Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Blindboy Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

troyzer wrote: »
    Haven't listened in a few months. He started disappearing down the rabbit hole for me and I stopped at the episode about the history of Hip Hop back in September. Utter ****e.

Has it gotten any better since?

What do you want him to talk about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

Beersmith wrote: »
    What do you want him to talk about?

I don't mind him talking about whatever he wants, he just tends to drone on.

He needs a bit more structure maybe with key bullet points written down to guide his thoughts.

Not this endless rambling about what might otherwise be an interesting topic.

Like I said though, I haven't listened since September. It might be better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Goodshape wrote: »
    Talking about something which doesn't interest or amuse exactly me personally this week? What a total bastard alright.

He should just quit now.

Bit of a dumb argument there. He talks about a lot of shít I'm not exactly enthusiastic about, I just said I've given up listening as the show doesn't interest me any more. Nothing about he should quit. I really liked the podcast at the start, I'm just bored of it now
    You know, lots of people listen to lots of podcasts, radio shows and tv shows. We stop listening/watching all the time. People get bored of stuff. Don't take it personal.

I just checked Blindboys twitter. When I listened he insisted he didn't read reviews of his stuff, especially good reviews as it effects how you write. Pinned tweet is a gushingly good review of his book. 5th tweet down is him forwarding an article from The Sun about how good the rubber bandits and in particular Blindboy is. He's talented, but as a lot of people say, a bit up his own arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

He is massively hypocritical but he does have a good take on a number of topics. Even if i don't agree with him a lot of times he can tell a story.

Beersmith wrote: »
    He is massively hypocritical but he does have a good take on a number of topics. Even if i don't agree with him a lot of times he can tell a story.

Yeah, I agree. I see Fin Dwyer is on for a live podcast soon, I'll listen to that, the first one was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Cienciano wrote: »
    Bit of a dumb argument there. He talks about a lot of shít I'm not exactly enthusiastic about, I just said I've given up listening as the show doesn't interest me any more. Nothing about he should quit. I really liked the podcast at the start, I'm just bored of it now
    You know, lots of people listen to lots of podcasts, radio shows and tv shows. We stop listening/watching all the time. People get bored of stuff. Don't take it personal.

I just checked Blindboys twitter. When I listened he insisted he didn't read reviews of his stuff, especially good reviews as it effects how you write. Pinned tweet is a gushingly good review of his book. 5th tweet down is him forwarding an article from The Sun about how good the rubber bandits and in particular Blindboy is. He's talented, but as a lot of people say, a bit up his own arse.

He definitely has a pretentious streak a mile wide. My own theory is he resents the fact that they became famous through what is bascially a novelty comedy song and has been battling to be taken more seriously as a proper "artist" ever since. I do like some of the podcasts even though they can be hit and miss. I think his writing is mostly awful though but I wouldn't be a fan of that surreal nonsense style anyway. Just not for me so I can't blame him for that.

The new one was dire. Same point reiterated for 50 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Blindboy will no doubt be along to enlighten us shortly on his opinion on whether Baby it's Cold Outside and Fairy tale of New York should be banned from the airwaves. I am going to guess that he will want them banned as he might lose points with the Twitter mob otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Blindboy will no doubt be along to enlighten us shortly on his opinion on whether Baby it's Cold Outside and Fairy tale of New York should be banned from the airwaves. I am going to guess that he will want them banned as he might lose points with the Twitter mob otherwise.

Those songs are indicative of neo-liberalism

On his last pod he had a couple of witty moments where was describing a charming cat he came across but then he goes down the rabbit hole of a deeper meaning for helping the cat and I just rolled my eyes. He's insufferable. He was a very funny guy once upon a time and now sees himself as some modern day buddah type figure who has all the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I like the podcast, and Blindboy comes across as a gent. But his constant talking down of the fans who made him famous is a bit annoying - and his view of those fans seems to be from down the bridge of his nose.

I like some of his older songs, even the ones he basically says he's ashamed of. Own your art Blindboy, stop pandering to the permanently outraged.

His views on certain subjects (economics for one) are (in his own words) generally misinformed and might be best left aside. (David McWilliams had ample opportunity to make a show of one or two of his views/suggestions, but kept shtum instead, very admirable - and is one of the best blindboy podcasts I reckon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Beans_On

Unfortunately its getting very repetitive alright.. I actually enjoy the Live podcasts better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

Another fan that has grown tired of it. I skim through them now. He can start off with something that captures me but, a few drags more of his vape and I'm gone. Interesting to see a good few saying the same - for months now.

I do respect a lot of what he says and talks about but the format of him on his own with a sock over a microphone does not warrant an hour as often as he thinks it does. He might have enough financial backing to **** the begrudgers he doesn't read about, but sure kunts will be kunts

Yurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Liana Breezy Noblewoman

deep_dish wrote: »
    Another fan that has grown tired of it. I skim through them now. He can start off with something that captures me but, a few drags more of his vape and I'm gone. Interesting to see a good few saying the same - for months now.

I do respect a lot of what he says and talks about but the format of him on his own with a sock over a microphone does not warrant an hour as often as he thinks it does. He might have enough financial backing to **** the begrudgers he doesn't read about, but sure kunts will be kunts

Yurt
    Yeah I'm in the same boat, pretty much stopped listening entirely. Gave it another go lately and then minutes in he goes on and says something ridiculous and I just turn it off. I See a new one out today about emotions and I just couldn't listen to it if I wanted to.

Part of me wishes he'd stop everything and go back to doing skits with Chrome.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, pretty much stopped listening entirely. Gave it another go lately and then minutes in he goes on and says something ridiculous and I just turn it off. I See a new one out today about emotions and I just couldn't listen to it if I wanted to.

Same. The description of the new one looks awful. There are nuggets of gold in there but its become too repetitive and preachy. Live podcasts are decent. They're actually funny.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Today's podcast was self-indulgent beyond belief. All about Anger and his take on how people should deal with it etc.

He's losing the run of himself for sure.

Christ, just the part in bold is enough to make me glad I unsubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm still enjoying the weekly ramble :)

Christ, just the part in bold is enough to make me glad I unsubscribed.

:p:p:p

You sound the stoic male that could use advice on emotions

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

I enjoyed that episode. The bit about my partner **** off while thinking about the their friend was hard to listen to but I soldiered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I decided to give the podcast another go because I like Blindboy on Twitter. I'd tuned out at Spike Lee because I found that interview so hopelessly fawning, and I felt Bb sounded a little deluded in thinking he was opening Spike Lee's eyes to what's really going on.

Anyway, although I'm about 2 decades too old, and the wrong gender, I tried to listen to the ep on Edward Bernays but Bb did his usual thing of being hazy on the facts (he kinda thought Bernays was born in 1900 - even though he worked for the US president during WW I... which ended in 1918) that I ended up switching off.

I get that he's introducing young men to emotional honesty and being open about mental health, and he deserves accolades for that, but these rambling monologues about topics that can easily be researched do him no favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Meh I still enjoy it. I suppose for most it's situational listening. As in j wouldn't listen to any podcast at home or anywhere else just to busy.

But when commuting I listen to podcasts it takes the time away and I like to listen to his ramblings . Its unobtrusive and just like a conversation.

Haven't gone off it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭onrail

I decided to give the podcast another go because I like Blindboy on Twitter. I'd tuned out at Spike Lee because I found that interview so hopelessly fawning, and I felt Bb sounded a little deluded in thinking he was opening Spike Lee's eyes to what's really going on.

Anyway, although I'm about 2 decades too old, and the wrong gender, I tried to listen to the ep on Edward Bernays but Bb did his usual thing of being hazy on the facts (he kinda thought Bernays was born in 1900 - even though he worked for the US president during WW I... which ended in 1918) that I ended up switching off.

I get that he's introducing young men to emotional honesty and being open about mental health, and he deserves accolades for that, but these rambling monologues about topics that can easily be researched do him no favours.

Funnily, it's the ramblings about random topics which interests me the most. Sure the facts are a little hazy, but realistically, when would the average listener research such a topic?

Likewise, his recent pod on the development of US-Japan relations (and eventual effects on Japanese electronics) was hazy and hot-takey but it's all stuff I knew nothing about and would never ever have researched!

Excellent listening on the whole.

onrail wrote: »
    Funnily, it's the ramblings about random topics which interests me the most. Sure the facts are a little hazy, but realistically, when would the average listener research such a topic?

Likewise, his recent pod on the development of US-Japan relations (and eventual effects on Japanese electronics) was hazy and hot-takey but it's all stuff I knew nothing about and would never ever have researched!

Excellent listening on the whole.
    Well, if the facts are a little hazy it's pointless to listen to it imho. The average listener wouldn't research it, that's blindboys job if he's going to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well, if the facts are a little hazy it's pointless to listen to it imho. The average listener wouldn't research it, that's blindboys job if he's going to talk about it.

Fair enough if you think it's pointless but I must have missed the part where he claimed to be a qualified historian, psychotherapist, or anything other than a creative eejit from Limerick doing entertaining hot takes with a bag on his face.

Was that before or after the many many times he's said not to take his waffle too seriously and that he only speaks from his own experience?

You don't have to like it but it is Blindboy Boatclub, not Hardcore History or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭onrail

Yeah, you miss my point completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I dunno, he's not too shy about speaking his mind in the public sphere about a variety of subjects and he seems happy enough for people to take what he has to say seriously when he wants, so it's a bit convenient for him that he can pick and choose when he wants to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

Arghus wrote: »
    I dunno, he's not too shy about speaking his mind in the public sphere about a variety of subjects and he seems happy enough for people to take what he has to say seriously when he wants, so it's a bit convenient for him that he can pick and choose when he wants to be taken seriously.

To be fair, he clearly starts and ends his hot takes with a disclaimer that it's a hot take and he could be talking bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Arghus wrote: »

Its entertainment, dont take it seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

troyzer wrote: »
    To be fair, he clearly starts and ends his hot takes with a disclaimer that it's a hot take and he could be talking bollocks

But even a hot take is supposed to be based on facts. Like, it's an opinion you've formed from what you know about a topic. But if the facts are lacking, it kinda blows a hole in that opinion, doesn't it?
    The thing is, we all come up with hot takes all the time. It's just that most of us air them in the pub where if we're wrong, somebody will point this out. Or test the theory with information they have. That may not be the end of the theory - it may just need tweaking, or perhaps other facts will actually shore it up.
    When it's just Blindboy talking, that process doesn't happen.
    I just don't like the format, I guess.
    I heard a bit of Russell Brand the other day, I actually enjoyed it, and I thought I'd give BB another go, and it blew up in my face. I've learned my lesson: I'll get my fill of the Rubber Bandits on Twitter.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    Fair enough if you think it's pointless but I must have missed the part where he claimed to be a qualified historian, psychotherapist, or anything other than a creative eejit from Limerick doing entertaining hot takes with a bag on his face.

Was that before or after the many many times he's said not to take his waffle too seriously and that he only speaks from his own experience?

You don't have to like it but it is Blindboy Boatclub, not Hardcore History or whatever.

In fact in Hardcore History Dan Carlin makes a point of saying he's not a historian, just a history fan.
    Fair enough if you want 1 hour of entertainment, but surely getting basic facts right isn't too much to ask?

Advertisement