping (my partner, not me) and like the form factor - and no camera; could also get rid of the Mini beside the TV then.

If the speaker(s) are even slightly better than the Mini that'd be nice as you'd have to be nuts to want to hear anything over those!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I’m looking to get another home hub, according to this
    https://www.theverge.com/good-deals/2019/7/1/20677068/google-home-nest-sale-pre-prime-day-bh-best-buy-walmart

They are now 79$ on US google store, they are still 119£ in UK store, anyone seen these prices generally filter through?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

copacetic wrote: »
    I’m looking to get another home hub, according to this
    https://www.theverge.com/good-deals/2019/7/1/20677068/google-home-nest-sale-pre-prime-day-bh-best-buy-walmart

They are now 79$ on US google store, they are still 119£ in UK store, anyone seen these prices generally filter through?

They were €99 at Dublin airport a few weeks back (not as cheap as the US but still).

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

L1011 wrote: »
    Anyone got the Lenovo "Clock" yet?

Need a clock for the bedroom for morning timekeeping (my partner, not me) and like the form factor - and no camera; could also get rid of the Mini beside the TV then.

If the speaker(s) are even slightly better than the Mini that'd be nice as you'd have to be nuts to want to hear anything over those!

I got one direct from Lenovo in the UK via Parcel Wizard. Very tidy, clear bright screen and the alarms are pleasant enough. Plays RTE radio loud and clear for me, good enough for a bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

This might be better in the Philips Hue thread, but however..
    I have my Hue lights linked to my Google Home speaker, but lately it doesn't recognize the light under certain circumstances.
    It will turn on the light, but not off or adjust brightness.
    I just get the message" It looks like that device is not set up yet"
    It will turn off that light if I tell it to turn off ALL lights.
    I've deleted the light, the room it's in and unlinked and re-linked the my Philips Hue account to try and reset it.
    Nothing's worked.
    Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

This might be better in the Philips Hue thread, but however.. I have my Hue lights linked to my Google Home speaker, but lately it doesn't recognize the light under certain circumstances. It will turn on the light, but not off or adjust brightness. I just get the message" It looks like that device is not set up yet" It will turn off that light if I tell it to turn off ALL lights. I've deleted the light, the room it's in and unlinked and re-linked the my Philips Hue account to try and reset it. Nothing's worked. Any help would be appreciated.

It could be that there's an update waiting for the hub or the lights. Fixed a similar issue I had a short while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Cable tidy is a great idea. The last picture beside the shower is well dodgy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Interesting, when I used to tell my Google home to turn on my lights it would say "sure, turning on bedroom", now it does a little tone and a different one for turning them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Interesting, when I used to tell my Google home to turn on my lights it would say "sure, turning on bedroom", now it does a little tone and a different one for turning them off!

Yeah they changed that interaction in the past few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/07/24/google-home-assistant-lights-silent/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I have a Google Hub since they were released and find it decent although the microphone is pretty poor and getting worse if anything, really have to speak loudly and repeat yourself sometimes which is very annoying.

Anyway I got a Google Mini during the week and microphone seems a lot better but even though it's set up the same as my Google Hub it won't play song requests and advises that YouTube premium is required.

I don't have this issue with the Hub, I don't have a Youtube premium subscription but any request made plays through Youtube Music and it works well. Anyone know why the two devices are behaving differently, had a quick look online but nothing concrete thus far.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I have a Google Hub since they were released and find it decent although the microphone is pretty poor and getting worse if anything, really have to speak loudly and repeat yourself sometimes which is very annoying.

Anyway I got a Google Mini during the week and microphone seems a lot better but even though it's set up the same as my Google Hub it won't play song requests and advises that YouTube premium is required.

I don't have this issue with the Hub, I don't have a Youtube premium subscription but any request made plays through Youtube Music and it works well. Anyone know why the two devices are behaving differently, had a quick look online but nothing concrete thus far.
    Thanks

I could be wrong, but I read somewhere it's a feature/perk that Google devices with a screen can play requests from YouTube/YouTube Music. Audio-only ones can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Thanks
    I have the same setup and also get different results between the two.

Are you able to select exact songs on the hub?

For me I don't have any music subscriptions but I've somehow tricked my hub into allowing me to select specific songs on Spotify.
    When I try it on the mini, I get told I need Spotify premium.

Advertisement