Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

West Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Good podcast. Contrary to what a poster has said above, I actually think the people of west Cork came across quite endearingly.

For sure, the mention of score-settling didn't reflect well on the community, but I think that's something that would happen anywhere, just a human thing.

Funnily enough, I was completely unaware of this case. It was strange to hear the narrator say "Ian Bailey is a household name in Ireland". He certainly wasn't in my household.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Anyone who has every lived in a small community knows that there is a collective group think about things so if the community is reflected in a bad light then everyone is reflected in a bad light and they seek to discover what that is and root it out, there is gossip, everyone knows everybody else's business, people are kind because they know you in these one horse towns.

I thought that was reflected very well, I thought they did their homework and I was interested as I knew the case name but not the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I often feel like I'm true crime saga-ed out, there's just so many out there, but I found West Cork to be one of the best that I've listened to, despite knowing quite a lot of the story to begin with.

The show was obviously made with an international audience in mind, so the manner in which they reveal Ian Bailey's central role will no doubt stun many from abroad who listen to it.

In a sense the material is such dynamite and the cast of characters are so interesting that I think it would have been next to impossible for them to truly make a bad podcast series, but it is an excellently researched and produced show. Even if, maybe - if I was really nitpicky - some of the material in the latter episodes could have been condensed if they really had to get it under ten episodes. Personally, I found it all interesting, but I could understand if it was repetitive for some.

I don't know how I truly feel about Ian Bailey after listening to it. He seems to me to be an enormous ego-maniacal arsehole. And I have no doubt that if I was a local cop I'd also have been fairly certain he did it too: the man was going around joking about having done it for pity's sake.

But yet, no hard evidence and there's no doubt he was the victim of some serious skulduggery - so, yes, to call him the victim of a witchunt wouldn't be too far off the mark. But yet, the more time I spent listening to him the more I disliked him, even if I found him somewhat fascinating. Maybe he was the victim of a grave injustice but I think one of the contributors hit the nail on head perfectly when he said that it isn't so much that Ian Bailey's life has been taken away from him; being Ian Bailey, number one suspect, has become his life; it's given him the chance to be somebody and there's no doubt in my mind that he craves that notoriety.

donalh087 wrote: »
    An earlier poster said something about West Cork being full of weirdos. And to listen to the podcast you would agree. All I'm saying is that is a great, vibrant, artistic, creative and fun place too - which is why the murder was more shocking. It is the story of a murder in a community and I think the community is misrepresented.

I didn't get a sense of that at all from listening to the podcast. I think, in general, it paints the area of West Cork in a very positive light - it's abundantly clear from listening to the show that the murder was something totally at odds with life there. Sure, they even have Sophie Toscan Du Plantier's son speaking about how much he enjoys coming back to that part of the world.

It's also obvious from listening to the show that the area is clearly a vibrant and creative place - some many of the contributors they talk too are artists or craftspeople or poets, but they also had regular ordinary folks, like the publican, giving their opinions too.

I think the pod was very fair to the area and to it's people. To be honest, I felt like I'd like to see it for myself after listening: it sounded great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Finished this during the week.
    It's a good podcast for the most part, a little muddy in parts and slightly drawn out but overall well worth a listen. If I wasn't from this country then I'm not sure if I'd find it as interesting.

It really is a bizarre case, mainly with how the police handled it. Brady is a strange individual and some of his behaviour doesn't paint him in a good light.

I would have always thought that Brady was guilty but with the incompetence of the gardai they botched the investigation. On the other hand with how corrupt the gardai are it's easy to see how they might have gone after Brady as an easy target. You only have to look at what they tried to do to maurice mccabe to see that.

Amazing that no forensics were found which makes it unlikely to ever be solved.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Finished this during the week.
    It's a good podcast for the most part, a little muddy in parts and slightly drawn out but overall well worth a listen. If I wasn't from this country then I'm not sure if I'd find it as interesting.

It really is a bizarre case, mainly with how the police handled it. Brady is a strange individual and some of his behaviour doesn't paint him in a good light.

I would have always thought that Brady was guilty but with the incompetence of the gardai they botched the investigation. On the other hand with how corrupt the gardai are it's easy to see how they might have gone after Brady as an easy target. You only have to look at what they tried to do to maurice mccabe to see that.

Amazing that no forensics were found which makes it unlikely to ever be solved.

the forensics team couldn't even find the place and it pissed rain all night, Marie farrell is the oddest person, just making **** up, you couldnt trust a word she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

irishgeo wrote: »
    the forensics team couldn't even find the place and it pissed rain all night, Marie farrell is the oddest person, just making **** up, you couldnt trust a word she said.

Marie Farrell was the biggest surprise for me from that podcast. Seems to be a compulsive liar. So many wild stories, and refusing to name the person she was in the car with even in court was just plain odd.

One thing that baffles me was she was found in her nightdress 100 metres from the house with laced up boots. I just can't figure out the scenario.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    One thing that baffles me was she was found in her nightdress 100 metres from the house with laced up boots. I just can't figure out the scenario.

Yep. What got me by end was just how unclear it all was. It is desperate for the family to not have any closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Been hearing about this case for years but never really followed all the press coverage in much detail. Even the other day, Ian Bailey was on RTÉ news regarding an ongoing defamation court case relating back to this murder.

It’s such a long-running thing, like background noise, and never at the forefront of my attention. So, only knowing some vague details and interested to listen to an Irish-based Serial-like podcast, I signed up for the Audible trial and got this downloaded. I’ve since run through the 13 episodes in a few days.

It’s as good as any of the best-known examples of this type of journalism. The hosts have access to practically everyone involved who is still alive, a huge amount of time spent with Ian Bailey himself and I think they did a reasonable job of covering off all the angles and presenting the case as it is, without trying to colour the story to throw in gimmicky twists.

No one comes out well out of this - the Garda screwed up badly along the way, Bailey relishes the fame of being the prime murder suspect, the key witness seems to be either easily led or a compulsive liar, the residents of Schull come over as generally strange folk with petty scores to settle. It’s a really interesting depiction, though I'm sure if you're familiar with the place (like a poster above), it might be bit out there compared to reality.

Highly recommended, especially for anyone like me who wants to understand the case after hearing about it for so many years. Feel brutal for the family though - it would be like a hole in your heart after this many years.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Finished this today
    really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Listening to this now. Just done 6 episodes.

Find it intriguing, well done and good research by the presenters. (Except to need to learn how to pronounce Schull, it's not Skull:p).

Definitely learnt a lot more about the case than I knew before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Article about the couple behind the West Cork Podcast.
    Everybody is talking about ‘West Cork’, the podcast delving into the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier. Marjorie Brennan spoke to the couple behind it, and the backlash they had feared as they return to the area this summer for the literary festival.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Was Marie Farrell even out driving that night? I feel like everything she said is a lie. Like when she says the man standing across the road from her shop was wearing a beret, it seems like she's trying to hint the guy was French... but actually I don't think I've ever seen a French person wear a beret. It's like saying Irish people wear Aran jumpers.

Of course, maybe she is telling the truth and she's a victim in this like Ian Bailey. But maybe neither are victims. The story is so puzzling.

The impression I got from her is that she was one who had a passing relationship with the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know how I truly feel about Ian Bailey after listening to it. He seems to me to be an enormous ego-maniacal arsehole. And I have no doubt that if I was a local cop I'd also have been fairly certain he did it too: the man was going around joking about having done it for pity's sake.

But yet, no hard evidence and there's no doubt he was the victim of some serious skulduggery - so, yes, to call him the victim of a witchunt wouldn't be too far off the mark. But yet, the more time I spent listening to him the more I disliked him, even if I found him somewhat fascinating. Maybe he was the victim of a grave injustice but I think one of the contributors hit the nail on head perfectly when he said that it isn't so much that Ian Bailey's life has been taken away from him; being Ian Bailey, number one suspect, has become his life; it's given him the chance to be somebody and there's no doubt in my mind that he craves that notoriety.

+1 He comes across as a strange character alright and seems to live for the limelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

What happened to the gate?

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Can you clarify what you mean?

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Can you clarify what you mean?

The gate beside which Mme du Plantier was allegedly brutally murdered was allegedly 'covered in blood'. This gate was removed and it has disappeared. Apparently, no-one knows where it is, where it went and/or who removed it.

I've always felt that this case had the smell of a police cover up. Hopefully someday we'll find out the truth but I somehow doubt it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

The gate beside which Mme du Plantier was allegedly brutally murdered was allegedly 'covered in blood'. This gate was removed and it has disappeared. Apparently, no-one knows where it is, where it went and/or who removed it.

As in, the police took it for forensics and it disappeared from there, or on day 2 of the investigation or whatever, someone snuck to the murder scene and stole the gate? The latter seems weird as I assume there would have been a gard present at the crime scene 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    As in, the police took it for forensics and it disappeared from there, or on day 2 of the investigation or whatever, someone snuck to the murder scene and stole the gate? The latter seems weird as I assume there would have been a gard present at the crime scene 24/7.

It was taken for evidence as there was blood on it and it's since disappeared, as well as, among other things, Ian Bailey's overcoat. GSOCs recent report mentioned it.

RockDesk wrote: »
    It was taken for evidence as there was blood on it and it's since disappeared, as well as, among other things, Ian Bailey's overcoat. GSOCs recent report mentioned it.

I don't recall seeing or hearing that any evidence was gleaned from the gate or that it was ever subjected to a detailed forensic analysis, but I may have missed it in all the books and reports since.

Suffice it to say that any self-respecting forensic scientist would have gone over that gate with a fine tooth comb. If it was not analysed, its a disgrace. If it was analysed, then if any evidence had been found that implicated either Ian Bailey or Jules Thomas, AGS would have trumpeted that from the rooftops.

The gate and what happened to it is crucial IMHO. Perhaps the French prosecution in absentia will deal with it. I hope they do.

I don't recall seeing or hearing that any evidence was gleaned from the gate or that it was ever subjected to a detailed forensic analysis, but I may have missed it in all the books and reports since.

Maybe it went missing before hand?!!

Before what?

Detailed forensic analysis.

Could be. That's the problem. We just don't know where an apparently crucial piece of evidence went and/or what was done with it.

I don't know how the French solicitor can read the GSOC report and think they have a strong case to proceed with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement