Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

You could, but the endless deflection won't work. On the inside, every coke head knows what the cycle they're helping. Cry and crow all you want, blame the government and call them every name under the Sun but if you're buying, you're endorsing the whole supply trail and the horrors and misery it entails. But sure, whatever it's the weekend right?

I don't think people are disputing it, the point they're arguing is that there are plenty of other similar scenarios and people fully support them by buying their product as you say. So why is this one any different? I know, because you hear about the repercussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

I'd rather these so called grown adults took some civic responsibility and realised that their selfish hedonism has consequences. Coke isn't going to be made legal in any shape or form, I'm not aware of any jurisdiction that has made it legal.

Imagine if Ireland legalised it tomorrow. Imagine the absolute scum weekend tourists we'd attract *shudder*

I don't think people are disputing it, the point they're arguing is that there are plenty of other similar scenarios and people fully support them by buying their product as you say..

Ah yeah, it's easier to absolve yourself if you rallying and cry about unrelated stuff and draw false comparisons.

If you guys want to compare it to something, let's settle on something solid.

Do you think people were right to boycott goods from South Africa under apartheid? Would ye have hummed and hawwed and said "Ah well sure, but wadabout the way Native Americans are treated... and nuclear waste... it's the government's fault."

Do you think someone who went out of their to actively buy products from that country were endorsing the system? Or were the Dunnes workers on strikes just a bunch of malcontents who should have just gone along with stuff, "cos the government"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone who thinks the stuff should be banned has blood on their hands. THIS is the result of exaggerating the dangers of something and then bannign it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ah yeah, it's easier to absolve yourself if you rallying and cry about unrelated stuff and draw false comparisons.

If you guys want to compare it to something, let's settle on something solid.

Do you think people were right to boycott goods from South Africa under apartheid? Would ye have hummed and hawwed and said "Ah well sure, but wadabout the way Native Americans are treated... and nuclear waste... it's the government's fault."

Do you think someone who went out of their to actively buy products from that country were endorsing the system? Or were the Dunnes workers on strikes just a bunch of malcontents who should have just gone along with stuff, "cos the government"

Where are the false comparisons? By you logic you endorse child labor if you buy clothes that are made in chinese sweat shops etc.

The moral of the story is, people don't fcking care and that's ok.

I don't feel guilty for buying clothes that a 5 year old Asian may have made. I don't feel guilty for playing Blizzard games dispute all the ridiculous things going on there.

Why should I?

• Advertisement

Where are the false comparisons? By you logic you endorse child labor if you buy clothes that are made in chinese sweat shops etc.

I don't feel guilty for buying clothes that a 5 year old Asian may have made. I don't feel guilty for playing Blizzard games dispute all the ridiculous things going on there.

Why should I?

Hold on, please let's settle on the one comparison. The one mentioned in my post which you quoted. Apartheid South Africa.

What is it with people desperate to bring in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Then they shouldn't be shocked when there's dealing outside schools and their area slowly turning to shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

the government created the criminal market by prohibiting drugs amd ignoring the facts that the war on drugs has been an abysmal failure, globally less than 1% of drugs are detected by police, that's some statistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

People trying to deflect criticism of Cocaine use citing enjoyment or use of products by companies such as Apple and Nestle who have dodgy backgrounds are happily avoiding the fact that these companies can be investigated, charged, shamed into action, heavily fined and will want to avoid bad PR.

And when these companies try to avoid sanctions or criticism, people can say right well sod off.

People can choose not to buy an iPhone, not to use Apple products, not to buy Nestle products. It takes a certain amount of effort to be conscious of how far those companies reach extends into different areas, but it can be done.

Of course the argument will be trotted out that because Cocaine is illegal, it’s production is pushed underground and so is the sale and use of, and if only it were legal then it would be safe for everyone.

It would still be a manky drug. It would still be the drug of choice for the vapid, self-obsessed, greedy egomaniac who needs a buzz to feel good about themselves.

That’s not something I want promoted in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

More nonsense. No one questions where the oil came from to keep their electricity going, or what nation suffered a violent supported coup in order to keep the oil coming.

No one thinks of the phone they hold in their hands and the materials that are obtained from places where there are deplorable working conditions. Even worse, where they are made and what the workers go through.

You can apply a magnifying glass of ethics to alot of industries and see that their practices and what they do are horrible. Just drugs are the most easy to go after because drugs.

We facilitate alot of badness in the world by the way we live. We're all just hypocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

You could, but the endless deflection won't work. On the inside, every coke head knows what the cycle they're helping. Cry and crow all you want, blame the government and call them every name under the Sun but if you're buying, you're endorsing the whole supply trail and the horrors and misery it entails. But sure, whatever it's the weekend right?

If a person buys coke are they contributing. Yep. My point is will people ever stop buying cocaine. No. It will never happen. First law of economics supply will meet demand. And there will always be a demand. So the ONLY option left is who supplies it. The government. Or who is currently supplying it. Who would you prefer. Because they are the only 2 options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    People trying to deflect criticism of Cocaine use citing enjoyment or use of products by companies such as Apple and Nestle who have dodgy backgrounds are happily avoiding the fact that these companies can be investigated, charged, shamed into action, heavily fined and will want to avoid bad PR.

And when these companies try to avoid sanctions or criticism, people can say right well sod off.

People can choose not to buy an iPhone, not to use Apple products, not to buy Nestle products. It takes a certain amount of effort to be conscious of how far those companies reach extends into different areas, but it can be done.

Of course the argument will be trotted out that because Cocaine is illegal, it’s production is pushed underground and so is the sale and use of, and if only it were legal then it would be safe for everyone.

It would still be a manky drug. It would still be the drug of choice for the vapid, self-obsessed, greedy egomaniac who needs a buzz to feel good about themselves.

That’s not something I want promoted in society.

And buying a new phone every year that only has one small insignificant difference to the last one is not vapid and self obsessed?

Get over it, the argument of Apple etc. is a perfectly valid argument. Look at the tax they're not paying as a small example. You think there's not alot of people in Ireland who couldn't do with that financial help? Does that stop Apple from doing it? Will people stop buying the new tiny screen that attaches to their nipple or something? No it won't

They don't care if they're examined or whatever they will always go for the cheaper easier solution. That extends to production of materials in countries with less than stellar human right mandates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Just so I have this correct, everyone who buys Penney's clothes etc... are contributing to child slave labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

wiggle16 wrote: »
    If you buy cocaine then you're financing the killings which take place in order to retain control of the trade of the cocaine you buy, whether that's in Ireland, in the countries the drug must transit or in the country of origin.

No. The problem is that the drug is not legal. People want to do it and they will continue to do so. When they tried prohibition in the US there was gang warfare to control it. Did the people who wanted to drink have blood on their hands? Would you stop drinking if the government made it illegal? I would say the holier than thou lot would be on the poitin in no time flat.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've dabbled and partaken in quite a few drugs and illicit substances in my life (and ended up loving alcohol much too much) but cocaine is the one drug I steered well clear of.

Plenty of my friends and acquaintances were/are fond of a snort and it just never seemed to appeal.

Ireland is a country completely awash with the stuff and there have been plenty of casualties, both from users, dealers and those around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

yes

I think you mean yes please ....

....yes yes a thousand times yes please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Drugs are for mugs
    Are you a mug ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MichaelKnee

Anybody who does cocaine is sub-human slime.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Drugs are for mugs
    Are you a mug ?

No, but I have a mug I could fill with drugs ...

Yes yes a thousand times yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Blaming users is lazy

• Advertisement

I'm really only messing, I don't partake myself, never have.

But if someone wants to do it I've no problem, people are big and bold enough to make their own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

How much would a casual user spend on a hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Blaming users is lazy

Who do we blame then? Their need for a high is partially at least causing this mess.

It's quite selfish actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

UrbanFret wrote: »
    How much would a casual user spend on a hit?

€80 per gram approx...will will probably be mixed 1 to 1 if you are lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Who do we blame then? Their need for a high is partially at least causing this mess.

It's quite selfish actually.

There's no "need" as it's actually as addictive as a lot of other drugs on the market (not all of them illegal).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Who do we blame then?

Maybe the lads chopping people up is a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I blame the drug dealers 100%. Or drug pushers as they were known at the height of Dublin Heroin's epidemic in the 80's.

I find it disturbing that lefty style opinions are seeping into general societies psyche. i.e the disadvantaged are forced into criminality such as drug dealing and they are in fact victims of privileged capitalists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement