Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick 2030 Economic Plan

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1209/491688-university-of-limerick-jobs/

About 1,000 jobs are expected to be created in Limerick over the next four years in a major expansion of the University of Limerick, part funded by the European Investment Bank.
    An estimated 700 of the jobs will be in construction and nearly 300 will be created on the existing campus as well as at a new campus in Limerick city centre.
    The European Investment Bank is providing over €100m to UL for its capital development plan, which will see 12 new buildings on the north and south campus, a new clinical education research building and a new city centre campus.
    The university is spending €224m overall on the plan.
    Professor Don Barry, President of the University of Limerick, said the expansion will "transform education and student life for future generations" and will provide an economic boost in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I wonder who has the construction contract for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Not a whole lot of info on the city centre campus.

Where is it going? What department is going there? Where will the accommodation be? Opera Centre site?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

A second pool and a cinema according to the independent? Wonder if that will actually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Other highlights of the UL Capital Development Plan, which will roll out over five years, include:

• the Glucksman Library Phase 2 will double the size of the current library facility with a dedicated climate controlled Special Collections Unit

• a dedicated purpose built Team Training Centre for the Munster Rugby Team

• a second 25m pool incorporating a Diving Pool as part of an extension to the University Arena

• a Pitch Development project which will see the development of 6 state-of-the-art flood lit grass training pitches

• the Bernal Building currently under construction which will further strengthen the University’s Science zone along with

• Phase 2 of the Materials and Surface Science Institute which consists of a 2,750m2 extension currently under construction

• a new student centre building including meeting rooms, social areas, Students Union facilities, shops, cinema, concert facilities and a Visitor Centre incorporating the University reception and offices.

Off- Campus Projects

The University is currently undertaking the investigative phase of an initiative to construct student accommodation in Limerick City Centre. This is being developed in collaboration with the city authorities and currently involves up to 400 student-bedroom units. This project may rise in scale to a 1,000 bed facility in partnership with other Higher Education institutions in the city subject to feasibility and funding. The University is also committed to developing a significant academic facility in the city centre area which is projected to involve teaching and related infrastructure for a student population of approximately 500, with associated staff and support services.

The construction of a Clinical Education Research Building on the site of the University Hospital Limerick is also part of the plan to support collaboration, knowledge exchange and active engagement with the clinicians and the hospital administration and the University. The Graduate Entry Medical School (GEMS) at the University of Limerick now has over 80 students on Clinical Placement at the campus of the lead teaching hospital, University Hospital Limerick. The development of GEMS requires a Clinical Education & Research Building on the campus of University Hospital Limerick. This development will enhance the delivery of the medical programme and the implementation of the University’s health research strategy which aims to inform an equitable, safe, sustainable and patient-centred healthcare system.

Over the last five years the European Investment Bank has provided more than EUR 559 million for long-term investment in Irish education. This includes support for investment in 105 schools across the country, campus development at UCD and new research facilities at Trinity College.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭ricimaki

The official plan on the UL site. johnmolly554 covered most of the important bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Limerick Chronicle is reporting that the cabinet is due to make a decision about relocating the Revenue Commissioners from Sarsfield House.

That would be a big step in getting Limerick 2030 off the ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zulutango wrote: »
    The Limerick Chronicle is reporting that the cabinet is due to make a decision about relocating the Revenue Commissioners from Sarsfield House.

That would be a big step in getting Limerick 2030 off the ground.

The article is now online. It's to be moved across the road to the Opera Center.
    It also has confirmation that if Limerick gets the National Diaspora Centre, it will be built on the Cleeves site.

The article is now online. It's to be moved across the road to the Opera Center.
    It also has confirmation that if Limerick gets the National Diaspora Centre, it will be built on the Cleeves site.

That obviously leaves a Dunnes Stores sized hole in the Limerick 2030 plan. Although, if I remember correctly, what was proposed for there was a 'Limerick Cultural Centre'. The National Diaspora Centre wasn't part of 2030 but it's great that Limerick is putting in a strong bid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

He also confirmed the pedestrianisation of O’Connell Street remains on the council radar, following a question from councillor Joe Leddin.

Oh really?! It's only been 13 years since the plan was first announced! No rush lads! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What does 'on the council radar' even mean I wonder?

The city is crying out for this, yet other projects (such as the footbridge) which were never part of the plan suddenly get huge amounts of funding. Any journalist worth his/her salt should be pressing Pat Daly on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Indeed. It's a big deal and worthy of a story on its own. Not just a token mention to be used as filler!

What's going on here? Are they actively pursuing funding avenues? Have they got a detailed design in place? Or does it just remain solely an aspiration and a "sure we'll see what happens" kind of a thing?!

Jesus if they actually go ahead with the image of the plan on parnell there will be mayhem, where are all the cars going to park now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

zulutango wrote: »
    That obviously leaves a Dunnes Stores sized hole in the Limerick 2030 plan. Although, if I remember correctly, what was proposed for there was a 'Limerick Cultural Centre'. The National Diaspora Centre wasn't part of 2030 but it's great that Limerick is putting in a strong bid for it.
    Compulsory purchase order should be issued.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Jesus if they actually go ahead with the image of the plan on parnell there will be mayhem, where are all the cars going to park now?

Looks ot be plenty of parking to me.
    proposed_parnell_st.jpg

The double parking on Parnell St is ridiculous though. Wider footpaths and an end to the double parking would be a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mc Love wrote: »

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood, but the Opera Centre is down by Patrick Street, what effect will this have on Parnell Street, or is there a separate announcement regarding the upgrade of Colbert Station that I missed?

Yep sorry wrong thread!

Construction work on the Hanging Gardens complex on Henry St could restart before the end of the year http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/hanging-gardens-site-sale-nearly-signed-in-limerick-1-5955042

It would be great if this happens. It would be a great signal that Limerick is on it's way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭James McNulty

Construction work on the Hanging Gardens complex on Henry St could restart before the end of the year http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/hanging-gardens-site-sale-nearly-signed-in-limerick-1-5955042

It would be great if this happens. It would be a great signal that Limerick is on it's way back.

+1 and hopefully they'll kickstart the new courts building that is to be located next to the prison ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'm not sure now which is the April Fools article, I thought it was the 5 Mayors one but...

I'm not sure now which is the April Fools article, I thought it was the 5 Mayors one but...

Why? It's part of the 2030 plan and the council purchased it from NAMA. There is a need for office space in the city and this can be finished relatively quickly.

Why? It's part of the 2030 plan and the council purchased it from NAMA. There is a need for office space in the city and this can be finished relatively quickly.

It's not part of the 2030 plan, as far as I recall.

Obviously, it would be great if it was finished off though.

Some updates from Conn Murray.
      The Hanging Gardens site has gone to tender with construction expected to begin at the end of the year.
      The council completed the purchase of the Cleeves site on Tuesday.
      Work on Colbert Station is to commence this month.
      The council has received received seven serious expressions of interest in developing the Opera Center site.
      An announcement on the plans for Ardmore Studios to lease the former Dell building in Plassey is due in three weeks.

Had to do a quick search for Cleeves and its the Dairy plant! They must be loaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Some updates from Conn Murray.
      The Hanging Gardens site has gone to tender with construction expected to begin at the end of the year.
      The council completed the purchase of the Cleeves site on Tuesday.
      Work on Colbert Station is to commence this month.
      The council has received received seven serious expressions of interest in developing the Opera Center site.
      An announcement on the plans for Ardmore Studios to lease the former Dell building in Plassey is due in three weeks.

Any update on the Ardmore plans?

I could only find their CEO saying:
    'I am as surprised as all you are with what I am reading in the papers. I haven't commented in any of the papers.
    'Talks have taken place but we haven't agreed anything, and even if we did, it will not affect anything in Wicklow.'

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/ardmore-studios-ceo-we-are-staying-in-bray-31289305.html

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭sleepyman

MilfordBud wrote: »

Does this mean the whole Ardmore thing is pie in the sky?The works on the station were meant to start last month-still hasn't happened.It doesn't really seem anything construction wise has started-just a few nice plans.

sleepyman wrote: »
    Does this mean the whole Ardmore thing is pie in the sky?

The local reports never stated that the Wicklow studio would be closing so I don't know where that came from. And she does say that negotiations have taken place with the council, so it's not all pie in the sky.
    Also I notice that the article is dated 13th June, and the Leader article I posted from 12th June stated "An announcement on the plans for Ardmore Studios to lease the former Dell building in Plassey is due in three weeks", which is around now.
    sleepyman wrote: »
    The works on the station were meant to start last month[/B]-still hasn't happened.It doesn't really seem anything construction wise has started-just a few nice plans.

I tweeted Irish Rail in May and they said "Commencement was subject to funding, which is now expected early Q3". If funding is only due around now, it'll be a while longer before it starts.
    Also these works have nothing to do with the council so non movement in other plans doesn't mean non movement here.

Advertisement