Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 101 - Know your rucks from your mauls!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In all my years I don't think I've ever seen an In-Goal that's 10 metres long. The In Goal of the back pitch in Donnybrook was even wedged shaped!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Question, if a player is tackled, goes down to a knee as he trys to break through, not fully brought to deck. Can the jackler go in for the ball and have no obligation to release/rebind if the ballcarrier hits the deck?

Question, if a player is tackled, goes down to a knee as he trys to break through, not fully brought to deck. Can the jackler go in for the ball and have no obligation to release?

Once you are brought down to your knee you are considered to be tackled and you must release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

When a penalty is given for the defence straying offside from a line-out before the ball has gone 15, where is the mark?

Hagz wrote: »
    When a penalty is given for the defence straying offside from a line-out before the ball has gone 15, where is the mark?

If they stray offside while the lineout is taking place, the penalty is taken on the 15 metre line parallel to where the offside line was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Just looking at the law book and tad confused over one aspect of the choke tackle

Now we know "When the ball carrier is held by one opponent and a team-mate of the ball carrier binds on to that ball carrier, a maul has been formed and a tackle cannot take place."
    We also know if "If the ball carrier has one knee or both knees on the ground, that player has been ‘brought to ground'"

So lets pretend opposition holding player up, no ball carrying teammate binds and the player manages to get knee down
    Now this is where I'm a tad confused- as "Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and do not go to ground are not tacklers." - so as far as I can tell the player has no obligation to release the player who was tackled ?

However the player who is "brought to ground" has to release the ball and we know "No player may prevent the tackled player from releasing the ball and getting up or moving away from it."

So if ball carrier gets knee to ground can ref penalise opposition under the "no player may prevent the tackle player from releasing the ball"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

Chargedown by Ireland that Rhys Priestland kicked out of the Welsh in-goal - I'm hearing if he touched it down it would be a drop out.

But that doesn't sound right to me, I don't think a chargedown is considered playing at the ball - I would have thought that's effectively defense bringing possession into in-goal and touching down which would be a 5m scrum.

Who's right?

A choke tackle is misleadingly named as it's actually a maul and not a tackle. For two opposing players standing and challenging for the ball to become a maul a third player from either team has to arrive and bind in.

Should the player in possession of the ball go to ground the maul is over, the tackle laws apply and the onus to release comes into play, both on the tackled and tackler. A player need not end up on the ground with the tackled player to complete a tackle; see Horgan at 20 seconds in for an example of same.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Just looking at the law book and tad confused over one aspect of the choke tackle

Now we know "When the ball carrier is held by one opponent and a team-mate of the ball carrier binds on to that ball carrier, a maul has been formed and a tackle cannot take place."
    We also know if "If the ball carrier has one knee or both knees on the ground, that player has been ‘brought to ground'"

So lets pretend opposition holding player up, no ball carrying teammate binds and the player manages to get knee down
    Now this is where I'm a tad confused- as "Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and do not go to ground are not tacklers." - so as far as I can tell the player has no obligation to release the player who was tackled ?

However the player who is "brought to ground" has to release the ball and we know "No player may prevent the tackled player from releasing the ball and getting up or moving away from it."

So if ball carrier gets knee to ground can ref penalise opposition under the "no player may prevent the tackle player from releasing the ball"?

A choke tackle is misleadingly named as it's actually a maul and not a tackle. For two opposing players standing and challenging for the ball to become a maul a third player from either team has to arrive and bind in.

oh ya im grand with that bit:)
    Should the player in possession of the ball go to ground the maul is over, the tackle laws apply and the onus to release comes into play, both on the tackled and tackler. A player need not end up on the ground with the tackled player to complete a tackle; see Horgan at 20 seconds in for an example of same.

see this is where I am confused
    Law Book states:
    • Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and bring that player to ground, and who also go to ground, are known as tacklers.
    • Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and do not go to ground are not tacklers.

So how come it says here if you "are not tackler" but you have to release the player like you were a tackler?

Law Book states:
    • Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and bring that player to ground, and who also go to ground, are known as tacklers.
    • Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and do not go to ground are not tacklers.

So how come it says here if you "are not tackler" but you have to release the player like you were a tackler?

In essence you can't play a player who is on the ground. You may take the ball from a player who is on the ground after a tackle but you can't play them and you can't hinder their effort to release or to pass the ball away or their effort to get to their feet if they weren't held in the tackle.

• Advertisement

thanks, this is what confused me
    So would a decent defense of the poorly named "choke tackle" be to get a knee to the ground and then the opposition player could be penalised as they "prevent the tackled player from releasing the ball and getting up or moving away from it"?

thanks, this is what confused me
    So would a decent defense of the poorly named "choke tackle" be to get a knee to the ground and then the opposition player could be penalised as they "prevent the tackled player from releasing the ball and getting up or moving away from it"?

You can try but it's unlikely to happen. The beauty of the choke tackle is that it is very hard to deal if you fall foul to it. When formed it's nigh impossible for the team in possession to drive the maul forward to try and win a scrum, it's nigh impossible to collapse a choke tackle legally or otherwise in order to try and turn it into a ruck and it's nigh impossible to retain possession by ripping out the ball to try and keep possession. In a way it's a perfect tactic as it's very very difficult to defend against once it's utilised.

Edit. Having read your post again we need to consider that there is an onus to on the ball carrier to release the ball when grounded as well as the tacler. It's also illegal to collapse a maul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Nermal wrote: »
    Chargedown by Ireland that Rhys Priestland kicked out of the Welsh in-goal - I'm hearing if he touched it down it would be a drop out.

But that doesn't sound right to me, I don't think a chargedown is considered playing at the ball - I would have thought that's effectively defense bringing possession into in-goal and touching down which would be a 5m scrum.

Who's right?

the ball has come off Toner, and as he was the last person to touch it, Priestland could have grounded the ball for a 22 drop out. Same if the ball goes into touch after a chargedown, the kicking team get the throw in as last person to touch the ball was the blocker.

Chargedown isn't considered playing the ball in the sense that the ref won't call a knock on against you, however you are still the last person to touch the ball.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not technically correct

the two opposing players standing, as you refer to, have to be joined by one of the ball carriers team mates to form a maul

there could be 15 defenders around the ball carrier holding him up, but thats not a maul.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Might be a silly question but what do the players generally 'chant' in a scrum just after the ref says "set"? Sounds like a count?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

degsie wrote: »
    Might be a silly question but what do the players generally 'chant' in a scrum just after the ref says "set"? Sounds like a count?
    All teams will have different calls. Its all about the timing of the hit and getting that right. It will be a command just to help with timing and helping attempt to win possession

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

When does a moving maul become a ruck? or can it?

Was confused in Leinster Zebre when what appeared to be a maul fell or was collapsed and opponent on the 'wrong /offside' side of the new ruck picked the ball and ran. Neither ref or linesman flagged it although it was clearly in their sight.

Steve wrote: »
    When does a moving maul become a ruck? or can it?

Was confused in Leinster Zebre when what appeared to be a maul fell or was collapsed and opponent on the 'wrong /offside' side of the new ruck picked the ball and ran. Neither ref or linesman flagged it although it was clearly in their sight.
    A maul ends successfully(can become a ruck) when the ball or a player with the ball leaves the maul, the ball is on the ground, the ball is on or over the goal line. So when a maul goes to ground/falls and is in the field of play it can become a ruck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

A maul ends successfully(can become a ruck) when the ball or a player with the ball leaves the maul, the ball is on the ground, the ball is on or over the goal line. So when a maul goes to ground/falls and is in the field of play it can become a ruck

worth adding that the ball needs to come out cleanly and immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I was sure I read somewhere that the lineout their did not need to be completely straight just as long as it was in the corridor after travelling five metres but I can't find it again.

Completely straight is sometimes not easy to achieve due to for example wind. Especially at amateur level most refs would be quite happy to see a "contestable" ball thrown as in the non throwing team had a reasonable chance to win the ball. When I referee a game for example and the hooker throws a crooked line out ball to his team's disadvantage I would play advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Interesting one there, I didn't know that you had to be in control of the ball to have it be in touch, but just touching it doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,784 ✭✭✭✭phog

This might be of some interest - a look at the new laws

• Subscribers Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

JP Doyle just saw the wigglesworth trip on the big screen in the stadium at Exeter V Saracens WELL after he'd asked the TMO if it was OK and he said there wWs no penalty. Doyle went back and gave Wigglesworth yellow... I thought the ref wasn't allowed to be influenced by the stadium screens?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

dregin wrote: »
    JP Doyle just saw the wigglesworth trip on the big screen in the stadium at Exeter V Saracens WELL after he'd asked the TMO if it was OK and he said there wWs no penalty. Doyle went back and gave Wigglesworth yellow... I thought the ref wasn't allowed to be influenced by the stadium screens?

I've seen Nigel Owens asking the TMO to put a certain angle on the screen so he can get a second look at an incident rather than wait for the TMO to review all the angles.

Maybe it's not strictly by the laws of the game, but it's common sense if a referee already suspects something but just wants a second look to be sure

Akrasia wrote: »
    I've seen Nigel Owens asking the TMO to put a certain angle on the screen so he can get a second look at an incident rather than wait for the TMO to review all the angles.

Maybe it's not strictly by the laws of the game, but it's common sense if a referee already suspects something but just wants a second look to be sure

He asked the TMO to look at it and the TMO said it was fine. Play went on and a few minutes later the stadium screen was showing the replay in slow motion - that was when he asked to see it himself. It allows the local production company to influence the ref.

dregin wrote: »
    They are allowed use the big screens to aid their decisions
    Akrasia wrote: »

It is by regs. Refs can use big screen to decide themselves or go to TMO for their decision

Grand. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

A maul can never become a ruck. You're thinking of a collapsed maul which is refereed differently. Opposition players are not obliged to roll away for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

phog wrote: »
    This might be of some interest - a look at the new laws

The maul ones are straightforward enough. The ruck ones will be interesting seeing as the human torpedo clearout has become de rigueur at most levels of the game now.

Advertisement