Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GSM Line Fault HKC

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Does anyone having these issues have central station monitoring through this connection?
    If so, that would be very concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I spoke with HKC this morning and they played down the issue, saying it was a few weeks ago and was rectified after a day or two.
    It's been happening to me on and off since August 4th. Haven't set up the WiFi connection yet so maybe once I do it won't be as big a hassle.

I was worried when I was out of the country as I couldn't connect to the app and my wifi went down as well so couldn't check cctv remotely.
    Had to go old school and call a neighbour to have look around the house!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Listening to lots of engineers who use this it's a lot more widespread and far from sorted.
    Lots of outages this morning also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

3 faults detected this morning from midnight to now. Is there a way to disable the SMS for these types of faults?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Sono

Happy to report this hasn’t happened in over 2 weeks, was driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Sorry for the bump but have had about 8 line faults today. GSM with meteor... Any way to silence alarm panel as don't want it waking kids if it persists in going off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This feels like the most appropriate thread to ask this question.
    Apologies if I'm mistaken.

Have a HKC SecureWatch panel that has a landline modem, changed providers recently and kept getting "line fault"
    So I disabled the modem via service menu.(New Provider is VOIP only)
    Is this the correct way to deal with that issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dubgal22

Does anyone know how to solve the gsm fault getting several a day . I have engineers code.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I had one last night again, 2.07am and lasted till 2.11am last one prior to this was 6th Oct also exactly the same times, its definitely to coincidental that these faults always happen after 2am in the morning and never during the day.I had a number of these during 2018 and again all just after 2am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I had one last night again, 2.07am and lasted till 2.11am last one prior to this was 6th Oct also exactly the same times, its definitely to coincidental that these faults always happen after 2am in the morning and never during the day.I had a number of these during 2018 and again all just after 2am

Have a chat with your installer, your system more than likely needs an upgrade to the latest software.
    Mobile Networks refresh at approx that time of the night, yours appears not to be switching from one network to another.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I use a three sim in mine rather than the HKC app. I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again, as others have posted, if we could turn off the beeping it wouldn’t be that much of an issue as it has happened 3 times in 2019 according to my texts and about 4 times in 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

This has started to happen again recently after a long peaceful break. Only a few so far but getting more and more. Have noticed Eir working in the neighbourhood so wonder if that has something to do with it.

"No signal" status in the GSM module through the comms menu. Probably needs a firmware update at this stage anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭altor

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I use a three sim in mine rather than the HKC app. I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again, as others have posted, if we could turn off the beeping it wouldn’t be that much of an issue as it has happened 3 times in 2019 according to my texts and about 4 times in 2018.

You can turn off the line monitor in the GSM options.
    Only problem with this is you never know if its gone down.

mckildare wrote: »
    This has started to happen again recently after a long peaceful break. Only a few so far but getting more and more. Have noticed Eir working in the neighbourhood so wonder if that has something to do with it.

"No signal" status in the GSM module through the comms menu. Probably needs a firmware update at this stage anyway?

That would be down to the service provider of the sim you are using.
    Have you tried using a vodafone sim in the unit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys, I have a HKC award fitted around 4 years ago. Getting a GSM line fault. Forgot to top up the mobile. I have since topped it up and it's still flashing. Honestly I'd like to disarm the GSM altogether. We never use it and it's hassle trying to remember to top it up. Any idea why mine is still flashing. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, I have a HKC award fitted around 4 years ago. Getting a GSM line fault. Forgot to top up the mobile. I have since topped it up and it's still flashing. Honestly I'd like to disarm the GSM altogether. We never use it and it's hassle trying to remember to top it up. Any idea why mine is still flashing. Thanks in advance for any advice.

To disable you would need engineer access.
    Go into engineer mode, communicators, GSM and disable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 andyroid

Had my first ever GSM line fault after many years without an issue (using the SecureComm service). It started on the morning of the 24th Feb, and the alarm panel has displayed the fault ever since. But, it just seems to have started working again, i.e. fault cleared, everything back to normal.

Anyone else have a similar experience recently or is it just an isolated case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

andyroid wrote: »
    Had my first ever GSM line fault after many years without an issue (using the SecureComm service). It started on the morning of the 24th Feb, and the alarm panel has shown displayed the fault ever since. But, it just seems to have started working again, i.e. fault cleared, everything back to normal.

Just got the same tonight, think I got one last year as well but it corrected itself within an hour or so.

Cant log into app either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

There is an issue currently with the GPRS communication on the Eir mobile network, that maybe the primary network that your communicator is on.

I take it that your communicator is not also connected to your Wifi ?

Had my first ever GSM line fault after many years without an issue (using the SecureComm service). It started on the morning of the 24th Feb, and the alarm panel has displayed the fault ever since. But, it just seems to have started working again, i.e. fault cleared, everything back to normal.

Just got the same tonight, think I got one last year as well but it corrected itself within an hour or so.

Cant log into app either

Eir have had issues the last few days so more than likely it has been connected to that network.
    Issue with a few which has fixed itself today also.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    There is an issue currently with the GPRS communication on the Eir mobile network, that maybe the primary network that your communicator is on.

I take it that your communicator is not also connected to your Wifi ?

No its not, still not back though.

No its not, still not back though.

For some reason the system is staying connected to the Eir network even though this networks GPRS is not working correctly.

If you can down power and power back up the alarm, battery and mains, it will automatically do a rescan of the networks in your area.

altor wrote: »
    For some reason the system is staying connected to the Eir network even though this networks GPRS is not working correctly.

If you can down power and power back up the alarm, battery and mains, it will automatically do a rescan of the networks in your area.

Don't want to touch the alarm box, if I hit the power going to alarm and then switch back on will that be the same?

Don't want to touch the alarm box, if I hit the power going to alarm and then switch back on will that be the same?

No as you would need back up battery disconnected for a full down power.
    You may need your installer to do this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 andyroid

Eir have had issues the last few days so more than likely it has been connected to that network.
    Issue with a few which has fixed itself today also.

Thanks to you and others who have replied and shared your thoughts and experience on this matter. I have had no further issues since the line fault disappeared the night I posted. It was however out for almost an entire week, which seems pretty poor.

I was surprised to learn about a system dependency on a single mobile network. It was my understanding that these GSM-SC cards were using "World Data Sims" that would freely join whatever network was available. So I would have expected if a line fault persisted for more than a specified time when connected to a particular network, that there would be some logic embedded within the card or panel that initiates a scan for another network, and attempts to connect to that instead, and so on until a connection is restored.

Thanks to you and others who have replied and shared your thoughts and experience on this matter. I have had no further issues since the line fault disappeared the night I posted. It was however out for almost an entire week, which seems pretty poor.

I was surprised to learn about a system dependency on a single mobile network. It was my understanding that these GSM-SC cards were using "World Data Sims" that would freely join whatever network was available. So I would have expected if a line fault persisted for more than a specified time when connected to a particular network, that there would be some logic embedded within the card or panel that initiates a scan for another network, and attempts to connect to that instead, and so on until a connection is restored.

Yes it usually does but for some reason the Eir Network stayed up and the panel would stick to the strongest signal it was seeing even tho GPRS was down on Eir network.

GSM line fault for the last 6 days, now this morning everything OK and can log into App.

GSM line fault for the last 6 days, now this morning everything OK and can log into App.

Thanks for the update.

They are trying to port everyone away from the Eir network as still some issues with them.

Thanks for the update.

They are trying to port everyone away from the Eir network as still some issues with them.

Ya cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mic-12345

Iv had this for about 3 or 4 months. GSM line fault every morning.
    Recently the alarm would actual go off at random times and say "GSM line tamper"

Had to get the original engineer to turn off the GSM line feature. Will likely just cancel the sim contract with HKC.

• Advertisement

Mic-12345 wrote: »
    Iv had this for about 3 or 4 months. GSM line fault every morning.
    Recently the alarm would actual go off at random times and say "GSM line tamper"

Had to get the original engineer to turn off the GSM line feature. Will likely just cancel the sim contract with HKC.

That will stop the system looking for the line dropping.
    Did the engineer say what the signal was like in the area using the sim provided?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Did you resolve this, driving us nuts, every few days for past 6 weeks or so, we get a gsm fault at all hours of day and night and it just clears once you silence alarm. Alarm is 6 years old and never had any issues except having to replace main battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Getting hammered with these over the last few days, anyone else?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not us, but we had the alert disabled. Vodafone signal in the middle of our house has gone a bit unreliable since they turned on 5G. It’s like there is a crossing of mobile cells now and alarm unit is near the crossing point. Normal Alerts to app etc still work perfectly without the warning the signal droppped for a moment.

They updated the software a few years ago and they has helped in most cases.

You can also get your installer to turn off the line fault if there is a line issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Thanks Altor - software on the phone or the actual alarm? Any way I can do it myself?

It is the software on the control panel and the GSM that could do with upgrading.

You need engineer access to the control panel to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭fuse

Getting the GSM fault since we changed router setup/location.
    Is this GSM fault related to WiFi?
    Or just the mobile SIM network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

GSM will mean the sim inside the alarm. It may have been an issue for a long time but only become apparent now as the sim is doing all the comms if you changed the router and didn't update the alarm with your new wifi ssid and password. Sometimes that's locked behind an engineer menu but what you can do is change the SSID and password of your new router to the same as the old one. Then your alarm will reconnect to your new router. If GSM fault is still frequent though then I'd get that looked at.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Advertisement