Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky 500MB Broadband, Tv and and Sky Sports €55pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

What’s the best way to get this deal if I am already a sky customer as my 24 month contract has just ended and now paying over €130 per month for tv and broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

loriexxx wrote: »
    What’s the best way to get this deal if I am already a sky customer as my 24 month contract has just ended and now paying over €130 per month for tv and broadband

you won't get a deal. You will have to contact sky, or look at the offers in the Sky App for you once you log in. I got Sky Sports, BT sports and Movies for 34.50 for six months (I'll cancel in six months time) provided I went into a new 12 month contract with them. I did.

Broadband was 35 a month for 12 months. The 12 months was up and they quoted me 75 for broadband. 75 euro......seriously. I rang them and the best they'd do was 50. So I switched broadband to EIR and got it for 30 euro for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

loriexxx wrote: »

I don’t know about this particular deal. But to get the best price you can, ring to cancel & see what they offer. If it’s no good, go ahead with the cancellation & join again as a new customer under a different name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I don’t know about this particular deal. But to get the best price you can, ring to cancel & see what they offer. If it’s no good, go ahead with the cancellation & join again as a new customer under a different name.

It doesn't work like that. I was told the address was not a new customer fir 12 months after cancelling. That's what I was told anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

mailburner wrote: »
    I got it soon after first bill too

Just realised I never got the €50 card. assume others would be the same so reminder to people to follow up as it popped into my head randomly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭razor12345

Folks, do you still need a landline for sky, I'm in this house approx 2 years, not sure when there w last was a land line here

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

Im wondering the same. No landline here.working off three wifi but its woeful. I assumed thats all that would be available to me without a phone line ( theres never been one here).Would be great to think theres an alternative. Weve had sky tv in the past, id get it back if it offered decent broadband at an affordable cost.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just got sky tv and broadband (openeir) installed in the last month. My tv box is only connected to a Coax cable and my router (to be able to download shows). I didn't get their phone package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭mel123

No you do not need a landline to get sky

• Advertisement

So, does that mean that even if i have no phone wires to the house at all, i could still get sky broadband? I had sky tv few years back, but at that time they told me i needed phone line for broadband. If not, i might give them a ring. Is sky broadband reliable for streaming etc. Our three signal is always buffering when we try to watch netflix etc.

carr62 wrote: »
    So, does that mean that even if i have no phone wires to the house at all, i could still get sky broadband? I had sky tv few years back, but at that time they told me i needed phone line for broadband. If not, i might give them a ring. Is sky broadband reliable for streaming etc. Our three signal is always buffering when we try to watch netflix etc.

yes I've a new build house that has zero POTS lines going into it, only fibre.

Sky use Siro or open eir for their broadband (which ever is available in your area). Majority of streaming is perfectly fine on 20-50mbps/sec (depending on how many devices for example). The speed you get on wifi really depends on the router the provider gives you, the sky one is rubbish and I use my own, I get 900mbps down when wired and 500mbps when on wifi. This is using a Unifi Dream Machine wireless access point and bare in mind it's not supported (in the way of tech support with Sky) so you're on your own if it breaks.

Mmm.....im very rural....no fibre to house so maybe its a no for me?

carr62 wrote: »
    Mmm.....im very rural....no fibre to house so maybe its a no for me?

They have an eircode checker on their website, you should check it out. Some rural places have more fibre than Dublin :pac:

Thanks, i will, but i wont hold my breath...i rang Eir during the last home schooling as we were struggling with poor broadband. They suggested i call back in around 5 years as fibre might be available to me then!!

legend99 wrote: »
    Just realised I never got the €50 card. assume others would be the same so reminder to people to follow up as it popped into my head randomly....

Not happy. Not happy at all. They replied saying the Master Card was only available until the 27th and I signed up after that. Which is interesting as I have a screenshot (thanks to advice here) where it says it is available for people signing up from 06/11/2020 to 30/11/2020.

I have told them I want the card issued immediately. I will formally lodge a complaint then on the basis of them furnishing me with false information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 carlos

Was just on to sky also about never receiving my €50 mastercard. They claimed I never selected it as part of the order (as some people don't want €50 apparently!!) Also stated as its gone too far its too late to rectify it and they wont be honoring their offer. I'm fairly sure it was selected and was in all their advertising material around Black Friday.

Note I placed my order on November 30th so maybe caught with the same systems issue as legend99 where it stopped tagging the offer to accounts after the 27th.

More sharp practice from Sky - will be losing me a customer once 12 months are up.

carlos wrote: »
    Was just on to sky also about never receiving my €50 mastercard. They claimed I never selected it as part of the order (as some people don't want €50 apparently!!) Also stated as its gone too far its too late to rectify it and they wont be honoring their offer. I'm fairly sure it was selected and was in all their advertising material around Black Friday.

Note I placed my order on November 30th so maybe caught with the same systems issue as legend99 where it stopped tagging the offer to accounts after the 27th.

More sharp practice from Sky - will be losing me a customer once 12 months are up.

Carlos. I fired the screenshot I have of it back at them. If you want to PM me I'd be happy to email it to you. I told them I wouldn't accept them not honouring it. They are going to credit my account with €50. In a classic though I told them I was extremely unhappy as they misinformed me about the 27th as I had the screenshot and I requested the detail of the complaints procedure as I well knew they would not have honoured it without the wise advice of someone here to screenshot it. They wrote back and said they were also the complaints team (I was on Twitter) so they had opened the complaint but they had immediately closed it as they "had done everything they could to resolve the matter"!! I was beyond speechless - they utterly missed the point of them giving me factually incorrect information which would have cost me €50 bar my luck of having the screenshot. So I'll be following up saying I'm not accepting their closing of the the complaint, certainly not with that conclusion. Anyway, PM me if you need the screenshot (it says offer until the 30/11/2020) and you want to use it to blow them out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 carlos

thanks legend99 will try with that, my order e-mail makes no mention of the 50 euro mastercard and sky are claiming i never selected it as part of the order, was it on your order summary e-mail?

carlos wrote: »
    thanks legend99 will try with that, my order e-mail makes no mention of the 50 euro mastercard and sky are claiming i never selected it as part of the order, was it on your order summary e-mail?

Sent your screenshot. My order doesn't say anything either. But I'd read the screenshot as saying it is just part of the offer. As it was at the time. It was plastered onto it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mel123 wrote: »
    No you do not need a landline to get sky

It depends on the package..

If they are reselling the eir "fibre" 100MB then yes you do. If it's Siro (500MB or above) then you don't.

It'll depend which is available in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

legend99 wrote: »
    Carlos. I fired the screenshot I have of it back at them. If you want to PM me I'd be happy to email it to you. I told them I wouldn't accept them not honouring it. They are going to credit my account with €50. In a classic though I told them I was extremely unhappy as they misinformed me about the 27th as I had the screenshot and I requested the detail of the complaints procedure as I well knew they would not have honoured it without the wise advice of someone here to screenshot it. They wrote back and said they were also the complaints team (I was on Twitter) so they had opened the complaint but they had immediately closed it as they "had done everything they could to resolve the matter"!! I was beyond speechless - they utterly missed the point of them giving me factually incorrect information which would have cost me €50 bar my luck of having the screenshot. So I'll be following up saying I'm not accepting their closing of the the complaint, certainly not with that conclusion. Anyway, PM me if you need the screenshot (it says offer until the 30/11/2020) and you want to use it to blow them out of it.

Can you pm me that screenshot also please. Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Whats the easiest way to cancel this offer now 12 months later? I see its 143euros for the 500mb offer in the coming months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Isn't there something on their dashboard for cancellations? But sky being sky, they won't let you leave easily and could offer you a good deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is their TV satellite based these days or is it Internet TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Satellite. Their Sky Go/Now TV streaming for a handful of stations is low quality, stops a lot and has some restrictions on programming so I wouldn't be ditching the satellite any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

What kind of offers are sky giving,I've missed a couple of calls from them,I'll update here when I eventually hear it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

What to do if already a sky customer , is it easy leave and rejoin again ?

I'm still a customer and going to stay one,tried Vodafone last year and I found the TV set up poor,there was a dedicated sky thread somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Trampas

Sky are easy to leave. You just say thanks but no thanks but put through my cancellation request. Problem is people let them do their spiel and to try and persuade you to stay. Just say I know it’s 30 days cancellation process and I can ring up and change my mind.

Done and dusted within minutes from ringing

You can message them on Facebook to cancel or negotiate a deal also, handy as you don't need to hang around on the phone they'll just message you back and forth throughout the day.

• Advertisement

Just as I was thinking about sky offers , look what pops into my email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's a lot easier these days. I just changed from Vodafone to Sky and it was a simple matter of unplugging the old modem and plugging in the new one. I also downgraded from 1Gbps to 500Mb as there is no disadvantage. Certainly, the new FTTH based connections do not require any manual exchange changes by Eir.

The only issue to smoothen the change over to is to change the new wifi SSID and password to match the previous one, especially for someone like me with a ton of wifi lights, switches, and other IoT devices.

Had there been a delay getting changed over anyway I'd simply use my mobile phone hotspot which works very well.

Was paying 72 euro/month for broadband, tv, cinema, netflix premium and uhd. It was set to go up to 155 euro in January. Called them and they offered the same package for 107 euro, 12 month contract. Haven't taken it yet but really don't fancy going back to Vodafone or Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You could clone the SSID and use same password

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Got this deal last year, retention offers have been crap and they blocked the eircode from signing up again (for 12 months I think).

They don't want my money so Vodafone it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

I'm still on the 55 a month for broadband,tv and sports,I'm on my last month.

the email I got is a bit unusually written, it seems like it's going to be the same €55 a month but it doesn't give an exact figure anywhere.

To be honest I wanted to stay with sky for the better tv service and would have stayed with them as long as I got some sort of deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

How long before your 12 months were up did they email you? I haven't gotten any off them yet

• Advertisement

I see Sky Signature and HD are going up by about €3.40 next month. Feck sake. Prices shouldn't be allowed change mid contract. Between that and variable gas and electricity rates we're getting absolutely taken for a ride in this country...

Mental money for a TV package but what's the alternative? They know everything else is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Spn744

If you want to invest in it I bought a Freesat 4K Box for €230 a year ago and never looked back. Connects to the Sky Q satellite and has all U.K. freeview channels that you can record on the hard drive. Granted it’s not a slick as the sky box but beats spending €30 per month. For sports & movie I use streaming services (Netflix etc)

Yeah I've been thinking about that. TV has dual satellite inputs and supports recording, just need to double check with herself that we're ok to cancel. Freesat seems to have all the channels we use the most, ever since I started using Film4 I've recorded tons of movies, more than when we had Sky Cinema. The channels are mostly just background noise when we are having dinner or can't be arsed finding something to watch so would mostly be CBS Reality for Judge Judy or TLC, Food Network etc which Freesat seems to have. Film4 isn't HD but I suppose for saving €45 a month just for basic channels I can't complain.

I’m chatting on FB with them. Someone suggested that few days ago. Not painless but definitely better than ringing. Just make sure to contact them early because it can take hours for them to reply & they finish up around 5.

Best offer I got is €58 for tv & broadband. That doesn’t include sports or movies.

I see last year’s deal is €60 this year. For €55 the new customer offer is the same as what they offering me now for €58.

Update:

He wouldn’t budge on that deal. €40 was for broadband & €18 for tv.

Eir & Vodafone have better BB deals. €18 for tv isn’t too bad but I barely watch it, so went ahead & cancelled.

Rang today to cancel after being on €65 deal for internet, TV, sky sports and sport extra package - they offered me same for €108 with breakdown as follows;

Internet €40

Sky Signature €38

Sky Sports €20

Sports Extra €10

I will definitely keep the internet at that price. I want the sports but I’m essentially paying €68 for it when you add in Signature which we don’t use much - so I could just get NOW TV for a good bit cheaper.

Anyone know if I go through with TV cancellation will I get a better offer there and then or hope for a call back before contract ends in 31 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Experiences vary but in mine, I didn't get a meaningful offer back from Sky so went with Vodafone.

Did you have to haggle much for the €18 on TV - I asked her could she do better than €38 on TV and she said she couldn’t..

Ya there was a bit of back & forth.

€108 is nuts. I was getting offered €81at first. That’s with Sports but without Sports Extra.

Went through with the cancellation - they came with no counter offers! I'd like to keep it really so hopefully they'll be in touch with an offer - if not I'll have to go crawling back!

Will they still offer me discounts if I call back a few days before they cut me off or will I be looking at the full price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭ruddy1987

Decent similar offer back this year…€60 per month for sports broadband and tv with €50 cash back and no set up fees.

https://www.sky.com/ie/deals

• Advertisement
Advertisement