Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Had my first wedding dress fitting yesterday - it fits, TG!!!!! And it has to be taken in slightly! Need to get back on the wagon because I've fallen off a bit. I think the pressure to lose weight for the big day is actually making it harder to do it if that makes sense! Really need to try making better choices. Mindless eating in the evenings when the kids have gone to bed is my downfall - anyone any tips on how to avoid this?

I go to bed lol. If it’s a really bad night and healthy snacks like carrot sticks and babybel won’t cut it I go upstairs with my iPad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Fruit smoothies are the stealth killer, a lot of sugar in them, doesn't matter if its natural sugar but if you're trying to loose wieght I'd steer clear.

Had two good days in the gym and then two wash outs. hitting a bit of a plateau, also had drinks thursday night with the team. I am off on holidays tomorrow so that will be tough.

6 months, 2.5 stone officially and got slimmer of the month for the second time. Unfortunately I'm due time of the month and lost the battle with cravings the last two nights in a row so I'll have to be extra good for the next few days to try and get a maintain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Fruit smoothies are the stealth killer, a lot of sugar in them, doesn't matter if its natural sugar but if you're trying to loose wieght I'd steer clear.

Agree about processed fruit smoothies. We make our own so know exactly what is in them.

Its the fruit itself that has the sugar in it.

• Advertisement

I like the idea that you need to think about it. If you are making a smoothie with fruit, would you be able to sit down and physically eat that quantity of fruit if it wasn’t in a smoothie. If not then the smoothie is too much both in content and sugar. It’s so easy to make a smoothie with two bananas, a bunch of strawberries and yoghurt when in reality I’d never eat two bananas strawberries and yoghurt in one sitting-I’d be stuffed!

ETA: although I don’t subscribe to the slimming world notion of all fruit not in its original form has to be counted. If it’s less or equal to the amount of fruit I would eat in a normal portion then I’m not synning it just because it’s warmed up by being stirred into my porridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Always considered fruit & veg to be 'free foods' when it came to slimming & watching what I eat when in training/slimming stages. Can understand that fruit contains natural sugars & mixing them in smoothies can be counter productive but I eat a huge amount of fresh fruit, 3 or 4 pieces daily minimum and never really saw it impact me one way or another. If anything when i cut it out my digestive system tends to slow down & i bloat & put on weight through a lack of 'disposal' for want of a better description. Never got the whole smoothie thing as I dont find eating fruit difficult, in fact I love it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

If you forget the type of food and just count the content a glass of orange juice is similar in sugar content to a glass of coke. Sure you're getting vitamins, just don't expect to be loosing any weight.

A glass of orange juice has up to 14 grams of fructose, a can of Coke sometimes has 15 to 16 grams

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Mindless eating in the evenings when the kids have gone to bed is my downfall - anyone any tips on how to avoid this?

If someone told me this 6 months ago I would have thought they were being insanely, annoyingly self-virtuous but here goes. I have found that the highs of physical activity can almost completely replace the need to snack at night. For years, especially since pregnancy, I found that time at night where you have no responsibilities and can just watch tv/read and snack on something delicious to be the most pleasurable, looked forward part of the day. Essential for my mental wellbeing even if crap for my physical. When I quit sugar last year I switched to healthy snacking like frozen blackcurrants (which are an amazing snack on a hot summer night - not so tempting toward Christmas;)) but I was essentially still in the same habit of my looked forward to me-time/down-time being completely sedentary while eating tasty treats. I lost all the weight I needed to lose but I knew that I essentially had the same bad habits. Realistically it would only be a matter of time before I fell back into wanting crap easy snacks and was in danger of just yo-yoing in weight.

Then by accident that changed. I found a physical activity I love and want to do nearly every day. I occasionally joke it's such good exercise it allows me to eat all the dessert I want but the thing is I don't really want. Obviously I still find tasty food pleasurable and I have a couple of really good quality bars of chocolate in my bedside drawer. But chilling and eating isn't my me-time/down-time any more. My brain is just so pleasantly high from the enjoyments and efforts of the physical activity that I don't have the same need/desire to relax that way any more. I sometimes choose to but it's an active choice and I'm usually as genuinely happy to have a peppermint tea/glass of water when watching something.

If you forget the type of food and just count the content a glass of orange juice is similar in sugar content to a glass of coke. Sure you're getting vitamins, just don't expect to be loosing any weight.

A glass of orange juice has up to 14 grams of fructose, a can of Coke sometimes has 15 to 16 grams

Yeah, dont touch juices for that reason, when I saw the sugar content in some of them I was shocked. Lots of water & fresh fruit my staples even when not trying to lose weight.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Always considered fruit & veg to be 'free foods' when it came to slimming & watching what I eat when in training/slimming stages. Can understand that fruit contains natural sugars & mixing them in smoothies can be counter productive but I eat a huge amount of fresh fruit, 3 or 4 pieces daily minimum and never really saw it impact me one way or another. If anything when i cut it out my digestive system tends to slow down & i bloat & put on weight through a lack of 'disposal' for want of a better description. Never got the whole smoothie thing as I dont find eating fruit difficult, in fact I love it.

I eat tons of fruit too but not in one sitting like a smoothie! Love fruit!

I eat tons of fruit too but not in one sitting like a smoothie! Love fruit!

I meant fruit OR a smoothie.

It’s important when eating any food to know what the sugar content is and fruit is no exception. Natural or not we would generally stick to ones with low sugar content.

The smoothies would usually have things like kale, spinach, coconut milk, oats etc.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the naturally occurring sugar in whole fruit. How your body reacts to it isn't even remotely comparable to how it reacts to refined sugar. They aren't even a little bit the same and stressing about it is more likely to sabotage your efforts. It's normal to enjoy sweet food, the absolute healthiest food by a very wide margin in the whole world for humans is super sweet and full of sugars. It's breastmilk. We've evolved to enjoy sweet and all sugars aren't equal and shouldn't be considered as such. Studies have even shown that people on calorie controlled diets who additionally eat as much fruit as they want lose more weight than people on otherwise identical diets. Fruit is full of nutritionally solid vitamins, minerals, healthy carbohydrates and fibre. This is also true of dried whole fruits. Eat as much of it as you want and don't stress about it. The reality is that all the water and fibre is going to run it (and everything else you are eating) through you before it makes you fat.

Yes be careful of drinking more than a glass of juice or pre-packaged smoothies on occasion. But if you are eating whole fruit and making your own smoothies, honestly knock yourself out. I quit refined sugar last year but allowed myself to eat all the fruit I wanted whenever I wanted. If I hadn't allowed myself that, I'd probably have failed. But I ate all the fruit I wanted, felt better for it (almost certainly pooped better than ever) developed a much better relationship with my appetite and the weight fell off steadily without any other effort. I'm actually crazy healthy now and do what amounts to really full on work outs nearly every day meaning I need to make a conscious effort to eat something specific to help replace what I've lost and encourage muscle building (which a good fruit and nut-butter smoothie is perfect for). But I'd lost all the weight before that and that was in very large part down to eating all the fruit I wanted.

Great post.

DvB wrote: »
    Great post.

Sure is.

Very true, I wouldnt worry about whole fruit, couple of pieces a day is okay for sugar content, once you're not trying low carb or keto. Smoothie or juice though, as the studies show, have no difference in absorption when compared to refined sugar. I am not sure what studies you are referring to however all the things I have read or been given of the years by nutritionists/docs say that sugar is sugar according to ones body.

‘'Calorie for calorie, fruit juice is worse for you than fizzy drinks'’ source, https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/24/robert-lustig-sugar-poison

I am just back from a weeks holiday and managed to loose a kg. We did a huge amount of walking, according to the Mrs fitbit we did an average of just over 9km a day. I had the wee one in a baby carrier in front and a backpack on so that helped too.

I also did quite a few steam rooms and sauna's so I would say a lot if just water loss that I will put back on. Back in the gym this week so will hope to keep it going. Have about 3 weeks till the big holiday so need to slim down by 5 kg more.

Very true, I wouldnt worry about whole fruit, couple of pieces a day is okay for sugar content, once you're not trying low carb or keto. Smoothie or juice though, as the studies show, have no difference in absorption when compared to refined sugar. I am not sure what studies you are referring to however all the things I have read or been given of the years by nutritionists/docs say that sugar is sugar according to ones body.

‘'Calorie for calorie, fruit juice is worse for you than fizzy drinks'’ source, https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/24/robert-lustig-sugar-poison

Is that the wrong link? That quote isn't in the article, there is literally no mention of fruit or juice other than high fructose corn syrup which is a processed sugar with nothing in common with the sugars found in whole fruit. Worrying about the sugar content in fruit is the very best way to sabotage most people's efforts. People don't just give up fruit, they think "feck it, if fruit is just as bad a Snickers I might as well have the Snickers. If orange juice is as bad as Coke, I might as well have the Coke."

This completely ignores the fact that orange juice is naturally high in vital nutrients, such as vitamin C and potassium, that it aids the absorption of iron, is high in anti-oxidants, reduces the acidity of urine and thus reduces instances of kidney stones and shows reductive effects in people with high HDL cholesterol. Just comparing sugar content with sugar content is so reductive it's worthless. Yes compare the sugar content of HFC to sugar, that makes sense as HFC is the removal of all the amazingly beneficial parts of fruit and leaving just the sugar. But you absolutely can not compare whole fruit or even fruit juice to processed sugar or processed fizzy drinks because it ignores all of the great, nutritional and health effects that the fruit and even juice has on your body.

The negative effects of eating lots and lots of fruit are minimal if they even exist outside of tooth acidity (which is easily counteracted). The health benefits are absolutely enormous, not least of which they satisfy the craving for sweet and make reducing or removing processed sugar consumption far easier for most people. Not to mention the massive benefit of eating all the fibre. Honestly, just eat fruit and don't feel bad about it. Eat as many portions as you want. Need a snack, grab an apple. Want something to graze on when watching tv at night, have a bowl of berries or pineapple pieces. You will avoid the feeling of denying yourself and make your new healthier lifestyle one that's pleasurable enough to feel genuinely happy about sticking to for life.

And that last part applies to exercise too. Don't get in the trap of committing to an exercise routine that feels like work. That is something you have to push yourself to do and feel like you will reward yourself for your efforts. Find something you love. That you rush out of bed to get on with or look forward to all day. As someone who was prone to a bit of yo-yoing in terms of weightloss and gain, I know that when weightloss feels like sacrifice you will almost certainly hit your target and then slide back into bad habits. And all signs indicate that is actually worse for you than staying over-weight. Whereas if you find a way to lose the weight without it feeling like a sacrifice, if life in fact feels more pleasurable than ever, then you are far, far more likely to embrace this new lifestyle forever.

Apologies its in an article about the study on BBC here https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/should-i-still-drink-fruit-juice

I was just noting sugar is sugar to the body, nothing to do with vitamins, when I specifically referred to fruit juices. Here's the British Medical journal article about it https://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5001

The trap is people thinking 'natural sugar' is treated differently.

Apologies its in an article about the study on BBC here https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/should-i-still-drink-fruit-juice

I was just noting sugar is sugar to the body, nothing to do with vitamins, when I specifically referred to fruit juices. Here's the British Medical journal article about it https://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5001

The trap is people thinking 'natural sugar' is treated differently.

That study is about type 2 diabetes and the conclusion is that the greater the consumption of whole fruit, the significantly less to minor amount less the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, depending on the fruit. It kind of just proves my point your body reacts completely and utterly differently to the sugar in whole fruit. Eat as much whole fruit as you want it's absolutely amazing for you, be careful with juice. The trap really and truly is avoiding fruit for no reason, it sets people up to fail and denies them a myriad of benefits.

Hence the studies leading medical author stating ‘'Calorie for calorie, fruit juice is worse for you than fizzy drinks'’

• Advertisement

But reality isn’t calorie for calorie. That isn’t how our bodies work. You can’t compare empty calories to calories that come with a myriad of health benefits. It’s reductive to the point of near redundancy. While someone at high risk of T2 diabetes should avoid juice someone at high risk of kidney stones, vitamin c deficiency or anaemia may well be recommended to incorporate orange juice into their diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

iguana wrote: »
    Worrying about the sugar content in fruit is the very best way to sabotage most people's efforts. People don't just give up fruit, they think "feck it, if fruit is just as bad a Snickers I might as well have the Snickers. If orange juice is as bad as Coke, I might as well have the Coke."
    Wholeheartedly agree with you.
    I get so annoyed when some foods are demonised (chicken skin, I am looking at you) while the factory-made "low this and low that" are promoted and are full of additives, thickening agents and the like.
    iguana wrote: »
    The negative effects of eating lots and lots of fruit are minimal if they even exist outside of tooth acidity (which is easily counteracted). The health benefits are absolutely enormous, not least of which they satisfy the craving for sweet and make reducing or removing processed sugar consumption far easier for most people. Not to mention the massive benefit of eating all the fibre. Honestly, just eat fruit and don't feel bad about it.
    Amen to that.

Did 8km last night running, havent been in a week, was hoping to get more in but it was just too warm.

On the juiced fruit statement and supporting medical journal report supporting the comment that ‘'Calorie for calorie, fruit juice is worse for you than fizzy drinks'’ the topic seems to be getting bogged down and obfuscated to include other points not related to the original point I was making. If you like juice crack away, I love it, but know the effect.

Got just dance for the switch. Ok it’s not a gym workout but damn it’s fun and I broke enough of a sweat that the Apple Watch picked up a workout. Definitely will be making use of it

Ok weekend overall here considering I had my sons christening and had people in the house all day. Ate a proper breakfast before anyone arrived. Resisted the fry up and scones I made everyone else and had a small bowl of fruit. Brought my own wrap to eat with the finger food and resisted all of the goujons, sausages etc. However I did have a slice of cake in the afternoon, a small burger and chips at dinner and a scone for tea. So I basically got progressively less careful as the day went on.

I keep having to remind myself that this is still better even if not ideal. A year ago I’d have eaten the fry, the hot finger food, the white sandwiches full of butter and mayo and a ton of chips plus several scones. Could have been worse

Edit: oh and I offloaded the epic amount of leftover cake on grandparents and the neighbours kids so couldn’t have more lol

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

After reading people's success stories on here and in the diet forum, I took the plunge and joined slimming world 3 weeks ago. I do the online one because I can't organise child care around the meetings and my toddler would cause havoc.

I'm 10lbs down now in 3 weeks, and really enjoying it. At the weekend I fitted in to a pair of trousers that haven't fitted in years :)

Toots wrote: »
    After reading people's success stories on here and in the diet forum, I took the plunge and joined slimming world 3 weeks ago. I do the online one because I can't organise child care around the meetings and my toddler would cause havoc.

I'm 10lbs down now in 3 weeks, and really enjoying it. At the weekend I fitted in to a pair of trousers that haven't fitted in years :)

That’s just fantastic well done you!!

Can I ask your opinion on the online one? I know they’ve got a different app to the meetings. I’m attending meetings but I’d nearly be willing to fork out for a proper app for my diary until they eventually give us access to the new one

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not sure what app they use for the meetings, but online you get the tracker app where you log your food. It figures out the syns etc for most things, there'd be the very odd thing that isn't in the database but you can use the syn calculator on the website to add it to the app. Then there's a second app which gives you access to the message boards and support bits of the website. This is also the one where you weigh in, and it gives you your awards like the half stone award etc.

What is the tracker app for the meetings like?

Initially when you sign up online, you have to pay upfront for a minimum of 3 months. I actually quite like that, because it's encouraging me to stick with it since I've already committed to it financially. You can also buy the hi-fi snack bars online too. They limit you to 10 boxes every 30 days (although they come in boxes of 5, so you'd want to be fairly horsing into them to eat 10 boxes in 30 days)

Toots wrote: »
    I'm not sure what app they use for the meetings, but online you get the tracker app where you log your food. It figures out the syns etc for most things, there'd be the very odd thing that isn't in the database but you can use the syn calculator on the website to add it to the app. Then there's a second app which gives you access to the message boards and support bits of the website. This is also the one where you weigh in, and it gives you your awards like the half stone award etc.

What is the tracker app for the meetings like?

Initially when you sign up online, you have to pay upfront for a minimum of 3 months. I actually quite like that, because it's encouraging me to stick with it since I've already committed to it financially. You can also buy the hi-fi snack bars online too. They limit you to 10 boxes every 30 days (although they come in boxes of 5, so you'd want to be fairly horsing into them to eat 10 boxes in 30 days)

There’s no app based tracker just the website which I hate (you can save the link to the home screen but it’s still web based) . We do have access to one (link attached) which has an online calculator but I just hate their diary set up

10lbs (4.5kg) in three weeks is unreal fair play to you!! I am counting .5kg in a week as brill.

Havent done my gym routine in nearly 2 weeks due to a weeks holiday, and work commitments. I have been running again, did a 10km last night.

My OH has had a PT the last few months following the birth so my goals have been put on the back burner. On our week off for example she went to the gym each morning and I did all the little one duties then when she got back spent the day sightseeing till bedtime so no time for the gym for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well done Toots 10lbs in 3 weeks is brilliant.

Advertisement