Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arriving by ferry during Covid

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MicK10rt

UK doesn't know its infection rate. They only test if admitted to hospital. I know this because I had relations in the UK get the virus, almost on death bed but was told not to come to the hospital till lips turn blue basically!!!

Yeah if you look at figures per head we don't look great, but if you look at how quickly we got it down, it looks impressive. Stats can be made to look which ever way you want it.

Yes the virus won't go away, but if we can restrict them that's all the better. We can't allow it to run rampant.

I've lived in the UK for 6 years and I can tell you with certainty that this was not the case, testing was slow initially, but overtook many European countries very quickly. They also didn't charge an extortionate rate for a test which possible is putting many off a test in ireland.
    It should also be noted that ireland is a relatively sparsely populated area, and by our very nature we are probably isolated as individuals. This is not the case in the UK. There are factors at play of course.

The stats don't lie, I do feel that on reflection, the current government of Ireland will have a lot to answer for itself when this is over, what happened in care homes etc. All very grey at the moment but the true scale will eventually be uncovered and I just can't help but feel that we wil look back on this and what the government has done in shame.

Only time will tell of course

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jambalaya

MicK10rt wrote: »
    I've lived in the UK for 6 years and I can tell you with certainty that this was not the case, testing was slow initially, but overtook many European countries very quickly. They also didn't charge an extortionate rate for a test which possible is putting many off a test in ireland.

Testing in Ireland is free for everyone.

Jambalaya wrote: »
    Testing in Ireland is free for everyone.

I should clarify, testing is free here, in ireland you pay 250 for a test if you want one private, vs those that are admitted to hospital Here I can just turn up at my local testing place and get one for free on NHS, sick or not

• Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My view on this is very simple, it won't be shared by many, but it is my view. People need to get on with their lives. This whole thing has been blown up by epic proportions, not helped by the Irish media, namely Rte. At some point we need to be sensible and open our economy back up, including travel. Those that are fit an able will go about there lives as normal, those that aren't will need to be responsible for their own health, if they don't feel safe going out then stay in. If we continue to enforce silly quarantine measures our economy will suffer. When will the suffering end? There is no hope of a vaccine on the horizon, when will enough be enough? The idea that we should shut down and keep everything locked down etc is not sustainable. Covid is here to stay, like all serious illness, we just need to learn to live with it.

Stay where you are will ya.

Cheers.

We don't need this sort of nonsense coming in from la la land by car.

listermint wrote: »
    Stay where you are will ya.

Cheers.

We don't need this sort of nonsense coming in from la la land by car.

Unlucky. Its that kind of nonsense that's going to sink the country and the economy. Get a grip will ya! The rate of mortality among the young is low,. .18% may need icu. If your worried then lock yourself inside, I plan on getting on with it. Life's too short to be waiting for the vaccine. The over 50s have had their day. I'm young, I'm going to live my life. Those that can, will, those that can't won't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭CassieManson

MicK10rt wrote:
    Unlucky. Its that kind of nonsense that's going to sink the country and the economy. Get a grip will ya! The rate of mortality among the young is low,. .18% may need icu. If your worried then lock yourself inside, I plan on getting on with it. Life's too short to be waiting for the vaccine. The over 50s have had their day. I'm young, I'm going to live my life. Those that can, will, those that can't won't!

All cases reported today were under 44 and 77% are under 25

All cases reported today were under 44 and 77% are under 25

And the likelyhood of any of those dying is very very very slim. The young will get covid no doubt, but most will survive it. All the more reason to get back to some sort of normality. The under 50's that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭CassieManson

And the likelyhood of any of those dying is very very very slim. The young will get covid no doubt, but most will survive it. All the more reason to get back to some sort of normality. The under 50's that is.

You will be visiting family - presumably some of them will be old (over 50!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

While not as vehement as one of the other posters, what makes you think it's any more likely that they or indeed myself have it just because coming from England, than you have?

I've been more isolated than my family in Ireland and will travel with family that I have solely been connected with.

Advertisement