Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Casefile

• 25-04-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's about time it got it's own thread, because we all love it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

What is it?

Will I love it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

What is it?

Will I love it?

Just subbed to it in Pocket Casts. Never heard of it myself!

But along the same genre, I did like the first series of Serial. Didn't really follow the second and didn't like S-Town (thought the contact was acting it up far too much).

http://casefilepodcast.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What is it?

Will I love it?

True crime stories told well, in great detail, with little extraneous horseshit and without managing to feel exploitative and sanctimonious - which a lot of other true crime podcasts can't manage to do.

Lot of love for it here on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Jen Pan....nuts faking college for like 4 years. It have been so easy to repeat the failed subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Arghus wrote: »
    True crime stories told well, in great detail, with little extraneous horseshit and without managing to feel exploitative and sanctimonious - which a lot of other true crime podcasts can't manage to do.

Lot of love for it here on this forum.

Sounds good, I'll give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It's superb. The narrator is brilliant, he keeps the exact same tone for each podcast, he just goes on fact and never chimes in with his own opinion. The level of detail is superb and they do a great job in making each case very easy to follow and understand. There is also a very good variation of cases, some are incredibly grim (The Snowtown Murders for instance) but others are fascinating. The Jennifer Pan episode and The Catholic Mafia episode felt like he was reading out a plot for a Hollywood film or crime series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Good idea for it's own thread.
    Are we allowed discuss openly? As in, we can say spoilers etc?

Jennifer Pan. WTF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Its brilliant - class from start to finish. I have been with it from the start as i always search for new True Crime podcasts on ITunes.

My favourite episodes are:
    The Yorkshire Ripper
    Russell Street
    The North Hollywood Shootout
    The Somerton Man (mindf*ck!)
    The Claremont Serial Killer
    The Catholic Mafia (Very apt for Ireland right now!)
    Mr. Cruel (so scary)
    Peter Falconio (The move Wolf Creek is based on this story!)
    Port Arthur
    The Moors Murders

Its just an amazing podcast - the narrator has the perfect voice. The researchers and producers get the information and delivery just right everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭beans

The ambient background music and narrator's delivery are what make it for me. It's perfect. Such a great production.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

noveltea wrote: »
    Jen Pan....nuts faking college for like 4 years. It have been so easy to repeat the failed subject.

That was a great one.

Wasn't expecting that outcome after listening to the first few minutes with the 911 call!

The long police interview tapes played in full were really good, one guy
    questioning in particular, starts at 1hr 31minutes in, Detective Slade. He keeps at
    her and at her. "You might as well tell us, the guilt won't go away". The
    recording is 20 minutes long, but is riveting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Tina Watson was my fav so far, but I skipped a lot of the kid killer ones. With smallies of my own just cant listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Defo my fav podcast. Love the Aussie accent and no nonsense approach. He just gets on with it and tells a good story.

pc7 wrote: »
    Tina Watson was my fav so far, but I skipped a lot of the kid killer ones. With smallies of my own just cant listen to them.
    Definitely don't listen to the Moors ones. They're the worse for that.

I went back and listened to Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman one because it was only half an hour. Both were 10 years old, you probably remember photos of them both in Manchester United jerseys on the news. But worth a listen just to hear the most ridiculous scenario that the killer Ian Huntley came up with for killing them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh I remember it, two little dotes in their football jerseys :( it's one I've skipped. Don't need to be listening to that going to sleep!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I shouldn't like this podcast. The narrator is from Australia and the whole premise is delivering a straight up account of what happened. Neither part of that would normally appeal to me.

It's a great show though. Extremely professional and with a huge amount of back round research. Compelling.

I'm still holding out for Patreon offering a €9.99 subscription to all of these wonderful new podcasts that are emerging.

No episode this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

pc7 wrote: »
    No episode this week :(

Taking a break because next week's is longer than normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Do wanna be repeating myself from the last thread but I do finding myself skipping the ones involving kids as I've two of my own.
    I actually listened to the Jaycee lee and started crying at the end of it.
    Some of the recorded 999 calls or tv interviews of killers is chilling.

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Do wanna be repeating myself from the last thread but I do finding myself skipping the ones involving kids as I've two of my own.

Same here, just can't go there. Same with most of the crime podcasts I listen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

I don't know if enjoyed is the right word but I like the Tina Watson case. My boyfriend does alot of scuba diving so I found it interesting. Was looking at the pictures after listening to the case. Do you think he did it? Turned off the air and let her die? You would wonder why if they said he had nothing to gain from it and was financially secure himself. I know he tried to get her to change her life insurance.

• Advertisement

noveltea wrote: »
    I don't know if enjoyed is the right word but I like the Tina Watson case. My boyfriend does alot of scuba diving so I found it interesting. Was looking at the pictures after listening to the case. Do you think he did it? Turned off the air and let her die? You would wonder why if they said he had nothing to gain from it and was financially secure himself. I know he tried to get her to change her life insurance.

I think he did it - just from how he acted. I mean they could prove it all with his dive watch - that he ascended slowly etc.

Horrible way to go. Poor woman.

At the start I was 100% sure, then waivered thinking maybe he wasn't experienced and that was it but then went back to guilty. Think he was a control freak, his way or no way. Amazingly well done by casefile, poor girl and her family.

Pidae.m wrote: »
    I actually listened to the Jaycee lee and started crying at the end of it.
    Some of the recorded 999 calls or tv interviews of killers is chilling.
    The transcript of the audio from the girl being killed by ian brady and myra hindley was nasty.

beans wrote: »
    The ambient background music and narrator's delivery are what make it for me. It's perfect. Such a great production.

I tried to listen to a few at the beginning of the series, but compared to the production and polish of the recent episodes it's like chalk and cheese. The narration / script got much clearer and more concise.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Wasn't expecting that outcome after listening to the first few minutes with the 911 call!
    I foolishly googled her name while listening and got the "twist" spoiled for me in a few news reports / headlines that appeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Ya I listened found that too & ended up going back listening to the first few episodes last.
    me_irl wrote: »
    I tried to listen to a few at the beginning of the series, but compared to the production and polish of the recent episodes it's like chalk and cheese. The narration / script got much clearer and more concise.

I foolishly googled her name while listening and got the "twist" spoiled for me in a few news reports / headlines that appeared.

The narrator has started to 'voice act' some quotes from the newest episode..not sure it really works or that its even needed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Oh no! The same consistent tone of his delivery was a major selling point!

Arghus wrote: »
    Oh no! The same consistent tone of his delivery was a major selling point!

He only did it for 4 or 5 times in the first hour or so, became like less frequent as it went on...thankfully

siblers wrote: »
    The narrator has started to 'voice act' some quotes from the newest episode..not sure it really works or that its even needed
    He only did it for 4 or 5 times in the first hour or so, became like less frequent as it went on...thankfully

Agree with you on this.

To me it had the opposite of its desired effect, took me out of the event completely.

EDIT: Actually, just to warn you that there's another "acted line" that made me jump a mile! (at 1hr 44mins and 30seconds or thereabouts...)

(^ not sure I should spoiler that!)

• Advertisement

He has done it a few times in previous episodes - i guess its an effort to break the monotony of delivery. Not that i find it monotonous but it must feel flat to deliver the whole story in one tone/voice.

I love his voice though and i dont like the Australian accent (sorry!).

Advertisement