Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

• 12-02-2017 7:02pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Haven't listened to much of this so far, but really enjoyed the interview with Damien Duff this week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't stand Dunphy's spoofery on the TV, but he's definitely more suited to the less dramatic and more thoughtful confines of a Podcast, where he doesn't feel as obliged to act the ejit all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Is it just an interview every week or what's the format?

Dunphy plays the fool for the camera, but always comes across well on the likes of Marian.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I listened to the separate two-episode interviews with the journalists Robert Fisk and Paul Kimmage and I enjoyed it. I haven't gotten around to any of other episodes yet. I like listening to Dunphy discuss non-football topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Love this podcast. Think I listened to everything other than John Waters. Enjoy the football analysis as its not too often although it's the usual Giles/Dunphy performance but the Robert Fisk/Paul Kimmage/Stephen Kenny interviews were great. Dunphy was terrific on the radio and it carries over to podcast format.

I found the Eamonn McCann (not a fan and hate his politics) very enjoyable also. He speaks a lot of sense about the north.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I've enjoyed it so far (I can't bring myself to listen to the John Waters interview though).There are definitely a few of his favourite guests from when he hosted the Last Word,which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The Eamonn McCann interview was great,it really got to the weaknesses of the settlement in the North that you'll rarely hear mentioned in the Irish media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Robert Fisk comparing the ideology of Islamic fanatics to that of the Amish just meant the whole interview had a asterix beside it for me in terms of being worthwhile and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Enjoyed the Damien Duff interview, my only criticism would be Dunphy's lack of research, he couldn't recall some of the mangers or players Duff worked alongside etc

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

siblers wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Damien Duff interview, my only criticism would be Dunphy's lack of research, he couldn't recall some of the mangers or players Duff worked alongside etc

Was i imagining it or did Dunphy say at the start that Duff and Roy Keane are the only Irish players with premier league winners medals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭timaru89

Was i imagining it or did Dunphy say at the start that Duff and Roy Keane are the only Irish players with premier league winners medals?

He did. Forgetting Irwin, O'Shea and probably a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Well, thats wrong, John O Shea, Jonny Evans, Denis Irwin have one or 2 between them. Liam Millar possibly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭bren2001

Irwin, Keane, O'Shea, Duff, Kenna and Gibson all have 1+ afaik. Don't think Liam Miller got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

bren2001 wrote: »
    Irwin, Keane, O'Shea, Duff, Kenna and Gibson all have 1+ afaik. Don't think Liam Miller got one.

Duff not got 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭bren2001

Duff not got 2?

Well Keane, Irwin and OShea have more than 1, hence the 1+. Duff has 2 all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Patww79 wrote: »

I listened to the latest podcast on the way in (wasn't hanging on his every word mind) but I didn't hear him say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Patww79 wrote: »
    Now that he's beating the 'I said Ranieri should have been sacked all along' drum, does he think nobody heard him saying he'd changed his mind during the Duff interview?

Yeah, I noticed this too. He didn't want to say to Duff that his former boss should be sacked. Should be used to Dunphy's opinion changing like the wind at this stage. Still an enjoyable enough podcast all the same though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Good pod today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Eamon Dunphy is an intelligent, well-read, knowledgeable and interesting journalist and interviewer. The non-Sport poscasts are excellent, and probably the best Irish-Political podcasts available.

He's totally wasted as the clown on RTE Soccer productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Good pod today.

Is that what they say in D4 nowadays? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I stopped listening about a month back. Saying contrived stuff about soccer and politics gets boring very quickly. He's the SF of podcasts - tired populism masquerading as public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Still enjoying this.. Listening to all his football pods, and dipping in and out of the other stuff, depending if it catches my interest. One thing that I would say is that it could do with some sort of regular schedule. They just seem to appear sporadically when maybe having a Monday football show every week would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭allybhoy

The interview with Ken Doherty last week was really enjoyable, looking forward to the second one this Friday although ive always had a soft spot for Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭MillField

Just finished listening to the Ken Doherty episodes. Surprised with how well Dunphy comes across in these podcasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

I avoid any sporting guests Dunphy has on because his lack of research annoys me, but I enjoyed his chat with TCD economics lad about the housing crisis.

• Advertisement

Advertisement