Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scabs?

Options
  • 19-02-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been all over Wicklow and Dublin today and I saw several Tesco protests. The only really empty carpark was Bray, the rest of them looked pretty busy tbh, some like Glenageary outright packed.

Tbh whatever you think of unions and whatnot I dont think any Tesco employee is living the highlife and the company could generally be described as a scummy operation especially the stories you hear about their attitude to suppliers, I doubt their attitute to staff is much better.

Its kind of shocking so many people would just drive past a picket like that, Im not from any union family and Im not in one myself but Id never cross a picket like that especially for a bit of Sunday shopping, felt a bit disappointing tbh. Do people just not give a fcuk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

People going shopping aren't scabs. People working during a strike are scabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What money are the pre 96 staff on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Thargor wrote: »

Its kind of shocking so many people would just drive past a picket like that, Im not from any union family and Im not in one myself but Id never cross a picket like that especially for a bit of Sunday shopping, felt a bit disappointing tbh. Do people just not give a fcuk?[/QUOTE]

I have mixed feelings about this, I WOULD NOT cross a picket line. BUT it's Sunday people have things to do for the week and it's Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Del2005 wrote: »
    People going shopping aren't scabs. People working during a strike are scabs.

I can never fathom how people that do this...think its a good idea

Theyll have to work/try live arpund the people theyve walked past??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banana Republican

You'd swear the long term staff were on huge money. They earn 14 euro an hour ffs how can that be considered good money?? . Tesco are a disgrace but they aren't the only ones. This race to the bottom is going to grind this country to a complete standstill if allowed continue.

Also shame on anyone passing the picket line.

• Advertisement

You'd swear the long term staff were on huge money. They earn 14 euro an hour ffs how can that be considered good money?? . Tesco are a disgrace but they aren't the only ones. This race to the bottom is going to grind this country to a complete standstill if allowed continue.

What positions pay €14 an hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

The deal offered by tesco was said to have been quite good, but as usual the union thought they'd try and squeeze more.

It backfired and they're now out on strike.

Btw, Tesco is a public company and mostly owned by pension funds of ordinary people - the media will never explain that as it doesn't paint the nasty "big business" picture they like to portray.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I can never fathom how people that do this...think its a good idea

Theyll have to work/try live arpund the people theyve walked past??

They have bills to pay and kids to feed.

What got me is the language used by the staff which was directed at the company. How they can return to work after the strike is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

222233 wrote: »
    What do you expect them to do though? Not do their shopping for the week?
    Because Tesco is the only shop these days? :confused:

I'd be slow to cross a picket line, but as another poster pointed out, people who do are not scabs, that's reserved for workers who break a picket line.

But another wrong is the flying picket. It's just rent a crowd stuff, patching up picket lines when a strike is flagging as happened in the Miners Strike in the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its terrible carry on from such a huge company.

Look after your workers and they tend to be in most cases better and hard working especially when their efforts are appreciated.

Sad to see this carry on and do hope they get out the other side OK.

As above they are not on big money or close at all. Hopefully its sorted soon as down wages for all the strike days is not good either.

Good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Are they barred from the other shops???

I was referring to the folks that crossed it to work....but you carry on misinterpeting

Thargor wrote: »
    Because Tesco is the only shop these days? :confused:

No but people are busy, people have things to do, it's not scabby to do your shopping, it doesn't mean you don't stand with or sympathise with others and their situation. I personally wouldn't do it unless I had to.

Are they barred from the other shops???

I was referring to the folks that crossed it to work....but you carry on misinterpeting

Apologises, I got confused from original post and people mentioning other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

No, just go somewhere else.

The Tesco workers aren't like the public sector waestrels - they're in a business where they have to compete with other shops (unlike the PS, who work in State monopolies and can bring entire sectors of the country/economy to a halt). With private companies like Tesco, you can just go to another store.

Also given how rare Private Sector strikes are relative to public sector, you have to suspect the company must have been a special kind of dick to push their workers to that point.

All you're being asked to do is go to another shop ... it's not a Herculean feat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Sometimes people are left with no choice. There maybe no other shops nearby or at least ones that sell the product or service they are looking for. Tesco Mobile comes to mind. Another example would be gluten free bread, its hard enough to get but with Tesco its very easy.

The people that annoy me are the people who will go in anyway because they couldn't care less. I was on Baggot Street on lunch the other day and there was a picket outside the store there. A particular group of customers were trying to cross the picket and the strikers pointed out their case and said there was a Spar across the road. The wallys was only looking to rise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

With the change of conditions are the staff not better of quitting and taking a constructive dismissal case?

ted1 wrote: »
    With the change of conditions are the staff not better of quitting and taking a constructive dismissal case?

Constructive dismissal cases are notoriously difficult, the bar is set very high. Most fail.

SeanW wrote: »
    No, just go somewhere else.

The Tesco workers aren't like the public sector waestrels - they're in a business where they have to compete with other shops (unlike the PS, who work in State monopolies and can bring entire sectors of the country/economy to a halt). With private companies like Tesco, you can just go to another store.

Also given how rare Private Sector strikes are relative to public sector, you have to suspect the company must have been a special kind of dick to push their workers to that point.

All you're being asked to do is go to another shop ... it's not a Herculean feat.

I'm just saying it wouldn't be convenient for everyone, as I already said I wouldn't do it.

I don't think it's fair to assume they are dicks, I'm not sure what the rate of pay for tesco is but is it inline with for instance, Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes, Supervalu?

Nope because if they left that would be it.

They are fighting to keep the contract they agreed to.

Its crazy to be honest the company makes a fortune in the Irish market and really should look after staff especially long term that have given many years service.

Also thinks its a sh1ty move where people pass by and continue shopping.

Dunne's was at the same crap and treating staff like rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

They could take redundancy of over €100,000

The unions won't tell you that Tesco gave a written guarantee that earnings would not drop.

Union simply spouted misinformation and some suckers believed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm just saying it wouldn't be convenient for everyone, as I already said I wouldn't do it.

I don't think it's fair to assume they are dicks, I'm not sure what the rate of pay for tesco is but is it inline with for instance, Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes, Supervalu?
    I don't know the finer points and don't claim to, but the public service unions routinely use strikes as a bargaining chip. Private sector strikes are very rare these days. So in wondering why these guys are an exception, I have to apply Occam's Razor "the simplest explanation is usually the correct one" and assume that Tesco management did something to justify the workers becoming an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't see the issue crossing a picket?

People are entitled to strike. I'm under no obligation to support that strike.

What's the issue here?

Delacent wrote: »
    They could take redundancy of over €100,000

The unions won't tell you that Tesco gave a written guarantee that earnings would not drop.

Union simply spouted misinformation and some suckers believed it.

I call bull.

That I don't believe for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

seamus wrote: »
    I don't see the issue crossing a picket?

People are entitled to strike. I'm under no obligation to support that strike.

What's the issue here?

I hope you never need to use recourse to strike in a dispute with an employer. What has happened to us as a people? No solidarity at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Grueller wrote: »
    I hope you never need to use recourse to strike in a dispute with an employer. What has happened to us as a people? No solidarity at all.
    Solidarity with what? So you support any strike, regardless of what it's about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Wouldn't be a blind supporter of all strikes, especially some of the ones we witness in ireland but I would support one like this and not cross the picket. It's not exactly hard to switch supermarkets on the days there's a picket but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The rights and wrongs of the strike are another argument.
    The workers as members of a trade union have called a strike.
    Take a side.
    I'm not passing their picket.

seamus wrote: »
    Solidarity with what? So you support any strike, regardless of what it's about?

I support working people in general within reason. If it is for absolute rubbish no but this is people fighting for to keep what they originally got and have worked hard for it.

They have worked from before the boom through the boom through the crash and back out and are loyal so that in my book is a good worker and much better then the spongers out there that never work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I call bull.

That I don't believe for a second.

They were offered redundancy last year of 5 weeks wages per year uncapped, so a touch under 3k per year worked. Since most of them have been there over 20 years (pre-96) it's upwards of 55k or so per person. Honestly it's not bad for a someone on 26k per year, working on tills or stacking shelves and who could probably get another job easy enough with all that experience.

70% of them took the redundancy, but the rest are on strike over new changes to their contracts.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/over-70-of-long-serving-tesco-staff-accept-redundancy-offer-1.2618114

Advertisement