Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Blindboy Podcast

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

More of the same from Blindboy again this week. I turned off after half an hour when he started into part 3 of his CBT discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kingp35 wrote: »
    More of the same from Blindboy again this week. I turned off after half an hour when he started into part 3 of his CBT discussion.

I just read the title and deleted it. Literally didn't listen to a second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I'm unfortunately of a similar way of thinking to a lot of the previous posters. Used to love this podcast, but it has becomes stale recently.

In the last one, before he went in to the CBT discussion (I also turned off at that point), he was rambling about how he didn't enjoy the Rubberbandits for a time around "Horse Outside" and didn't like the audience they were attracting. He spent what felt like 10 minutes going on about it .... again. He has covered that story at least twice in previous podcasts.

Shame.. hope he picks it back up again soon.

I fúcking hate when blindboy goes on about how creative he is, comes across as condescending and arrogant to me. So when his 15 minute build up on having uncomfortable relationships with things (which I agree with) like hash and drink, and he gets to his unconfortable relationship with video games and blamed it on his creativity, I said "fúck it, that's it". Unsubscribed. I can't listen to another word about "creative flow".

He might have to consider being a bit more structured as he's repeating himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cienciano wrote: »
    Then 2 on disco and something else after that that wasn't good. I really enjoyed it up to that.
    I can't listen to another word about "creative flow".

Heh – those are among my favourite of his episodes / talking points :P. The disco / music episodes in particular were very good.

Each to their own I guess :)

I enjoyed the psychology ones personally. I knew about a lot of it already, but there was some new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I see he took to Twitter to address people not liking the psychology episodes, saying it was mostly men and that's the issue as men don't want to listen to it because it's too close to home, ffs while I can agree that make mental health is a big problem some of us clearly were just bored and weren't bothered to listen to it.

I see he took to Twitter to address people not liking the psychology episodes, saying it was mostly men and that's the issue as men don't want to listen to it because it's too close to home, ffs while I can agree that make mental health is a big problem some of us clearly were just bored and weren't bothered to listen to it.

Yeah, I have no problem with him taking about it before, but these shows were just not interesting to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I didn't see that but I like the podcast even less now! I used to agree with a low of what he says but he's come out with an awful lot of rubbish lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I would have defended Blind Boy to the hilt up until recently, but having listened to his pod a few times I find myself getting a bit tired of him.

There was a long period of time when I thought he did a good job of talking absolute sense and I respected him a lot for it, but lately he seems increasingly fond of his own voice and he lacks precision in what he says - he relies a lot on generalisations when making judgements, not all the time, but enough to be noticable - I think he's getting a bit lazy and beginning to see himself as a bona-fide spokesperson for all sorts of social issues. I don't necessarily disagree with him fundamentally on a lot of them, but I find myself cringing every now and again at his ham-fisted analogies and increasing over-simplification of complex issues and events.

Ah I think he's just one lad from Limerick with a bag on his head though. And he'd be the first to remind you of that in fairness.

Not saying you have to enjoy it! But maybe you're expecting too much from the thing if you're expecting pearls of unquestionable wisdom every time he opens his mouth.

Plenty of it is just silly waffle. Some eejitry. Some pearls of wisdom. And even if he is simplifying a few complex issues, at least he's talking about them. Too many damn US (or even UK) content in my podcast list – great to have someone talking about the issues a little closer to home, even if it's not all 100% totally amazingly on-point all the time.

And I enjoy the eejitry too. Good craic. No harm.

If he was still doing waffly stories about his otter friends, I'm sure that'd be wearing thin 12 months later too. Grand that he's mixing it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I fúcking hate when blindboy goes on about how creative he is, comes across as condescending and arrogant to me.

He definitely has a big pretentious streak in him. Think it's mostly harmless but you would find yourself rolling your eyes on occasion while listening to him.

New episode is very good. They actually sorted decent sound for a live podcast. Some economist explains the housing crisis amongst other things to my small, obtuse brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

New episode is very good. They actually sorted decent sound for a live podcast. Some economist explains the housing crisis amongst other things to my small, obtuse brain.

David Mcwilliams you mean?! Yeah, that was a great podcast

David Mcwilliams you mean?! Yeah, that was a great podcast

Never heard of him before

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

I love his psychology episodes, ive had anxiety and bouts of deep depression since I was very young and haven't had any support from family or friends, psychotherapy is very expensive and no one in the media talks about mental health besides telling people to 'go talk to someone' or 'think positive' which is really unhelpful for people with bad mental health, particularly if you don't have a supportive network or the means to get counseling from a properly trained professional.
    In Blindboys podcasts he breaks psychology down so its understandable. ive noticed my mental health, depression and anxiety issues have slightly improved since listening to his podcasts and thats because he explains things so well, I learned basic coping techniques and gained a deeper understanding of my depression, anxiety and why it plays a part in human behavior. He also mentions his social anxiety and certain behaviors he had which were caused by it, this helped me become aware of my behaviors as many of them were the very same as things he mentioned and as a result of that I stopped doing them, not even consciously, it just made me aware of them, and through explaining what causes these behaviors they just stopped happening organically.
    Its been a big help to me as im sure it has been to allot of other people.

The best thing about his podcasts is that he covers such a big range of topics theres something for everyone so I wouldnt write him off because a handful didnt click with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Liana Breezy Noblewoman

Didn't realise this had a thread.

I skipped all the CBT episodes.

I'll sound like a prick for this, I enjoyed the David MacWilliams podcast with the exception of the woman who got up at the end and spoke all about her own issues and praised Blindboy. She sounded like she was absolutely flaming from the second she opened her mouth.

Didn't realise this had a thread.

I skipped all the CBT episodes.

I'll sound like a prick for this, I enjoyed the David MacWilliams podcast with the exception of the woman who got up at the end and spoke all about her own issues and praised Blindboy. She sounded like she was absolutely flaming from the second she opened her mouth.

You prick :pac:

Blindboy saying that anytime he walks into a cocktail bar now that everyone is drinking Zombies and that now a two zombie limit has been set all because of his influence, followed by an apology to the bartender's of these cocktail bars.

Get your head out of your arse ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Blindboy saying that anytime he walks into a cocktail bar now that everyone is drinking Zombies and that now a two zombie limit has been set all because of his influence, followed by an apology to the bartender's of these cocktail bars.

Get your head out of your arse ffs.

It was fairly light hearted in fairness to him, and the rest of the podcast was good. Get over yourself.

Latest pod is part 4 of his cognitive behaviour series. I didn't bother downloading it.

Latest pod is part 4 of his cognitive behaviour series. I didn't bother downloading it.
    I won't be either, I wouldn't mind but he's been on a roll since the last CBT one ended.

Haven't listened to the last few. Shine has gone

He tweeted if he should do another CB one and everyone was replying yes. I don't regret my decision to unsubscribe.

Talking about something which doesn't interest or amuse exactly me personally this week? What a total bastard alright.

He should just quit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Anyone been to the Vicat St podcasts? Does he meet people after at all?

Goodshape wrote: »
    Talking about something which doesn't interest or amuse exactly me personally this week? What a total bastard alright.

He should just quit now.
    No opinions allowed apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Listened to the latest pod and he has disappeared so far up into his own hole it's actually staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

Haven't listened in a few months. He started disappearing down the rabbit hole for me and I stopped at the episode about the history of Hip Hop back in September. Utter ****e.

Has it gotten any better since?

Advertisement