Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My cutting out of chips & beer (& other between meal snacks) whilst continuing to get 4 runs in a week along with plenty of walking on the other days has finally started to tip the scales in my favour. Back down the 3 lbs I'd been struggling to shift (suspect it was water retention or suchlike in reality) and noticing some room in my slim fit shirts again... gonna stick with it now, I might not have a sun holiday to look forward to (Ryanair, grrrr, but thats another story) but thats no excuse to undo all the hard work of a few years back and to pile the pounds back on.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Slim fit shirts? Well la de da.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I find my appetite isn't as bad in hot weather, probably as I drink more fluids (non alcoholic!) so this weather is good for helping me keep on track!

Keep up the good work DvB.

Jude13 wrote: »

:D

I'm a few weeks off those!!!

Ah man, hate the regular fit ones, I always look like I'm wearing a cape if I raise my arm to 90 degrees with all the extra material under there:D

I'd rather get a shirt with an extra half inch on the collar in slim fit than wear a regular fit, less parachute profile :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Yeah I was jesting. I am a 16 collar and a slim fit in most brands. Not the skinny fit. Though as with all garments sizes vary, dont get me started on shoe sizes. For Hugo boss (the rare times I buy them due to $) the slim fit is nice.

Yeah I was jesting. I am a 16 collar and a slim fit in most brands. Not the skinny fit. Though as with all garments sizes vary, dont get me started on shoe sizes. For Hugo boss (the rare times I buy them due to $) the slim fit is nice.

I'm a 15 and a half, but would go up to a 16 to get the slim fit profile.

Skinny fit I wouldn't touch, for the same reasons I wont touch muscle fit t-shirts, they are simply too tight so wont even try them on, so unless you're either ripped or genuinely skinny they tend to look awful (they do on me anyway), I've seen too many people trying to get away with it in the last few years & someone really ought to have a word, looks like trying to get a king size duvet to fit into a single bed duvet cover!! No ta!

Burpees and mountain climbers are a form of torture :(
    I am finding the HIIT suits me. I did 3 weeks of low impact low intensity, and I can see some changes already, my face has lost a bit of the chub! I think I'll try sticking with beginners HIIT for another week, as long my knees hold up and I don't feel like dying.

My cat has decided he really likes joining me for my daily work outs, he has gotten really good at attacking my hair while I'm warming up, my hair is quite long so I haven't been hurt..yet :)

So I went back to the gym last night. I have a training app with a program, it auto fills the table with a suggested weight calculated from my last session. The last time I was using it I was remote working (the middle of nowhere) and had nothing to do but train and work. I had to use about 50-60% of my previous. It was also empty. It's a large gym but they will only allow 50 people in so it was quiet. You are allowed in for an hour, then they kick you out and they clean the place for half an hour.

Trying to go again tonight.

One of the good things about weights is that your get back to where you where quicker then if you starting for the first time as such. If that makes sense!

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    One of the good things about weights is that your get back to where you where quicker then if you starting for the first time as such. If that makes sense!

Yeah, I always found with weights though that because I never went in for using big weights to increase bulk & instead used smaller weight loads but loads of reps that getting abck into it after a spell wasnt as hard as getting back into aerobic exercise. You lose aerobic fitness so quickly, especially as you get older that its alot harder to get back up to a level you were at even 3 or 4 months ago.

Not a fan of the weights myself but appreciate the benefits, especially as I'm in touching distance of 50, so may start introducing them again, even if its just free weights & basic workouts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have free weights at home, must actually get back to using them. :o

Down 2lbs at my weigh in this week- have a strange feeling that after the damage I'm planning to do this bank holiday weekend, it will be put straight back on! :pac:

Posy wrote: »

Down 2lbs at my weigh in this week- have a strange feeling that after the damage I'm planning to do this bank holiday weekend, it will be put straight back on! :pac:

Swings and roundabouts, go and enjoy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I will! :D

I will! :D

Go you!!!

Have taken tomorrow off so have a 4 day break, looking forward to chilling out and doing plenty of eating and drinking. Will get the mrs to trim my peaky blinders haircut and make sure the kids dont burn the house down, & that's it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Posy you’re my kind of people. :D

There was a birthday in our house so have been eating toblerone cheesecake since yesterday evening, it was absolutely delicious if I do say so myself :D I won't be going near any scales any time soon :)

I went to the gym Wednesday Thursday and Firday, took yesterday off. I am still hobling around from leg day on Thursday. Back in today.

I notices that I now have a solid excuse (in my mind) to eat everything in site as I am starving from training. Myfitness pal app is getting dusted off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Week 1 of SW done and I'm down 3lbs :) Delighted with that. Will hope for something similar this week - which would take me into a new stone bracket which is always a bit of motivation! :D

That's absolutely brilliant going CheerLouth! :)

I went for my first walk today since I started cocooning in March. While I did feel anxious when some people were oblivious to social distancing, I'm glad I went.

• Advertisement

My exercise regime & diet has gone the way of my social life in the last week, only been out for 1 Run in that time & had a few beverages on both Saturday & Sunday nights, throw in a couple of BBQ's as well and lets just say I need to get my ar£e in gear again... amazing how quickly a few weeks hard work can be scuppered!!
    I should get out this evening but I feel shattered atm, struggling with work stress on top of the ongoing 'games' around our holiday so I'm feeling a tad fragile/anxious & think a few early nights might be the best thing for me & then start fresh over the weekend again.

DvB wrote: »
    My exercise regime & diet has gone the way of my social life in the last week, only been out for 1 Run in that time & had a few beverages on both Saturday & Sunday nights, throw in a couple of BBQ's as well and lets just say I need to get my ar£e in gear again... amazing how quickly a few weeks hard work can be scuppered!!
    I should get out this evening but I feel shattered atm, struggling with work stress on top of the ongoing 'games' around our holiday so I'm feeling a tad fragile/anxious & think a few early nights might be the best thing for me & then start fresh over the weekend again.

Or a run might be just want you need, get out and get some good 'head space', fresh air and unwind. You'll thank me for it after :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Or a run might be just want you need, get out and get some good 'head space', fresh air and unwind. You'll thank me for it after :)

Normally thats exactly what I'd do (& recommend to others also) but I've that much going on I genuinely think I need to sleep, mentally I'm running on empty & need to get my pep back.
    I may go for a walk though just to get some fresh air at least (& hope it doesnt rain!:D)

I got over my illness and then got back in to the gym for three days straight, however I had to go in to isolation in a hotel as someone tested positive for covid who I had many meetings with. The gym at the hotel is not open, but their room service burgers were amazing. I have been tested and am clear but I am fat as a fool. I had three burgers in one day.

I had three burgers in one day.

I genuinely laughed out loud at that. Its amazing what boredom will do for an appetite :)

I was just thinking, the Mrs isnt here to know, I had quite a bit of guilt, two full fat cokes too. I was feeling sorry for myself after having that swab jammed up my nose. Ended up in the hotel two nights, checked out this morning. The first night we did an all nighter working so I am still recovering from that. I also had three pints of cider one night.

I was just thinking, the Mrs isnt here to know, I had quite a bit of guilt, two full fat cokes too. I was feeling sorry for myself after having that swab jammed up my nose. Ended up in the hotel two nights, checked out this morning. The first night we did an all nighter working so I am still recovering from that. I also had three pints of cider one night.

Haven't been tested for covid myself, but know a few who have, they pretty much all said the swab is really rammed up there & is quite unpleasant, 1 or 2 said it wasn't put that far up but the more I hear the more i'd be less looking forward to having to get my nasial passages violated :D

I don't want to gripe too much, particularly as my OH had recently had test's (regular nothing to worry too much about) that women regularly get which would be worse. However, the guy who went in before me is a north England hard case and came out with a blood shot eye and not very happy. I don't want to put people off, it was right up there, almost behind the eye, and for a longer duration than expected, to the point that I asked the guy to stop, he simply replied "no" and continued. Had a streaming eye and irritated nose but its worth it. Got the results in 24 hours.

I don't want to gripe too much, particularly as my OH had recently had test's (regular nothing to worry too much about) that women regularly get which would be worse. However, the guy who went in before me is a north England hard case and came out with a blood shot eye and not very happy. I don't want to put people off, it was right up there, almost behind the eye, and for a longer duration than expected, to the point that I asked the guy to stop, he simply replied "no" and continued. Had a streaming eye and irritated nose but its worth it. Got the results in 24 hours.

Ah here, after hearing that I'm never going outside again :eek:

• Advertisement

I got over my illness and then got back in to the gym for three days straight, however I had to go in to isolation in a hotel as someone tested positive for covid who I had many meetings with. The gym at the hotel is not open, but their room service burgers were amazing. I have been tested and am clear but I am fat as a fool. I had three burgers in one day.

Good to hear test came back negative, have heard it's pretty unpleasant alright.

I remember being away with work years ago and the hotel did amazing food. After the first couple of days, me and the other guy I was away with would spend way too much time during the day working out how to get the most amount of food for the daily food allowance we had. Basically entailed eating pretty much nothing all day till we got back to the hotel and then ordering as much food as we could afford :D

Advertisement