Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true that more than eight hours sleep is bad for you?

Options
  • 01-08-2006 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what opinions people have on this topic as apparently it is very bad for your body to sleep even a little over eight hours.
    Could be superficial crap either but your comments would be helpfull;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Theres so many theories out there like too much sleep raises the chances that you will get parkinsons and too little sleep=obesity. I don't know, I haven't gotten any more than 5 hours of sleep in a long, long time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I find that if i get excessive sleep i'll end up w/ a head ache, and if im lying on my back for this, my eyesight will be blurrier than normal for the rest of the day.

stupid vision centre at teh back of the head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

id say it would depend if you had sufficient/ insufficient sleep from the night before and whether or not your body needed the sleep.

Ruu i found a website with that theory on it (national sleep foundation)
    http://www.sleepfoundation.org/hottopics/index.php?secid=9&id=33
    Sleep deprivation has been linked to health problems such as obesity and high blood pressure, negative mood and behavior and decreased productivity.Studies have found a relationship between the quantity and quality of one's sleep and many health problems. For example, insufficient sleep affects growth hormone secretion that is linked to obesity; as the amount of hormone secretion decreases, the chance for weight gain increases. Blood pressure usually falls during the sleep cycle, however, interrupted sleep can adversely affect this normal decline, leading to hypertension and cardiovascular problems. Research has also shown that insufficient sleep impairs the body's ability to use insulin, which can lead to the onset of diabetes. More and more scientific studies are showing correlations between poor and insufficient sleep and disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i definately wake up very cranky and groggy if i sleep for say 10 hours or more...anything between 6 and 10 hours roughly and i'm usually grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I find its the quality of the sleep. 10-12 hours of crappy waking up every now and then gives the same result as 5 hours of good sleep.

I usually get in about 7 hours of reasonable sleep and can function in a reasonable fashion the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

If I sleep longer than 8 hours, I tend to get headaches and feel a bit 'spaced out' for the first couple of hours I'm awake. It seems to depend on how tired I am when I go to sleep really. If I've had a late night the previous night, I could sleep 10 hours and not really notice. I prefer to not sleep for too long as I don't like the fuzziness but I've never really considered how it affects my health.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Everyone's sleep needs are different, cause we are different and not clones. There's some literature on child development that suggests that they need more sleep. As for me, I rarely get 8 big ones, and if I stay in longer than that, I seem to be just a tired as if I was sleep deprived.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Americans like to get about 9 hours sleep, most of us do with 7, they say anywhere between 6 and 9 is normal and depends on the person... If you've worked up a "sleep debt" by depriving yourself of sleep over the week, it's accepted that you might sleep for a very long period over the weekend.
    I love sleeping and naps - can't have enough in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I feel great after about nine or ten hours. Less and I'm a bit unsatisfied. I have often slept as much as 12 or more (especially after missing the night before) and it feels great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I saw a good test lately whereby a group of soldiers in the Army were tested for their optimum performance based on sleep.
    The optimum mental and physical performance was found to be 10 hours sleep per night.
    Alot of sleep I know but the 8-10 hours zone was recommended and either side of that was deemed less effective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 murrayeel

sleep always makes me feel a lot better. But getting longer sleep rather than the recommended hours really do make you feel sluggish! Had experienced it a lot of times.You wake up not feeling refreshed but rather your head aches like hell..:(

Advertisement