Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing returning May 15th........??

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Jesus Mel calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Character Building

Any chance RTÉ might show a few extra cards? Wouldn't be holding my breath for RUK to make anything free to air - which would be the decent thing to do, at least for a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

BoldReason wrote: »
    Jesus Mel calm down.

I hope the action on the racecourse is as exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

tipptom wrote: »
    Yeah,like I will listen to some clown on Boards whose only interest for Irish racing is his pathetic little bets on the all weather.

Now fu*k off you degenerate.

Comedy gold. You can always easily tell when getting told the truth gets to someone.

Let's be honest, you post nonsense, it gets pointed out to you that you post nonsense so you resort to name calling on an internet forum.

And how would you know what little bets I do or where? And what difference would it make anyway? Shows the ignorance and stupidity of you if anything. Lads good oul tipptom does big bets and at the best tracks so his opinion counts more than everyone elses, ok. I'm glad we cleared that up.

Now Tom do yourself a favour and please stop embarrassing yourself, as entertaining as you are you just dont have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BarneyCurley97

Anybody any fancies for the Guineas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭famagusta

Arizona stays on past pinatubo

famagusta wrote: »
    Arizona stays on past pinatubo

Really? I’d be worried about both training on.

https://www.hri.ie/content/press-office/press-releases/hri-announce-full-flat-programme-for-june-and-revised-fixture-list-for-july/

HRI released full calendar of fixtures for June and July yesterday with details. Meanwhile the great BHA have yet to release a definite start date other than we hope to start on June 1st never mind a fixture list.
    :rolleyes:

BoldReason wrote: »
    https://www.hri.ie/content/press-office/press-releases/hri-announce-full-flat-programme-for-june-and-revised-fixture-list-for-july/

HRI released full calendar of fixtures for June and July yesterday with details. Meanwhile the great BHA have yet to release a definite start date other than we hope to start on June 1st never mind a fixture list.
    :rolleyes:

Surely not? Them HRI cowards couldn't have gave clarity on the situation, sure they left is all in the dark to what was going on.

And just for you tom because I realise you are a touch slow, yes I am being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

There's meant to be a decent cross country race in France today? Anyone know where?
    While looking for it I'm after watching maquinchey racecourse or some name like that, and I don't think they broke out of a trot the whole way? Is there such thing as a trotting race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    Surely not? Them HRI cowards couldn't have gave clarity on the situation, sure they left is all in the dark to what was going on.

And just for you tom because I realise you are a touch slow, yes I am being sarcastic.

State of the pair of you.

There's meant to be a decent cross country race in France today? Anyone know where?
    While looking for it I'm after watching maquinchey racecourse or some name like that, and I don't think they broke out of a trot the whole way? Is there such thing as a trotting race?

Alot of tracks in France do trotting races, terrible to watch. Usually alot of disqualified horses in the races to

And Dieppe had jumps racing today so I'd say it was there

Earendil wrote: »

Excellent input.

Earendil wrote: »

Hahaha

Apparently ballydoyle had a derby trial and Guineas trial last week behind closed doors. Mythical ran very well in the derby trial. He’s 40/1 for the derby. Vatican City who’s have a half brother to gleneagles won their Guineas trial. He’s 20/1 for the Irish 2000 Guineas. Judging by Betfair he isn’t going to the Newmarket version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

dk6dk6 wrote: »

I find most degenerates like you are cowards calling out people over the internet and calling them names.
    Racing will be back on shortly and people like me who work in and pay into the industry and have legitimate concerns about it will carry on and contribute to your dole earnings so you can continue with your "big" bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I find most degenerates like you are cowards calling out people over the internet and calling them names.
    Racing will be back on shortly and people like me who work in and pay into the industry and have legitimate concerns about it will carry on and contribute to your dole earnings so you can continue with your "big" bets.
    If you read your post #91 on this thread you will read, as everyone did, that you are that person.

If you read your post #91 on this thread you will read, as everyone did, that you are that person.

I had a fair laugh at that reply myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

mod note:

Stop the personal snipes please.

There are bigger issues than the pettiness being displayed here, please stop. I really don't want to have to start issuing bans.

This forum - up to now - has been great so far at being reasonable and respectful towards each other, lets keep it that way.

Thanks.

S.

I used to post on the free kick and you’d never see a mod stepping in like this. Great to see.

• Advertisement

You can’t just give the HRI credit no for dealing with a very difficult situation? And yes I am on the dole the past 3 months with a large percentage of the country, thats the point of this, racing doesn’t deserve special attention when so many are suffering.

There’s thousands of people in the country now very concerned about jobs. Horse racing is certain to return to normal some time in the future, alot of businesses won’t ever open again. As I’ve said all along there’s a bigger picture than racing.

And also I’ve never claimed on here to do big bets, why would I? It’s nobody else’s business how much I stake on a bet and I seriously doubt anybody cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭del roy

FWIW

By Timeform — published 28th May 2020

Arizona will lead Aidan O’Brien’s quest for a fourth consecutive victory in the Qipco 2000 Guineas at Newmarket next week.

The Ballydoyle trainer has won the colts’ Classic 10 times in total and was successful 12 months ago with Magna Grecia, having struck in 2018 with Saxon Warrior and Churchill in 2017.

It would be a fifth Guineas in six years for O’Brien and he is happy with Arizona, who landed the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot last year and ended the campaign strongly, finishing second to Pinatubo in the Dewhurst and running better than his fifth placing suggests in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf at Santa Anita.

O’Brien said: “The horses have been ticking over, but obviously every time you think you had a target and put a sight on it, the next thing the target moves and you have to change again, so it’s a little bit tricky and horses do feel that.

“It’s unusual and strange, but all we can do is do our best and see where they all land. Everything seems good at the moment and everyone seems happy, but we won’t really know until we get going where the horses are and we’ll get a better picture. But so far, so good really.”

Wichita – another son of No Nay Never – is set to join Arizona, while three other stablemates are in contention.

O’Brien said: “I suppose there’s the two No Nay Never colts and then there’s New World Tapestry, Royal Dornoch and Royal Lytham, that’s kind of what we are thinking at the moment. Fort Myers and Vatican City might wait for the Irish Guineas.

“It’s not straightforward this year, but we talk to the lads most days and see what they are thinking. They are the kind of horses we think we might be entering at this stage.

“Will the Irish 2,000 Guineas be too close to Ascot – that’s what we have to work out, probably the horses we are going to run at Ascot will have to run at Newmarket. That makes it a little bit tricky for us, but that’s what we’re thinking and we could run three, we could run four.

“It would be unusual a horse could back up that quickly after the Irish Guineas (and go to Ascot), but who knows, you never know.”

He added: “Arizona is in good form, everything has gone well with him. Obviously we had our eye on the first weekend of May, but he seems to be in good form. He was getting ready for that, then we just eased back a little bit.

“He’s a big, rangy, scopey horse and we always thought he would improve from two to three and it would suit him being a three-year-old. We’ll see – he ran a very good race to win the Coventry and ran some very good races after that. We think he’s ready to start.

“You never know (if will stay a mile) until they start doing it, but we always felt he would get a mile. I’m not sure how much further he’d get, but he travels well and is usually coming home in his races.

“He’s a straightforward horse, a good traveller and he likes nice ground. We’ve been looking forward to running him.”

Although aware of the standard set by Pinatubo, on whom Arizona closed the gap at Newmarket from their meeting in the National Stakes at the Curragh, O’Brien, who has Love, Peaceful and So Wonderful in the mix for the 1000 Guineas, is concentrating on his own hand.

He said: “We go into every race thinking about our horses and what way it will suit each of them to run their best race, that’s what we always do. We don’t think too much about the opposition, because you’re usually either good enough or you’re not.”

O’Brien, who will not be at Newmarket as things stand, revealed he has Derby winner Anthony Van Dyck, Broome and Sir Dragonet under consideration for the Coronation Cup, which will be run this year on the Rowley Mile course on Friday, having been moved from Epsom, and like the Guineas forms part of the Qipco British Champions Series.

Magical – the subject of so many battles with the mighty Enable – was a popular winner of the Qipco Champion Stakes on British Champions Day at Ascot in October and was due to head to the Breeders’ Cup afterwards before being covered by No Nay Never.

In the end, the multiple Group One winner did not travel to Santa Anita after developing a temperature and connections had a rethink on calling time on her career. A trip to Royal Ascot could be possible, but an outing at the Curragh on June 28 appears more likely.

O’Brien said: “Magical is back in training and I think she might be entered in the Prince of Wales’s, but it’s possible she might not start until the Pretty Polly. We were lucky the lads agreed they would leave her for the year.

“She’s only five this year and she’s done very well physically.”

O’Brien also has news of leading Investec Derby contender Mogul and his year-older brother Japan.

He said: “We are thinking of going to the Derrinstown (Derby Trial, at Leopardstown on June 9) with Mogul, but obviously these things can change.

“With Japan, we are thinking of going to the Prince of Wales’s at the moment. Like I say, all these things can change, but I think that’s what we’re thinking at the moment.”

Surprise Irish Derby hero Sovereign has not run since his victory at the Curragh at the end of June, but is on the comeback trail, while Kew Gardens is poised to head straight to Ascot for the Gold Cup.

O’Brien added: “Sovereign is back in training, he’s done four bits of work back and we’re just trying to go gentle with him and thinking of the autumn with him. He might have a run in the middle of the summer, but that’s what we’re trying to do, aim him at an autumn campaign.

“Kew Gardens is in good form and if he’s going to Ascot he’ll go there without a run. He was ready to run in Dubai and we were hoping to go to Leopardstown or Navan, but it’s all been a bit of a mess for him really.

“The plan then was to give him a little rest and come back to Ascot. We’re hoping to get him to Ascot, he’ll be there without a run and we’ll how we get on after that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭del roy

Ahead of the planned resumption of racing in Britain at Newcastle on Monday, here are five names who could make an immediate impact.

Tiercel
    Betway Welcome Back British Racing Handicap (1.00)

Racing returns with a very tricky handicap to solve but one horse who should run a big race is Rebecca Bastiman's contender Tiercel.

View the runners and riders for Monday's card at Newcastle here

The seven-year-old has previously won at Newcastle and was desperately unlucky not to finish first when last seen in March. He was denied by a head that day and, now only 2lb higher, has a leading chance once again.

Art Power
    Betway Novice Stakes (2.45)

All eyes here will be on Tim Easterby's runner who looked a proper top talent at the end of last season. He blasted away from his eight rivals at York in October, forging clear by five lengths.

The son of Dark Angel is given a tougher test here but has all the makings of a classy sprinter and it will be interesting to see if he can back-up that dazzling York success.

Tathmeen
    Heed Your Hunch at Betway Handicap (3.20)

Antony Brittain's runner will be looking to pick up where he left off after recording three wins in 2020 already. He has an excellent record at this track too with five wins and an impressive 42 per cent strike-rate.
    He comes here after being denied at hat-trick by half-a-length at Wolverhampton and would be a key contender on that run. But his good run of form means he is on career-high mark of 85, which he last had when with Richard Hannon in 2017.

He'll need the best performance of his career to win, but it would be no surprise to see him shine again.

Alignak
    Betway Handicap (5.05)

It is always worth monitoring Sir Michael Stoute's runners at Newcastle, with the veteran trainer operating at a 37 per cent strike-rate in the last five years.

Alignak appears to be a type that could thrive under Stoute's patient training style. It took him four attempts to get off the mark, in novice company at Kempton, and he is presented with another fine opportunity to strike on his handicap debut. The booking of Oisin Murphy, who partnered him last time out, is another bonus.

Luck On Sunday
    Betway Maiden Stakes (6.15)

The Phoenix Thoroughbreds team must be big fans of Racing TV's morning programming, as they named this €2,000,000 yearling purchase after the popular Luck On Sunday show.

The John Quinn-trained newcomer boasts an exceptional pedigree, being a sister to three-time Group 1-winning mare Alice Springs. It will be exciting to see how good this daughter of Galileo could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

Thank the lord we are on the home stretch

Advertisement