Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone arrived back at Dublin Airport recently ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I'm glad you're not a Garda. Locking people up for committing imaginary crimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭bladespin

Simon Harris needs to make it clear law that ppl need to quarantine. Otherwise the guards force the person to quarantine in the local garda station cells.

Kidnapping is illegal (even for the gardai), without a crime being committed the gardai won’t detain you.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Simon Harris needs to make it clear law that ppl need to quarantine. Otherwise the guards force the person to quarantine in the local garda station cells.

They've been advised that it's legally complex and open to challenge which is why they haven't done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bladespin wrote: »
    The isolation is optional, it’s requested but not legally required, many essential workers have been travelling back and forward between Ireland and the UK.

It's a requirement to give the address where you'll be isolating for the next 14 days.. I mean I don't know how much clearer this can be? "You may be contacted during the 14 days after you arrive in Ireland to check that you are self-isolating."

And yes of course, theres exemptions for certain Essential workers, medical staff, Aviation crew, Truckers and so on..

That doesn't include tourists or general business people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dante7 wrote: »
    I'm glad you're not a Garda. Locking people up for committing imaginary crimes.

It’s not imaginary.

Ppl are asked to self isolate for 14 days

If they don’t want to, the guards should make certain they do

Simon Harris needs to get this into law with no loop holes

Wha??

Fill the local garda stations with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It's a requirement to give the address where you'll be isolating for the next 14 days.. I mean I don't know how much clearer this can be? "You may be contacted during the 14 days after you arrive in Ireland to check that you are self-isolating."

And yes of course, theres exemptions for certain Essential workers, medical staff, Aviation crew, Truckers and so on..

Where do you read that ? I only see this on the form and theres a difference

You may be contacted during the 14 days following your arrival in the State to verify the
    information you have given in the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Only the form is mandatory. Isolating is optional.

cnbyz wrote: »
    Where do you read that ? I only see this on the form and theres a difference
    You may be contacted during the 14 days following your arrival in the State to verify the
    information you have given in the form.

Well, ok by law you have to fill in the form, and you are Expected to self-isolate, therefore my point is that no Businesses will send their employee's into a country and instruct them to ignore the local laws and requirements.
    Same for a tourist, especially if they come from a country where a 14 day self-isolation means you do exactly that....

Self-isolation - Gov.ie

You are also asked to self-isolate for 14 days if you arrive in Ireland from any overseas country. This includes Irish citizens coming home.

Self-isolation means staying indoors and completely avoiding contact with other people.

Further advice for people who have recently returned from abroad is available from the HSE.

Reopen.eu:

Passengers arriving to Ireland from overseas are legally required to complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form.
    Passengers arriving from overseas are expected to self-isolate for 14 days.

• Advertisement

Well, ok by law you have to fill in the form, and you are Expected to self-isolate, therefore my point is that no Businesses will send their employee's into a country and instruct them to ignore the local laws and requirements.
    Same for a tourist, especially if they come from a country where a 14 day self-isolation means you do exactly that....

Self-isolation - Gov.ie

You are also asked to self-isolate for 14 days if you arrive in Ireland from any overseas country. This includes Irish citizens coming home.

Self-isolation means staying indoors and completely avoiding contact with other people.

Further advice for people who have recently returned from abroad is available from the HSE.

Reopen.eu:

Passengers arriving to Ireland from overseas are legally required to complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form.
    Passengers arriving from overseas are expected to self-isolate for 14 days.

Doesn’t change the fact that the self isolation can’t be enforced. It is not a legal requirement. It is a request. But you are right that a company couldn’t send someone overseas without facilitating their isolation, nor let an employee come in to the office if it is known that they have been abroad (even if that means unpaid leave)

Doesn’t change the fact that the self isolation can’t be enforced. It is not a legal requirement. It is a request. But you are right that a company couldn’t send someone overseas without facilitating their isolation, nor let an employee come in to the office if it is known that they have been abroad (even if that means unpaid leave)

True...

I just find it amazing that it's a requirement now and I remember walking through the airport in March and seeing the HSE hand out covid info sheets, which most people either just walked on by or binned them outside..

It’s very clear, you are obliged to fill out the form (correct details or otherwise), it’s requested but not an obligation to isolate. Not my opinion, fact, I make no comment re agreement or otherwise.
    The law is the same for all, doctor or tourist, they can check you are isolating but that’s all they can do, if you’re not you’re bold but that’s it.

As with the ‘lockdown’ you would be amazed by the number of essential workers and what work is classed as essential.

There are also the self employed, not sure how their business would expect them to isolate after travel etc etc.

It’s very clear, you are obliged to fill out the form (correct details or otherwise), it’s requested but not an obligation to isolate. .

I've made my point and I won't repeat it again, it's a 14 day isolation which private businesses and travel company's won't encourage/recommend/support any of their employee's or customers to ignore and work/tour in Ireland.

Whether people choose to ignore it or not due to no Garda checks is their own personal business.

which private businesses and travel company's won't encourage/recommend/support any of their employee's or customers to ignore and work/tour in Ireland.

It's happening whether you choose to ignore it or not, I've encountered it personally.

That's my point, I agree with you in principle but that's how it is.

Personally I'm waiting until the 9th to plan holidays abroad this year and have postponed all my UK work for the foreseeable future (it is classed as essential).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Kidnapping is illegal (even for the gardai), without a crime being committed the gardai won’t detain you.

It is actually an offence under the 2020 Health Act. If a medical professional deems it the Guards have the power to lift you. It would not happen in the case of just refusing to quarantine only if your refusing after a positive test.

• Advertisement

For all intents and purposes it is a 2 week quarantine, what company would send any employees here based on that, same for tourists who just want a relaxing break.. no one will come here while the requirement to self-isolate is in effect.

For sure. But for us Irish travelling to say the UK and coming back it literally is just a matter of filling in the form and going on your merry way.

kn wrote: »
    It is actually an offence under the 2020 Health Act. If a medical professional deems it the Guards have the power to lift you. It would not happen in the case of just refusing to quarantine only if your refusing after a positive test.

Different thing though, flying back in from a job/hol and carrying on as normal vs knowingly putting others at risk.

In that scenario I could think of other laws that could be applied too, assault etc if someone was infected through your actions; but I might be a bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm aware of someone who is currently in Spain on a jolly for 4-5 days and due to return tomorrow
    Is not going to self isolate and is going to go back into normal life, circulating in public and go to work on a site with over 1500 people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Thats also a failure of the employer as they require a return to work questionnaire and should ask "Have you been advised to self isolate?"

Thats also a failure of the employer as they require a return to work questionnaire and should ask "Have you been advised to self isolate?"

I wasn’t aware of that requirement, is it new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

I am due to return to Ireland this Friday and will self isolate regardless what the law says. This is no joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

For sure. But for us Irish travelling to say the UK and coming back it literally is just a matter of filling in the form and going on your merry way.

This is why the new minister for health needs to have clear laws in place about the quarantine

Harris didn’t get it sorted in his time in health so over to you Donnelly.

That should read: "Have you been advised by a doctor to self isolate?"

Return to work form from the HSA, again, not sure of the legislation behind it or whether it's just advisory, as usual gov.ie is as clear as mud.

Different thing though, flying back in from a job/hol and carrying on as normal vs knowingly putting others at risk.

In that scenario I could think of other laws that could be applied too, assault etc if someone was infected through your actions; but I might be a bit harsh.

It would be totally impossible to make that charge or prosecute it. Its not as if the virus will have your DNA on it.

It would be totally impossible to make that charge or prosecute it. Its not as if the virus will have your DNA on it.

I'm not so sure, willingly putting someone at risk who then contracts the virus etc etc, though as I said it's probably a bit harsh, though is it as bad as concentration camps at the airports??? Yeah, it was meant as a 'tongue in cheek' answer.

Ireland has been excluded from the EU safe countries travel zone. So that's people with their Ryanair flights banjoed. We are only excluded because the UK won't join and we will not either because of the common travel area.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/ireland-left-out-as-eu-opens-borders-to-15-states-including-australia-canada-and-japan-1.4292678

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ireland has been excluded from the EU safe countries travel zone. So that's people with their Ryanair flights banjoed. We are only excluded because the UK won't join and we will not either because of the common travel area.

https://www.irishtimes.com

Don't think it's that simple, but it is complicated just the same!

Ireland has every competence to block travel to and from the UK, but then there is the open border with NI. I can't join the dots here, can anyone else?

I doubt we will be banned from intra EU travel, but maybe because of the UK element we could be excluded. I dunno.

Won't be banned from any EU country though it really is a killer blow to the tourism and hospitality sector.

Don't think it's that simple, but it is complicated just the same!

Ireland has every competence to block travel to and from the UK, but then there is the open border with NI. I can't join the dots here, can anyone else?

I doubt we will be banned from intra EU travel, but maybe because of the UK element we could be excluded. I dunno.

It looks to me to be very handy for the government. A convenient excuse to not get involved in EU arrangements, which clearly are not supported by the government, as long as the UK does not

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

So is Garda actively contacting people who arrived in country now? are they calling or coming to the house?
    what will happen if u r not at home when they check? do they have any legal authorities to do anything?

• Advertisement

kris_2021 wrote: »
    So is Garda actively contacting people who arrived in country now? are they calling or coming to the house?
    what will happen if u r not at home when they check? do they have any legal authorities to do anything?

The HSE not the Gardai are contacting people from the dealis on the form - I know only one person who arrived back from working abroad and they received a phonecall to verify etc etc. that was it. The legal requirement is to fill out the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

The HSE not the Gardai are contacting people from the dealis on the form - I know only one person who arrived back from working abroad and they received a phonecall to verify etc etc. that was it. The legal requirement is to fill out the form.

so you tell them you are at the address you supposed to be over the phone and that is it?

so you tell them you are at the address you supposed to be over the phone and that is it?

Yes, that's pretty much it, no others checks since we spoke last week.

Answer to all the above is no. There is no law on the matter other than to fill in the form correctly.

Commentary on twitter that Social Welfare were getting the PPS numbers of departing passengers at Dublin Airport today to compare against Welfare payments.

Advertisement