Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocaine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

tuxy wrote: »
    How sure am I that most of the people that used head shop would have preferred the more well documented and researched mainstream drugs?
    I'm fairly sure. However there were a small minority that loved drugs like mephedrone from these shops.

Mephedrone was a good buzz and very easily available during the halycon head shop days, you felt really awful the next day though. It was a fraction of the price of coke too, and you didn't need to worry about the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How sure am I that most of the people that used head shop would have preferred the more well documented and researched mainstream drugs?
    I'm fairly sure. However there were a small minority that loved drugs like mephedrone from these shops.

No, how sure are you of the claims you made in your previous post, obviously. They was pretty specific and I'm guessing you can't back then up.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They were nasty. Especially mephedrone. A lot of addicts used to IV it and lost a lot of limbs. Of course, there is the argument they should never have IV'd it in the first place. Lots of it around even after the head shops closed although probably mixed with even nastier stuff.

While heroin addiction is awful it's reasonable safe if you get a known quantity of it with little adulterants.

Many took mephedrone in place of MDMA also, it's a more dangerous substance and the users definitely would have preferred to have MD.
    People also don't want to deal with scummy dealers and that was part of the attraction of the headshops even though many of them were scummy in their own way.

You can still get mephedrone even though it's illegal but it's rare enough as not many people like it over other substances.

No, how sure are you of the claims you made in your previous post, obviously. They was pretty specific and I'm guessing you can't back then up.

I can easily back up the claim that prohibition is not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

While heroin addiction is awful it's reasonable safe if you get a known quantity of it with little adulterants.

Many took mephedrone in place of MDMA also, it's a more dangerous substance and the users definitely would have preferred to have MD.
    People so don't want to deal with scummy dealers and that was part of the attraction of the headshops even though many of them were scummy in their own way.

You can still get mephedrone even though it's illegal but it's rare enough has not many people like it more than other substances.

Mephedrone screwed me up big time and led to me dabbling with gear. I used to leave work and run to a head shop for a gram, in and out of the loo all day. Became a daily habit which proved very expensive. Destroyed inside of my nose too.

I realise above was down to my own inability to control my intake and others could use only recreationly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I don't do cocaine but things are getting out of control with it. I don't see how decriminalisation/legalisation can be ruled out as a solution. With this could come regulation of how much is sold, and a reduction in the crazy violence. I mean I know people are hesitant because it would normalise it, but it's already quite normalised.

I know people think comparison with alcohol is whataboutery too, but alcohol is a very potent and damaging substance that leads to violence. The two are comparable.

Raconteuse wrote: »

I know people think comparison with alcohol is whataboutery too, but alcohol is a very potent and damaging substance that leads to violence. The two are comparable.

I'm not big into drugs but I've done some in the past. Alcohol is only one that came close to killing me. And not just once but a number of times.
    It's a very potent drug and the difference between having a good time and putting yourself in a dangerous situation is small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I can easily back up the claim that prohibition is not working.

I'll bet you can. Wasn't what you was claimed in the initial post though, was it?

Anyway, two strawmans prove my point, and we're done here. Good night.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'll bet you can. Wasn't what you was claimed in the initial post though, was it?

Actually it was

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112275344&postcount=2

• Advertisement

If the government were to legalise cocaine, maybe some other drugs, who exactly would sell it?
    Where would the sellers buy it?
    Would there be quotas of how much people could buy?
    What's to stop dealers from other countries coming here & buying in bulk?

Alcohol, along with Benzodiazepines, are the two worst substances to withdraw from and can be fatal if not done under supervision in a residential treatment centre. Cocaine withdrawal is uncomfortable but not fatal. Small number of deaths with cold turkey opiate withdrawal as a result of dehydration due to vomiting and diarrhoea.

Of above, I would say there are more people with alcohol dependancy than any of the others (maybe not benzos). I honestly believe the articles I've read (can't remember where) saying if alcohol were only discovered today it would be a Class A drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

A question for those in favour of legalization: what do you think of pregnant women doing the legalized drugs under your preference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Absolutely. There was a time where going to the headshop after a few pints in the pub was the norm. Easier than having to arrange coke or whatever drug. A few of my friends have lasting side effects from that time, anxiety attacks etc.

bubblypop wrote: »
    If the government were to legalise cocaine, maybe some other drugs, who exactly would sell it?
    Where would the sellers buy it?
    Would there be quotas of how much people could buy?
    What's to stop dealers from other countries coming here & buying in bulk?

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible when it is illegal globally.
    The shift in drug legislation would need to be an effort from many countries cooperating.

Cocaine could be sold with the same kind of supply as coffee only with the sale to consumers age restricted.
    fash wrote: »
    A question for those in favour of legalization: what do you think of pregnant women doing the legalized drugs under your preference?

The idea of that disgusts me as much as a pregnant woman drinking alcohol. Why do you ask?

two strawman prove my point, and we're done here. Good night.

Eh, does this refer to me? I'm only speaking of my own experience and said as much.

• Advertisement

The same as I think of a pregnant woman drinking or smoking.

Brilliant. Love the idea.

Eh, does this refer to me? I'm only speaking of my own experience and said as much.

I'd ignore him, he can't even acknowledge that the head shops sold unscheduled drugs and that drugs scheduling is a result of prohibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Absolutely. There was a time where going to the headshop after a few pints in the pub was the norm. Easier than having to arrange coke or whatever drug. A few of my friends have lasting side effects from that time, anxiety attacks etc.

I didn't realise this. Naively I thought the headshops were selling comparatively harmless stuff and were threatened out of business by heavy duty drug dealers. Sounds like the heavy duty drug dealers for once did society a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I have been in rehab for booze and I found the other patients who were in for coke addiction sound. Sounder than the alcies, some of who were utter tossers to be frank. (takes one to know one, lol). Now granted, I wasn't seeing them under the influence of the stuff but the stereotype of the out-of-control monster isn't necessarily true. I have never had any interest in cocaine, I always feared it due to my addictive personality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Would you like to expand on your fancy words?

They form a phrase commonly used as a pejorative to criticize the use of clever, but unsound reasoning, especially in relation to moral questions. So go figure.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I didn't realise this. Naively I thought the headshops were selling comparatively harmless stuff and were threatened out of business by heavy duty drug dealers. Sounds like the heavy duty drug dealers for once did society a favour.

It was more the change in law that put headshops out of business afaik. Weirdly, they had only made magic mushrooms illegal a few years before the headshop drugs rose to prominence. The law of the land was slower to catch up to the more harmful drugs than they were to a naturally occurring mushroom.

Its as if they were trying to get rid of a certain class of people or at least start them on the road to heroin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I've heard anyone who takes cocaine and says it's a strong cup of coffee is taking 20% coke and 80% ****e (lidocaine, prilocaine).

There was a girl I knew in a PLC class that claimed to be immune from addiction. She took cocaine, benzos, etc... and thought they were mild. Then she went to South America on a backpacking expidition and took some pure coke there. She quickly got hooked.

Came back, got addicted to strong stimulants as the coke here was ****e and lost her job.

tdf7187 wrote: »

What they sold was anything that was unscheduled by law.
    So some obscured things. Synthetic cannabinoids were popular but these were often more potent and induced more anxiety than regular weed.
    There were also lots of stimulants, similar to speed but with the chemical structure changed enough to make them legal. Also substances that tried to mimic LSD, again just changed enough to make them legal.

Some of the drugs were more potent than the illegal ones and some less so but many had worse side effects. And Some of them were actually fairly harmless and others were very dangerous and because of how new these substances were the user had less understanding of what they were taking.
    Unfortunately the main goal with these head shop drugs was to make them legal, the safety of the user was a lesser concern.

Now there is a blanket ban on all psychoactive substances so people have gone back to the drugs they know best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've heard anyone who takes cocaine and says it's a strong cup of coffee is taking 20% coke and 80% ****e (lidocaine, prilocaine).

There was a girl I knew in a PLC class that claimed to be immune from addiction. She took cocaine, benzos, etc... and thought they were mild. Then she went to South America on a backpacking expidition and took some pure coke there. She quickly got hooked.

Came back, got addicted to strong stimulants as the coke here was ****e and lost her job.

You hear the strangest bits and bobs don't you? And as for all these characters you seem to have known...……..

I've never heard of Cocaine being described as a strong cup of coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Big brain strawman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Very addictive.

Not worth it the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very addictive.

Not worth it the next day.

That’s a contradiction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,517 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The age of ones on it gets younger and younger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The cocaine is so **** in ireland and probably 20% of the real thing in an actual bag like a pp said.

Id be more worried about the likes of people taking ecstasy and MDMA, that's where the real danger lies. Not to mention how messed up it makes you and the way you look when you take too much. And the comedown/skag will literally physically drain your body the next day or two are completely wrote off.

Cocaine is different, you can happily get up the next day and feel energized, your taste buds are fine, your head is not melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Cody montana

That’s a contradiction

How so?

Imo MDMA is pretty benign compared to cocaine when you consider the effects on behaviour, the potential for addiction and the links to criminality.

Is this actually a thing. I must be off in my own land

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well it is funding crime, so one can't take cocaine and pretend they have no responsibility to society when it comes to these drug gangs and the actions they take. It is not nice for a person who takes cocaine to think this, but they are driving the demand and the demand leads to very serious criminal acts to be committed by the gangs.

This is a very circular conversation. A bit like how it feels to chat on coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Imo MDMA is pretty benign compared to cocaine when you consider the effects on behaviour, the potential for addiction and the links to criminality.

E you go home deflated when it runs out

The other **** you would step over your mother to top up

Nasty little drug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This is a very circular conversation. A bit like how it feels to chat on coke.

The poll had been interesting though, since it's been relatively stable at between 2 and 3 to 1 agreeing with the Garda that uses are at least partially responsible for the horrific violence we are seeing. The level against has actually surprised me since I can see just how prevalent coke use is in the country - it wouldn't surprise me if over 50% of 20-35 year olds (the main demographic here, although that had been getting older too) have at least had a small sniff.

That said there are clearly a few users who enjoy coke that have posted on the thread and do not accept that they are participating and driving the chaos. I guess their good time matters more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Bita Coke to keep ya awake for the mcgregor fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The use of crack cocaine in Ireland is increasing particularly in the regional cities. It is far more addictive than the powdered form therefore leading to habitual usage rather than occasional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Drinkers are then of course also responsible for all the deaths caused by it, drunk driving etc.

And a lot of those killed werent involved in criminal gangs, innocent passengers or drivers in other cars.

Cocaine is bad for you and super addictive so that should be enough to put you off but this whole thing is a reach put out by clueless cops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

akelly02 wrote: »
    Bita Coke to keep ya awake for the mcgregor fight

I bet that's why the cops shut down a few functions tonight:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd say the construction sector dwarfs the banking sector these days in coke use and it seems to more GAA than rugby 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

The cocaine is so **** in ireland and probably 20% of the real thing in an actual bag like a pp said.

Id be more worried about the likes of people taking ecstasy and MDMA, that's where the real danger lies. Not to mention how messed up it makes you and the way you look when you take too much. And the comedown/skag will literally physically drain your body the next day or two are completely wrote off.

Cocaine is different, you can happily get up the next day and feel energized, your taste buds are fine, your head is not melted.

Did e for years. Worst next day feeling i ever had was from drink. Skagged you can just smoke a j and feel grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Do people that buy diamonds have blood on their hands?

Are people that buy clothes from Penneys responsible for sweat shops?

If you drink non fair trade coffee do you participate in slavery?

Are people that buy apple products guilty of violating human rights?

• Advertisement

Do people that buy diamonds have blood on their hands?

Are people that buy clothes from Penneys responsible for sweat shops?

If you drink non fair trade coffee do you participate in slavery?

Are people that buy apple products guilty violators of human rights?
    Aye, it's hard to be completely ethical.

As mentioned, the types who are all about the ethical sourcing of things and then hoover a hill of coke up their snouts at weekends are hilarious.

There is some difference though - the things you mention are still jobs in their communities. Jobs with awful, immoral conditions but the folk need them - this has been said by development workers. An improvement in their work conditions is what is needed.

With cocaine though, it is a potentially harmful substance (and I know alcohol is too), it can have terrible effects on behaviour (again, alcohol - same) and look at the surge in violence and criminal activity. So I see your point, but I don't think it's totally comparing like with like.

I'm of the opinion it should be decriminalised/legalised to try and regulate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Aye, it's hard to be completely ethical.

As mentioned, the types who are all about the ethical sourcing of things and then hoover a hill of coke up their snouts at weekends are hilarious.

There is some difference though - the things you mention are still jobs in their communities. Jobs with awful, immoral conditions but the folk need them - this has been said by development workers. An improvement in their work conditions is what is needed.

With cocaine though, it is a potentially harmful substance (and I know alcohol is too), it can have terrible effects on behaviour (again, alcohol - same) and look at the surge in violence and criminal activity. So I see your point, but I don't think it's totally comparing like with like.

I'm of the opinion it should be decriminalised/legalised to try and regulate it.

Fair point and a good insight into it. I think it's more to do with the patronising outlook on those who do coke, and with ethical sourcing in mind, we're all just hypocrites really. Especially the convenient ignoring for a convenient life.

If we (not just Ireland of course) were to boycott products made in foreign lands with terrible working conditions you could also be sure said companies would shape up in that regard as well.

Then also if the goings-on in some of these factories were on Irish shores I'm sure we would see a boycott on those products made in those factories too. But out of sight out of mind, kind of like the drug trade really.

The solution of decriminalisation is staring us in the face.

To be fair, the production of cocaine is often in countries where the poor have few options for employment, and in some cases, are pushed into it's preparation prior to exportation.

The point remains that it's extremely difficult to be ethical about one and not be about the other... which is why I find those talking about hypocrisy are often displaying it themselves.

Whereas those who acknowledge that there's little to be done, and accept that it really doesn't matter where it comes from, are being more honest.

Agreed. It's not the perfect solution but it means safer sources for users, and diminishes the income for criminals. It would depend on whether the government would tax it to pieces like they've done with cigarettes, which would negate most benefits from the change. It also means a revenue that can be used to increase research and development to mitigate the risks within the drug and reduce dependencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Id me more worried about he likes of people drinking alcohol, that's where the real danger lies. Not to mention how messed up it makes you and the way you look when you drink too much. And the hangover will literally physically drain your body the next day or tow are completely wrote off.

Also, my experience of MDMA/ecstasy is far, far better than alcohol. But it still comes with the same caveat, you need to know how much to take. In my heyday, the most I would take in a night was 3 "yokes". There were people doing 20+ in the same time and I never understood it, and I'd imagine they're the ones you're referring to. And in fairness, you can't help the gurning at times! But, and maybe I'm blessed, while others were dying the next day, I'd wake up and eat a fry and be grand, compared to alcohol making a mess of me for up to 2 days with depression and feeling sick.
    I'd say the construction sector dwarfs the banking sector these days in coke use and it seems to more GAA than rugby ��

I'd imagine the medical sector is giving them a run for their money!
    There is some difference though - the things you mention are still jobs in their communities.

As klaz has mentioned, growing the coca plant is the most lucrative business for poor farmers. The government has tried to get them to grow other crops, but when it's a choice between feeding your family due to coca plants or staving due to smaller sales of legal crops, many pick the coca plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Absolutely, but the sad reality is they don't give a ****.

• Advertisement
Advertisement