Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with people and Birthdays??

Options
  • 22-05-2020 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

2020 - whether we like it or not will forever be remembered for the year that the entire population of the world had to endure Bono's 60th Birthday...

This is something I could never get my head around. Why do people take their own birthday so seriously? :confused:

There are some exceptions:

1-16: Each year comprises of a significant percentage of your life so it's reasonable enough to have a party with sweets and chocolate and such

17-20: You are not yet ready to abandon the birthday thing, and you are always looking for reasons to go drinking with your friends.

21: Fair enough. You have reached maturity and you have one last celebration of yourself before you enter a life of boredom and responsibility

70+: Usually people of this age couldn't give a sh!t but their idiot family's insist on having a celebration to give the finger to everyone who didn't live long enough.

Now this brings us on to the 22-69 year olds. Why do you insist on torturing your friends and family by continuously celebrating yourself every year? I am especially talking about the people who make a big thing of the following birthdays:

30: Why is this a cause for celebration? You are no longer in your 20s. You are getting old. Your friends are moving on, getting married and have young kids to worry about. They don't have time to celebrate such a meaningless "milestone". Your body is beginning to degrade. You start getting shorter every year. Your ability to generate muscle is reducing. This is absolutely no cause for celebration.

40: Even worse. Why is this a thing now? People are having 40ths as if they are 21. Get over yourself. Nobody gives a crap that you are 40. This is no achievement.

50: Would you believe that I have actually been to a man's 50th birthday party? Not by choice but by a work obligation in which I recieved a physical invitation to attend. I really hope this was an anomaly and doesn't become a thing. Because if it is I would like the world to stop and let me off here, thanks.

You hear people now in the lockdown in the depths of despair because their birthday has come around and they can't celebrate it properly. How about you get over yourself, you are one in 7 billion. Nobody really gives this much of a crap about you and you need to get over yourself.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

"old man yells at cloud"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Reaching maturity at 21?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

We really don't need to hear about the 60th birthday of a humongous ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Reaching maturity at 21?

Hopefully I wont reach maturity until at least my 70's.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Now this brings us on to the 22-69 year olds. Why do you insist on torturing your friends and family by continuously celebrating yourself every year?...

Nobody really gives this much of a crap about you and you need to get over yourself.

You really sound like someone that just should be ignored and not invited to any party. I'd say this is more family than friends issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

2020 - whether we like it or not will forever be remembered for the year that the entire population of the world had to endure Bono's 60th Birthday...

This is something I could never get my head around. Why do people take their own birthday so seriously? :confused:

1-16: Each year comprises of a significant percentage of your life so it's reasonable enough to have a party with sweets and chocolate and such

17-20: You are not yet ready to abandon the birthday thing, and you are always looking for reasons to go drinking with your friends.

21: Fair enough. You have reached maturity and you have one last celebration of yourself before you enter a life of boredom and responsibility

70+: Usually people of this age couldn't give a sh!t but their idiot family's insist on having a celebration to give the finger to everyone who didn't live long enough.

Now this brings us on to the 22-69 year olds. Why do you insist on torturing your friends and family by continuously celebrating yourself every year? I am especially talking about the people who make a big thing of the following birthdays:

30: Why is this a cause for celebration? You are no longer in your 20s. You are getting old. Your friends are moving on, getting married and have young kids to worry about. They don't have time to celebrate such a meaningless "milestone". Your body is beginning to degrade. You start getting shorter every year. Your ability to generate muscle is reducing. This is absolutely no cause for celebration.

40: Even worse. Why is this a thing now? People are having 40ths as if they are 21. Get over yourself. Nobody gives a crap that you are 40. This is no achievement.

50: Would you believe that I have actually been to a man's 50th birthday party? Not by choice but by a work obligation in which I recieved a physical invitation to attend. I really hope this was an anomaly and doesn't become a thing. Because if it is I would like the world to stop and let me off here, thanks.

You hear people now in the lockdown in the depths of despair because their birthday has come around and they can't celebrate it properly. How about you get over yourself, you are one in 7 billion. Nobody really gives this much of a crap about you and you need to get over yourself.
    Your a barrel of laughs.. more pressing issues you could be worrying about to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Bono who? :confused:

Should I be offended that I didn't get an invitation? Were they giving out free vegetable seeds to everyone who attended? Any chance he'll be having another one next year, that I can watch out for? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

You really sound like someone that just should be ignored and not invited to any party. I'd say this is more family than friends issues.
    Thank you Dr. Phil, it was a nice gaslight attempt but I will decline your psychoanalysis for now.
    Your a barrel of laughs.. more pressing issues you could be worrying about to be honest.

You are right. Here's a link: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1865 Let us all go here now and have serious discussion.

The modern adult is a child pretty much..

Dye see all the hurlers doing tiktok videos?..
    I despair..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

Question mark is now 2. Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

OP is great craic at parties I reckon :rolleyes:

Load of tosh. Especially the line about how you basically start to disintegrate in your 30's. Men are at their peak when in their 30's to 40's; what comes before that is growing pains and relative uncertainty.

And yes, I am aware that for a lot of men testosterone tends to reduce after 30, fairly understandable I would reckon. I'm 33 and in better shape than I was at 23 and guess what, anybody can do the same in their 30's, 40's or even 50's.

Not pushed about birthdays all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

People celebrating their birthdays, mainly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

2020 - whether we like it or not will forever be remembered for the year that the entire population of the world had to endure Bono's 60th Birthday.

It won’t though.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I have to say there are some miserable chancers on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Once you go past 30 every birthday is a source of great pain and nothing worth celebrating.

Of course, I enjoy celebrating other people's birthdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What is it with mother's day father's day wedding anniversaries Christmas etc?

What is it with people taking sports so seriously? Its not like you are even playing?

And why take golf so seriously? Every weekend ..would you not spend it with your kids instead?

What is it with your life??? Huh? don't you think people have their own lives? Don't you think you are selfish having a life?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

I think it’s a privilege to get older and why not celebrate it? Not everyone is lucky enough to get the chance. Lighten up, you only live once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I remember having a birthday party once, people brought Cake, oh such a joyous occasion, it made me think that the world needs more cake, but less cúnts

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Ekerot wrote: »
    I have to say there are some miserable chancers on this site

Ah your coddin

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

wow, reading that I felt the life being sucked out of me. Are you like that in person?

Tumblr_lv13kyrMIO1qgt0vro1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Birthdays are good for you, statistics show that the more birthdays you have the longer you live ..............

and BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Where was this fuss about Bono’s birthday. I haven’t heard a word about it.

Had my birthday last month, I’m not a birthday person so didn’t miss anything due to Covid but what’s the big deal if people want to use it for a bit of fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Isn't the normal really 18th, 21st, 30th, 50th and 80th?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Was my birthday yesterday. I enjoyed the shït out of it and celebrated basically waving my flute around the place. Still drinking. Enjoy your grumpy existince OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'm with you OP! Birthdays are for children and pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I turned 50 last year.
    The amount of pressure to celebrate it is mental.
    I held fast and did exactly what I wanted - nothing of note - but I'd understand people caving under pressure and having parties.

On the 30s,40s, 50s thing - I reached peak physical fitness in my mid 40s. I might have continued to increase my fitness if it wasn't for (age related!) injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Oh yeah whoops, I hate celebrating another successful year a loved one was on the planet with a couple of drinks. Especially! since we don't get to see each other all that much these days, I mean, Like, what's the point? Why celebrate anything and give people an excuse to rally around each other in what is now a hectic world.

Somehow the ability to enjoy life and celebrate another healthy year on this planet when so many others haven't is a nuisance to the OP. Birthday's are great and are a nice way of celebrating someone who matters in your life. If there's free food and drink all the merrier then!

Also! How is 30 years old getting old?! thought that was more like 65+ years old. Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Oh yeah whoops, I hate celebrating another successful year a loved one was on the planet with a couple of drinks. Especially! since we don't get to see each other all that much these days, I mean, Like, what's the point? Why celebrate anything and give people an excuse to rally around each other in what is now a hectic world.

Somehow the ability to enjoy life and celebrate another healthy year on this planet when so many others haven't is a nuisance to the OP. Birthday's are great and are a nice way of celebrating someone who matters in your life. If there's free food and drink all the merrier then!

Also! How is 30 years old getting old?! thought that was more like 65+ years old. Silly me.

There's a big difference between celebrating other people's lives and celebrating your own existence. I was strictly speaking of people who think their own birthday is a cause for everyone to stop and pay attention to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Jesus. I feel depressed.

Advertisement