Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macOS 10.15 Catalina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You could try iCloud Drive if you don’t have a tonne of files. I sync my documents and desktop with iCloud, have less than 50GB so I can use the 99c tier.

The installer should be simple enough. Just follow the Apple guide here [URL] https://support.apple.com/sl-si/HT201372[/URL]

I assume you’re not using the recovery partition for the reinstall for a specific reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

DubDJ wrote: »
    You could try iCloud Drive if you don’t have a tonne of files. I sync my documents and desktop with iCloud, have less than 50GB so I can use the 99c tier.

The installer should be simple enough. Just follow the Apple guide here [URL] https://support.apple.com/sl-si/HT201372[/URL]

I assume you’re not using the recovery partition for the reinstall for a specific reason.

Not sure what this means.

In Disk Utility it says External - USBStick and Disk Images InstallESD

Stick has 15GB free

From your link
    Use the 'createinstallmedia' command in Terminal
    Connect the USB flash drive or other volume that you're using for the bootable installer. Make sure that it has at least 12GB of available storage and is formatted as Mac OS Extended.
    Open Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
    Type or paste one of the following commands in Terminal. These assume that the installer is still in your Applications folder, and MyVolume is the name of the USB flash drive or other volume you're using. If it has a different name, replace MyVolume in these commands with the name of your volume.

Catalina:*
    sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

I'm trying sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USBStick
    /Volumes/USBStick is not a valid volume mount point.
    tbo@TBOs-iMac ~ %

Trying to find answers on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I think what he means is why are you going to all this trouble with installer on mem stick assuming your not IT installing on multiple machines?
    Why not install it the normal way from recovery or even internet recovery?
    You can erase your drive in recovery and do clean install there if you like, or reinstall over the top

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

brav wrote: »
    I think what he means is why are you going to all this trouble with installer on mem stick assuming your not IT installing on multiple machines?
    Why not install it the normal way from normal recovery or even internet recovery?

Ah right, I thought USB was the preferred route of doing it.

I can run the Catalina installer (clean install, ideally) without a stick, and then put stuff back from Time Machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Ah right, I thought USB was the preferred route of doing it.

I can run the Catalina installer (clean install, ideally) without a stick, and then put stuff back from Time Machine?

Yes you can boot to recovery, erase drive using disk utility and install from fresh.
    If you are doing this because of existing issue be wary that then restoring from recovery could bring the issue back.
    You could also choose to just migrate a user back from a back up.
    Also you could re install over the top which restores system files and leaves user data and apps, but either way it’s all from recovery.

By the way there are 3 ways of booting to recovery, regular Command + R, Internet recovery(latest version of macOS from apple servers), and original version of macOS OS that came with the Mac available on server, I think Alt + Command + R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The full guide on reinstalling on Apple’s support site.
    [URL] https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/mac-help/mchlp1599/mac[/URL]

Btw, the reason the command you posted didn’t work was because you need to change the “USBStick” part with the actual name of the USB you are using, e.g. SANDISK16

Thank you.

Well, the issue was it's been restarting itself a few times. That seems to have eased a little, Safari was quitting too. Something a little amiss.

Appreciate your point about potentially recreating the problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thank you.

Well, the issue was it's been restarting itself a few times. That seems to have eased a little, Safari was quitting too. Something a little amiss.

Appreciate your point about potentially recreating the problem.

Thats exactly what happened to me. And re-installing from Time Machine seemed to bring it all back too. Copy everything you need from your Mac, music, pictures. files etc and erase the drive and start again. You do this by holding cmd+R at start up and using Disk Utility from there. Then introduce apps etc back slowly. Mine has started to slow up again, with spinning beach balls, I think its either down to Box, Synology Drive or One Drive. One of the big threads elsewhere suggested a major problem with Dropbox, so it could be the cloud drives causing problems in general.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Thats exactly what happened to me. And re-installing from Time Machine seemed to bring it all back too. Copy everything you need from your Mac, music, pictures. files etc and erase the drive and start again. You do this by holding cmd+R at start up and using Disk Utility from there. Then introduce apps etc back slowly. Mine has started to slow up again, with spinning beach balls, I think its either down to Box, Synology Drive or One Drive. One of the big threads elsewhere suggested a major problem with Dropbox, so it could be the cloud drives causing problems in general.

I reinstalled Catalina without a USB stick earlier on, no harm as a system refresh. Seems to be zippy and going well, I'll keep an eye out if any problems.

I've two HDs, one's for Time Machine, the other if I'm looking at video files on the TV. I started to copy stuff onto the latter and it said it would take 2 days. :o Might be better to do it in chunks. One of the things I wasn't sure about was how to copy user profile folders (not not the profile itself) like Movies/Music and how they'd work on a clean Install i.e. if you're dumping stuff from your original iTunes folder. Would it work? Not that I'm bothered about iTunes/Music app, haven't synced by cable in yonks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just copy across the contents of the music/photos folder, and put them back when it is reinstalled. Apple Mail is more complex.

• Advertisement

Safari seems OK. Firefox too, though it can't really quit because I've never turned off the option for it to do so without it asking if I want to close ___ tabs. It does seem to want to try and log out (I think) and TextEdit is stopping it, if it has an unsaved thing open. That's not new.

Today, updated my Mac Mini from its OS X Mojave to Catalina: Decided to erase the internal HDD and reinstall Mojave. Then upgrade to Catalina.

The sting in the tale: Eventhough its on my original order, Final Cut Pro X is being charged again to me?? Thought my Apple ID would sort that out. :c

Oh well.

More later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Should be in your purchases in the App Store.

Final Cut Pro X: sorted.

Spoke to Apple Technical Support. Grand except the case number opened a 404 webpage.

Got Sound up to 96000 Hz 32 bit for my preferred speakers.

My monitor a cheap LG telly displays a bit bright but that's acceptable.

Safari is still quitting when I'm away from my desk. Firefox would too, but it can't because the tabs won't unless I say OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Safari is still quitting when I'm away from my desk. Firefox would too, but it can't because the tabs won't unless I say OK.

Does the new music thingy have a visualiser like iTunes? The easiest way to prevent a mac auto-locking is to just engage the visualiser in iTunes. It won't lock or sleep while it's on. Strangely, you don't even need a track to be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

hoping someone might give me some guidance and to best way to sort out my storage on the Mac.

I got a new MBP recently. I didn't bother with the upgrade to the SSD upgraded RAM and processor instead. I set it up as a new Mac (didn't bother with Time Machine).

All was going fine until this morning when I went to boot parallels and got and error about not being able to locate the VM. What I've discovered is that I had my VM sitting on the desktop after drag and dropping it from the old machine and it was automatically then back-up to iCloud.

Here in lies the problem - I've run out of space on the SSD - about 110GB of photos and due to this I can't download the VM from iCloud - as it was obviously removed from the desktop when space was getting low.

I've moved my photos folder to an external drive and I've pointed Photos to that. I've moved the VM to a documents folder and its now downloading - 40GB worth on a flakey enough internet connection at the moment.

How best to organise photos and iCloud storage now? I've 2TB iCloud storage and both my iPhone and iPad Pro are 256gb models. Am I best to leave the photos on the external drive - I don't really use the MBP for photos all that much; will the library automatically update once the external drive is connected?

I now feel foolish for not just getting the 512GB SSD at the time !

10.15.5 is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Just did it. No problems.

• Advertisement

Supplemental update time.

Is it the entry-level 2017 iMac?
    If so, those Hitachi (HGST) HDD Apple use tend to be the bottle neck on these machines.

I've given up. I hadn't realised in 2019 they put a 5400 HDD into an iMac. I think the finder gets itself into a knot in the bottleneck in the HDD. I have bit the bullet and ordered an OWC 1TB SDD kit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

whiterebel wrote: »
    I've given up. I hadn't realised in 2019 they put a 5400 HDD into an iMac. I think the finder gets itself into a knot in the bottleneck in the HDD. I have bit the bullet and ordered an OWC 1TB SDD kit for it.

Be careful taking it apart. The PSU is exposed and you must ensure you drain the capacitors by unplugging and holding the power button for 20 seconds. Even then they can still pack quite a punch.

A 1TB Seagate SSHD is a massive performance boost for these machines. 8GB cache SSD + 992GB HDD.

€400 notebooks are shipping these days with 120GB M.2 sata/NVMe SSD, shipping €1000+ AIO desktops with 2.5” SATA III HDD is just taking the piss.

10.15.6 is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Got an Appleseed invite for Safari 14 for Catalina - works well, only differences are that Top Sites is gone, replaced by Start Page which has Bookmarks of your choice (pick a folder from your Bookmarks tree), but it's not dynamic by your visiting habits, like Top Sites is.

Great reporting of the trackers following you on each website (and being refused by Safari) - Boards has 5, including Facebook.net

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Updated to 10.15.6 on my Mac mini earlier with no issues.

It will probably be one of the last ever updates for my mid-2012 MBP however...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Updated to 10.15.6 on my Mac mini earlier with no issues.

It will probably be one of the last ever updates for my mid-2012 MBP however...

Same here, on both counts - Late 2013 iMac

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Currently Catilina 10.15.x is plagued with CPU panic random restart and reeboots on heavy task usage for 1000's of users across the globe across many hardware units. Upgrading might bring you serious problems if your work is critical and customer based. Apple introduced and update 10.15.6 but the issue still remains. My own take on this is, the cpus are running too hot on heavy use or tasks. Iv tried with some success Keeping the cpu's cooler using 3rd party apps such as Mac Fans complemented with a desktop fan for more air flow around the machine. If your thinking of upgrading to OSX Catilina, hold off until this OS issue is sorted by Apple.

Apple Forum => Catalina freezing all the time!

MacRumors => macos-10-5-4-kernel-panic-crashing-issues/

A lot of the KPs seem to be with the new 16" MBP. I know myself from having problems with 13" MBP, Mini and new iMac that a lot of the problems with other machines stemmed from just installing straight over Mojave. They didn't allow for differences in the firmware(?) from what I read, and it required an erase and install to get it back correctly. I can only say it worked ok for me once that had been done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

10.15.6 is working fine on my 2019 iMac

Advertisement