Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accepting things in dreams

Options
  • 04-08-2006 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Just a thought- I've often wondered why in your dreams you accept bizzare/ unusual/ unacceptable events as completely normal. I've had some odd ones I must say and wake up wondering why your brain never says "hey wait a minute this isnt right!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Its an altered state of conciousness. Your brain is a willing accomplice in the deception.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sociologist W.I. Thomas researched reality. I wonder what he would have concluded about dream states? He said something to the effect: If you believe something to be real, it will be real in its consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by lizzy_beth
    Just a thought- I've often wondered why in your dreams you accept bizzare/ unusual/ unacceptable events as completely normal. I've had some odd ones I must say and wake up wondering why your brain never says "hey wait a minute this isnt right!"

Maybe it also depends on how much of a "control freak" you are in your waking state. (and please do not take that as an insult, I speak from personal experience here) I have spent years being one myself, trying to shove a round peg into a square slot, so to speak. And yes, I would have dreams just like you describe. I think it was my brain telling me to just let go of all the control and stress! To accept the things I simply cannot control.

And since I have been making a conscious effort at doing that, I either don't have those kind of issues in my dreams or I just don't notice them so much.

Does this make sense to any one?

L4L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

lizzy_beth wrote:

Yea, I have noticed this too, I often wake up thinking 'How didnt I realise?'
    Somebody was posting something about lucid dreaming which is similar to this if youre interested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054969068

Advertisement