Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland + cucumber

Options
  • 26-06-2016 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭

I adore living in Scotland, I really, really do.

But one of the trivial things that's always bugged me about Scotland is that they put cucumber on so much more stuff than they do in Ireland (or at least from what I remember).

Burgers, salads, wraps, all kinds of stuff, that to me works so much better without cucumber.

I've always wondered if this bugs anyone else too.

Are you a fellow Irish person living in Scotland who doesn't like cucumber and also get annoyed by how much food has cucumber in it?

Maybe you love cucumber, and that's why you stay living in Scotland.

Maybe you've no real opinion either way, and just think I'm very weird (I am, btw, it's the best way to be).

So fellow Irish folk in the lovely Scotland, what is your opinion on the very controversial topic of cucumber? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I can't say I've honestly ever noticed to be honest although I know they are grown an awful lot more by farmers in Scotland than in Ireland so maybe that's why :confused:

I see you dislike cucumber nearly as much as I dislike people who describe themselves as weird

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

be happy its just cucumber.
    In Germany they sneak gherkins into everything, sometimes chopping them up and mixing with mayonnaise in a sambo so its impossible to pick them out. (and at that its not even proper mayonaise, its some Danish white gloop called "remoulade")

After 15 years I'm getting to accept cucumber in small measures, but gherkins are proper evil bastarding yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I can't say I've honestly ever noticed to be honest although I know they are grown an awful lot more by farmers in Scotland than in Ireland so maybe that's why :confused:

I have the same opinion as you, acn't say that I've noticed any in the 2 weeks I've been here. What I have noticed is how reliant on deep frying they seem to be here to cook food. Whatever about the stereotypical battered Mars bar, I spotted a whole black pudding that was battered and deep fried! Another unhealthy nugget I found was a half pizza; a deep fried pizza half, or a cripy pizza; which is the same only its battered! :(

Have to agree with munchkin utd, whatever youre hate for cucumbers, gherkins are the work of the devil. They don't even have to be on/in your food, just near them and they ruin it!

I have the same opinion as you, acn't say that I've noticed any in the 2 weeks I've been here. What I have noticed is how reliant on deep frying they seem to be here to cook food. Whatever about the stereotypical battered Mars bar, I spotted a whole black pudding that was battered and deep fried! Another unhealthy nugget I found was a half pizza; a deep fried pizza half, or a cripy pizza; which is the same only its battered! :(

Have to agree with munchkin utd, whatever youre hate for cucumbers, gherkins are the work of the devil. They don't even have to be on/in your food, just near them and they ruin it!

Well Scotland didn't get the title the Sick Man of Europe for its healthy eating habits. It is something I've noticed compared to even England and Ireland (both countries not exactly known for healthy eating habits) that the diet of a lot of Scottish people is really, really poor. Considering the amount of excellent agricultural and fisheries produce they have and very good prices in greengrocers and the likes of Lidl there's really no excuse for why it's so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Well Scotland didn't get the title the Sick Man of Europe for its healthy eating habits. It is something I've noticed compared to even England and Ireland (both countries not exactly known for healthy eating habits) that the diet of a lot of Scottish people is really, really poor. Considering the amount of excellent agricultural and fisheries produce they have and very good prices in greengrocers and the likes of Lidl there's really no excuse for why it's so bad.

Its unreal! The one place you can be sure to see a queue at lunch is at Greggs! I thought it was bad enough in Ireland with the chicken rolls but that's nothing compared to the daily sausage roll and steak bake and the amount of kids getting chipper for lunch is shocking!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

jimmii wrote: »
    Its unreal! The one place you can be sure to see a queue at lunch is at Greggs! I thought it was bad enough in Ireland with the chicken rolls but that's nothing compared to the daily sausage roll and steak bake and the amount of kids getting chipper for lunch is shocking!

I worked for a crowd out in the South Gyle industrial estate for a while and was pretty taken aback by this as well. There were a couple of schools nearby and the closest to decent food available around there was the Chinese takeaway van. Greggs and the chip van were significantly more popular, though. (The oddest thing to me was that a lot of the guys I worked with would buy lunch from Greggs every day rather than bring a packed lunch...)

Sure I even see the local kids from the nearest secondary school all stopping into the co-op to buy chocolate and crisps for their breakfast, their fecking breakfast:eek:

The odd thing though is you can eat relatively healthy at Greggs, they do have okayish sandwich options but like you say it's always sausage rolls and steak bakes that people queue up for.

Fysh wrote: »
    (The oddest thing to me was that a lot of the guys I worked with would buy lunch from Greggs every day rather than bring a packed lunch...)

Money wise it just doesn't make sense does it? I'm one of only two people in my office who brings a packed lunch in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Money wise it just doesn't make sense does it? I'm one of only two people in my office who brings a packed lunch in.

I know this sounds poncy, but damnit, if I'm paying to get lunch somewhere then it either needs to be comparable to what I could bring in from home or sufficiently good to justify its cost. None of the stuff I saw on offer at that particular Greggs met either criteria. Now, La Favorita pizzas on the other hand... :)

• Advertisement

I know this sounds poncy, but damnit, if I'm paying to get lunch somewhere then it either needs to be comparable to what I could bring in from home or sufficiently good to justify its cost. None of the stuff I saw on offer at that particular Greggs met either criteria. Now, La Favorita pizzas on the other hand... :)

La Favorita mmmm!

Sure I even see the local kids from the nearest secondary school all stopping into the co-op to buy chocolate and crisps for their breakfast, their fecking breakfast:eek:

The odd thing though is you can eat relatively healthy at Greggs, they do have okayish sandwich options but like you say it's always sausage rolls and steak bakes that people queue up for.

Yeh noticed that today when I was on my way in kids coming out of Nisa with a pack of crisps on their way in. Not even a regular pack but one of those large sharer packs! Where I am working there's a couple of nice delis and they end up being the onky place you can go without a queue once it hits ten past one but they're the nicest anywhere a touch too dear for the kids though I guess nae sandwich for £2 in them!

La Fav....nom nom nom

La Favorita mmmm!

La Fav....nom nom nom

That good? I must try them out so, I've seen a few farts of bright yellow cars flying about the place with the name on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I was never given a cucumber wi ma tattie fritters.

That good? I must try them out so, I've seen a few farts of bright yellow cars flying about the place with the name on the side.

I'm always happy when I see them doing catering at an event as I know its an easy pick! To be honest I am not really that big a pizza fan but its as good a pizza as any imo so if I do have pizza that would be the pizza I want to have!

That's my next thing to try so! Just to give my (extremely limited knowledge) opinion about a great pizza is in Caffe Centro on George st, just off Hannover st in Edinburgh. Cracking pizza and calzone. haven't got anyting with cucumber in there... :pac:

On the topic of good pizza, Quattro Zero on Queensferry Street have always provided excellent pizza in my experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

I love gherkin ;-)

On the topic of good pizza, Quattro Zero on Queensferry Street have always provided excellent pizza in my experience :)

Also Oregano on Leith Walk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Bar Napoli on Hanover Street. Best Italian in Edinburgh, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That place on Queensferry Street is very good alright, I think they might be on Deliveroo too.
    I'm still undecided on La Favorita, had it twice, second time was better than the first, will have to make it a best out of 5 I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

If anyone is in Bruntsfield area, Osterio del la Tempo Perso has great italian food.

If anyone is in Bruntsfield area, Osterio del la Tempo Perso has great italian food.

I that the place at the corner by the Y junction or the red front restaurant across from Montpelliers?

Nonna's is supposed to be fantastic too.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I that the place at the corner by the Y junction or the red front restaurant across from Montpelliers?

Nonna's is supposed to be fantastic too.

Yes, that's the one.

Never been to Nonna's but have also heard it's nice.

Also in that area, I thoroughly recommend Three Birds. Not italian, but the food is quite literally, amazing.

Three Birds is a great restaurant, always changing the menu and the staff are always brilliant. They have a place over by Newington too called The Apiary.

I'll have to try a few of the Bruntsfield Italians, still to find my favourite.

Anyone got any tips for places to eat around East Lothian at all? Nice to go for a drive in the area but can't seem to find anywhere that nice to pop into for food!

Anyone got any tips for places to eat around East Lothian at all? Nice to go for a drive in the area but can't seem to find anywhere that nice to pop into for food!

Herringbone in North Berwick is a nice spot for lunch.
    http://www.theherringbone.co.uk/

Herringbone in North Berwick is a nice spot for lunch.
    http://www.theherringbone.co.uk/

Just started working in North Berwick so that's handy! That menu looks tasty will definitely be popping in there soon cheers!

• Advertisement

Just started working in North Berwick so that's handy! That menu looks tasty will definitely be popping in there soon cheers!

Good stuff, will you be moving out that way?

Advertisement