Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Blindboy Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cienciano wrote: »
    In fact in Hardcore History Dan Carlin makes a point of saying he's not a historian, just a history fan.

True, but it is positioned explicitly as a history podcast. It's renowned as such. Incredibly well researched and produced.

Blindboy has never claimed to be these things. It's entirely yer mate in the pub waffling on about his latest interest, and I enjoy it as such. No harm if you don't but it's not a failing of the podcast.

Fair enough if you want 1 hour of entertainment

Indeed. I do :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Blindboy is essentially advocating a vegan diet on todays pod. He has surely covered all bases at this point? The humour etc of the earlier pods is almost completely gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Blindboy is essentially advocating a vegan diet on todays pod. He has surely covered all bases at this point? The humour etc of the earlier pods is almost completely gone now.

I've just downloaded it for the laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

This probably reflects on the pettiness of me as a person but I find myself listening to him just to reflect on how much I can't stand him.

dulux99 wrote: »
    This probably reflects on the pettiness of me as a person but I find myself listening to him just to reflect on how much I can't stand him.

Ah welcome to the world of recreational outrage. May in interest you in a twitter account? Comments section of thejournal.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭onrail

Kingp35 wrote: »
    The humour etc of the earlier pods is almost completely gone now.

I honestly think that the change in tone is reflecting how manic his schedule is it the minute. I know he says that he enjoys the podcasting - but even just thinking of content to fill an hour every week must begin to turn it into a chore at some stage. He even did a pod at Christmas ffs

Would it be the worst idea for him to take a break for a few weeks - recharge the batteries and come back refreshed? Even just release a few of the live-podcasts with minimal intro.

Not even 5 minutes in for "Corsica is a tiny little island off the coast of Italy"

I know the photo of the m50 accident was shared across whatsapp, but blindboy makes it sounds like mass crowds gathered around stopping cars and taking photos. From what I understand, one person did this.

Not even 5 minutes in for "Corsica is a tiny little island off the coast of Italy"

?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Fair enough Corsica is definitely not a "tiny island" but it is off the coast of Italy. I think he can be forgiven for that.
    I know the photo of the m50 accident was shared across whatsapp, but blindboy makes it sounds like mass crowds gathered around stopping cars and taking photos. From what I understand, one person did this.

That actually annoyed me as well as he made it out that countless people were taking videos. He even claimed some of them could be psychopaths!

By the way I completely agree with him that stuff like that should not be sent around WhatsApp but he the hyperbole was in overdrive while trying to make this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ah welcome to the world of recreational outrage. May in interest you in a twitter account? Comments section of thejournal.ie?

I was poking fun at myself there mate. Humour is a great thing. Blindboy used to have it in abundance before he disappeared up his own hole.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    ?

Look at a map!

I actually enjoyed the episode. Didn't do much to annoy me.

My podcast app tracks exactly how far I'm through each podcast. The last seven blindboy podcasts I've turned off between 10 and 15 minutes through it. Says it all really.

Look at a map!

I guess it's not that tiny. All relative though!

A relatively tiny island off the coast of Italy. :)

Goodshape wrote: »
    I guess it's not that tiny. All relative though!

A relatively tiny island off the coast of Italy. :)

Come on, it's massive!

That episode was decent he said at the start that he has no real subject to talk about which are always the ones I liked.

Like a lot of people on this thread, I've hit a bit of a wall with the podcasts after this week.

For me though they're becoming a bit too self indulgent (my beautiful Instagram eyes) and righteous ( Going vegan doing my bit for the planet etc). Each to their own and nothing against veganism if that's what you're into but it just feels like these things are told with a holier than thou tone. Got the same vibe when he was talking about consumerism, conflict minerals, your phone and this podcast has blood on his hands etc.

The constant Brit bashing was another thing that just got a bit repetitive for me, understand the anger and history besides it all the same

I'll caveat that with the fact that this could well be me being a grumpy ****e but

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Started off interesting but jumped the shark some time ago. That spaghetti bolognese mindful vegan tangent this week was the end of the road for me.

Unfortunately he is starting to resemble that toxic bellend Piers Morgan who will jump on the latest craze to make himself seem relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Liana Breezy Noblewoman

Think I've hit my limit. Unsubscribed from the podcast, unfollowed on Twitter. The novelty has completely worn off.

Congratulations for lasting so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'm going to his live podcast in a few weeks in Vicar Street. Got it as a Christmas present.

Might be my last time listening to his podcast. It's just utter rambling lately which is frustrating because his format should be repeatable with a bit of planning.

His podcast on the Stonewall riots was so interesting and all it takes is a few show notes ahead of time to make it work. Now it just seems like he hits record and waffles on about anything that pops into his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I actually went back to the earlier episodes and it worked so much better with humour. In fact, everything the bandits did that was ever good was around humour.

Done with it now, frustrating as I do find him very funny when he wants to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I've just come across this thread, and I just got up to date with the latest pod. I listened to them over the last 5 or 6 months.

I do still enjoy it, but can understand other peoples frustrations too.

Gripes:
    It would be better if, after he's done his research, he has notes in front of him so when he's in the middle of a rant (or the state of flow as he likes to shíte on about) he doesn't get basic stuff wrong.

I'd prefer if he used a mute button when he wants to take a blast of the vape thing. That annoys me tbh, as he talks about how much sound fidelity means to him, then you get the crackle sound in your ears...

He's starting to use words like woke which is a red flag for me.
    I don't mind him speaking about toxic masculinity and stuff like that, but woke sounds too preachy. I'm not saying he's disappeared up his own hóle but he's hovering around the ringpiece..

I'll stay listening as I do enjoy it.
    I love the art podcasts, as i don't know a whole lot about art tbh. I loved the history of music ones too.
    I kinda liked the mental health podcasts. I've (thankfully) never had any issues, but it's good to get an inside take on things like that.

All the humor is gone from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Ah...the Blindboy Podcast...

I listened to this from near the beginning - not all but a lot of them... My favourites would be some of his interviews (the Belfast tour guide springs to mind) & some of his takes on history. I don't agree with a lot of his views but that's all right too...

A friend recommended the book & I persevered for a while but...just didn't get it. That Flann O'Brien style ****e is not my bag. Again no biggie, horses for courses & all that...

It was around this time he started to annoy me tho. He would read out gushing comments about the book every week & make the point that - as an artist - listening to feedback was disruptive as he couldn't let it influence his 'creative flow'...

Then the Irish Times & a few others started publishing more balanced (mildly critical) reviews basically saying that while demonstrating huge creativity & imagination it was a bit all over the place.
    Bang on the money I thought.

Well...did BlindBoy throw a wobbly! The critics could fook off he said, they must be wrong because all his acolytes said de book was fantastic. No mention now of letting *positive* feedback effect his 'creative flow'!

If he could harness some of that creativity a bit better he could be great - both podcasts & writing. However I fear he's too arrogant & deluded ...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I’m quite new to this podcast and really didnt think it would be my thing (And I’m from limerick).. overall I really enjoy it. I’m not a fan of the short stories and the comedy aspects are hit and miss, but I’ve enjoyed the interviews mostly and some of the mental health topics also. While I don’t agree with everything he says, I do at least find him interesting, insightful and original

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

TimesArrow wrote: »
    I’m quite new to this podcast and really didnt think it would be my thing (And I’m from limerick).. overall I really enjoy it. I’m not a fan of the short stories and the comedy aspects are hit and miss, but I’ve enjoyed the interviews mostly and some of the mental health topics also. While I don’t agree with everything he says, I do at least find him interesting, insightful and original

Coincidently, he finds himself interesting, insightful and original too. He also finds himself brilliant, compassionate, incredible, verbose and almost God-like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Listened to this on the recommendation of a colleague. He had some theory that grunge and specifically Nirvana was as a direct result of Charles Manson punching the drummer from the beach boys in the throat. Don't think it's for me.

Going to see him this saturday. Looking forward to it even though I barely listen to the podcast anymore. Any suggestions for a question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Ask him where he gets his ideas from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Ask him to explain flow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm going to his live podcast in a few weeks in Vicar Street. Got it as a Christmas present.

Might be my last time listening to his podcast. It's just utter rambling lately which is frustrating because his format should be repeatable with a bit of planning.

His podcast on the Stonewall riots was so interesting and all it takes is a few show notes ahead of time to make it work. Now it just seems like he hits record and waffles on about anything that pops into his head.

I got free tickets and went with a friend. It was dreadful. He read a chapter from his book which was mediocre but other people found it funny. My bad.

He had three guests who are trying to carve out careers in music. Only one of them performed. The rest of the evening they sat there cranking about how difficult it is to make a living in the music industry.

At least if the other two guests had performed one of their songs... I would have a clue as to whether or not I would like to buy their music, never mind listen to it.

The irony of three musicians on a stage in a music venue, on a Saturday foooking night, bitching about the music industry whilst not performing was not lost on me.

I want my 3 hours back please.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I got free tickets and went with a friend. It was dreadful. He read a chapter from his book which was mediocre but other people found it funny. My bad.

He had three guests who are trying to carve out careers in music. Only one of them performed. The rest of the evening they sat there cranking about how difficult it is to make a living in the music industry.

At least if the other two guests had performed one of their songs... I would have a clue as to whether or not I would like to buy their music, never mind listen to it.

The irony of three musicians on a stage in a music venue, on a Saturday foooking night, bitching about the music industry whilst not performing was not lost on me.

I want my 3 hours back please.

Fair enough if you didn't enjoy it but it wasn't advertised as a music gig. You are judging it for something it wasn't trying to be. Bit of a silly complaint.

Advertisement