Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arriving by ferry during Covid

Options
  • 05-07-2020 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Irish citizen working in UK, due to travel back to ireland by ferry shortly. Anyone have any first hand experience of getting the ferry from holyhead recently? Any issues checking in at the port? Have had a few people say its not possible unless you have paperwork proving valid reason for travel. Few others saying no issues. Would like to hear from someone who made the trip during covid. Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Common travel area
    No restrictions really

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MicK10rt

Common travel area
    No restrictions really

Yep this what I thought, but reading through some of the stuff on the Irish Ferries Facebook they mention essential travel only and paperwork will be needed to prove purpose for travel. This seems contradictory to the CTM rules. Of course they arnt exactly easy to contact

Someone must know the definitive answer to this. Contacted irish ferries again who said the sailing is running, however it is best to bring paperwork to show reason for trip, as its still non essential travel. Should I be worried? I'm returning home is that reason enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

MicK10rt wrote: »
    Someone must know the definitive answer to this. Contacted irish ferries again who said the sailing is running, however it is best to bring paperwork to show reason for trip, as its still non essential travel. Should I be worried? I'm returning home is that reason enough?

Where are you seeing this? I’m travelling soon and I have seen no notifications of any sort and know of no restrictions to essential travel only. I certainly wouldn’t be worrying about it anyway, but curious to see where you think it says this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Sure theyre hardly going to turn you away if youre returning home to your country of citizenship!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Sail in to Belfast from Liverpool and avoid all the stress.

True... An 8 hour sailing but saves a lot of hassle

Where are you seeing this? I’m travelling soon and I have seen no notifications of any sort and know of no restrictions to essential travel only. I certainly wouldn’t be worrying about it anyway, but curious to see where you think it says this?

In a contact with irish ferries. They say themselves won't check but that the port authorities could there being a vague and sketchy with their wording which was causing me concern.

Sail in to Belfast from Liverpool and avoid all the stress.

Not great of your heading down to tipp thought! Don't fancy the 3.5 hr drive after already doing a 6hr drive in uk

Not great of your heading down to tipp thought! Don't fancy the 3.5 hr drive after already doing a 6hr drive in uk

To avoid self isolating for 14 days, what's a 3,5hr drive

• Advertisement

It's not mandatory, only filling in the forms is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

My thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

MicK10rt wrote:

So you don't intend to self isolate when you arrive here?

Zero responsibility here.
    Cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Cop on
    if the government intended quarantine to be compulsorary then they would surely enforce it

In Italy, Germany and Czech its €5,000, €25,000 and 100k of a fine respectively, and they check up you are in quarantine.

In ireland theres no punishment or checks, beyond the requirement to fill a form at port of entry, and from reports even thats not enforced if you are not an irish resident. Its a sham of a "rule" (is it even a law?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Only people that are responsible will do the 14 day quarantine.

Only people that are responsible will do the 14 day quarantine.

My view on this is very simple, it won't be shared by many, but it is my view. People need to get on with their lives. This whole thing has been blown up by epic proportions, not helped by the Irish media, namely Rte. At some point we need to be sensible and open our economy back up, including travel. Those that are fit an able will go about there lives as normal, those that aren't will need to be responsible for their own health, if they don't feel safe going out then stay in. If we continue to enforce silly quarantine measures our economy will suffer. When will the suffering end? There is no hope of a vaccine on the horizon, when will enough be enough? The idea that we should shut down and keep everything locked down etc is not sustainable. Covid is here to stay, like all serious illness, we just need to learn to live with it.

if the government intended quarantine to be compulsorary then they would surely enforce it

In Italy, Germany and Czech its €5,000, €25,000 and 100k of a fine respectively, and they check up you are in quarantine.

In ireland theres no punishment or checks, beyond the requirement to fill a form at port of entry, and from reports even thats not enforced if you are not an irish resident. Its a sham of a "rule" (is it even a law?)

Not written in law. I take precautions on my side, I am responsible, but the idea of coming back to visit family is not staying inside for two weeks.

Cop on

Uh you've made such a strong argument there. But in all seriousness set aside any prerequisite notions you already have and look at this situation from a neutral position. I don't blame you as you're a victim of the Irish media. It is easy to see how you've formed that view, I should know my parents are of a similar view, scared to death to go outside because of something they've heard on RTE or local amateur radio. I base my views on a more scientific approach, but also an economic one. How many people have lost jobs, depression may have set in, future problems with even higher suicide as a result. If we continue to lock down and control things this will only deepen, vs of course people who will die of covid. This is only but one example. People might recoil in horror at the idea of herd immunity, but in reality as cruel as it sounds, there is something there. I think a certain level of covid will need to remain in order to allow this to happen, obviously not enough to overwhelm the health care system, but some. A vaccine is not coming. I do wonder/worry that even the smallest outbreaks in the future will warranty a similar approach from governments. I would also worry about the powers that government now have, it seems we are living under an iron curtain. Look at pubs, the notion that food can somehow protect you from covid, another hair brained idea dreamt up by a drip in government. How many times this week have I heard of the local pub in town having to shut it doors because they wernt serving food, guards going in and telling people to leave if they stay too long. This is the kind of stuff that used to happen decades ago. We have lost a lot of control in our lives. It really is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip> We have lost a lot of control in our lives. It really is worrying.
    +1

going slightly off topic here, but in Germany theres been a few court cases testing whether corona measures were unconstitutional and against peoples right to freedom (this with the dual background of periods under Nazi and Stasi dictatorships in the country in the past 100 odd years) which back in April/ May were thrown out when infections were in full flow, but now its come to the stage that many cases are overturning the government measures for being disproportionate to the threat, the last 2 that spring to mind being a temporary lockdown ruled out of order this week and arbitrary pub closing times being out of order a couple of weeks ago (so now pubs in Bavaria can open all night! )

In comparison Ireland seems to revel in the lack of freedom even when the virus is long under control. Almost nobody questioning if the government is going too far for too long, let alone challenging it in the courts.

as to the original issue of whether you should do quarantine, if like myself you would be arriving to meet relatives, despite ZERO logic behind the measure, I wouldnt be comfortable in meeting anyone after arriving from abroad.
    Not because of any risk but from not wanting to put my parents or anyone else in an uncomfortable position dealing with the fear instilled into them by the media and Tony and the guys

• Advertisement

Uh you've made such a strong argument there. But in all seriousness set aside any prerequisite notions you already have and look at this situation from a neutral position. I don't blame you as you're a victim of the Irish media. It is easy to see how you've formed that view, I should know my parents are of a similar view, scared to death to go outside because of something they've heard on RTE or local amateur radio. I base my views on a more scientific approach, but also an economic one. How many people have lost jobs, depression may have set in, future problems with even higher suicide as a result. If we continue to lock down and control things this will only deepen, vs of course people who will die of covid. This is only but one example. People might recoil in horror at the idea of herd immunity, but in reality as cruel as it sounds, there is something there. I think a certain level of covid will need to remain in order to allow this to happen, obviously not enough to overwhelm the health care system, but some. A vaccine is not coming. I do wonder/worry that even the smallest outbreaks in the future will warranty a similar approach from governments. I would also worry about the powers that government now have, it seems we are living under an iron curtain. Look at pubs, the notion that food can somehow protect you from covid, another hair brained idea dreamt up by a drip in government. How many times this week have I heard of the local pub in town having to shut it doors because they wernt serving food, guards going in and telling people to leave if they stay too long. This is the kind of stuff that used to happen decades ago. We have lost a lot of control in our lives. It really is worrying.
    Gemma, is that you?
    Who mentioned anything about the media?
    You're completely paranoid.

Too many people on this forum have convinced themselves that foreign travel is perfectly safe, as it suits their own narrative

We could easily book a holiday abroad and go.
    But we won't - as we have a responsibility to our work colleagues, family members and others in our community not to bring covid back with us

Gemma, is that you?
    Who mentioned anything about the media?
    You're completely paranoid.

Too many people on this forum have convinced themselves that foreign travel is perfectly safe, as it suits their own narrative

We could easily book a holiday abroad and go.
    But we won't - as we have a responsibility to our work colleagues, family members and others in our community not to bring covid back with us

No one is forcing you to go abroad. I have booked many trips abroad and have availed of good discounts too. Some might happen, some might not. It should be my choice, and not someone else's. If you don't like it then go hide in your bomb shelter. As for my upcoming trip, I will arrive, fill out the forms, and go on as normal. My family are okay with this. They've come there senses.

I'm not paranoid, living outside of Ireland has allowed me to look at what's being said in the media at home, and I took a neutral view initially. But at some point the penny dropped. As you know, Rte and government are in bed together. How can you believe anything they tell you, they are pushing the covid narrative.

+1

going slightly off topic here, but in Germany theres been a few court cases testing whether corona measures were unconstitutional and against peoples right to freedom (this with the dual background of periods under Nazi and Stasi dictatorships in the country in the past 100 odd years) which back in April/ May were thrown out when infections were in full flow, but now its come to the stage that many cases are overturning the government measures for being disproportionate to the threat, the last 2 that spring to mind being a temporary lockdown ruled out of order this week and arbitrary pub closing times being out of order a couple of weeks ago (so now pubs in Bavaria can open all night! )

In comparison Ireland seems to revel in the lack of freedom even when the virus is long under control. Almost nobody questioning if the government is going too far for too long, let alone challenging it in the courts.

as to the original issue of whether you should do quarantine, if like myself you would be arriving to meet relatives, despite ZERO logic behind the measure, I wouldnt be comfortable in meeting anyone after arriving from abroad.
    Not because of any risk but from not wanting to put my parents or anyone else in an uncomfortable position dealing with the fear instilled into them by the media and Tony and the guys

You make good points, at the end of the day they managed to see sense, as well as the in laws. As I previously said, precautions have already been taken on this side when I travel, and I get the ferry a lot, I usually find a spot inside the door and sleep for 4 hrs. This is the only time I leave the car the entire journey. I think I'm fairly sensible when it comes so avoiding contact with people. I teach in a school, so am well aware of how to manage risk vs having to just get on with it. The power that we have given up is my biggest concern right now, not covid.

The problem as I see it is the arbitrary nature of the setup. If I keep my booking for Holyhead to home, I may have to isolate for 14 days. Not planning on going many places but home, but still awkward.

But if I go Liverpool to Belfast and drive to Dublin then no restrictions and no quarantine...

Silly

The problem as I see it is the arbitrary nature of the setup. If I keep my booking for Holyhead to home, I may have to isolate for 14 days. Not planning on going many places but home, but still awkward.

But if I go Liverpool to Belfast and drive to Dublin then no restrictions and no quarantine...

Silly

It's not written in law that you must, so I don't get your reasoning no one will make you quarantine. Fill out the forms maybe, even this is a bit shady. Ireland being what it is these things are still very much paper and pen. Can't imagine they will have the latest software to track your movements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ah the old "others are doing it better" reply that as usual has no basis in fact.

Yes one of the federal German states had an "UP TO" €25,000 fine, but in reality it was a €200 fine and no longer applies.

Same in italy and Czech republic.

But they all depended on voluntary adherence as you simply cannot police all the roads into and out of the countries

But your post, just like a tabloid headline, it is technically truthful but no where near reality.

It's not written in law that you must, so I don't get your reasoning no one will make you quarantine. Fill out the forms maybe, even this is a bit shady. Ireland being what it is these things are still very much paper and pen. Can't imagine they will have the latest software to track your movements

There is no requirements or form filling if you come from Northern Ireland, as far as I know, that’s my point. So nothing to enforce rather than not being enforced

My view on this is very simple, it won't be shared by many, but it is my view. People need to get on with their lives. This whole thing has been blown up by epic proportions, not helped by the Irish media, namely Rte. At some point we need to be sensible and open our economy back up, including travel. Those that are fit an able will go about there lives as normal, those that aren't will need to be responsible for their own health, if they don't feel safe going out then stay in. If we continue to enforce silly quarantine measures our economy will suffer. When will the suffering end? There is no hope of a vaccine on the horizon, when will enough be enough? The idea that we should shut down and keep everything locked down etc is not sustainable. Covid is here to stay, like all serious illness, we just need to learn to live with it.

Considering you are coming from the UK, where they have no idea of their numbers, there is a greater risk. All you have to do is stay in for x amount days and then you are free go get on with your life.

Things are opening up and we are close to be fully open. Let's keep it open and don't shut us down again.

Considering you are coming from the UK, where they have no idea of their numbers, there is a greater risk. All you have to do is stay in for x amount days and then you are free go get on with your life.

Things are opening up and we are close to be fully open. Let's keep it open and don't shut us down again.

Your missing the point. The very idea of quarantine is too little to late. It's no longer fit for purpose. The UK have taken a far more interesting approach, with air bridges to certain countries. If you look at the infection rate per head, ireland doesn't exactly come off looking good in the overall figures. We don't need quarantine we need visitors now more than ever. Where is our air bridge? Do they honestly think it will just go away?

• Advertisement

Your missing the point. The very idea of quarantine is too little to late. It's no longer fit for purpose. The UK have taken a far more interesting approach, with air bridges to certain countries. If you look at the infection rate per head, ireland doesn't exactly come off looking good in the overall figures. We don't need quarantine we need visitors now more than ever. Where is our air bridge? Do they honestly think it will just go away?

UK doesn't know its infection rate. They only test if admitted to hospital. I know this because I had relations in the UK get the virus, almost on death bed but was told not to come to the hospital till lips turn blue basically!!!

Yeah if you look at figures per head we don't look great, but if you look at how quickly we got it down, it looks impressive. Stats can be made to look which ever way you want it.

Yes the virus won't go away, but if we can restrict them that's all the better. We can't allow it to run rampant.

Advertisement